“Spoiled by Kubu”

Ranked #8 of 143 Hotels in Seminyak
Sydney, Australia
“Spoiled by Kubu”
Reviewed August 8, 2012

I don't often write reviews as they're so subjective but I've just come back from my third stay at Villa Kubu and experienced three different villas in one week so thought I could probably contribute. Been going to Bali and other places in Indonesia for about 12 years now, starting when we lived in the UK, then when we lived in Singapore and it was a short hop, and we're now living in Australia, so very different experiences and starting points. Apologies, it's going to be long...

The first time we stayed at Kubu was as a couple, for a fortnight - Villa 10 recommended by a good friend with taste (and then I found it in the Luxe Guide) and we couldn't fault it. Think that was 2006 or 7? We got out and about, exploring Seminyak and other parts of Bali we hadn't done before. Kubu is just far enough from but close enough to the main strip. We loved the personal breakfast chef, we felt guilty at the effort put into an in-villa barbeque just for two (which was fabulous and for my birthday - Housekeeping brought me a cake) and were really impressed with the villas and especially the staff.

Two years ago we needed to check out of reality for a while and de-stress and detox. We figured Bali was a good place, close-by, we'd been a few times so wouldn't feel guilty not getting out much, and Kubu could arrange a 7 day in-villa program for us. We booked Villa 10 again, and it felt like home (I wish!). Have to say Kubu personnel were fantastic, delivering all the necessary equipment and food several times a day, the Spa Manager checking up on us regularly, we survived the detox ("enjoy" would be too strong a word but it really wasn't bad!) and felt great, and even with the flights it was a really cost-effective way to do it compared to Oz. Again this was over my birthday so I celebrated with extra coconut juice (so wild!) and as we couldn’t eat cake the wonderful Head of Housekeeping brought me flowers which, although tempted, I didn't eat.

This trip I'm just back from, I went alone for a week. Husband too busy and travelling for work, and I just needed to relax and warm my bones somewhere I felt safe on my own and didn’t feel obliged to go temple hopping. I decided on the Thursday, booked on the Friday, and on the Monday I was there! Due to the late booking I stayed 3 nights in Villa 8, which was a great way to check out something other than the familiar. I'm not sure why they market it as a one-bedder with optional 2nd bedroom, as it has 2 almost identical bedrooms with full bathrooms (as well as a shower room behind the bale) and wow, it's gorgeous. Loved the masses of outdoor seating and the airy kitchen-diner between the bedrooms that would give 2 couples total privacy. Or great for a family with 2 kids that could share.

After 3 nights in #8 I moved back to my old favourite Villa 10, and I have to say I do still love it. I love the clean lines of the pool, and the bale, and the open plan living/bedroom is so airy you don’t need aircon (which I hate). The semi-outdoor bathroom with the spa bath overlooking the pond is special. It's perfect for a couple (or a single). I will say, and I fed this back to the management, that Villa 10 is ready for some maintenance. Having lived on the equator I know how destructive the weather can be and there was nothing major - e.g., the patio door was sticking and I couldn't seem to lock it (although felt totally safe, even alone, and the gate to the villa does lock) but it is ready for some TLC. On my return the return home there was an email from me thanking me for the feedback and assuring me Villa 10 is about to be renovated.

As usual my flight home was a late one, so as usual I tried to book the villa for the day but it was needed. Instead I moved to Villa 15, the cosy 1-2 person one next to reception. I'd actually thought of booking it and decided not to risk it so again, a good chance to check it out. Honestly? It's very cute, perfect for a single that, like me, just dips in the pool to cool down now and then, and it would be fine for a couple but Villa 10 has spoiled me :) My fears it was too close to the road and public areas were unfounded, as it was still very quiet. I wouldn't discount it in future, even if I did keep smacking my head on the blinds on the verandah (duh), but I did notice it has a 2-storey villa next door so might cut out the skinny-dipping ;)

So that's the villas themselves, now to the rest of Villa Kubu. As usual, lovely spa treatments, great spa staff, laughed politely at my clumsy Bahasa. (By the way I read in one review that staff don’t speak English – in my experience most of them speak it very well indeed.) The recent-ish addition of the Kubu Cafe was fantastic for me, especially being alone. I ate in-villa from there as well as eating at the cafe itself. Again, can't fault the food or the staff. Very efficient and very friendly, making a special effort when I was alone. (One young waitress had been there all of a week and I asked her if she liked working at Kubu - she said yes, and the boss is very nice. Maybe that's the secret to a great place - happy staff, treated well.) Airport transfers - hassle free as ever. I had a friend drop in for a couple of nights and they picked her up for me too. The VIP visa/immigration service is well worth the extra cost, and the folks at reception were superstars, organising things for me, moving me, and indulging me when I insisted on cuddling Sayang the puppy.

Will I/we go again? Oh hell yes. It goes against all my "so much world to see, shouldn't go back anywhere" principles but Villa Kubu has spoiled me and, to be honest, there are times when you just need to be welcomed back to a place.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
5 Thank Beejaypee
villakubuseminyak, Front Office Manager at Villa Kubu Seminyak, responded to this review, August 14, 2012
Dear Beverley

Thank you for taking the time to review our humble abode, we love your sense of humor :-)

Its good to see that you enjoyed all aspects of Villa Kubu and even tried our detox program, they aren't easy but the benefits are great!

We will look into the patio door and make sure that it works perfectly for the next time you come and visit us.

It was a pleasure hosting you on each of your stays and it will be a pleasure to have you stay with us again :)

We wish you and your husband all the best

Incase you haven't forgotten your bahasa:

Sampai jumpa lagi!

The Kubu team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
lyndhurst
Reviewed August 2, 2012

We were married in Darwin and flew out to Bali Where we were met at the airport and skiped through customs using Villa Kubu fast trac imigration service As we had never been to Bali before we would recommend this sevice as the airport is huge and finding our way around would have been a nightmare We were driven to the Villa about half an hours drive away.On our arrival we were greated by Hotel staff and escorted to the Villa.wich was everything we had hoped for we stayed in villa 11 for the outside spa But im sure the rest would be just as lovley as ours.The staff were brilliant and my wife enjoyed the cooked in your villa breakfasts although for an Aussie male prob not big enough.As far as meals go they were well priced compared to other restaurants in Bali others aim to attack your wallet at european prices the villa was well below and we found eating in more cost effective than going out.We also took advantage of the BBQ and dancers in our Villa for about $160 we had an Aussie BBQ for 4 cooked by the Chef 5 musitions and 5 dancers fantastic.and the blokes will love the imported meat lol .The privacy in the villas was realy good Ideal for hunnymooning HeHe .The pool was realy nice although still a little cold for us About 5mins walk is Bintang markets wich has a variety of shops and stalls as well as a Commonweath ATM Check out the the canvas printing shop we had our wedding pics put on canvas 33 prints $100 here would have been a couple of thousand to do the same If Villa kubu had a fault it would be its distance from attractions although traveling in Bali is an adventure itself enjoy your stay as we did well done.

Dave and Deborah

3 Thank David156
villakubuseminyak, Front Office Manager at Villa Kubu Seminyak, responded to this review, August 6, 2012
Dear D&D

First of all i would like to say congratulations on your wedding, we at Villa Kubu wish you the very best!

As an avid user of the fast track service, i must admit that it does come in handy in high season where you have to literally push through the crowds of visitors.

Thank you for your kind words, we put a lot of effort in the beautiful Villa 11 and we are glad you enjoyed it.

We will look into perhaps making a special "Aussie" breakfast with bigger portions :-)

Attractions can be found in the vicinity of Kubu in the form of Seminyak street, Ku De Ta, 66 Beach, Oberoi (Eat Street) and various others while we are more than happy to arrange tours to the various parts of the island with our professional drivers.

Once again thank you and congratulations!

Cherng Thalay
Reviewed August 2, 2012

We booked for 3 nights and stayed for 5...Really felt at home...great space/layout/configuration for the villa and the staff/service was spot on...very polite, quite and efficient...excellent location, most of the best restaurants/ beach clubs are within a 5 min taxi ride (we hit them all on rotation over the 5 days ;)...+all the sopping for everything in Seminyak...We highly recommend Villa Kubu and we look forward to returning next year...if not before :)

Dear Tom

We are glad you enjoyed Kubu which we like to call your "home away from home"

From what i can tell you made the best of your Seminyak surroundings :-)

We look forward to hosting you again!

Bali, Indonesia
Reviewed July 30, 2012

Stayed at their new sister villa, Lata Liana, just off double six & gado gado. A gorgeous place to be, great service, friendly and efficient staff. Real central location but villa located in a quiet and secluded spot but jus a 5mins walk to the beach.. Love it..would go back there anytime...

• Stayed December 2011
villakubuseminyak, Front Office Manager at Villa Kubu Seminyak, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
Dear LL

We are very happy you enjoyed your stay at Lata Liana and look forward to hosting you again!

The Lataliana team
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed July 29, 2012

My husband and I have just returned from our second stay in Villa 4 and were lucky enough this year to stay for 16 nights. I can only say that all the staff are just amazing especially Made Wira. They are all very friendly, nothing is too much trouble for them, they are so professional and proud to work at Villa Kubu. They also loved to interact and practice their English with us. Villa 4 doesn't disappoint you when you arrive, the pool area is great, the outdoor lounge was a great way to pass some time away when you were not sitting by the pool. We just love the total privacy this Villa provides us with. We love the outdoor shower however I do feel the other part of the bathroom is just a little tired and could do with a little revamp. It was great to have the option this year of having breakfast cooked in your Villa or sitting at Cafe Kubu in the morning. I think the breakfast menu needs to be updated a little or guests given the option of not having breakfast included in the Villa price.
The location of the Villa is perfect. You are only a short stroll to the main street where you can find amazing shops, restaurants and bars, but when you have enough of all the hussle and bussle you go back to the Villa and it is total serenity. We would hihghly recommend these Villa's to anybody and hope to return for our third visit next year.

You are so close to the main street where you can go shopping, eating at great restaurants or just sitting at a bar to watch the people and traffic then go back to the Villa and escape from all the hussle and bussle.

Dear Leslie

On behalf of Made Wira and all our staff we would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review.

Everyone is very happy that you enjoyed your stay in Villa Kubu and that it lived up to your expectations, as friendly service, privacy and relaxation is what we strive to give all our valued guests.

We are constantly updating our villas due to the tropical conditions. Villa 4 bathroom was only completely refurbished 11 months ago. We will look at it as soon as we can get in to the villa (It's incredibly popular) and touch it up where necessary.

Regarding optional breakfasts we are discussing internally, we have just updated our menus to include new a la carte dishes on the breakfast menu so when you come again next time please give them a try :-)

We look forward to having you stay with us again!

Best Regards

Perth, Australia
Reviewed July 25, 2012

Just came back from a beautiful 5 days at Villa Kubu. We had Villa Number 3 - three bedroom. The Villa was amazing - this is our second time at Villa Kubu, previously we had a two bedroom villa. Everything was perfect from the pick up at the Airport to any queries, and or questions that we had. Service and staff are excellent. We took advantage of happy hour cocktails, and ended up staying for dinner at the Cafe. The food was amazing. Spa Venus was also great, we had back massages, foot massages and I had a pedicure. All great experience. Thank you to all of you at Villa Kubu, and we all look forward to seeing you on our next trip to Bali.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank janine1310
villakubuseminyak, Front Office Manager at Villa Kubu Seminyak, responded to this review, July 25, 2012
Dear Jan

Welcome back to Villa Kubu!

We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that we catered to the needs of your liver, belly, feet and back in true Kubu fashion, fantastic!

We look forward to hosting you on your next trip to Bali

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed July 19, 2012

My family & I are on our way home to Europe after spending one of the greatest holidays ever, in Villa Kubu, Bali. This is my 1st review on trip advisor. I was never compiled to write one before but after experiencing a family holiday of a lifetime my wife & I decided we wanted to tell everyone about it so we signed up and here we go...

Our villas, 3, 7 and 12 were beyond our imagination. We are a large family of 12 coming together for a 6 day anniversary. Three generations all in the same complex but within our own private villas. Each villa had their own pool, gardens, beautiful bedrooms (with these amazing inside - outside) bathrooms, living rooms and kitchens. You know how it is with families, you all want to be together 24/7 yet you all need space ! We were able to get that in our villas. The staff are super cool, friendly and can't do enough for us. From babysitters, the kids bikes !! pool toys, games, car shuttle, laundry and just 7 star concierge service that we have only ever experienced before in Dubai ! As for the food, well we planned to cook ourselves but when we discovered the new Bistro / Cafe Kubu situated in the complex well we didn't bother cooking after that. Rita and her staff cooked the most sumptuous meals for us from the menu and dishes we requested ourselves. Thank you Rita, Nengah and Erna for all the beautiful food and wine. (By the way the wine was cheaper than at the local supermarket, I know as we checked !)

We were contacted by Regina the guest services manager about a week before we arrived to ask us what she and her team could do for us when we came to Bali. She explained all about the services at Kubu and by email we made several requests not actually believing they would be arranged by the time we arrived. Regina literally arranged everything for us and all the things we asked for were ready on our arrival. We have never got that service before from anywhere ! Thanks Regina, Tari and Made for all you did for us.

We have to mention the spa too. When we arrived all us adults were were given free massages. It got us back to the spa, Venus, time after time.

In fact there was so much to do at our villas we rarely went out at all. The best moment for us all was the tour though that Tari arranged for us around the sights in Bali. The driver was fantastic and we will never forget everything we saw. Thanks Nyoman..

We are planning our return to Bali next year and hopefully we will all be able to stay again at Kubu. It is really our new home from home. Next time we will stay longer for sure.

Luke & Margie

Room Tip: Villa 3 for families, 7 for privacy and 12 for teenagers