Matahari Tulamben Resort, Dive & SPA
  • Beachfront
Akasa Villa(Tulamben)
Scuba Seraya Resort(Tulamben)
  • Restaurant
All reviewsliberty wreckdeluxe roomrooms are basicmosquito netdiving packagehot watertulamben areaearly morningrestaurant staffdiving centerdiving coursecoral gardensopen waterthese guysgreat divingfree nitroxbreakfast was included
Reviewed July 8, 2014 via mobile

I know matahari since 2003 and I often go back there and that resort is better and better and better.
Thank you all of you to give us great time.to keep your diving standart.and to improve the reef.what you have done in front of the resort is a fantastique place where day and night dive are a paradis

Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Bruno M
Reviewed July 2, 2014

I stayed in the Resort in the month of June for 1 week with my Family during annual vacation. The communication with Suci is super easy and prompt. No doubt on that and all was arranged without major discrepancy once we arrived in the Airport. The Pickup was already arranged and we could immediately leave to the Resort in Tulamben. The ride I think was around 2,5 to 3 hours and its a nice curved road :-(). Arrived at the Resort the Frontdesk was expecting us and all was prepared. My mistake was only that I misunderstood that the Bungalow is not the Family Bungalow which I was thinking to get because we travelled with our Nanny. Nevertheless it was my mistake and the Room was big enough to sleep in including Nanny and our 3 years old son. As I life in the Philippines im not expecting too much. The Resort is simple and easy. Nothing too much special. The people are a bit reserved but as soon as you get to know them they are kind and helpful on there best. It seems because of the language issue being shy to talk. The Spa is nice and the Staff is professional and can help you to relax and enjoy. Having a Diving Compressor that close to a Spa can might not be helpful. Spa is relax and continuois noise might irritate to the nice sounds they play. Rooms are nice, easy and clean. You have hot water and Aircon. Luckily you have a Mosquito net on the Master bed which should have been also provided on the extra bed. Just tell the staff when you leave the room and the will clean it nicely. Pool is nothing really to swim in. Its good for the Dive Operation only and my son who played at the stairs. Food: Good local food for a good price. Nothing to complain. Its good. Same Breakfast. Easy and ok. We eat a few Dinner there but change the location then to outside. I really appreciated that you make it possible that my son got his Birthday cake which I mentioned already during the inquiry. They did not even charge it and gave it as a gift. This was really not necessary but shows kindness and we share with other guests and the Staff. We are very happy on that. Dive Operation. The reason why we came. My wife is DM and im Instructor with many many dives. Simple Diveshop with ok attending people. Best is the Air. Super Clean. As I always check the Air and Compressor in Resorts you can be proud of that (June 2014!). Negative: All shore Dives and you have to walk to big waves and rocks into the sea. I dint get the point but are you waiting for an accident to happen? Just build a small pier out of wood with a ladder. USS Liberty is awesome not because of the Wreck itself but because of the whole scenery. Rest so so but many Fishes. We figured out the the Diveguide to be is Agus so ask for him. Thats it. Most negative for us was that in our Package was 1 day Inland tour to Temples. What a waste of time. Your driver from the Hotel is bringing you directly into the Arms of the Tourist Traps No. 1. Why? Are you getting commissions on that. Temple of Besakih. I did a mistake and didn't check online before as I always do. I trusted the Hotel. Just check out in Tripadvisor and you know why. Hey we are travelling with our child and Family!!! Afterwards you bring us to a Restaurant where you pay 200,000 for a bad buffet meal and we even pay the drivers food?? We left paying 800,000 for 4 Pax and we are hungry. You should definitely inform your Guest about this behaviour and remove the Tours from your Package or you add a Tourist Guide who is assisting your Guest not being trapped liked that. It will give a negative impression on the Resort. We didn't have the chance to tell the owner Personally. All in all good so 3 to 4 Stars.

Room Tip: Ask for a professional Tour Guide when you go for Inland Tours.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed June 30, 2014

Firstly, the driver didnt show up on time. After I called the front desk 10 times, I was told we will be picked up 2 hours later than schedule. Eventually. the driver didnt showed up untl 2.5hr later than schedule. By the time I got there, the instructor was not available, they refused to hire other instructors from other dive shops. Although they give me ~$15 discount (which is nothing at all), my whole day schedule was messed up because of how unprofessional they are. In the end, I did not have my specialization because of lack of instructor, My dive time had to be shorten to 30min because it's getting dark. In addition, they also did not have the room available and we had to stay in the one next door which is more expensive. They also lied to my face that they had never received my confirmation email. And they kept finding excuses saying instructor is on the way, diver is on the way, all of which are lies.

Staffs were friendly but the coordination in the manager level was awful. There are so many dive shops in Tulamben, I will never go to this place again.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank KH Y
divetulamben, Owner at Matahari Tulamben Resort, Dive & SPA, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2014

A collection of unfortunate circumstances.

About the pick up, its correct. Mistake in our side and we apologized already and we agree: this should not happen and normally it doesn't happen...

Also about the diving. Normally our instructor is present but because of miscommunication about the room our instructor didnt expect that you will come or dive with us. And really really sorry: I (Suci) was not in Tulamben in this time. This happens very seldom :-(

But I dont understand: When we talked by phone you complained about the situation and I understood. I want to make nice and offered a discount for diving from 25 % and you agreed. Yes, it would be more nice if we could talk personal and fix this problem..... But sorry about the situation. I was thinking the problem is fixed after our phonecall because you didn't continue to discuss and if you are not happy why you didn't tell direct and give me a chance to find another solution.... How could I know you are still unhappy??? So I am little bit surprised about this report.

About the room type we asked in our last emails which kind of room do you want. No answer. The room type you want before was not available. When you finally made a decision we already didnt have rooms available and we send email about that. Means you know already before your arrival in Tulamben we dont have room available. When we offered to help to make a booking outside you said you want to have a look by yourself. What can we do?

We try hard to make our guests happy and we try to make everything clear in our emails before arrival. Therefore we are little bit sad about this style.

Anyway... We apologize and we hope all our other guests and friends like to stay with us and we are thankful that so many guests come again and again....

Thanks a lot and see you. Suci and the TEAM

Reviewed June 30, 2014

I booked with Matahari after being recommended it by a friend who stayed the week before I arrived in Bali. Her recommendation proved reliable very early on as Suci (the owner of the center) made it very easy for me to book up a diving course at short notice.

My trip started with an airconditioned ride all the way from Kuta up to Tulamben (this took three hours and was included in the price), the driver was affable and stopped off at some sightseeing type locations. Upon arrival, the friendly staff welcomed me in and saw to it that all my needs were met. The room was airy, nicely furnished and suited my needs perfectly.

The diving course went well, I went diving with the Instructor Wayan who coached me excellently. It worked out that no-one else was on the course during my stay so I had one-on-one teaching throughout.

The dives were breathtaking and I would recommend any diver to go for a trip in Tulamben as there is certainly plently to see from the coral garden to the drop off and very impressive wreck site.

The food at the center was of a very high standard and the helpful catering staff ensured mealtimes were something to look forward to. The meals were all included in the set package price so I didnt have to worry about notching up a massive bill.

All in all I would rate Tulamben and my stay at Matahiri as the best part of my holiday in Bali and I would like to say thankyou to Suci and the whole team at Matahari. I would certainly recommend the experience to others. I would also recommend a visit to nearby Amed which is also a good location for diving/snorkelling.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed June 30, 2014 via mobile

Had a 4 night 3 day dive package here. Everyone was lovely and even though the rooms were basic and the septic tank issues these were compensated with friendly and good service. The restaurant had Such polite staff and the dives.... I love you guys! Thanks for treating us as if we've known you for ages! Yeah the divemasters were friendly yet safety place upmost importance. Had an awesome birthday dive at Sucis Place. Black tip sharks big one surprised me that day. Blessed indeed. Suci was Such a sweet and lovely lady and really Everyone is awesome there. It's not a 5 star resort. Its basic but the service, dives... Very good to us.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family