“You Can't Complain About The Service - There Isn't Any.....”
Review of Chez Gado Gado

Chez Gado Gado
Ranked #67 of 573 Restaurants in Seminyak
Cuisines: Asian, French
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Seminyak Beach front Restaurant Chez Gado Gado offers an exciting new concept in modern and contemporary European style dining in a relaxed, yet stylish environment. Surrounded by a beautiful outdoor deck dining area complete with pergola, Chez Gado Gado offers uninterrupted views across the Seminyak beach and Indian Ocean. It is a perfect setting for romantics and special occasions. Our cuisine can be described as eclectic with a mix of European and Indonesian an Asian items while offering a relaxed and casual service during lunch time. Dinner time provides a slightly more formal and professional service that matches its European style menu with local flavors. Chef Quirijn Rademaker proves his creativity by creating an innovative culinary journey with clean finishes. While we are a casual fine dining restaurant, proper attire such as shirt (no branded tank tops/singlets/T-shirt) and footwear, will be required in fairness to all of our guests. Bookings and reservations larger than 8 and no smoking requests will be prepared inside our dining room. Parties of 12 or more adults requires an assigned set menu so that the flow of service for all of our guests is not disrupted. Outside tables will require a reservation and will be set per weather permitting and space availability.
Reviewed October 25, 2012

I reserved a table for two and invited my best Balinese friend to dinner at Chez Gado Gado Restaurant last night 25th October 2012 to celebrate his 40th Birthday.

We arrived at the restaurant and were both greeted very nicely by the hostesses at the entrance.

We were then escorted to our table which was overlooking the ocean,The table was set for three (disappointing), we were seated and were wished an enjoyable evening. As soon as the hostess departed we litually had to fend for ourselves.

There was no immediate service in the likes of beverage service so after 15 mins from being seated I called for a waiter to order some beverages. I ordered a gin & tonic - I asked the waiter what gin types did they serve - He told me Bacardi - I said to the waiter Bacardi is rum - This waiter does not know his product and should not be waiting on restaurant guests - he was incompetent.

The beverages finally arrived another 15 mins later - The third place setting was then removed.

The waiter then delivered 2 chilled towels - These should have been delivered as soon as we were seated - not 30 mins after.

The waiter came back for our food orders - We placed our orders in i.e. mains & desserts but due to the poor start & service I forgot to order any additional side dishes - at no stage did the waiter try to upsell any additional food items.

The mains arrived and unfortunately with no additions - I must say the food is delicious, very fresh and well presented - congratulations to the kitchen staff.

No additional condiments i.e. ground pepper, mustards were offered.

During our dinner the water glasses on the table remained empty - I had to ask the waiter for some water - he filled the glasses and then left the large Aqua bottle on the table near the edge - I observed other guests nearby receiving better service whereby the surplus water was poured into a wine carafe and the ugly Aqua bottle removed from the table.

Also during the whole dinner empty beverage glasses remained on the table.

At this stage I was livered and was preparing to leave - I asked for a Supervisor to come and see me. The Supervisor arrived I voiced all my concerns - He advised he would find out why I was receiving such poor service - At no stage did this supervisor apologise for the poor service - Later in the evening the supervisor returned and asked if he could do any more for me but unfortunately the damage was already done.

Desserts arrived they were stunning - beautiful presentation & delicious - A special complimentary birthday cake arrived by 3 singing waitstaff and it was presented to my friend - Thank you this was a very nice touch. At this stage the supervisor returned and wished my friend a very happy birthday - nice touch.

After we finished the desserts all mis-en-place was cleared and we were left stranded.

At no stage were we offered any coffee, cheeseplatter or additional beverages - just toothpicks.

After another 15 - 30 mins of no service I requested the bill.

The bill arrived, the waitress stood behind waiting for me to give her the money - Very off putting. I gave her the bill plus the cash and then she walked to the side of the table and in front of my invited guest counted all the money. I was so insulted and so annoyed with her because this was supposed to be a special birthday dinner for my best friend.

We departed and no stage did anyone ask if we had an enjoyable evening - The hostess at the entrance door wished us good night.

I am a hospitality professional - 20 + years in this field, my speciality is Attention to Detail training specifically in food and beverage.

Personally I would like to come into this stunning restaurant and demonstrate what good table service is all about.

Chez Gado Gado is a beautiful restaurant, the setting is stunning, the food is delicious but as I said previously " You can't complain about the service, because there isn't any" .

Very disappointing evening overall - RPN - Qualified Professional Head Butler & Hospitality Trainer

1  Thank Mick46abc
Write a ReviewReviews (2,233)

Reviewed October 25, 2012

After 4 visits to Bali we finally dined at Chez Gado Gado and it was certainly worth the wait! We booked a table for 4 via email and confirmed on arrival, no problem. The beachfront location is great, with cocktails at sunset making the perfect start to the evening ( the Esspresso Martini is a MUST). The menu is superb and offers both tastings,great for sharing, as well as a regular menu with a wide variety to choose from (not just seafood) and the wine list is well balanced and not as pricey as some other venues. Some of our selections included the Crab Ravioli , Squid salad, Braised beef cheeks with pea ravioli and the Snapper. WOW! The flavours and presentation were wonderful and all the seafood was done to perfection. The service is equally as enjoyable as the food (thanks to Rosie) with knowledgable staff who are happy to assist without being intrusive and there is no pushing you out the door when you have finished (something becoming common at home these days sadly). In fact our party lingered into the evening over a delectable cheese selection and liquer coffees just to put the finishing touch to a truly first class night. I can only say that we enjoyed our first visit so much we went back on our last night before flying home and we were not disappointed, it was a delight and we are already booking for our next visit to include lunch!!! Dont miss this beauty when next in Bali.

Reviewed October 25, 2012

We ate here twice during our 3 week trip around Bali/Lombok. Firstly, the setting is beautiful overlooking the ocean. The restaurant is stunning to look at with a lovely little bar inside. The staff are also super lovely and polite. Now for the food. During our two visits we had various fish, braised beef cheek, thai curry, crab ravioli, king prawn and cavier linguine, pork 3 ways. Each and every dish was just sublime. Wonderful, full of flavour and I could not fault it, with the most beautiful presentation. The first time we had taster portions so we could try more dishes, the 2nd time we ordered regular main courses. The Lychee Martini is also a must! Fabulous, I can't recommend Gado Gado enough.

Reviewed October 23, 2012

We were in Bali for 3 nights celebrating our 24th wedding anniversary.
I had booked Chez Gado Gado via the internet, and was told that we would be looked after for this special occasion and would have a lovely table facing the ocean.
Upon arrival there was no booking recorded. Oh, no, so much for our special night.
We were told to sit in the lounge area and our table was arranged. Facing the ocean as requested.
The staff really went out of their way to rectify the oversite of the booking, and was fantastic for the duration of our meal.
The setting is beautiful at night with the beach floodlit and the waves crashing down.
The food was also very nice. Everything we ordered we loved.
At the end of our meal, we were presented with a beautiful cake congratulating us on our anniversary as well as 2 glasses of bubbly.
A very nice touch to end a very nice evening.
We will be coming back again with friends on our next visit to Bali.

Reviewed October 19, 2012

My wife and I had dinner last week. Table overlooking the beach, good to watch the passing parade. Over standard of meal was disappointing with small servings. Prawn entree over cooked and fish mains with unusual green sauce. Better restaurants around.