UTTER DISAPPOINTMENT…. For those who don’t care to read a more detailed review, that’s how I would sum up my stay at Anantara Seminyak Resort & Spa, Bali. This supposed luxury hotel’s Penthouse suite has clearly seen better days. It’s only about 5 years old but looks at least twice it’s age with no maintenance or care in the interim. I, with my family, stayed at the Penthouse and I cannot stress enough how I feel my time and money would’ve been much better spent elsewhere. The Penthouse is this hotel’s top category room and there is only ONE of it, hence I’d expected it to have been given some extra care and attention. What I found was a room that obviously had not been maintained properly in years. There were large holes and stains in the poolside cushions, curtains that were difficult to draw due to runners that wouldn’t run properly along the rusty curtain rail, curtains falling off the railings, doors with splits along the edges at eye-level, which only the blind would’ve missed, a bench with splits in it and was warped to the point of visibly ripping from it’s cement base. I accept a certain amount of wear and tear to show through but at the rate that this hotel charges for their supposed top tier room, it is completely unacceptable to have such obvious faults show through. These are glaring faults and not maintenance matters that could not have been easily resolved had some attention been paid to it. Did the management not visit this room for a bit of inspection and review over the years? Anantara ought to be ashamed of itself and embarrassed. I have never stayed in a room of this category and price range and found a room in such a state of disrepair nor have I ever found myself in such a hurry to check out. In fact, I don't know why I didn't demand to cut my 3-night stay shorter and move somewhere else instead. I did eventually move but it had been planned beforehand, thank goodness.
The air-conditioning was absolutely useless between dawn and sunset, only managing to cool the rooms during the night. This made it impossible for us to stay in the Penthouse in the afternoons. My 4-year old son takes his nap between 2:30pm and 4:30pm. He awoke drenched in sweat even after sleeping in only a t-shirt and shorts with no cover. I took take a nap at 4:00pm on the day we arrived and was awakened 30 mins later by sweat dripping off my neck. I was on top of the bed with only a light pair of shorts on. Opening the doors in the hopes of catching a breeze didn’t work. It was just as hot or hotter. The breeze couldn’t get in to the room.
The staff, every rung up to the management, was very friendly and service was very good. Our butler was very attentive and made our stay bearable. The new General Manager, who started only a few weeks ago, personally greeted us as soon as she arrived at work and again upon our departure.
I’ve stayed at Legian, which is not far from Anatara, Four Season’s Sayan and am currently staying in a Three-Bedroom Residence Villa at Four Season’s Jimbaran, where I moved to after hurrying out of Anantara before we started being baked alive again. I highly recommend these hotels, with their comparable rates, to anyone who is considering the Penthouse at Anantara. Their service is just as top notch, if not better, but the quality of those properties far exceed Anantara’s to the point where it would be unimaginable, and even embarrassing, to mention them in the same breath.
The people at this hotel made our stay worth remembering. Otherwise, it left a very bitter taste in my mouth. I wish the new GM and her team the best of luck in their effort to restore the lustre of what could otherwise be a gem. They’ve certainly got their work cut out for them with the years of neglect this property has obviously received.
A friend has told me that Anantara’s Chiang Rai resort is worth visiting. I am truly afraid of a visit to another Anantara resort after this experience but I trust my friend’s taste and reviews. Perhaps I’ll give them one more chance.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Anantara's all-suite Bali resort at Seminyak offers a distinctly contemporary design approach blended with Balinese and Indonesian culture, ocean views, expansive balconies and Anantara's inimitable Jacuzzi terrazzo bath tubs big enough for two. Our all-suite resort amenities range from the glorious rooftop lounge SOS Supper Club and rooftop Anantara Spa to one infinity edge swimming pool staring out upon the Indian Ocean. Anantara Seminyak Bali Resort matches its elegant approach to travel with one of the most upmarket locations in Indonesia, containing chic restaurants and cafes, trendy nightlife and internationally renowned shopping opportunities. With nearby historical charms and our Bali hotel's fastidious approach to both design and facilities, Anantara Seminyak Bali Resort provides an unforgettable accommodation experience. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with DerbySoft Ltd Shanghai HQ, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Priceline, Expedia, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, Cancelon, Hotwire and getaroom.com so you can book your Anantara Seminyak Bali Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Anantara Seminyak Resort & Spa, Bali Hotel Seminyak
- Anantara Seminyak Resort And Spa, Bali
- Anantara Hotel Seminyak
- Anantara Seminyak Hotel Bali
- Anantara Seminyak Bali Resort