“Fantastic”
Review of Villa Coco

Villa Coco
Ranked #27 of 148 Hotels in Seminyak
Reviewed May 30, 2011

The Staff amazing each and every one of them, we had a 2 bedroom to begin with with no pool, it didn't suit us as we went with our daughter and her boyfriend we needed 2 bathrooms. So we upgraded to a 2 bed with a pool. Faultless!!!!!
We didn't want to come home...
Stay at Coco Villa and make sure you get the pool villa.
All staff are amazing best holiday we ever had.
See you next May Coco Villa.

Room Tip: 2 bedroom with pool
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank miloky

Reviewed May 2, 2011

We had a two bedroom villa with a pool and it was wonderful. The staff were great and always helped when we asked. The room was amazing. We had the in room dining one evening and the room was amazingly decorated and the steak was cooked perfectly. This was my 20+ trip to Bali and my first in seminyak and in a villa. We will never go back to a hotel. Some of the previous reviews surprise me and can only assume that expectations were unrealistic. After all it is Bali and things do sometimes go wrong, but the only issues we had were once with the toilet and another with the shower and the staff fixed them immediately. Villa coco is in a great location and the rooms are Bali style open living which is exactly what I envisaged. The bedrooms had aircon which worked well and made sleeping so easy. I wouldnt hesitate recommending villa coco and will definitely be going back.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Andwen
Reviewed April 24, 2011

We stayed at Villa Coco with extended family as the second part of our Bali Christmas holiday (having stayed at a 5+star villa on Cangu the previous week. It was our second stay, having spent a week in September in Villa Coco's 4 bedroom (tired but chaming) villa in September.

We booked two adjoining newly constructed 2 bedroom villas with plunge pools with the expectation that given that they had just been completed, they would be as good as any about. We could not have been more WRONG.

It would be fair to excuse the fact that there weren't curtain in the bedrooms for the first night (on the promise that they would be fitted), but it is not excusable that the curtains were never fitted during our week stay.

The villas were build on the cheap....walls were paper thin (we were woken early every morning by the laughing or tv of our nephews - just normal for kids, but thankfully we could walk in and ask then to turn it down). Hot water in one villa didn't work.....teething problems? Food from the kitchen was not good. Service lacked the typical Balinese smiles. The pools were really plunge pools (remember we are comparing with other Balinese villas, same price range, where you can easily do laps!!)

It was really disappointing as we have many family and friends that had stayed in Villa Coco's big villa with fond memories. With so many other alternatives, we could not recommend, despite it's great location. (Sorry to owner Claire)

Room Tip: Look elsewhere
  • Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank WheresDuke
coco1244, Manager at Villa Coco, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2011

I read with disapointment your Trip Advisor comments after so long of staying here. December til now, 4 months after.

Firstly I am not the owner here, just a hard working Manager.

We have never said we are luxury and if you have seen it anywhere in our website or any place could you please tell me and I will have it deleted. I may have missed it.

Yes you can good villas in the Canggu area and they are better, bigger with big pools for the same price but they are along way from town and our prices are very fair here compared to some villas that are similar and in this location.

The new villas are built to a middle standard for Bali. They were certainly not built to the cheap standard most hotels are.

The curtains, I was sure the staff put some temporary ones up and I am sure I saw them, I may be wrong. So sorry for this and this should have been pointed out to me at the time and I would have compensated in some way. The curtains did take a week or so because they were made wrong. But it was only one room and I am positive temporary ones were hung.

I have very rarely had bad comments about our staff and service and I cannot believe this. I just showed Komang head of housekeeping your comments about this and she just said NO. We do have one staff member that is slow and she is about 21, but has the capacity of a 12 year old. She does tend not to smile sometimes and forgets things but her sister was going to send her back to a remote village and I said I would take her on and give her a go. She has improved but still not 100% but I will keep giving her a chance in life as it would be very hard for her in the village.

Our food here is simple, safe and once again very few complaints. We have so many wonderful restaurants around us that you can go to and even some top rating ones.

I hope you are not angry because I told you to stop letting off fire crackers on New Years Eve in our brand new villa. I normally send out a letter to all villas but I thought to myself, every one here is responsible and wont do something like that, especially that we have straw roofs in the bungalows. I was shocked as they are so dangerous. Many fires, homes burnt and 4 people lost there lives over New Year this year. Fire Works are illegal here for future reference.

I am sad that this has happened but everyone we have had in the new villas have been happy and I think we have done a lovely job.

Comments like this should be written a lot sooner, normally after your stay and I wish you had of said to me that you were not happy and I would have tried my best to fix anything...but all too late now and I truly would have tried my hardest to make you happy.

Management and Staff - Villa Coco.

Reviewed April 17, 2011

-Air-conditioned area (bedroom) was very little. A lot of mosquitos. That is the main reason why you can’t spend a time downstairs.
-Very noise location because of the nightclub on the next street. The bedroom walls are so thin so you can hear everything from the outside. We booked this hotel for one week and slept there only two nights because of that reason.
-The customer service was poor. When we were checking out the staff gave us a minibar bill which wasn’t even ours. We had a little argue about this bill and they didn’t apologize us.
+The staff offered us earplugs for free.

Room Tip: Don't choose a garden villa
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank jala72
Reviewed March 10, 2011

We are experienced travellers from the UK having visited Asia on numerous occasions; this time we were travelling with a 4 month old baby. We were looking forward to staying in Seminyak as we had heard that there were nice, design conscious restaurants and shops where we could browse; and we wanted a villa as with a baby we thought we would need more space as we'd be hanging out more rather than always out and about.
First thing, Villa Coco isn't really in Seminyak proper, more like Legian - the street it is off (Double Six) has lots of the lower end tourist shops / wholesalers, not the restaurants and upmarket shops we had thought.
Also, we became aware that there is a big difference between the refurbished pool villas and the older villas without pools. All the good reviews are most likely about the pool villas which from the photos looked lovely. However, the older villas are definitely in need of refurbishment. So beware.
Pros: Provide a water cooler which is a nice touch, saves having to lug lots of bottles in; staff are friendly; they have a 'welcome book' which has useful information; food is not bad; nice cocktails
Cons: Noisy at night - we could hear music from a nightclub til 6am each night - in the distance, but enough to be annoying; plumbing is ancient - toilet wouldn't flush properly and shower was weak; harsh white fluorescent lighting made the villa unpleasant to be in after dark; lots of mosquitos and not enough done to keep them under control - there was a drain with stagnant water in the garden; pool overlooked by six-storey high flats or budget hotel; breakfast was underwhelming

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
coco1244, Manager at Villa Coco, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2011

Our location is Seminyak and always had been. A majority of the reviews written are about our Balinese style bungalows. Our brand new pool villas are not renovated, they have been built recently and these are a much higher price range than the open style garden bungalows. These bungalows suit some people and not others but most people like to experience these as they are all being replaced in Bali by a concrete jungle and very modern villas that you can get anywhere.
Night club has now closed down...thank goodness.
The Hotel next door was out of our control when it was being built and it is only 4 story not 6. This has not been a problem to us at all and you very rarely see anyone as it is the back-side of the property.
We work hard to keep the mossies controlled but February is probably the worst time to visit a tropical climate. We supply mosquito repellant and not many other hotels do this plus we spray each night and put down coils, we also fumigate twice weekly.
Our location is so popular with most people as we are close to everything and people cannot believe that it is so quiet and just minutes away is traffic and motorbikes. I would never say people would get 'claustrophobic' here, people always comment on how big the villas are and the grounds. And as for being Urban well that is what most tourists want, they don't want to travel for miles to go shopping. Maybe next holiday Ubud Country or Nusa Dua would be a better option. We go out of our way to make guests comfortable and if only they would say something when they are here and then we could try and fix the problem.

Reviewed December 14, 2010

This is my second stay at this friendly Australian managed accommodation, it gets better each time I arrive.

looking forward to my return June 2011.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank pugPerthWa
Reviewed December 12, 2010

just got back from our stay in villa coco and it was increadible we stayed in an open air garden villa which was beautiful spacious and had everything we could have wanted. breakfast is delivered to your room every morning the staff are very friendly, beds are comfy, food is ok. BEST MASSAGE I HAD IN BALI and i had 10

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple