All reviewsshiva roomloved the french toastbalinese touchescrazy seminyakgreat spot in seminyakbeautiful oasislounging by the poolboutique hotellovely poolwalking distancedeluxe roomamerican breakfastshort walk to the beacha lovely stayreception areatucked awaywe loved our stay
Reviewed April 3, 2011

Judging by other reviews on this site, as well as Villa Karisa's website, I expected much more than we got. We stayed in the 'Shiva' room and paid $195USD for two nights. I had sent a note with my booking informing the hosts that we would be arriving late and probably wouldn't make it to the Villa until after midnight. We couldn't find the Villa and tried to call them a dozen or so times but no one would answer the phone. It took us ages to find the place as a result. No one ever did answer the phone at either of the two numbers we were supplied with.

I can see how some people would like the rustic charm of the Shiva room, but we thought it wasn't very good considering the price we paid. There were cobwebs in the corners and the roof leaked in several spots. There was also quite a lot of noise which could be heard from the kitchen. The bathroom is open-air but the eaves of the roof are set in such a way that water drips on you while you stand at the sink and you can't stay dry while using the toilet. I'm sure it would be fine in sunny weather, but the room is really unsuitable when it is raining. The bathroom is very poorly designed and needs to be renovated.

They advertise a 'patio' but it is really just a walkway. There is no room for chairs and none are provided anyway.

When I wanted to find anyone to get some help I couldn't find anyone. The only time anyone came to see how we were doing was when they wanted payment (which was due upfront not on checkout for some reason).

We also had 5 or 6 power outages. Twice it was in the middle of the night.

There was construction/renovation going on to much of the complex while we were there but there was no mention of it when we booked or while we were there. The breakfast was mediocre as well. It consisted of toast and eggs and some fruit. For some reason both times we asked for the eggs to be cooked hard, they cooked them runny. I would suggest going out for breakfast if you are staying there. There are many better options for $5-10

In Villa Karisa's defence, some of the other rooms looked nicer (even the cheaper ones) and the place may have some potential when the renovation is done. Having visited Bali several times over the past 5 years and having stayed in a dozen or so different places I would say that Villa Karisa does not offer a very good value. It would be much more reasonable if they were charging somewhere in the range of $70US a night.

There are much better places in the $100US a night range which offer better service and value for your dollar. If you are considering this place I would suggest you look elsewhere.

Room Tip: The cheapest rooms look nicer than the Shiva
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank khawk22
Reviewed February 2, 2011

Hotel is in a great spot in Seminyak. Rooms are spacious & staff very helpful. Problem is that you need to ask them for help a little too often. Like when horrible smells & raw sewerage come up through the plug in your bath. And when the aircon constantly requires resetting because it is tripping some circuit breaker. When you report the issues to the staff it is also obvious that it isn't the first time that these isses have arisen.
Hotel could be great with these things fixed but unfortunately they really detract from the ambience of the place.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
balidiva, Manager at Villa Karisa, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2011

hello.
Thanks for the review ,we have done an extensive renovation to resolve all the electrical and plumbing problem on top of 3 new rooms.....It is starting to look really good.
.the renovation will be finished end of April.
VK team

Reviewed January 25, 2011

We booked Villa Karisa on the recomendation of a frienad who had stayed there previously and on arrival we quite liked the place. It was peaceful considering the location in the middle of Seminyak and the staff were friendly. We also had lunch there which though a litle more expensive than other places we enjoyed. However considering this was the most expensive accomodation we stayed in on our trip it was by no means the best quality.
There was heavy rain whilst we were in Seminyak and the room we stayed in had a rather large damp patch on the wall at the side of our bed (we stayed in the more modern part of the building) but put this down to the weather and at the time it didn't bother to make a big deal out of it. On gathering our stuff to leave for Singapore I found that a whole rucksack of our clothes were so damp we could have rung them out.
What really compelled me to write this review was after returning from Villa Karisa I have "ringworm"!! The pets who lived at the hotel, particularly Layla a Golden retreiver were friendly and quite comfortble around guests with free run of the place. I was told by the owner that her skin condition was a reaction from being on the beach and was quite happy to stroke her. Unfortunately it now seems it is otherwise and the timings my doctor has given me with regard to how long the rash takes to come out fits in with our stay.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Cocobear74

hello.
we don't mind constructive criticism, but blaming Villa Karisa for ringworm is just not right.You were around Bali before you came to Karisa,our dog leila had a rash since she was born as Golden retrievers have a hard with the tropical weather it is dermatitis and it runs in her genes...If in fact what you say is the truth we would all have ringworm as it is a fungus( comun in Bali...)that is very contagious.So please refrain from post ing a comment like that before you google it.
It makes us look real bad when in fact we want the best for our guests ,ALWAYS.
We offered to send your clothes to the cleaners, but you declined .
thank you.
VK team.

Reviewed November 12, 2010

I was booking the villa by the nice pics they show in the net. But the pics will just show hot spots and not reality.

First I wondered why they wanted 40% deposit befor they confirmed my reservation. When I arrived I know why (and when I wanted to move out after 1 day, they did'nt wanna give me even a cent back.. So I was staying for 2 nights and left the rest of my deposit (2,5 days) there).

We had many problems right after moving in, but there was no manager for problems available, he left the ground at 3 pm.

Here just a few ideas about the problems we had:

Out kitchen was not usable, the gazcooker was not connected

No water in the handwash stone and no water in the shower 6 hours after arriving. Then they tried to fix, but after 20 minutes the water stopped again

The bathroom narrow and very dark; the floor dirty. The sink not working propper.
The bathroom towels were very old (used to be white, but was gray-brown).

We couldn't find any utilities (washing gel) for shower aso.

When I connected my notebook to the electricity, I got an electricity shock after I pluged in my notebook in.

The lights are very unpleasant with the energy saving bulbs.

The bungalow was too close to the street and dogs were shouting early morning.

We had 2 bedrooms but only 1 sunchair for two persons.

The maids needed less than 15 minutes to clean the whole space (bad work).

We had no internet in our room the two days of staying
There was no television the 2 days (antenna connection was not working).

The electricity was off very often. They said, its the coverment, but I never had that at other places in Seminyak.

The breakfast was comparing to other places very poor, the breakfastroom unpleasent.

The lock of the front door of the room was not working (we could not lock the room)

The aircondition was always off after a while and dint swich on automaticaly.

The swimmingpool dirty and not usable by dirty water

... and so on ...

At last I was happy to leave the villa, even I lost lot of money. But it was our holidays and its better to move out than being unhappy. We found easily much nicer places for same money in the neigborhood.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank harlemjump
Reviewed October 19, 2010

This was our first time to Bali and so it was with some trepidation we arrived at Villa Karisa having read some mixed reviews on Tripadvisor. As it tuned out we had nothing to worry about . Villa Karisa is a wonderful place to stay away from the crowds of Kuta but well located around Seminyak's many eating areas and shops. It is close to the beach but I would advise that you hire a scooter which the staff can organise for you .Most of the staff are wonderfull especially Octay who met us with a smile and a laugh that made her whole body shake. With the customary fruit juice she showed us to our room the Ganesha suite with a joining room. Both rooms were generous in size and very clean .There is a T.V in both with satellite channels and numerous magazines. There is water cooler which also provides hot water if you feel like a cup of tea as well as mini fridge. The bathroom and toilet are an open style arrangement with a bath and a hand held shower.This would perhaps be my only criticism as I have a personal preference for a fixed shower. We only ate breakfast ( eggs and toast) at Karisa and had our meals at the numerous restaurants around the corner. The pool which was situated in the center of the property was also one of the highlights at Karisa. It is a beautiful pool surrounded by trees, day beds and umbrellas- the perfect spot to relax after a day of shopping, surfing and riding around Bali listening to the cool jazz and smooth soul grooves played through the sound system. That our time at Karisa was so relaxing can be credited to the the Villa's owner Isabella and her partner Mohammed who made us feel so welcome .We are planning our next trip already.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family