“Villa Gading" - Good but some access issues”
Review of Villa Bugis

Villa Bugis
Ranked #23 of 426 Specialty Lodging in Seminyak
Reviewed October 2, 2013

Our family of 2 adults and 4 children (aged 11-17) stayed at Villa Gading for 10 nights. We thought we'd try the villa experience for a change rather than the usual resorts. Overall we enjoyed it and would do it again but there were a few issues with this villa.

First the positives about Villa Gading. The villa itself is of a good standard, and the layout worked well for us. We enjoyed the well kept outdoor area and the pool was really clean (tip - request additional sun lounges if you need more than 2; we requested extra before we arrived). We enjoyed the cooked breakfasts. The staff were really helpful although the language barrier was an issue at times. Having said that, their English was still way better than my Balinese. The mosquitoes didn't bother us too much as long as we lit the mosquito coils and kept up the insect repellant when awake at night. The air conditioning in all rooms was fantastic.

On the negative side some plumbing issues, the WiFi hardly worked and tv reception was poor.

However, the main problem with this villa is its access and location (to a lesser extent). Although only a 5-10 minute walk to both the beach and shops, it isn't a pleasant walk. This is because the villa is situated at the end of a 500m very narrow, unmade laneway ("gang"), frequented by stray dogs and bordered by major construction sites. Taxi access is difficult. The other option to access Drupardi Street is a shortcut via a narrow strip across a rice paddy and quite dirty and muddy at times (easy to catch a taxi from here though). Next to this lane was a surf club/bar. Both options were dark at night and a bit scary for me. There is much construction in the Drupardi precinct at the moment so the location isn't all that salubrious. With all of this going on I also had some initial security concerns. By the end I felt ok with the security but probably wouldn't have stayed if I was there on my own with the children.

At the end the Manager was kind enough to show us some other Bugis villas nearby, which looked great. Due to the access and location issues I wouldn't stay at this particular villa again but I would definitely try another Bugis villa. It's also great value compared to equivalent accommodation at quality resorts. My advice is to do your homework and check out the access issues first.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Deborah T

Reviewed September 30, 2013

Loved this Villa!!! Stayed in Villa Saphir

The pool is nice and large and very attractively designed! Just Gorgeous! Plenty of space to lounge about and lots of sun, but easy to put up umbrellas or retire to daybed to avoid the sun also.

The layout is great.

Location is fantastic!! Opposite end of villas lane is a laneway straight to the main shopping strip! Easy 10min walk to eat street! Beach bout 10 - 15 min nice walk away.

Circle K Suprette with Money machine 50 metres up road from villa driveway. Also sells ice! :-)

Nice, cheap spa beside driveway and couple more close by.

Great Close restaurants like Lacalaca for fabulous mexican, Zibiru for incredible authentic Italian, Superman Pizzaria for yummy very thin crispy based pizza. Many restaurants close by! :-)

Staff at Villa were super lovely and sweet! :-)

Nice friendly, cheap Laundry beside Villa driveway also. Everything was so handy. Only negative is it is a bottom of the very long driveway, but this wasn't a problem at all. :-)

Breakfast was nice, particularly Indonesian one. Can be a bit monotonous though so we went out a couple of times. Highly recommend Sea Circus for breakfast and Revolver for coffee!

Basically a lovely villa with plenty of space, lovely large pool and wonderful staff.

Totally recommend!!!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Luxuryman
Reviewed September 28, 2013

Had a great time ,the villa was beautiful and spacious . We stayed in villa rama, Seminyak .
All the staff were nice n helpful . Thank you to all the crew and security . One little issue was one room didn't have hot water , was warm but not hot . The cook made us a nice breakfast too .
I hope we tipped them all enough . Thanks again villa bugis "villa rama".

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 24, 2013

I've never written negative reviews but this trip was a very upsetting trip for me and my family, so I feel I have to share my experience.

My family and I booked Villa Nakula and upon arrival, my 18 month old was asleep, so we placed her on the bed. 45 minutes later, we were horrified to see the WHOLE one side of her face (which was laying down on the bed) full on red spots! The next day, the spots became angry red marks (forehead, cheeks and chin) and we brought her to the doctor who said it was bed bugs. We were of course very angry and upset because it was the beginning of our much anticipated holiday (i was bringing my parents on a holiday for the first time) and it's destroyed by this incident right from the start!

We were slightly comforted by the very nice staff who later transferred us to Villa Umah Kupu Kupu. It was a very nice villa but we were not in the best of holiday mood. I cried each time I look at my daughter's face. People stared at her wherever we went. I couldn't sleep well because I had to prevent her from scratching her face which will make the spot watery/start to puss and worsen the marks. And we couldn't enjoy the pool because she can't be in one and us being in the pool will make her want to jump in too. She loves the water so it was hard to keep her from wandering close to it. The nice villa manager did get us a pool fence for free but as much as we appreciate all the things they are trying to do, it doesn't really change anything. I've never looked forward to coming home more or rather, regret being on a holiday more.

I feel bad that I have to write this negative review. It's been 5 days and we're back in Singapore. I've taken her to another doctor to get more creams and meds as the spots are still bad. The doctor said it will scar but should fade away in at 3 months. But it is 3 months too long.

I'll try to post a picture of it. Breaks my heart :(

I hope that bedroom will be thoroughly cleaned and that no one else will have to go through this. I do understand that bad things happen but it makes me angry that we paid fair bit of money for the hotel for 4 nights, hoping for a nice vacation with my parents, only for it to be destroyed from the first night by something that could have been prevented by hygienic practices.

This incident definitely made the holiday a waste of time and money.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Villa_Bugis, Manager at Villa Bugis, responded to this reviewResponded September 29, 2013

Dear Zee,

First of all we would like to thank you for your feed back, and we are deeply apologize for your inconvenience while you stayed in Villa Nakula.
We do regularly general cleaning for all items in the villa, include the beds. We always change all linen with the fresh one from laundry for the new guest.
After the incident, we immediately check the beds for bugs but we didn't find any, we are afraid that it could be caused by the allergic of the laundry chemical.
But we understand that is not an excuse for this incident, and we would like you to know that this matter has been taken seriously, and we will do anything possible to prevent this to happen again.

We are sorry for the inconvenience you have experienced.
We do hoping that you could give us another chance to be able to welcoming you and to make sure you have a great holiday in the near future.

Regards,
Villa Bugis

Reviewed September 24, 2013

I stayed at Villa Jaclan two weeks ago. Accommodation is pretty average. Staff are helpful and friendly, rooms are comfortable but very small. I shared with a friend and we had two single beds plus a giant double bunk bed, that resembled a tree house, in our small room. The villas are down 3 lane ways and take a long time to get to restaurants, shops etc. There is no beach near by.
For the price it cost us I would probably not stay there again.

Room Tip: Book a single room with double bed only for best value
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 21, 2013

stayed september 2013, 10 nights, let me just say that the staff were excellent,friendly and very helpful at all times, could not fault anything with their attention and help with whatever i required, the shopping assistance was awesome with fridge stocked with cold beer as requested at local prices, however had a few issues, one was the water pump died that supplies water to the villa, was fixed but out of action for about 10 hours, lucky it died at night and was fixed by 10 am next morning however we could not use toilets that night or have a shower or use toilets till next morning (9:30am), also there is a service gate around the side of the villa and most times including at night it was left open and unlocked, there is no lock and I arrived late at night and I could walk right through and acess the villa, gave me some concerns as anyone could do the same, security and privacy issue that needs rectifying, also staff walked in using that service gate unannounced for breakfast and other duties, on my last stay there, they would ring front door bell etc, another issue was that at the service gate in the morning (i wake up early) i noticed some one was staying there as i heard some one showering etc so some one is staying there and on many occassions i seen some one sleeping on the floor at the service area( I could see from the balcony) this was around 6am and then the shower in same area starts up with some one having a shower etc, will add this is with in the villa area so privacy and security was an issue for me, also there was a lot of construction going on across the road from the villa and noise and traffic went on all day so was not very relaxing but its Bali I guess, my understanding construction will be on going for a while yet , so I think they should say that on web page so people know there will be some noise, this is my second stay at villa Krisna and I must say that I had concerns on my second stay as I have mentioned above, I hope they rectify the issues I have mentioned as villa bugis (Krisna) is excellent, the location is also excellent as is the staff and I will not hesitate and reccommend to my friends to stay there, the villa is excellent and so is the staff that service your stay, so just to make some recomendations, please lock service gate when not in use, ring front door bell for acess for breakfast or service before entering villa, dont know what the go is with some one living in service area but thats not on (I will add that i checked and there was food, clothes etc and some one showering in that area most mornings and i did see a person sleeping on the floor in 5 occassions when i looked during my stay in the service area), as such my stay was ok, was better first time as I felt more secure but I will add once again that the staff were excellent and the villa is also, aside from the issues i have mentioned above, hope to stay there again once the construction is finished and the service gate/ security and other issues are rectified

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 20, 2013

Had a wonderful stay at Villa Darma with 9 family members including our 2 year old twin granddaughters.The staff were a delight and the cooked breakfasts wonderful. The villa has 5 bedrooms and a very large pool which the staff enclosed with a temporary fence at extra cost. Maybe a more safety appropriate closure would be better.Yes as other reviews have said the mozzies are a problem but that isn't the villa's fault. They lit coils on dusk every night and as long as each room was sprayed and personal repellent used we managed.We felt some of the rooms could have had a comfortable chair [others had window seat alcoves} I would advise earplugs as some nights the dogs and cats were very noisy and there were power tools being used on a building site the first 2 nights.Having said all that we would certainly return as the management were very good as they allowed us to wait in Villa Intan for our late plane flight which was very tastefully decorated and comfortable --not as tired as Villa Darma. One thing I would definately suggest is that the beds have mattress protectors on them as a matter of basic hygiene.It's in a great location and we found Bluebird taxis the most reliable for transport.Please don't be put off by anything that may sound negative in my review as Bali and it's people are beautiful and to the staff we say thank you.

Room Tip: The best rooms are the ones not attached to the kitchen/lounge area,as these have no roof overhang a...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family