“Magnificent”
Review of The Dusun

The Dusun
Ranked #11 of 149 Hotels in Seminyak
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Family of 5 holiday booking. Kids aged 14 to 7.
We stayed in villa 7. The best one as it was the most recently returned.
Amazing resort. So relaxing. The only thing people need to be aware of is the separate villa in the garden. Our 2 boys stayed there with no worries at all but it is detached ie each sleeping area is separate.
We had the BBQ in room experience which we loved and was very traditional.
Coffe and grind is about a 5 to 10 minute walk and makes the best pizza and coffee. The hotel staff will run up for you but we always walked
The location is about 1 min from body works massages a massive day spa. Very good and very cheap. It's a further minute to the beach but don't let kids swim here its got rips everywhere. Stay in the hotel pool.
Restaurants. La luciola is about 3 minutes away and is absolute beachfront. Amazing. Ku da ta was great and potato head is an amazing venue but food was pretty average and expensive.
The dusan was amazing. We'd be back anytime - magnif

Room Tip: Get to know the staff. They will bend over backwards to assist. Wayan especially.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Justin M

Reviewed October 12, 2013

The Dusun is obviously highly regarded and recent reviews have been very positive which is what helped us decide to book a one bedroom villa and pay the higher price in comparison to some other options. Also not knowing the area means that there is a much stronger reliance on other people's reviews and comments.

Having stayed there a week and now with a better understanding of the geography of Seminyak and other accommodation offerings, I think I'd still choose The Dusun. I liked the location which was a good access point for the placed that I'd want to go such the centre of Seminyak (10 min walk), the beach (5 minute walk), Bodyworks (across the road) and the bars and restaurants near Potato Head.

Arguably there are other accommodation options nearby that are more budget friendly - B Villa + Seaside and the Sense Hotel being options. However I would prefer a better pool area than what is on offer at the Sense Hotel and the reviews of B Villa are mixed so it's a question of taking a risk for a lower price. The reviews of Dusun are so much more reassuring and having a good pool area (shared or private) is important to us.

The staff at The Dusun were always helpful assisting with restaurant reservations. Room service from neighbouring restaurants was good - just be aware The Dusun will add a small premium to the actual restaurant prices but it's not unreasonable. Same applies if you book a driver through them or change money. They don't charge crazy margins so it's like paying a little more for the convenience which is some cases is worth it.

Breakfast was reasonable. Preferable to hotel buffet breakfasts but not a huge choice. It's The bacon is a little strange but I think that's a Bali thing rather than a Dusun thing. Fresh juice was good as were the different fruit plates offered. It's a good start to the day but it's not massive so unlike the buffet breakfasts that mean lunch can be skipped. I liked it though as it meant by the time lunchtime came, we would be ready to head on out.

It was convenient to be able to request what time the room should be serviced as it meant it could be done when we were out and it was ready for us upon our return. Same with turn down although there were a couple of times we were there when it happened which was fine. I liked that the pool was checked regularly and it was well kept.

I loved the space we had. Our package included a dinner and a lunch - not exactly gourmet food but acceptable enough. And the candle decorations for the dinner were beautiful. Being able to dine amidst floating candles in bathrobes was such a relaxing experience that even though the food wasn't the most amazing, it was still a lovely night. Having said that though, when I first saw the outside sofa areas I imagined sitting there in the evenings and enjoying the balmy temperatures beneath the ceiling fan but sadly too many mozzies to do so. The Dusun try and help with this but the mozzie coils and spraying don't have as powerful an impact in the open air.

Also liked being able to plug in our own iPod for some music.

Laundry service was good as were the drivers. The airport pick up and drop off were really welcome because it's just so much more convenient. I know that getting a taxi or arranging a driver isn't hard. In fact Tripadvisor makes it really easy what what with recommendations and advice but it really is easier to know that one booking includes it and that it's done. Really felt that could ask the front desk to help with anything and they would.

I haven't rated The Dusun as excellent. The reasons behind these are very very minor and may not matter to some people but I think it's the small touches that differentiate very good and excellent. The reasons are:

- More towels need to be provided, both bath and pool without having to call housekeeping every day. There is one bath towel per person but I'd also like hand towels for the hair and also for drying hands.
- Wider choice of breakfast options so not just bacon and eggs (although different style eggs were offered) for the American choice. Perhaps other sides like mushrooms, spinach etc
- Diet drinks like diet coke offered in the free mini bar service.
- I'd have loved to have been able to order a cocktail when lounging by the pool. I'd have paid decent prices to have been able to have had someone bring me a fruity, iced drink with an umbrella or a cold, creamy, boozy one instead of having to get up and walk to a cafe or bar.
- Better non slip bath mats in the bathroom. There isn't a shower curtain or screen and the floor gets really slippy and given the size of the bathroom the one small bath mat (towel one) isn't enough. Perhaps a bigger one and another one to lay down near the sinks.
- I know late check out isn't always available and really is a perk and luck of the draw and I know it's unreasonable for a hotel to offer one for no financial reward (I was prepared to pay) but it would be really nice to have some option for travellers with late flights. I would have thought they would have been used to travellers leaving on late flights that they may have thought of something such as offering a shower room or somewhere to get changed / freshen up before leaving for the airport. Actually I'd have been thankful even for a recommendation of something / somewhere to go on the last day after checking out but we had to make up our own plan which incidentally involved a massage and shower at Bodyworks which was a godsend.

Like I say, no one minor is a big thing but if some of the above was addressed I'd rate The Dusun as full marks.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Fondofgoodtravel
Reviewed October 12, 2013

Out of all the great options we found in Bali for hotels, I really believe that staying at Dusun Villas Bali was the best choice we could have made. We travelled as a couple, and the fact that the settings here were highly romantic really made a difference. The decorations on the room, especially the bed were a really nice touch, and the lights surrounding the pool at night just looked beautiful. The service also made our stay very comfortable because everybody that works here is very nice, and they always greet you with a smile. Overall I have no complaints about this amazing hotel, and it`s the perfect spot for a relaxing and romantic vacation.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 8, 2013

We had Villa 6, which has a 2 large kingsize bedrooms each with Ensuite and a seperate villa also with large king size bedroom and ensuite. Perfect for older family members. Everybody could chill out at their own pace and time. A fabulous semi circular large pool is the centre piece of the well manicured garden. The whole environment was just heavenly and all to ourselves. We could wake what time we liked, no intrusive noise from hotel occupants, The staff were very accommodating making us breakfast when we wanted. You can change your currency at the front desk and the rates are close enough to the street exchange shop prices. Newspapers to the door if you can muster the enthusiasm to care about what is going on in the world ourside you own private paradise. Multi channel flatscreen televisions in each suite showing and abundance of English language,(Australian even) German, italian and Bahasa stations. Plenty of movies for the TV addicted. The staff - they are so helpful, even the security at the gate were a friendly sight each morning or evening. We organized a few excursions and paid for a car and driver to go to Uluwatu Temple to watch the sunset. BEWARE the thieving monkeys, they stole the glasses off my face. YES and they are super quick, beyond my reaction time. Its not a laughing matter when you need them to see! All up a fabulous Hotel, well located to the wonderful Petitenget Restaurant, and restaurant at the Samaya. I will stay there again, I wish I was there now.!

Room Tip: Villa 6 was ideal and a only short walk to the reception
Reviewed October 7, 2013

We really enjoyed our stay in Dusun Hotel. First of all, our villa (number 3) was wonderful, it has 3 nice bedrooms with a huge bathroom each one. We were seven people.
Outdoor, the common zone, there was a beautiful swimming pool, and a big table in which we enjoyed our breakfast. We also had a marvellous  kitchen . We recommend it totally. Very well placed, closely of the beach and the most commercial streets. The service of transfer of the hotel was very effective.The attention was magnificent. Really it was a home for our family and let us enjoy Seminyak.
Thanks a lot from Spain.

Room Tip: Our suite was the number 3 and was perfect for seven or six people.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 1, 2013

We came here with another family and occupied a three bedroom villa. The pool was great, the villas were comfortable and easy to get around in Seminyak.
Staff are generally very helpful and friendly towards everyone.
The breakfast was brilliant and cooked to our liking every morning with a great menu of American, continental as well as Indonesian styles to choose from.
The afternoon tea however, was a bit disappointing. We expected more variety than what was served - which is simply tea or coffee and three cookies each.
The other issue we had was it took a while for the staff to clear the table after the meals. It occupied the main table in the pool area stopping us using it for other purposes.
Otherwise it was one of the best places I'll stayed in. I'll recommended it to everyone who is interested in coming to Bali.

Reviewed September 23, 2013

We have just spent a week at Dusun Villas Seminyak - it was over far too soon and we can't wait to go back!

Each and every staff member was always friendly and helpful and made us feel at home and a part of the Dusun family.

There was nothing that could not be done and no request that went unanswered.

The villas are absolutely beautiful with great facilities - the perfect place to entertain when you want to and relax when you need to. Close the gates and you're in your own private paradise - walk out the driveway and your in the middle of Seminyak with only a short walk to all the best Cafes and Restaurants.

Absolutely love this place. Will definitely be coming back!!!!!!

THANKYOU DUSUN :) :) :)

Room Tip: All of the Villas are great. Lower numbers are closer to the entry so easier access to go out and ab...