The Seiryu Villas(Seminyak)(Great Value!)
$161
Anantara Seminyak Bali Resort(Seminyak)(Great Value!)
$259
The Seminyak Beach Resort & Spa(Seminyak)(Great Value!)
$276
Agoda.com
$324
$273
Orbitz.com
W Bali - Seminyak(Seminyak)
$302
$235
$212
TripAdvisor
The Legian Bali(Seminyak)
$555
$723
Agoda.com
The Haven Bali(Seminyak)(Great Value!)
All reviewsshiva roomloved the french toastbalinese touchescrazy seminyakgreat spot in seminyakbeautiful oasislounging by the poolboutique hotellovely poolwalking distancedeluxe roomamerican breakfastshort walk to the beachreception areatucked awayaway from the hustle and bustlequiet location
Reviewed April 23, 2011

We had the room shiva delux: It was old and noisy. The badroom looks nice ( outside), but it's not confortable. When you take a shower everything is wet afterworths.
The owner, lady which comes from South America is very nice.
We arrived here with the idee to have a pleasant stay, but they told us when we arrived that the hotel is being renovated. That a good thing, but we didn't like it at all that time because the hotel was a bit of a mess. And there were a lott of things broken in the room.
We were very dissapointed. The good thing is, although we had a reservation for 4 night, it was no problem we canceled the room after one night.

Go there in 2012, not now. Probably after the renovation the hotel will be nice again.
The breakfast is oke. Location is oke, 5 min walk to the center of Seminyak.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Carlijne22
Reviewed April 3, 2011

Judging by other reviews on this site, as well as Villa Karisa's website, I expected much more than we got. We stayed in the 'Shiva' room and paid $195USD for two nights. I had sent a note with my booking informing the hosts that we would be arriving late and probably wouldn't make it to the Villa until after midnight. We couldn't find the Villa and tried to call them a dozen or so times but no one would answer the phone. It took us ages to find the place as a result. No one ever did answer the phone at either of the two numbers we were supplied with.

I can see how some people would like the rustic charm of the Shiva room, but we thought it wasn't very good considering the price we paid. There were cobwebs in the corners and the roof leaked in several spots. There was also quite a lot of noise which could be heard from the kitchen. The bathroom is open-air but the eaves of the roof are set in such a way that water drips on you while you stand at the sink and you can't stay dry while using the toilet. I'm sure it would be fine in sunny weather, but the room is really unsuitable when it is raining. The bathroom is very poorly designed and needs to be renovated.

They advertise a 'patio' but it is really just a walkway. There is no room for chairs and none are provided anyway.

When I wanted to find anyone to get some help I couldn't find anyone. The only time anyone came to see how we were doing was when they wanted payment (which was due upfront not on checkout for some reason).

We also had 5 or 6 power outages. Twice it was in the middle of the night.

There was construction/renovation going on to much of the complex while we were there but there was no mention of it when we booked or while we were there. The breakfast was mediocre as well. It consisted of toast and eggs and some fruit. For some reason both times we asked for the eggs to be cooked hard, they cooked them runny. I would suggest going out for breakfast if you are staying there. There are many better options for $5-10

In Villa Karisa's defence, some of the other rooms looked nicer (even the cheaper ones) and the place may have some potential when the renovation is done. Having visited Bali several times over the past 5 years and having stayed in a dozen or so different places I would say that Villa Karisa does not offer a very good value. It would be much more reasonable if they were charging somewhere in the range of $70US a night.

There are much better places in the $100US a night range which offer better service and value for your dollar. If you are considering this place I would suggest you look elsewhere.

Room Tip: The cheapest rooms look nicer than the Shiva
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank khawk22
Reviewed February 2, 2011

Hotel is in a great spot in Seminyak. Rooms are spacious & staff very helpful. Problem is that you need to ask them for help a little too often. Like when horrible smells & raw sewerage come up through the plug in your bath. And when the aircon constantly requires resetting because it is tripping some circuit breaker. When you report the issues to the staff it is also obvious that it isn't the first time that these isses have arisen.
Hotel could be great with these things fixed but unfortunately they really detract from the ambience of the place.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
balidiva, Manager at Villa Karisa, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2011

hello.
Thanks for the review ,we have done an extensive renovation to resolve all the electrical and plumbing problem on top of 3 new rooms.....It is starting to look really good.
.the renovation will be finished end of April.
VK team

Reviewed January 25, 2011

We booked Villa Karisa on the recomendation of a frienad who had stayed there previously and on arrival we quite liked the place. It was peaceful considering the location in the middle of Seminyak and the staff were friendly. We also had lunch there which though a litle more expensive than other places we enjoyed. However considering this was the most expensive accomodation we stayed in on our trip it was by no means the best quality.
There was heavy rain whilst we were in Seminyak and the room we stayed in had a rather large damp patch on the wall at the side of our bed (we stayed in the more modern part of the building) but put this down to the weather and at the time it didn't bother to make a big deal out of it. On gathering our stuff to leave for Singapore I found that a whole rucksack of our clothes were so damp we could have rung them out.
What really compelled me to write this review was after returning from Villa Karisa I have "ringworm"!! The pets who lived at the hotel, particularly Layla a Golden retreiver were friendly and quite comfortble around guests with free run of the place. I was told by the owner that her skin condition was a reaction from being on the beach and was quite happy to stroke her. Unfortunately it now seems it is otherwise and the timings my doctor has given me with regard to how long the rash takes to come out fits in with our stay.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Cocobear74

hello.
we don't mind constructive criticism, but blaming Villa Karisa for ringworm is just not right.You were around Bali before you came to Karisa,our dog leila had a rash since she was born as Golden retrievers have a hard with the tropical weather it is dermatitis and it runs in her genes...If in fact what you say is the truth we would all have ringworm as it is a fungus( comun in Bali...)that is very contagious.So please refrain from post ing a comment like that before you google it.
It makes us look real bad when in fact we want the best for our guests ,ALWAYS.
We offered to send your clothes to the cleaners, but you declined .
thank you.
VK team.

Reviewed November 12, 2010

I was booking the villa by the nice pics they show in the net. But the pics will just show hot spots and not reality.

First I wondered why they wanted 40% deposit befor they confirmed my reservation. When I arrived I know why (and when I wanted to move out after 1 day, they did'nt wanna give me even a cent back.. So I was staying for 2 nights and left the rest of my deposit (2,5 days) there).

We had many problems right after moving in, but there was no manager for problems available, he left the ground at 3 pm.

Here just a few ideas about the problems we had:

Out kitchen was not usable, the gazcooker was not connected

No water in the handwash stone and no water in the shower 6 hours after arriving. Then they tried to fix, but after 20 minutes the water stopped again

The bathroom narrow and very dark; the floor dirty. The sink not working propper.
The bathroom towels were very old (used to be white, but was gray-brown).

We couldn't find any utilities (washing gel) for shower aso.

When I connected my notebook to the electricity, I got an electricity shock after I pluged in my notebook in.

The lights are very unpleasant with the energy saving bulbs.

The bungalow was too close to the street and dogs were shouting early morning.

We had 2 bedrooms but only 1 sunchair for two persons.

The maids needed less than 15 minutes to clean the whole space (bad work).

We had no internet in our room the two days of staying
There was no television the 2 days (antenna connection was not working).

The electricity was off very often. They said, its the coverment, but I never had that at other places in Seminyak.

The breakfast was comparing to other places very poor, the breakfastroom unpleasent.

The lock of the front door of the room was not working (we could not lock the room)

The aircondition was always off after a while and dint swich on automaticaly.

The swimmingpool dirty and not usable by dirty water

... and so on ...

At last I was happy to leave the villa, even I lost lot of money. But it was our holidays and its better to move out than being unhappy. We found easily much nicer places for same money in the neigborhood.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple