“Charming villas in central Seminyak”

Villa Kubu Seminyak
Ranked #8 of 148 Hotels in Seminyak
Reviewed March 23, 2011

Loved my stay in Villa Kubu. The villa was charming, filled with unique local Balinese furniture - the iPod with local music was a lovely touch. The pool was big and very private in a lush garden surrounded by high walls. Real plus was the villa is just a few minutes from the restaurants and beaches in Seminyak but was still amazingly quiet given its central location. If you did not want to go out room service is excellent. Only gripe really was the internet was slow but I understand that was a temporary issue affecting the area.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends
4  Thank SandiSand
villakubuseminyak, Manager at Villa Kubu Seminyak, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2016

Hello SandiSand from Villa Kubu,

Many thanks for your kind review and please accept our sincere apologies for taking so very long to reply!

We are delighted to know that you had an enjoyable stay with us especially with our great location in the heart of Seminyak.

Since your stay we have fully refreshed and redecorated every villa including an improvement to our hi-speed Wi-Fi internet at Kubu, so we hope you might be able to make it back to see the improvements for yourself - our many returning guests have all been delighted with the results.

Warm regards and hope to see you in paradise again one day,

Reviewed March 17, 2011

I found the whole experience very relaxing not tipically tropical very good quality in everything that was there and the service was great

Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank daisyalice15

Greetings daisyalice15 from Villa Kubu,

Thank you very much for your kind review and apologies for the very long delay in replying!

We are thrilled you enjoyed your stay enough to give us a 5* rating and hope that you can make it back to visit us again - since your stay every villa has been fully refurbished and our many returning guests have been delighted with the results.

Reviewed March 17, 2011

Although not the cheapest holiday we have ever had, it was certainly worth every penny! I wanted to experience the ‘real’ Bali and not life in an enormous, glitzy villa stuck in the idle of nowhere. Villa Kubu ticked every box for us; great location, (nestled quietly in the cul-de-sac of gang Plawa) and with just 15 villas a real sense of cosy intimacy – although you could also have total privacy. Each villa is unique with the newer ones being built in a more modern version of the original older houses. Each villa is set in the most wonderful tropical gardens – abundant with flowers – and a private pool.

We started in Villa Zero which, although fabulous with wonderful local furnishings, didn’t real ‘do it’ for me once I| discovered there were some older, more traditional villas to be had . That said I was sad to leave the lumbung and bath tub on the 1st floor Balcony, which was not something I had seen before! Nothing was a problem, when I mentioned I preferred the older style houses the staff, bedecked with huge smiles, simply & efficiently moved us to Villa 1; I was in heaven!

Room service was incredible …. When you dialled 0 to order your breakfast what actually arrived was staff bearing baskets laden with food which they then prepared in your villa! Fancy a barbecue? Simply dial 0 and order one cooked in your garden, by your pool at a time to suit you; bliss!

Cocktail list was extensive and averagely priced – they could even be called ‘generous’ in their portions! I told myself it was fine to consume large quantities of cocktails in happy hour if I stuck to the ‘healthy’ ones such as cucumber and lavender martinis.

Our garden was so beautiful at night; all lit up, the sound of crickets and scent of tropical flowers – we spent many an evening just wallowing around our pool, under the moon and stars.

The complex has been designed to give everyone total privacy and a real feeling of comfort and security with a red, yellow and green flag system outside each villa’s entrance. There is absolutely no way the staff will come near you if you are flying your red flag!

As for the staff ……….. well, I wish I could have brought them all home with me. Their smiling efficiency was a joy and something that we could learn a lot from in this so called ‘developed’ world.

Villa Kubu .. I will be back!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends
7  Thank MemeMoodle

Greetings MemeMoodle from Villa Kubu,

Reviewed March 16, 2011

What I like best about Villa Kubu is walking to the spa barefoot (its important after a pedi)….anywhere in the compound, one can walk without shoes. I’m a hippy at heart and its encouraged here. Once you are inside their gates, there is no pressure to do anything but exactly what you want to do. And there is always someone around to do it for you. The staff seem so happy to please us, its refreshing! For a lovely, stress free romantic holiday, I think Villa Kubu is up there with the best. It's understated and humble and the staff are like family, helpful,nothing is too much for them. Always a smile on their faces. Its like a home away from home with all the trimmings.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank KarinK7

Greetings KarinK7 from Villa Kubu,

Reviewed February 14, 2011

Villa Kubu provides a great atmosphere to just sit back and have a real vacation. Just finishing up a 2 week stay this boutique hotel and can't come up with any negatives.

A friend had given it the thumbs up and my girlfriend and i had originally booked a one bedroom villa but owing to the fact they had space they upgraded us to villa 999 which is a two bedroom. This is the way life should work!

Having lived in Tokyo for a long time, i place a large premium on space. This villa had that in spades. The living room was bigger than my one at home (and the topical garden it looks out on is quite different from my norm! :-)

I've been to Bali many times and with driving times increasing owing to traffic (when are people going to wake up and do something about that) - having a Seminyak location which is quiet, yet gives you easy access to the centre of town and

some of my favourite restaurants in the area (both located on Jl Legian and easy walking distantce- Sip and Pantarei

Unabashedly recommend this to anyone looking for top end service, lots of space and great location.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank Tokyolad1969

Greetings Tokyolad1969 from Villa Kubu,

Reviewed January 26, 2011

Villa Kubu is located in the Center of Seminyak.About 30 min drive from Denpasar Airport.The locality is a villa destination with various other villas around kubu villas.Jalan Raya Seminyak (the main road connecting seminyak,legian and kuta) is 1 min drive from Kubu.The Villas are huge and nicely done with modern amenities.Overall the villas are large and exotic.

However we felt that the there was a gross mismatch between the amount paid and value derived.On reaching there and exploring the locality, we felt that we paid heavily.Also the general attitude of the staff there was to charge for every possible thing.

Good:
The pool is nice and of sufficient size and the area surrounding the pool is large enough to unwind
The kitchen in the villa has a fridge,stove,microwave and utensils and is good enough to cook on your own
the bathroom is big enough with a small but nice jacuzzi and a big and beautiful fish pond and water fountain.
DVD player and TV with international channels
A large living room
Music system with Ipod
A good but expensive spa

Bad:
They charge for renting DVD's.For the same amount one can buy new DVD's from the market
The complimentary breakfast was not upto the satisfation.The menu is not elaborate enough.We had much better breakfast at other much less expensive places in bali
lack of centralized restaurant
expensive spa
3% charge on payment by card (When you are already paying a huge amount, you dont expect them to charge extra on card payment.It was not at all justified)

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Manan10282
villakubuseminyak, Front Office Manager at Villa Kubu Seminyak, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2011

We are always saddened to see negative reviews and felt this should be addressed for the benefits of others reading it. Our kitchens, while extensive do not have microwaves as we thought an oven and gas hob sufficient. I also need to stress that we do not rent DVD's, we offer them free to our guests, as they are so cheap (a dollar or less) to buy all over Bali; I hope you are not confusing us with others.

Bali is spa heaven, and there are spa's everywhere you look with a range of services and different pricing. We strive to offer a unique experience and heartened to see that you labeled the spa ‘good’ and we think our many repeat clients are a testament to the value we offer.

We thank you for highlighting the breakfast - post your comments we have reviewed our breakfasts to enhance the experience both in quality and in choice - the delivery has remained the same, that of being either able to order it delivered or to have a team member cook at your villa for you. We’ve also decided to make the complimentary breakfast (that we include in the room rate) available at any time of the day.

I am not sure where you are based, however for credit card charges in Bali in specific, and Asia in general, adding a surcharge to a card is the norm. We always offer guest multiple ways of settling their bills and the methodology is at the discretion of the client.

You mentioned we don’t having an onsite restaurant. Seminyak is known for its many and varied eating establishments, we offer top quality food through room service (which you can eat in the place of your choice(adjacent to the swimming pool, in the dinning room, or even in bed) and as such don’t feel the lack of one.

We appreciate all your comments, and will strive to continue to offer as many special dimensions in the best way possible to our clients and if we didn’t impress you with your past stay I would ask you to email us directly so we can ensure your next one you come out with nothing but complements.

warm regards,

~ The Kubu Team

Reviewed September 8, 2010

I visited Villa kubu as a second part of my trip to bali. There was no availability there for the first 3 days of my stay so I was pleasantly welcomed there for 5 days. THe reception is only an office at the entrance which is 24/7 protected by private security. The reception staff is so helpful and ready to assist you with your every need. We were taken to our villa (one bedroom, private pool) which was such a wonderful place. THe whole place consists of private villas so there are no common areas except for the spa which looked very tidy. I didn't use it because I wanted to try the spas around the area. It's a 10 minute walk from the main street with all the shops and restaurants. We rented a bike and rode everywhere we wished. For the night I suggest taking a taxi which is very cheap.
Back to the room now. It's attended to the finest detail, and very spacious for 2 people. There is a separate living room, a kitchen and bedroom, a very large closet and outside shower, bath and a small fish pond. The room was meticulously cleaned everyday and the turn down service made sure mosquitos would stay away (difficult though in Bali). I love the pool and the privacy this lodging offers. Every morning a chef would come to the room and prepare breakfast at the exact time you had requested the night before. THe breakfast was not that impressive but was fresh and tasty. I expected a larger variety but it's a minor thing among the overall impression I got. You get the feeling you're staying at your own place with discreet people serving your needs. During check-out the staff assisted us with airport transfer and also made sure our bike would be returned to the rental shop. All in all, it's a beautiful place with really polite and helpful staff. I'll go back for sure.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple