“huge bungalow with great scenery”

Ocean View Dive Resort Tulamben
Ranked #5 of 14 Tulamben B&B and Inns
Singapore, Singapore
“huge bungalow with great scenery”
Reviewed June 4, 2013

Located at a perfect site, Tulamben. You can see Mt. Agung at the back of your bungalow and at the same time get a perfect view of the ocean just across the room. The room service was great, they gave us extra towels everyday and when asked for another towel, they happily gave it to us. The staffs were great, sincere greetings everywhere in the premises. They only have 9 bungalows, so that will guarantee you to have a great privacy during your staycation. Compare to other bungalows and villas at Tulamben, the room rate is slightly more ex. The dive center was also excellent, I took an open water dive course during my stay there. It was perfect! Restaurant menu were great, lots of variety, from Indonesian to western food. And the restaurant staff also willingly to serve sambal matah with no extra charge when you ask.
I gave them 4 out of 5, cause I think their restaurant can be improved, for the menu and the price too. Especially the variety for their breakfast menu.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank hazel_1509
jogjaputri, Manager at Ocean View Dive Resort Tulamben, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

We appreciate you taking the time to post such positive comments and it’s always great to hear that you enjoyed our service and facilities. We have conveyed your feedback to our associates and we do thank you for your review, your positive comments related with all your experience during your stay is really much valued for us to improve our services and facilities. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future at Ocean view Tulamben resort.

Sita

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Slovak first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed May 30, 2013

The location of the resort is absolutely perfect, just a short walk from the SS Liberty wreck--the reason we dive Tulamben. We were in room #4, which had a fantastic view of the pool and the ocean. The room is enormous and the bathroom is gigantic, with a tub enough for two. Beds were very comfortable.

Too bad the airconditioning was not working, and they couldn't get a technician in until the next day because the nearest town is 1.5hr away. Thankfully it was not a hot evening, so we were mostly OK. The next night, it was somewhat cooler, but not by much. Perhaps the small airconditioning unit was just too small for the massive room. The furniture was not maintained well, the top of the chair came off when I tried to move it.

Food was not bad, we ordered mostly local (Balinese) food and they were serviceable although nothing to write home about. The food at Tauch Tulamben is better.

The dive centre is quite well organized and well equipped, although I wish they'd had a lockable equipment shed so we can put our gear there overnight, instead of in our bathroom.

I'd come back but I'd avoid room #4.

Room Tip: Check that the airconditioning is working
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank irenenevada
London
Reviewed May 10, 2013

Moved here after staying in the North West of Bali. Used this as a base for diving at Tulamben and surrounding area.
The rooms are actually bungalows and are very large, the bathrooms being huge, with a great view of the ocean and pretty gardens. I really enjoyed having the space these rooms afforded.
The rooms are simply furnished, this is not a luxury resort, By this I mean there are not lots of wall hangings, ornaments etc. Rather it has what you need, two large single beds, desk unit and chair, TV, free WiFi, double wardrobe, fridge unit, kettle with tea and coffee. Did I mention the bathroom is huge with large corner bath, basin unit, very large walk in shower and a loo. The bungalows also have a veranda with sun lounger, two chairs and a table.
The dive centre is excellent, with great guides and great facilities (plenty of dip tanks, showers, loos, changing rooms, etc) The beach access from the hotel is approx 30 metres north of the Liberty wreck and there is, for Tulamben, good shore access directly in front. So entry is directly in front and a short fin to the wreck.
I like Indonesian food and the restaurant serves a wide range at very reasonable prices. The previous hotel only have 3 local dishes on their menu. They do have some western dishes as well although I never tried them other than the "american breakfast". I did look at other restaurants in Tulamber but ended up having every meal at Ocean View.
All the staff were very helpful and friendly, willing to stop whatever they were doing to help you. (example - when checking out I moved my luggage to the veranda. One of the gardeners came over and asked if I would like them taken to reception)
During some days the restaurant area became quite busy with divers from other areas diving Tulamben for the day and using Ocean View as their base. As a diver, I didn't mind this, could swap experiences of dive sites etc. But you are certainly in a diving resort.
I gave the room 4 rather than 5 as some of the furniture has seen better days. It all works but some catches were broken and some fitments a little "tired"
I wondered about giving it 4 or 5 overall, on balance I decided to award 5. For me the staff and the spacious rooms deserve it.
Would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: There are currently 3 rows of bungalows. One, Room 1, is in the front and partially blocks the view...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank PeterG_UK
jogjaputri, Manager at Ocean View Dive Resort Tulamben, responded to this review, May 11, 2013
Dear Mr.Peter

Thank you for your nice feedback.I’m glad to know that you enjoyed and satisfied with our service, especially our friendly staff and our property.We realized there are many things that needs to be improved and hope we can provide better service to our customer in the future.
i will share it to all the team and this will certainly motivate them to keep up the good work.
We look forward to welcome you again.
Thank you and have a wonderful time.

Kind Regards

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed March 14, 2013

This was my second visit to the Ocean View Resort. The accommodation is hard to beat, being well spread out on a stunning, well-planned site right next to the famous USAT Liberty wreck dive site. The rooms are huge and comfortable and the bathrooms enormous. Closer attention to maintenance would be helpful, however. The pool is a beauty! The massage service is goo and well priced. The food was much better on my second visit, but staff can be very noisy, particularly at breakfast time. The dive centre is excellent, perfectly located, well equipped with up to date equipment and well laid out facilities. The staff are skilled, well qualified and attentive. Made Sutama and Ketut Piarsa deserve special mention as impressive diving professionals. On the downside Ocean View is used daily by several dive shops from the South. This makes the place busy between and 10 am and 3 pm. These visitors tend to take over the restaurant during these times, which is not usually a problem, except when they use the restaurant as a changing room when residents are having lunch!

Overall, this is probably the best set up in Tulamben. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Rooms 1, 4 and 5 are the best in my opinion. Avoid Room 6, it can be noisy being next to the dive ce...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank EHinOz
Paris, France
Reviewed March 11, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Ocean View Dive Resort for one night in Feb 2013. I read the other reviews of the hotel and the management must have done something about the food because it was one of the better ones we had in Bali. Okay, we're not talking Michelin quality here but for Bali, it was really decent. The batter they used for their fried chicken was so delicious. I do agree with the other reviewers that it took a long time to be served. When they ask you at lunch what you would like for dinner - do tell them! You will probably eat 10 minutes after you're seated if you pre-order. While the staff were very friendly, I think additional training wouldn't hurt. One young lady server literally tossed away a bottle cap in the hotel grounds after opening a bottle of beer for us. The room was big and so was the bathroom. You could tell that the owners built the bathroom with divers in mind. Another couple of things they could improve on is providing mosquito nets in the bedroom and having nicer towels for the bath. The towels had the same quality as the YMCA.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Grace_Parigote
Dear Valued guest,

Thank you for choosing Ocean view Tulamben as your accommodation during your recent stay.
I am very pleased to read that overall you are highly impressed with the quality of stay at Ocean view tulamben especially our nice location, our helpful staff, and our restaurant food and service. We will note some points from you especially about the flies around the restaurant area. We believe that this feedback will be used as an encouragement to all of our staff to consistently improve our quality of services. And we hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.

La Grange, Kentucky
Reviewed February 27, 2013

For me everything about this resort is perfect! If you are a diver looking for the stay of a lifetime go to Ocean View in Tulamben. I found this resort by word of mouth in the area but mostly by accident and it was the most pleasant surprise in my traveling history! I can't say enough good things about this amazing resort, the views, the staff, the diving, the food, the rooms, the value, on a scale of 1 to 5, it was a 6!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank BozJ
jogjaputri, Front Office Manager at Ocean View Dive Resort Tulamben, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Dear Boz,
Thank you for your nice feedback.it was a great time having you here at our resort and we would love to welcome you back in the future with some more fun.

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed February 6, 2013

We had no expectations of this resort as the booking was made for us by our dive guide, the Dive Master for the resort.

We were very pleasantly surprised. The rooms were spotlessly clean and comfortable with all amenities. The position of this resort is excellent for diving and the dive centre is very well equipt and well run.

We actually extended our stay here, unfortunately not for a good reason though. We both came down with an illness (not Bali Belly) and were unable to travel on the day we were supposed to leave. The staff were lovely and went out of their way to help us and make us as comfortable as possible, even calling the doctor for us. They could not have been any more helpful or sympathetic, nothing was too much trouble for them.

The restaurant is just as good with all the meals we had here being very tasty and well prepared. Food prices were very reasonable, prices of alcoholic drinks were a little high though. The only complaint I could make about the restaurant is that at the time we were there there were heaps of flies around, and they were a problem in the restaurant.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple