“Not a Paradise, Not even a decent Hotel”

Villa Seminyak Estate & Spa
Ranked #43 of 149 Hotels in Seminyak
Reviewed August 28, 2009

After our wedding we had planned our Honeymoon to Bali and Koh Samui.
For the first nights of our Honeymoon, we planned to stay in a luxurious hotel with a private villa, and booked a private pool villa in Villa Seminyak Estate.

Considering the hotel prices in Bali and the price that we booked the hotel, we had very high expectations.

Our deal was the Honeymoon package with a Wedding Ceremony etc..
But the Hotel was really really poor, the reception area is not better than a Hostel that you can stay for 10USD a night. As we enter the hotel, there was another couple having a discussion with Hotel receptionist, they left the Hotel saying that this Hotel is not want they booked and payed for. Not the best Start for the dream vacation!

Well, we wait at the lousy reception for about 30 minutes, for the Hotel staff to prepare the check-in documents. We looked around and decided that we should have a back up plan and checked other alternatives in Bali from our laptop at the reception. And sadly for us (since we paid in advance) we had find many hotel with better reviews with in the same price range.

Finally we went to our "luxurious Private Villa", I have to admit it is quite big, it has a very large pool, it has a huge garden. But the room was pretty dirty, they were some stains over the bed, over th couch etc... The walls were dirty. Everything in room (TV, Stereo, Beds,) was old.

The hotel was anything but a paradise or a romantic gateway.

Well finally we had called our travel agency, to cancel our reservation but we were told that we can only get a refund for the 2nd and 3rd nights (we were staying for 3 nigths) and they will need to charge us for the first night even if we do not stay.

We looked at the room again, got a refund from our agency for the rest of the nights and left the hotel without even staying for the night we had paid.

We end up in a very very nice hotel in Seminyak, Oberio Hotel. We paid less for the Ocean Room (Not a Villa, but much much nicer) The hotel was on the beach, Perceft service. That was a paradise

Conclusion:
As a couple we do not consider ourselves to be very picky on the hotels, we mostly stay in Hostel during our travels and we pay accordingly. When we book for an Luxurious hotel, we did expect a certain level of service and cleanliness, Villa Seminyak did not meet our expectation.
The rooms are big but that's about it... We stayed in 2 other Hotels in Bali, and considering their service level, Villa Seminyak is a very very poor Hotel.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,016)

Reviewed August 27, 2009

We stayed in one of the "Royal Villas" and totally recommend the upgrade for those traveling with a young family. There is ample space for kids to run aorund and our kids (3 & 5yrs) had a built in babysitter...the HUGE pool. It was the most relaxing family trip we have had and there were many of the 11 days where we didn't leave the villa and just lazed around our own private pool.
The traditional looking "Royal Villa" was clean and serviced daily and the staff were very friendly and accomodating. The daily breakfast was basic and nothing too flash, but all we needed and they did do pancakes for us when our little boy requested them! The complex was neat and everyone was very friendly, yet in some areas it seemed a little tired. It could do with a lick of paint and new linen and it would be just perfect. Still those are minor compared to all the positives this place has to offer.
Other benefits were; close to seminyak supermarkert, albeit down a few alley ways, but close enough so you can take advantage of the kitchen facilities in the villa - if you want too. Shuttle service was great and when asked they took us to the beach (not sure if this was the norm?) and to the main road to save us walking with kids. Room service was good but we opted to eat out at the many local resturants around the villas more and only used it a few times. The inhouse spa was busy and not easy to get into if you didn't want to plan a day in advanced but well worth the experience. There was a local spa just near the enterance to the villas though and they were well used by my husband and I during our stay....as was the local laundry. Both rooms are air conditioned but the open plan living/ kicthen area and bathrooms are not and are open to the elements, so this could be hot in the summer months, but that is what the pool came in handy for! We didn't have problems with mosquitos and the rooms are sprayed at night and the beds have mossie nets and the villas do have mossie colis for use, if needed. The geckos and frogs in the grounds were also a highlight for us and our children and we really did feel like we were out in the middle of the island somewhere......however i could see when all the royal villas are full, things could be different and the serenity and peace may not be there....but the seminyak traffic/ noise was non existent, even though you are just off the main strip.
All in all a great family holiday, the Villas were very kid freindly and the pool and bali DVD's were great babysitters for us, as well as the other bali attractions.....my husband and i even finished a couple of books....now that is a first on a holiday with kids! We would definately go back!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank PerthDaisygirl
Reviewed August 26, 2009

Some people have given this hotel a bad review and I think I know why. The phots on the net make the lagoon hotels look spectacular and from the outside they do look good. I had a freind stay in a lagoon and they said it was very small. I had booked a jacuzzi villa but on arrival asked if I could upgrade to the Royal Villa which we did for an extra 50USD/night. Let me say that the Royal Villa is amazing, I stayed there for 5 nights and it is the best place I have stayed in Bali and I have stayed in about 10 hotels. It is very private and quiet, the rooms are beautiful and spacious. The villa is surrounded by a 10ft wall so it is very private. The staff always ring the door bell before they come in and you can always lock the front gate if you want. The breakfast was great and we ate at the restaraunt one night when they had a Balianese dance night which was great. It's a good 5 minute walk upto the main street but the staff will happily drive you up in a golf buggy. It is very hard to find but all the taxi drivers new where it was located.
The only negative experience I had is that I asked reception for an iron, 2 hours before I was leaving for a wedding one night (yes I should have asked much sooner) but it didnt arrive in time. I rang reception twice and they said it was on it's way but didnt arrive before I left. The iron was left when I got back from the wedding - I dont think they have one onsite and had to get one in from somewhere else. Apart from that, I would definitely stay here again but I would pay the extra and get a private villa like the Royal. I travelled with my wife and two teenage kids who didnt want to leave the villa for shopping or sightseeing because they loved it so much.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank 2Saint1970
Reviewed August 24, 2009

Firstly, the staff are brilliant. I can't say enough good things about the staff.
However, that doesn't make up for the fact that the villas are quite rundown. Very average. Paint peeling off walls, gardens in the villas are tiny and half-dead. Stains around the toilet which isn't very nice at all.
The beds are very comfy by hotel standards.
Great location.
The breakfast is average, but for some reason our next hotel (Swiss Belhotel Bayview in "Nusa Dua" (not)) was far worse.
Pretty much zero facilities, but we knew that before we stayed.
It's okay. But it's overpriced for what you get. Perhaps in it's heyday it was worth that money but not anymore.

Reviewed August 24, 2009

We recently returned from Bali where we stayed at Villa Seminyak for 4 nights, we booked a lagoon Villa but upon arrival were upgraded to an Executive Suit Private Villa- BEAUTIFUL!! We were so impressed, the private pool was amazing, large open living area and lovely big bedroom with kingsize bed!

Its in a good spot - just 15 or so minutes from double six beach and close to large supermarket and lots of shops. The staff are great, very helpful and the grounds and villas are well maintained.

The lagoon Villas dont look too fancy tho, very small and not very private with little space to relax or sunbake. we were extremely happy we were upgraded - i would definately recommend spending the little extra to get a private villa! I think we would have been dissapointed had we stayed in a Lagoon Villa.

Thankyou Villa Seminyak for an amazing Holiday! We will most definately be back!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple