“Feels at home, awesome.”

Matahari Tulamben Resort, Dive & SPA
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Tulamben
Reviewed April 8, 2013

This is a diver's paradise, if you do not dive you may be a little bored as diving is the main attraction, however there is an excellent spa filled with the loveliest staff, and a nice poolside. The food and service is amazing, these are genuine kind people who make an extra effort to ensure you enjoy your stay. Do not be disappointed at the lack of sandy beach access and parties, because the diving, service and spa will not disappoint. 9 US dollars for an hour of a REAL professional massage in unbelievable! I would go straight to Matahari if I was to visit the island again, away from the tourist traps and into the hands of good people who are excited to show you whats out under the water. Also, if diving is not your thing, the countryside and mountains are gorgeous and trips can be arranged. Do this resort, even after leaving and having received my money already, they still made an effort to send me dive photos and wish us well.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed April 6, 2013

We stayed here for 1 night.
We woke up after one hour of sleep in room 102 and everything was itching and we felt we had some kind of bug in the bed. We made the staff aware of this and they were very helpful and found us another room, but after that experience it was impossible to get a good nights sleep.
Things we liked: the price was good, the food was alright, if was possible to rent masks and snorkels, the massage was very good.
Due to all the moving around we forgot some cloth, but when we called them to ask for it they were not able to communicate properly in English and in the end we had to give up.
I would never recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
divetulamben, Owner at Matahari Tulamben Resort, Dive & SPA, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2013

You liked most of the things in our place!!! Great.. and thanks.
We checked what you say and in the moment we have guests in 102 and they are happy :-) No problems in any room.
For reception normally our staff speaks english well and can communicate. I listen the phoneline was very bad when you called. If you like please call again direct to me and we can talk. Thanks: +62-81-338-636-670 (Suci) I can speak english well and please dont forget we are a balinese company and our mother language is not english.

Reviewed March 31, 2013

looked at two other places and for my money- 450 k rupiah lo season, this is a buy! the pool is actually COOl.. great restaurant try the fish- and the front desk-GetS IT. meaning English. did three dives on liberty wreck, one from beach and a boat dive to the rocks. sunrise under the volcano was hi lite! Tulumben is a nice town too.

Room Tip: beach number five worked-
Reviewed March 26, 2013

We had a fabulous time at Matahari Dive Resort. Suci is a lovely host and nothing is ever too much trouble.
Our dive guide Agus & Putu (unsure of spelling??) we great. Lots of laughs, knew what they were doing, were great at spotting various underwater wonders and we felt safe in their hands.
Room was good. We had an air con bungalow. Very clean & neat. Bit damp but we were experiencing daily rain. Very clean throughout. Value for money was fantastic. Comfy enough bed . We really spent no time in the room as we were diving all day.
The porters were amazing. Ive never seen the porters carry two fully geared up tanks on their heads across 150metres of rocky beach........ I felt amazed and guilty all at the same time.
We will definitely stay here again if we come to Tulumben. Nice dive sites, good conditions, fabulous guides, great service, clean rooms. Oh - and the spa was wonderful. One of the best massages Ive ever had!

Room Tip: We recommend paying extra for the private bungalow. But if you're a mad keen diver - you'll...
Reviewed March 23, 2013 via mobile

Myself and my girlfriend planned to stay here for 3 nights but unfortunately after the first night, I woke up with bed bug rashes on both arms...

Initially it appears brilliant with fantastic, attentive staff but it was short lived unfortunately! Nice settings too for the restaurant & pool which is a shame.

Upon reflection, the bedroom smelt of damp, air-con leaked onto the bed, mosquito nets were fairly useless and as mentioned, I got bed bugs. I'm very fortunate to be traveling for the last 6 months but I was yet to come across anywhere as unclean as this. Even in Bolivia we had better living conditions..

Such a shame because it does seem genuine, the staff are friendly however one thing which I find most annoying is unclean beds... It made us think about what standard they keep the kitchen in!

Below par but perhaps it was just our experience. They need to do better than just a slap-dash job here...

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank Seamus_h87
divetulamben, Owner at Matahari Tulamben Resort, Dive & SPA, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2013

Thank you for the feedback. We dont have bedbugs in any room. We called people from pest control to check. Sorry I didn't meet you when you had the problem. But when I listen you checked out earlier because of the room I checked your room and you are right. Your room was not really clean and I found some ants. I made big meeting with our housekeeping. I am very sad you didn't enjoy to stay with us but may be you will give us the chance to come again and we can show to you: Now all is perfect.
Suci

Reviewed March 16, 2013

My stay from March 3 to March 8th, 2013 was delightful! Once I entered the passwords, my smartphone and laptop always had Wi-Fi and my friends loved the beautiful sunrise pictures I posted on Facebook from my breakfast table at the resort. The clownfish, angel fish, octopus and more in the tile around the restaurant are so wonderful.

Speaking of breakfast, everything I ate was delicious! Their french fries on seriously on par with Mickey D's! They have the BEST french fries! I had Balanese food and western food, and I liked everything. Most meals were only about $3 to $5 USD. The seating area is open air, there is just a roof and one wall along the side with the rest open to the sea. The sea breeze was wonderful and if the weather kicked up a little, they were quick to roll down bamboo shades. They were very attentive.

I really enjoyed staying "Balanese style". It is NOT just another hotel that could be in any city, anywhere in the world. If that's what you want, go to any BIG city.

The quiet and relaxing atmosphere is just what I wanted! I loved the skinny, double doors to my room and bamboo shelving, and I was glad I could rent a fridge, a bargain at only about $3 US a day, but then all the pricing was so reasonable! My room had AC that worked well, but didn't spend much time in my room, I was in BALI, after all!

Putu, at the dive shop was easy to work with for my introduction to scuba, starting in the pool, he made very sure I was comfortable and took very good care of me during my first ever scuba dive! Later I dove the shipwreck with Oka and he was as fabulous as the shipwreck! Both Dive Masters did all the work - strapping me in to my vest, putting my fins on me, and then swam with a firm grip on me at all times, which was just what I wanted on my first ever dives. They pointed out so many wonderful sights I would have missed. Some of the wet suits and booties are needing replaced but they still worked and I see here they will be replaced soon!

Be sure to check out the spa! They do SO much more than just massages. They do manicures - the ones I saw were drop dead gorgeous with flowers and dots; they do waxing, hair braiding and lots more. Really a full-service spa.

But I think the best part of my stay was all the friendly people that were around, ready to help with whatever I needed.

Room Tip: I paid a tiny bit extra for hot shower and air conditioning in my room, what else could you need?
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank SKiDDLES_the_Clown
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Lovely balinese family running place with nice rooms and good food. We are divers and can highly recommand the dive center with 7 certified divemasters (not normal in Asia...). They always gave us 1 divemaster for us alone and we really enjoyed the dives.

Our bungalow was really nice and we didn't miss a TV. Refrigerator we got for 25.000 RP/day extra charge (= 2 EUR!! only). WiFi worked perfect because they have 2 hotspots for the rooms and 1 router for restaurant. But we listen sometimes they have problems with the provider and than whole Tulamben has problem with internet..

The location is great. Direct at the beach. Good for diving and nice to enjoy the tasty breakfast in the beach restaurant. For dinner we love the "Green Curry Thai Style" but they do only on request....

All staff really helpful and friendly and made our holidays perfect. We made tour with Wayan to see also little bit around Bali. Nice..

The SPA we can higly recommand. Clean, cosy and nice and we miss it.

We stoud only 6 days but we will come back because we loved to be in touch with the balinese culture which we could find in this place. But to be clear this is not a five star resort but we also didn't pay five-star-prices and thats exactly what we want to have for our holidays when we travel around Asia.

Thanks to Ms. Suci (the owner) and her Team and greetings from cold Germany...

Room Tip: We stoud in bungalow which is bigger than deluxe room.
3  Thank sunfish1305
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tulamben
Candi Beach Resort & Spa
Liberty Dive Resort
Liberty Dive Resort
#5 of 12 in Tulamben
Tauch Terminal Resort Tulamben & Spa

Been to Matahari Tulamben Resort, Dive & SPA? Share your experiences!