“Overall - very average! Better options out there” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Peppers Seminyak

Peppers Seminyak
Ranked #18 of 138 Hotels in Seminyak
perth
“Overall - very average! Better options out there”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2011

Our stay at Sentosa Villas was some what disappointing. I will try and give an overall balanced opinion:

The Good:
1. Spacious rooms - we had a 4 bedroom presidential villa - but 2 of the rooms were locked as we had only 2 couples staying in the villas. The separate lounge / dining and kitchen was good.
2. It was nice to have a private pool to dip into anytime of the day. The pool bale was oversized and very comfortable.
3. Free Wi-Fi internet was great.
4. Evening turn down service was a nice touch.

The Bad:
1. Overall cleaniness was well below par from other 5 star hotel. On the surface the place looked clean - but just dont look too close! For example, our taps in the ensuites were totally filthy around the mixers. Details were missed.
2. The breakfast - I missed the big buffet style that other hotels offered. It was A la carte - I was struggling to choose something I wanted to eat by the 4 or 5th day. The food was just ''ok''. Definately wouldnt rate it 5 star. Had lunch and dinner there a couple of times - better than breakfast - but there are so many better options in Seminyak.
3. The shuttle service into Legian was a joke - it was offered just a couple of times in the morning and the last pick up time was 4PM! Most of Bali is still sleeping at 4PM! You also had to book it 24 hours in advance which was not always practical.
4. Too far from the beach for me... that cant be helped - but regular shuttle service to the beach would have been a reasonable compensation for the location.

I'm sure this place was stunning when it was new - but it is starting to show some wear and tear. Small details which make a 5 star a true 5 star were missing at times.

Overall, I did enjoy my stay - but that was mainly because I was with my extended family and the villa style accommodation suited our needs. However, I think there are better options in Bali!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank janee23

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2011

We stayed at the Four-Bedroom Presidential Pool Villa. Two bedrooms had outdoor bathrooms which was quite unique with outdoor shower and a large spacious bathroom and it was absolutely fabulous. Staff were very helpful in all aspects, especially when we ordered breakfast sent to our Villa, they laid out breakfast in the living room like a restaurant.

The only complaint I had was, that the outdoor bathroom, the fact they were outside had lots of mosquitos during the night and some of the lighting fixtures and showers still had spiderwebs, which was because it was hosted outside.

• Stayed March 2011
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2011

My fiance and I absolutely loved Sentosa - we were blown away in fact. On our last trip to Bali we stayed at The Elysian which was lovely but Sentosa was a leap ahead. The hotel itself is gorgeous - beautiful architecture in the public area (lobby, restaurant, gym, pool, spa, etc) which is a stunning combination of concrete and dark wood. The restaurant/bar is decked out with lights in bird cages, dark wood furniture and a beautiful light installation behind the bar.

We were taken to our private villa in one of the hotel's golf buggies and that was the last time we used it until we needed to leave. We were lucky enough to have a villa close to the public area so it was easy to walk however I did notice that some villas were some distance away. We walked into our villa and were completely blown away. It was 3 bedrooms (the two spares were locked up) and a living / dining / kitchen spread out across 3 buildings plus a bale beside the pool. it was simply enormous! The pool was large, the garden spacious, the living space so generous. Our bathroom was the next surprise - outdoors with two showers - one that was absolute outdoors and one that was under cover. A huge tub (in which I ate a scrumptious room service dessert one night from Blossom), his and hers basins and a closed off toilet. Unlike some of the other reviewers, I found the villa very clean and couldn't find the wear and tear some reviews referred to.

Breakfast was included with our room charge - there was a selection of buffet options available including juices, cereals, yogurts, cakes, breads, etc. In addition to this everything on the breakfast menu was available to us - and a diverse menu it was. Broken into Asian and Western, there appeared to be something for everyone.

We spent a lot of time in the spa - fully aware that the prices are of course much higher than the average Balinese charges for treatments of this kind. Still much cheaper than in Australia though and the sense of absolute luxury befitted its name 'Luxe Spa'.

The staff were helpful & friendly from the security (Australian bouncers and security guards could learn a thing or two from the Balinese), concierge, to the cleaners and restaurant staff - always polite, with a smile, waiting to help.

Location-wise it's fantastic - close to all the major restaurants, bars and shops.

My only complaint would be the cleaning service. Not the quality of the cleaning but the fact that in spite of us going out most days for hours at a time, they always seemed to want to clean the room when we just arrived back.

That aside, we will be back again for certain and will recommend it it our guests when we return to Bali to marry in November.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Auckland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2011

What a great setting to enjoy 5 days in Seminyak. Down a side street, the Sentosa Villas are modern and beautifully designed. The main complex houses the restaurant/bar, reception, concierge and pool area. What a beautifully designed pool! Usually there are only a few other people there so pretty much have it to yourself. So much nicer than the larger hotels where you have to share the pool with 20+ other guests.

The villas themselves are also beautiful and it really felt like a great home while we were in Seminyak. Walking in through the ominous door to the villa, you cross a small pond with lilypads and goldfish before being greeted by the wonderful outdoor setting where the pool takes centre stage.

We travelled with my sister and her partner so were in a 2brm villa. The bedrooms were in separate buildings, as was the lounge and dining area - with the pool area the feature in the middle. It's a good size pool and the main bedroom opens straight out to it.

We got the master bedroom (yay!) which had a great big bathroom with separate bath (overlooking a small garden area) and shower areas. In between the bedroom and bathroom was a place to store your luggage, with plenty of storage space - almost like a walk in wardrobe, with a huge mirror and a desk area.

The bed itself was great, with a mosquito net draped over the top, it was the best sleep I had in Bali. The mattress was just right and the pillows weren't too soft (I hate soft pillows!). There was a tv in our room but we never used it.

The lounge and dining area had a fantastic kitchen with almost everything you could need (I can't remember a microwave though) if you didn't feel like venturing out to the numerous restaurants in Seminyak. You could literally hole yourself up in the villa if you wanted to - but who would?! It would have been nice to have a TV and dvd player in the lounge as there were times we wanted to watch a movie together and couldn't. I would prefer this to having the tvs in the room (but that's just me).

The food in the restaurant was good, breakfast was great, with a continental selection as well as being able to order hot meals. Also, they serve great coffees! None of that filter stuff. We always had way too much food every morning - so much so that we usually went without a full lunch and just had a snack before dinner. We did have a couple of lunches at the restaurant and one dinner, the meals were nice but it was a bit more expensive and there are so many great places to eat in Seminyak if you venture out.

The complex is a 15-20 minute walk to Seminyak Square - a small mall area which leads you to 'Eat Street' in Seminyak but we quite enjoyed the walk during the day. The only thing is to be careful of the main road as there are no paths so it's a little dangerous but I think the Balinese are used to driving around tourists - it's the tourists on bikes that you need to be wary of! Most of the way though is through side streets so you're only the main road for about 5 mins.

Sorry - this is getting really long so I"ll try to wrap up!
The wireless was great in the villa so workaholics like myself can be rest assured you can catch up on emails while you're there.

There are a couple of things I would have a little whinge about:
1. The cleanliness of the bathrooms - this was pretty standard across Bali though - I just feel that they need to make sure they clean the shower floor and toilets properly rather than just a cursory brush or wipe. It would keep the villas in so much better shape for a longer term. We are considering investing in a villa in Bali and this is one of the things that is putting me off. Maintenance is so important.

2. Our shower got blocked really quickly but I think they were doing something about the water issues as there were workmen working on the pipes.

3. The lounge mirror (a massive mirror) fell off the wall on the day we were leaving. It was mounted right above the couch and ripped through the sit. While it wasn't a big deal, if it happened while someone was sitting on the couch it would have been a completely different situation. When we saw the back of the mirror it was no wonder it had fallen - it only had a couple of spots of glue on it! Probably a freak occurrence but nonetheless very important. So, I was a bit surprised that when I mentioned it at the front desk they were more worried about whether it was damage that we'd done!

4. Lots and lots of mosquitos so bring your insect repellent!

I completely forgot to mention the staff - they were all so lovely, especially at the restaurant. Service was usually great and timely.

And the Spa! Again a great setting and some great treatments. A bit more expensive than the numerous spas in Seminyak but still cheaper than back home and much more convenient so we did have a couple of treatments here.

We would definitely come back. Only downside is they don't have 1brm villas. It was a great home away from home!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank SamrNZ
sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2010

With so many places to choose from in Seminyak, I was so happy when we pulled up at Sentosa. The airport transfer takes the hassle out of landing in a foreign country and as soon as we saw the rooms our jaws dropped - beautiful pool and the outdoor shower immediately allowed us to unwind and get into the relaxed Bali groove.
The complimentary breakfast was sensational and sets you up nicely for the day. Like a lot of places in Bali, the service was faultless (and genuinely friendly) and I would strongly recommend the Sentosa spa. It is more expensive than others that you can find, but when you're laying face down and trying to relax - believe me, it's worth it. We found that at Sentosa you can be as social or as isolated as you wish, you're in your own little slice of paradise once you're in your villa so it was a genuine struggle to leave the hotel at times.
Unfortunately for me, I lost my wallet in the back of a cab which could've been a disaster ... sure enough the hotel tracked the driver down and it was safely returned with all my cards and cash intact.
Out of the three hotels we stayed at across Bali/Lombok - Sentosa was my favourite.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
PJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2010

Everything turned out as eagerly expected. The pictures of the rooms on the web-site were fairly close to what you really get - unlike most sites for Bali hotels. The buildings look a little tired, but in terms of the amenities and the facilities, it is very difficult to fault them. The gym was state ofthe artm and the villas were heavenly - where we could enjoy with our family and all the noise without anyone every complaining because each villa is so private and shut away from the others. Breakfast was varied and interesting in the main course we could choose. We have actually voted that this is the best place for a return - and i must not forget the fact that it is in Seminyak - only a short distance from anything that mattered in Seminyak. Getting taxis to and from Seminyak is not a problem at all if you are tired because no matter how small the fare, no one is unwilling to drive you. An important point is customer service where the hotel actually listens to your complaints and is very reasonable about making good the problems. we had a small glitch in our stay there but the manager was quick to help us and he was so pleasant about it, we felt bad about fussing over the issue! the place does not come cheap but then it is real value for money!! And bless you! Internet throughout is fast and FREE!!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2010

We went to Bali for a cousin's wedding, and spent 5 nights at the Sentosa villas. We were a group of 18 and stayed in 4 and 3 bedroom villas.

My initial reaction was literally 'wow!'...the private pool was clean and very inviting, especially in the hot and humid weather! The rooms were very nicely laid out, and the bathrooms were just lush! The complex itself is massive, so whenever we wanted to get down to the reception/restaurant we ordered a hotel buggy. Of course, the other option is walk, which isn't too far (depending on where your villa is!).

Our package came with free complimentary breakfast down at the main restaurant, and my god the breakfast was delicious! I really recommend the Lobster Benedict!

The spa (next to the restauant) is very nice, but I'd say very expensive for what you actually get. If you want a real massage treatment and not too bothered about the pampering side of things then ask the reception for information. There are tons of massage places dotted around Bali so you might as well try one!

You can use the internet at the buggy control desk (located at the entrance - before you get to the reception desk). There were 2 desktop computers for guests to use.

To be perfectly honest, the villa itself seems like a very self contained establishment. Unfortunately due to the purpose of my trip, I was unable to venture out much, but from observation, I'd say its location is close enough to convenience stores and resturants, but probably not close enough to stroll down to the beach.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family