“Amazing”

Anantara Seminyak Bali Resort
Ranked #53 of 149 Hotels in Seminyak
Reviewed May 5, 2011

I have just returned from Bali staying at Anantara for 5 nights with 7 girlfriends to celebrate a birthday. The hotel was beautiful. Nice small boutique hotel with only just over 60 suites and right on the beach. From the moment we arrived the staff could not do enough for us. They attended to our every need with very personal service. There are two pools, the suites are huge, nicely decorated, with everything provided and the most comfortable beds! We had breakfast included and it was great. The Food and Beverage Manager, Jonah greeted us on day one whilst we had lunch by the pool. The SOS rooftop bar is sensational. Overall, I could not fault this hotel and would recommend it - very romantic for couples and recommended for small groups.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (1,500)

Reviewed April 27, 2011

Unfortunately, I spent only 2 nights at Anantara. The hotel is amazing, the staff is really friendly. The room has an awesome bed with a pillow menu (!!), iPod dock station (you can use your own, or they can borough you one), bathtub inside the bathroom and another one, outside, in the balcony. Perfect sleep, listening the sound of the waves... Great breakfast, with local and international cousines (get ready to spend more than 1 hour having breakfast, is really good). They have a Thai restaurant inside the hotel, the Wild Orchid, with the most amazing staff I've found in Bali, perfect english, always smiling. Nice strawberry daiquiri by the pool....

I've stayed in other 3 hotels during my trip in Bali, and I can ensure that few hotels are as good as Anantara. The beach is not very good for swimming and the neighbor not the best for shopping (walking distance), but if you're looking for relax, they will certainly take good care of you. If I return to Bali, I'll stay at Anantara FOR SURE.

Oh, important one: free wi-fi inside the room. It was not the better wi-fi I had in my life, but it was the best in Bali.

Room Tip: Rooms with beach view, the higher the better.
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 27, 2011

Our trip to Bali was planned to be full of tours, however after being welcomed into the hotels ambience we chose to relax at the hotel each day using the facilities including yoga, spa, pool, cooking class experience and SOS roofop bar. One of the most memorable hotels we have ever visited due to the highly attentive staff, fully equipped large suites, cleanliness, the list goes on. Would highly recommend a stay in the penthouse where Gedi, the butler, was impeccable.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed April 24, 2011

Having stayed in numerous 5 star hotels across Asia -this was far from a 5 star.A very cold approach dated furniture no welcome from the GM...thats a first in my travel history.The plus is the size of the room or as the say suite.However the lined is yellow in colour with age the room had an unpleasant smell so the reception give us an oil buner.

The layout was really strange of the hotel amentities and was not private with constant beach vendors hanging around.

This was our first time to Bali and on discovery there was much better at a better price..The hotel is aged and very tierd.The staff are friendly and they try hard but my view is shop around this is not one i wioll be back too...however Bali yes I will be back.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Travel P
Reviewed April 20, 2011

Lovely Hotel, with great Satff...

In case you want to relax during the day then Anantara is a great place to be in.

The food is great and the breakfast looks ok, but in reality it is great as well as it is an a la carte one.

One thing I do advise in Anantara and that is to ask for what you do not like and it will be changed like magic...

We did not like the bedsheets and they got changed to newer ones. We ask for many things to be done and if staff members are allowed to go out of their way they will.

It is not a family hotel as kids might get bored, but for sure a couple & Single traveler hotel.

We found the hotel very clean and the service very efficient. We would like to meet the General manager, but we never saw him.

We highly recommend this hotel to tourists who want to relax, enjoy, and be close to all the action.

I recommend "The Spa" up the road for treatments as they have very reasonably priced treatments where the hotel's treatment might be expensive for some.

We loved the Asian Orchid Restaurant in the hotel, Metis, Chandi, & Ka Du TE Restaurants.

We are staying in 409 and the ocean view is fab where some rooms have barely any view because of the thick trees facing it, but who cares for a view where you spend your day by the pool... :-)

Room Tip: Call ahead of time and specify what you want...
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bazyboo
Reviewed April 2, 2011

My 4th stayed at Anantara resorts across Asia and Maldives. Is slightly on the pricey side, but the quality and superb level of services were worth every pennies I had to pay. All the rooms are suites so my room was spacious and overlooking the sea and swimming pool. I got a corner room so it was a bit noisy in the morning when the locals arrived by motorcycles and started their business on the beach.

I complaint about the noise coming from the construction site on my 1st night and they apologized profusely for the disturbance. The next night they called to check whether I still heard the noise from the construction site or not. I told them no. I was really impressed with their followed up.

The breakfast choices served at the main restaurant were good. It comprised of buffet and ala carte options. The ala carte was actually the main course. They served Japanese, local, Western and Chinese. The portion was huge and the food was delicious. I didn't have to eat lunch after I had my breakfast because I was still full from the heavy meal.

I ordered room service on the 1st night, but was very disappointed with the sushi platter that was served to me. It was cold and the portion was very small. It was definitely not worth the US$20+ price tagged I had to pay, but I was so tired I finished it off and didn't highlight my dissatisfaction to the staffs until the next night. When I highlighted to the front desk about the quality of the sushi platter, he listened patiently and apologized for the bad quality. He told me he would bring up my complaints to his superior the next morning so that they could further investigate what went wrong. He thanked me for sharing and highlighting the food problem to him.

2days later I got a call from the front office informing me that they had removed the charged for the sushi platter from my room bill. I was surprised with their gesture because I never asked them to waive it. But I was very happy with their gesture because it showed me that they cared and wanted to do their utmost best to make my stay as memorable and comfortable as possible. I'm very pleased with their level of services and the quality of their staffs.

As for the location of the hotel, it is quite strategic. Chic boutiques and delicious restaurants are reachable within 20mins walking distance from the hotel. Seminyak is a nicer and quieter area than Kuta because the shops are a bit more high end.

Overall I had a good time and great stayed at Anantara.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed April 2, 2011

First time in Bali married couple without children, we looked for a place close to touristic area, shopping entertainment etc.; as Westin/Hyatt in Nusa Dua weren't available, we have chosen Seminyak Anantara at 450$/night.
Hotel is more or less OK for a high-end boutique hotel (large apartments, kind of stylish modern furniture, Jacuzzi on balcony; didn't liked the bed linen and pillows). The bar on 4th floor is amazing (one of the best we ever saw), unfortunately no entertainment, kind of rap music (perhaps youngsters like it, not sure) and closing around midnight as customers were leaving.
Hotel staff is friendly, but largely oversized. We understood they are paid from the orders they get from you otherwise they are in trouble with management, so you have them on your head all day long trying to get new orders (and there are so many that you forget who you tipped, and they are changing etc).
Quite unpleasant, in an almost empty hotel we got a low-floor room without view, and when we complained they proposed an upgrade for 100 US$/night (+ tax and service 20% of course).

The real issue however is not the hotel, but the surroundings. They announce private beach, it is just a green area in front of the public sand beach stuffed with sellers of souvenirs, drivers proposing island tours etc. They get hysterical and jump on you each time you want go to sea, really annoying (locals are rather poor, as far as we saw).
Sea in front of the hotel is surprisingly dirty. We tried walking on the beach but we gave up after 300 m, stinks like crazy. We were told is because of some river, after each rain all mess from the houses around goes to sea, bad luck. My wife refused entering the sea during our stay, not nice for a beach hotel.

The hotel is located on a street with plenty of restaurants (low-end, 40..50 US$ dinner for two with drinks), but walking in the evening is not a pleasant experience, no lights, no promenade, unfinished constructions, etc (should take taxi in front of hotel, for 2-3 US$ they take you 500m till the restaurant area). Shopping experience is also mixed, full of fake stuff Armani/CK/Paul Smith shirts at 10 US$, but also quality local brands (look for Dejong / Animale etc). Nightlife starts around midnight, but you see just local youngsters and some tired drunk (and generally old) single men looking for action at low prices.

As a conclusion, Anantara has a big problem of positioning as a 5-star boutique hotel, in the context of Seminyak (cheap, dirty, and crowded with local tourist-hunters). Rooms are OK, but hotel management is poor (the manager never bothered to meet us; hotel staff lacks class, don’t understand customers need some intimacy). If we will try again Bali we will definitely look for more exclusive areas (Jimbaran or Nusa Dua).

Room Tip: Go for Ocean View room only
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple