“Affordable oasis”

Ranked #29 of 144 Hotels in Seminyak
Belmont
“Affordable oasis”
Reviewed December 27, 2012

I recently stayed had a 6 night stay at Villa Coco and thoroughly enjoyed my stay/

Villa Coco is down a lane way off Double 6 and is virtually behind The Haven. The location is away from the activity of the streets and is nice and quiet.

I stayed in a one bedroom, 2 storey, enclosed bungalow. You have your own entrance and the bungalow itself is very spacious, however the stairs are dodgy (but safe) and I would not recommend staying in one of these if your balance is not good, or you have mobility problems.

The bungalow does not have its own pool, but the one I stayed in was right next to the main pool. Speaking of the main pool, on most days I had it to myself anyway.

The staff were wonderful and friendly.

Sadly the other residents were not, they pretty much kept to themselves.

Breakfast is available, which can served at your bungalow or in the restaurant area. The menu did not appeal to me, so I can comment on the quality.

Overall, I would have no problems recommending Villa Coco. I'll be staying there again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed December 20, 2012

Manager Claire and her friendly and efficient staff is what made our stay so wonderful.
One of our party celebrated their birthday while we were there and a lovely surprise birthday cake , complete with candle, arrived at breakfast time. The villa was then decorated during the day, without our knowledge, and while we were out, in preparation for a planned celebratory dinner that night.
Nothing was ever too much trouble and we were very grateful.
We also loved the massages!

• Stayed December 2012
Elanora
Reviewed December 8, 2012

Just back from an unscheduled trip to Bali, 21/11/12 - 6/12/12 after staying at Villa Coco in May/June 2012, was really no contest on where we were going to stay.......
We ended up staying in a few different accommodation types this trip...older style, right up to the same Villa that is the subject of a totally unwarranted very negative comments on Villa Coco, Claire and her wonderful staff.
We were more than happy with the included breakfast choices, and rotated them around..every few days we would order an extra serve of scrambled eggs (22k)...if you wanted a full on breakfast, I think that was around 55k.....
All the meals / snacks that we had around the pool and in the room were all beautifully cooked and very reasonably priced...had heaps of spring rolls(Jan loved them, so fresh..bit like our Amah used to make in Penang in the early 70'S)... steak sandwiches..spag boll ( on another guests recommendation)... steaks...Barra...pizza/nachos/ chips for the Grankids ....Ketut makes a mean cocktail , helped out by the up and rising star Putut ( funny fellow).
ALL the places we stayed in the housekeeping was spot on...if you did run out of toilet paper, there was a heap in the cupboard....needed something just asked and you received it in short order.....
For anybody with ANY smarts if you are staying( anywhere) for quite a few days, you clean the fridge out ( can't get charged for using it if it's all in the cupboard) and fill it up with your stuff, and even if you have NO smarts, and you have a free 20lt water dispenser in your room, you fill up some water bottles put them in the empty fridge, and hey presto, no need to go and buy cold water every day...
We have NEVER stayed anywhere in our 25 odd trips to Bali, that has had such helpful and friendly Manger and staff........ASK and all efforts will be made to satisfy your request fans, bedding mobile phone loan etc., etc.....we were unfortunately crook (cold/flu) for 8 days of our stay...Claire organized for us to see a Doctor...saw her send someone off to get some Lomitol for someone with gastro...offer helmets ( and been told to mind own business) to idiots off riding bikes with no helmets( one ended up swathed in bandages..Karma's bites at times ;) ).
So to readers of Tripadvisor, I would advise taking with "a grain of salt", the negatives ( picky and unwarranted)...sure there are bugs in the out door areas ( millipedes NOT centipedes) and the frogs aren't "attack" frogs...what do you get at a barbie at home????..a few cracks, doors not perfectly flush fitting...it's Bali for God's sake, and the wet season to boot.
We thank Claire and her wonderful staff ( BEST massage ever, again) for another great stay at a place that has still maintained some of the old Bali charm in a rapidly Westernizing accommodation pool.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Nev B
coco1244, Manager at Villa Coco, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
I know we go out of our way to help guests but we can only do it if we know at the time. Thank you for saying what you have written, it helps put the moral back where it should be.

See you again at your home away from home.

Your friends at Villa Coco
Perth, Australia
Reviewed December 8, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for 4 nights between the 4th and 8th December during a quick spur of the moment holiday. We had previously stayed in Villa Jodie in Seminyak with the family but this time there was only the 2 of us. We stayed in a 1 bedroom villa. The bedroom was upstairs and the lounge, dining, bathroom areas below. It was villa 2b.
Found the place a little older but never the less excellent. The staff were very friendly and helpful and the manager, Clair, went out of her way to accommodate us. Katut makes a great cocktail at the pool bar.
The location is close to everything and it was great to get back to the hotel in the evenings, sip on a 1/2 price cocktail by the pool ( happy hour between 4.30 and 6.30) for $5 Australian and relax.
My wife has a thing about massages and we tried a heap during this short stay, from some cheaper $5 ones to the top of the range $35 ones. By far the best I had was on the last night and it was the in house Villa Coco masseuse. If I had only known this I probably would not have left the villa at all?
As far as the negative review below goes, if you don't want insects and geckos, I suggest you don't go to a tropical island for a holiday!
For me, being woken every now and again by the sound of a gecko added to the atmosphere and reminded me where I was.
Thanks for a great stay and when we return to Bali in the future, Villa Coco will be our first choice.
Best regards to Claire and her husband, hope to see you again in the not too distant future.
Dave and Loretta.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
mt eliza victoria
Reviewed December 7, 2012

First of all the above review, think that person is having a bad day!!! We were staying at villa coco the very same time, same kind of villa, what rubbish re breakkie, fridge size, curtains, bar fridge, dirty sheets, and if they felt like that, then why not speak to Clare the manager who is more than happy to accommodate any query!!! So.... Staff just beautiful helpful friendly always smiling. Accommodation- v clean, peaceful, tranquil, relaxing, private, close to beach, shops, public transport. Despite porky pigs previous comment re breakkie, there were about 5 choices as your free option then an optional other menu, there was an Fabulous all day menu, very very reasonably priced, the best spag Bol ever!!! . Rooms are spacious with everything u need, gorgeous outdoor bathrooms, yes mosis, geckos, this is the tropics, to be expected. Music at pool and bar all day and into evening. Just a beautiful wonderful part of the world to get lost in on your holiday!!:)

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
coco1244, Manager at Villa Coco, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Thank you for your support and it was nice that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Regards

Villa Coco Staff
Perth, Australia
Reviewed December 4, 2012

Stayed in Two-Bed open villa for a week and a half (Two Couples/4 Friends)

Positives:
- Pictures are accurate. Expect what you see on the website and with these photos.
- Outside furniture was good quality.
- Rooms were cleaned everyday (though toilet rolls were not re-stocked)
-Majority of staff were friendly.
- Close to beach, and a few great little restaurants but expect to hire a scooter or get taxis constantly. TIP: The road is a one way street so walk out to main road to get taxi otherwise you waste 5-10mins in a taxi going the opposite way just to get to the start of your street.
- Filtered water bottle available.

Negatives:
- Breakfast was utterly disappointing. Our included breakfasts were small, and not very nice. We ended up spending way more than we wanted to because we had to go out for breakfast every day and room service was NOT an option. When we did order our plates were riddled with hair, and didn't look like clean dishes. Food was disappointing even for room service standard food.
- Bar was rarely manned. We had to call and ask for someone to come down half an hour into Happy Hour.
- When we needed assistance, it took front desk a while to help out and communication was shaky, the amount of times we got hung up on without communication of what the next step would be was disappointing and we were quiet, mostly keep-to-ourselves type of guests definitely not the rude and constantly needy type.
- One day we came back after going out on our daily breakfast run and our bed was made differently and we made the comment "oh they're shaking things up the way the make it!" and then went back out for the rest of the day (told reception that we were), came back and our bed was made differently again, sheets were crunkled up and dirty underneath, and my aus-indo power convertor was in the wrong room plugged into my friends hairdryer. Weird and a little unnerving.
- Were charged for things out of mini-bar we didn't use but again, seemed like too much effort to sort that out so sucked it up and paid for it.
- Tiles were lifting on bottom of the pool

Room comments: HUGE crack running all the way down the wall attached to the pool, not worrying but easy to fix so don't know why you wouldn't fix that (presentation!!) Rooms cop the direct sunlight in the morning so expect to be awake between 6am and 7am everyday. Flimsy white sheet-like curtain not actual curtains that will block heat or sunlight out. Bedroom doors and bathroom doors are wooden so they expand and contract with the weather meaning the doors were hard to open and wouldn't stay flush together so A LOT of mosquitos and geckos easily found their way into our rooms. If you choose an open villa, be prepared to have bugs run over your feet in the shower or whilst using the toilet as the bathroom is open too and they've made the decision to put plants and soil in the bathroom. Mozzie, centipede, gecko and slug heaven right there!! No fan and poor lighting in the bathrooms. Small fridge, so if you're there for a long time like we were, you have to go to mini-mart everyday to get cold water and whatever else you need. HOWEVER, like I said, pictures are accurate and I know some people will love it and others will have stays like mine, as many negatives as postives but I really do think a few key adjustments need to be made, in my opinion, to warrant spending the money on a villa here instead of a good pool-side hotel room that offers decent curtains, a good pool bar and a decent breakfast. A good sleep-in, a manned pool bar and an amazing breakfast are some things people really look forward to when booking a trip to Bali, and you won't get those little luxuries at Villa Coco.

Maybe we just had an unlucky stay, I'm not sure, it wasn't that it was horrible, just disappointing. I hope if you choose this place, you have a nicer stay and that a few things get updated and are improved on. I wish the best for the staff, the place and future guests but personally, we will be looking elsewhere for accommodation next trip.

Room Tip: We wish we chose a closed Villa. Open villa is too bug-ridden and mozzie-infested and rooms face sun...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank thecasualtraveller32
bear5750, General Manager at Villa Coco, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
On reading this review I thought it had been posted to the wrong site. I have just shown my head staff and also some guests. One guest said do not worry about it, forget it…but it is hard as we take it personally and I now have a head of housekeeping saying this is not true about the beds and is very confused. I will still reply to this as we have a right of reply.

It is great to have four 22 year olds (approx) staying with us as we do attract an older age group although we have had many schoolies in over the past 2 weeks and I would just like to say…all very well behaved.

Our staff has a huge reputation of being so friendly and I know they are as I hear it all the time. They are very happy people. The only time they would be unfriendly would be when someone treats them wrongly or does something wrong!

I wish you had of complained to me or a head of staff about the breakfast because it would have been done to your liking real quick. You can upgrade to a full American breakfast here and we very rarely get complaints of portion sizes. But once again you have waited until you got home to complain and now nothing can be done. In total you had 36 breakfasts during your stay here, so they cannot have been so bad.

Room Service – NOT an option. It is an option and our room service income is excellent, so not sure why you say NOT an option. We send many meals to villas. And as for cleanliness, I have nothing to say as we stress this point all the time.

Bar not manned - yes this does happen sometimes for five minutes or so when no one is at the pool bar as he may go and deliver some room service meals. But if someone is drinking, the barman will arrange someone else to deliver room service.

Beds not being made the same - I have a head of House Keeping running around now saying…that is not correct. One thing the staff knows well is how to make a bed.

Aus-indo power adaptor - sorry not sure why that was in the wrong room, maybe your friend borrowed it if it was plugged into her hairdryer. Sorry but really cannot answer this as I cannot work out why my staff would move it, but at least it was in the other bathroom. We have plenty of these on front office and they are really cheap here to buy.

Mini Bar charges: You did not have to suck it up and pay for it. If it goes from your mini bar it means that you have normally consumed it. This does happen and you forget that you have had it after a hard night. It certainly would not have been an effort as what you say you did not have really was not worth worrying about as it was only Aqua and we would have sucked it up!!! (Paid for it).

Tiles: There is one tile that is loose at the bottom of the pool and it is an outlet and it has to be removable as we need to have access.

Crack: Yes there/was a crack on the wall by the pool and we had a couple of earthquakes recently and it has probably opened up a little more. It is being fixed as we speak. It is not an easy fix and we were probably waiting until we had more time to repair it correctly. As for presentation, this villa is presented very well and I don’t think a hairline crack would worry too many. But all fixed now.

Direct Sunlight: ONE ROOM cops (as reviewer put it) the direct sunlight in the morning as my bedroom does as well and I know how annoying it is. I will look at putting up block outs in that room. I have not had this complaint before and thanks for bringing it to my attention. It is hard to keep things out of the sun when it moves around all day.
The curtains that are there now are actual curtains (you said they are not actual curtains), we got them made at a curtain place and they are lovely linen look fabric.

No fan in an open air bathroom, sorry there will never be a fan in an open air bathroom here because they would rust out in a month.
You could have asked for a fan and we would have bought a free standing one as we have some spares if guests need them. There are 9 lights in each bathroom in this villa. But once again we have extra lights for reading and putting on makeup for people to borrow if they need them and it is listed in the guest information book in the villa or bungalow. The decision to put plants in the bathroom is a Bali thing and is very in here in Bali. Mozzies and geckos and little creatures all come with a tropical climate. It is hard with the mozzies but we supply coils and this helps, we also fog once a week. All the other creatures love Bali too.
Always plenty of toilet paper, normally 6 rolls to spare and if more is needed, just ask.

Small Fridge: Our fridges are bigger than any fridges in most hotels that I have seen and we have been told that they are a good size. Once again ask and we would have bought you a spare one. It is noted down in our guest information what we have spares of most things and we do have a spare fridge.

Your headline: Needs improvement before we book again…you don’t need too!

If any future or intending guests who are thinking of coming to Villa Coco would like to email me personally, I can add to this persons review. I feel I do not need to put it on TA but anyone that is worried…just email us direct please.
Mooloolaba, Australia
Reviewed December 3, 2012 via mobile

We have been coming to Bali for the last 30 years and staying in different accommodation all the time, we both agreed that Villa Coco would have to be he best we have stayed in. Totally affordable luxury we were in a 2 bedroom private pool villa, you could not ask for more. The first morning when our breakfast arrived with fresh fruit, juice, coffee, eggs, bacon, Nasi gorang we sat by our pool in total comfort. Clare and her team of staff were always there if you needed anything and always with smiles. Next to the cocktails by the pool for $5 it was hard to only have a couple. We decided to stay in one night and have dinner in our room, the food was beautiful and cheap. This place has everything you need for a great holiday, close to shops, beach, restaurants but once you are inside the villa you are in your own little oasis.

• Stayed November 2012