All reviewsgarden cottagedive resortrestaurant staff aresecond homestandard roomgreat divingspecial thanksrocky beachldrlibertywayanpoolsgearmegamassagewreckbali
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Our driver directed us to this hotel and we didn't bother to look at his other option. The room was spacious, clean and, for the price, in good condition. A few renovations are needed but generally it was comfortable. Two lovely pools and a passable restaurant. Their biggest plus is the diving. I only snorkel and was provided with very good quality gear for three days ($6). My companion dived five times always with the same dive master. Her gear was stored so she could access it easily and didnt have to retry and change straps every dive. She is a novice diver (30 dives) and declared this # 2,3,4,5 and 6 on her list of best dives. The Liberty wreck is only 30 metres off shore and can easily be snorkelled or dived. The water is brilliantly clear. Even 5 metres from the shore you see the most amazing fish. The walk from Liberty to the beach is about 200 metres. The term beach is loosely used as this is a rocky, volcanic, black sand beach. It's not the sort of place kids build sandcastles.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank jvhs
Reviewed January 11, 2013

We spent in Liberty 9 days in November, 2012. Good room in the old part, 2 steps from the pool. Clean room with wardrobe, safe, refrigerator, aircon. Convenient bathroom, good bed. Dive centre is 10 meters away, restaurant - 25 meters. Best local food we tried in Bali (incl 4 other locations) Diveguide was very good. It is important for UW photographers. Real critter-spotter

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Andrey_Ryanskiy
Reviewed January 5, 2013

This is the kind of resort that makes you feel like going back again & again. Staffs are great, dive guides are super! This is my 2nd time stay w/ LDR, I went there alone for diving & u/w photography. Had dived w/ 3 dive guides, all were excellent. Room is big w/ balcony, I especially love the extra large bathroom. Location is great, only a very short walk straight down to the beach for 5:30am dive at Liberty wreck. Like the free Nitrox, daily free 2 bottles of water, and the after dive watermelon slices. Swimming pool is nice. Food is not cheap, but it's good. The whole resort is neat w/ staffs' & dive guides' excellent services. I had a great & memorable stay. Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank reneewoo
Reviewed January 5, 2013

We spent 9 days here in November and we loved every minute!

Room – We stayed in a delux garden villa – the setting around the garden was beautiful. There’s a stocked fridge in the room and we used it to keep water we bought from the local supermarket. The room itself was lovely it was cleaned every day, very spacious, had A/C, wi-fi so everything you needed and definitely great value for money .

Restaurant – The restaurant was lovely and the staff even better! We had breakfast included in the price – I’d highly recommend the banana pancakes – but you had a good choice of different dishes and drinks. They add some sort of powder/yoghurt to the fruit juices which was slightly strange but ok, the fresh fruit salad was lovely if you don’t like the juice. We ate here a few times and the food was nice and reasonably priced. We came in the low season and it was very quiet but don’t let this put you off – it will be quiet wherever you go! The restaurant staff were really friendly and you can tell they enjoy working there. On our last day we left a tip on the table and they came running after us to tell us we had left our money which showed just nice they were!

Facilities – The pool was great and if you’re too hot by the big pool then the smaller pool gets more shade. They’ve 3 places to get massages but the 2 gazebo’s above the pool are more secluded if you don’t want you’re massage in full view of people eating in the restaurant! The wifi signal isn’t great in the villa’s (intermittent and week signal) but you can get on in your villas you just need to be patient! The signal is fine in the restaurant and around the pool.

We booked 2 taxi tours from reception and we had Grand and Ricky as our drivers. Both were good and you can’t argue on the price – our own private taxi driver for the day was $58 or £34! I’d highly recommend a taxi tour if you want to see a bit more of Bali – we went to the rice fields, water gardens, blue lagoon beach, temple and traditional village over the 2 tours.

Location – You’re slightly on the edge of the village and if you’re going to the main stripe it’s a couple of minutes walk along the main road. Definitely take a torch if you’re walking into town at night as there are no street lights and pavements are used to park mopeds! Although there are no beach views the garden views are nice and the pebble beach is less than a minutes walk. It’s perfect if you’re diving the liberty wreck.

Dive centre - I’m not an experienced diver, I’ve done around 30 dives and have my PADI open water. As we were here for 9 days and my partner already has his Padi advanced I decided to do my advanced so we could go on deeper dives together. We started off with Wayan doing a refresher dive and the Liberty wreck. Liberty then organised an instructor for me as their normal instructor had been delayed with someone who needed additional support. I did the night dive at the wreck as part of the course and it was the best I’d ever had – bump head parrot fish sleeping on the wreck, huge potato groupers following our lights and a moray swimming I didn’t know where to look! Then we went to Kubu for a dive on our final day which was nice change after having dived the wreck a few times. My partner went to batu kelebit which he really enjoyed – the boat trip was only 10 minutes on a fisherman’s boat, great views of the mountain, he was the only person there, saw a reef shark and like Kubu loads of coral and fish. The guides were good – helped us spot things and I felt safe following them around. I wouldn’t say I learnt anything from my instructor (I learnt more from reading the book) and if you were are less confident then you may struggle with this approach.

Climate – We were slightly worried about coming in November as it was Low season – we shouldn’t have been! We didn’t get any rain and it was really hot! The sea was also really warm for diving.

Tulamben village and other restaurants – The village was very quiet but it had a supermarket and enough restaurants to eat somewhere different every night. It was perfect for us - no nightclubs or load bars and most people who stay here are divers.

We came in the low season and all the restaurants were quiet so don’t be afraid to go in even if the restaurant is empty! If you don’t like rice/noodles then you’re probably not going to like the food in Bahli! The eastern food is amazing so wherever you eat in Tulamben I’d recommend to stick to the eastern dishes (mie Goreng was my favourite – fried rice with prawn crackers and sometimes sate). Most places will do western food but they are more expensive and they never get it quiet right – we ordered garlic bread somewhere and got toast soaked in the strongest garlic I’d ever tasted!

The place with the best views is ToyaBali – we could only find the entrance off the beach but it has amazing views of the beach so best enjoyed during the day. We were the only people eating here both times we went but we put this down to us going during low season as the food was lovely, reasonably priced but the views were beautiful. If you’ve walked as far as Liberty or
Ocean view then it’s definitely walking a few more steps to eat here!

Tuach terminal as also beautiful and busier than other places we went. Mimpi a bit quieter and more exclusive although food was nice. Safety stop, was also busier and seemed to have a few expats and if you want western food this is the best place to go. We also ate at Wayan’s and Sandyaha which we’d also recommend. The only place we didn’t get great service was at Ocean View so I’d probably give that one a miss.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 29, 2012

a huge thank u to Wayan and his staff for an amazing stay.... great food with drinks etc. thank you to my dive guide (Wayan) i had a total blast diving with you. I do hope to join you again in the near future.... cheers from Simon

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo