“Excellent hotel with minor flaws and major flaws out of their control”

The Samaya Bali Seminyak
Ranked #6 of 148 Hotels in Seminyak
Reviewed February 21, 2014

We stayed at the The Samaya 4 days and 5 nights. The place is exceptional. The grounds and the pool are well kept ( the pool is large you can do 39 meter laps, not bad). The villas are wonderful. They all have their own pool a large bedroom and a large luxurious bathroom.

The staff was great, always asking if they could do something for us. The spa was also very good. We made two different appointments one for the Balinese massage and one for the Thai massage. It was very nice and not expensive when compared to US prices. The breakfast which was included was good, lots of variety, the staff was attentive, prompt and extremely polite. I would have to say that the afternoon tea was also tasty! Overall the experience was excellent and I do think that you get a lot more for paying a premium to stay at the Samaya.

I wold suggest that the managers think about having some sports equipment at the hotel. Maybe a boogie board, a few surfboards, maybe some kayaks. I realize that many people at the Samaya may not be the active type but I would have loved these options. Instead the only option I had was to rent them from the beach vendors you can find on the beach. This does not go well with the upscale image that the Samaya projects.

We wanted to schedule a diving trip and we did not receive much support. We only received two pamphlets and were sent on our way. I think I would have liked our butler to have taken the time to explain the different options, different diving companies, overall a little more information on this.

Finally, I had a completely different expectation of Bali, three of my friends had mentioned it to be a magical place, relaxing and beautiful. I think that Bali does have all of these elements but difficult to experience at times because it has been overtaken by development. The traffic in Seminyak is terrible, the thousands of stores and even the large number of people during low season can make it a difficult to experience the elements my friends talked about. We took a day trip to Ubud and it was a similar experience.

Overall I think The Samaya is wonderful, I would strongly recommend it and I think its worth its price. Bali on the other hand was a good experience but not the relaxing place I imagined.

Room Tip: Choose the villas on the bech side. The other villas are far from the pool and the restaurant.
3  Thank Jeos71
Write a ReviewReviews (1,835)

Reviewed February 21, 2014

We were here to celebrate our 5yr wedding anniversary and we were pleasantly surprised. We were treated like royalty through out our stay. We were greeted with drinks and beautiful flowers. Our villa was perfect with our own pool. The spa was fantastic as well as the restaurant. They made our anniversary dinner memorable. This was the best vacation my husband and I took. Thank you Mulia! You made our stay so enjoyable. The general manager was very hands on and made sure everyone and everything was fantastic. Stay here, it's well worth it!!!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Shivanier
Reviewed February 18, 2014

From the moment of our arrival to the second of our departure, we were pampered by the wonderful staff headed by the very able Karmaya. I wish I could list the other key members of his team but there were so many who stand out. The villas are spacious and well appointed and the resort is perfectly placed for all the top restaurants in the area - that should include the fabulous Breeze at Samaya. A wonderful, relaxing experience which we will repeat soon.

1  Thank David P
Reviewed February 17, 2014

Been working in Java and Sumatra for a while so I talked my wife into meeting me in Bali.

We chose the Samaya because of the spa that we had visited before and its spacious villas.

We got so relaxed here, that it was quite an effort to leave the property at all.

We managed to go off-site for dinner most nights but usually after a sunset cocktail or 3 beachfront at Breeze bar and restaurant on site at Samaya.

Spa service is still the best in Bali.

Easy walk to Potato Head or Ku De Ta for a change of venue for Sunset cocktails.

Breakfast menu is extensive and coffee great.

Huge villas and having their own pool makes them very enticing.

Glad we stayed here in our own "little paradise" right in the middle of good bars, shopping and restaurants.

The free shuttle made access around Seminyak/Legian really simple and super comfortable. The staff nearly boarded our flight on arrival and then whisked us through immigration so quickly we were breathless!!!

Room Tip: Try to get Villas on the Ocean side of the resort.
3  Thank AGRIG8
Reviewed February 15, 2014

stay there for one day only, excellent service.
swimming pool and bath is our favour , even need calling staff to teach us how to use bath . good private. sleep very well.
need walking 2 minutes to the beach.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank shakira_yan
Reviewed February 10, 2014

I have waited a while since our Bali trip to commence reviewing for two reasons. Firstly there has been much written about the recent food poisoning deaths in Bali and secondly our own experience with food poisoning made a serious impact on us both.

Lets face it the Samaya needs to be good, they charge a premium tariff and you expect first class. Please do yourself a favour and stay in the main resort pool villas and not the Courtyard villas someway down the street. During visits to reception we heard staff doing "upgrades" to the Courtyard - trust me its not the best option when you are paying this money. All the services are at the main resort area.

OK lets get this out of the way. We both got food poisoning on the second day, serious enough to call emergency doctor service. It wasnt a pretty picture. That day we had afternoon tea at the Samaya and dinner at La Lucciola , only drank bottled water at all times. This knocked us out of action for the next 3 days. Not good memories.

The security at The Samaya is excellent and we found the villa( with pool) high quality - in fact being ill for 3 days with the symptoms that come from food poisoning ( say no more) the villa was like an oasis we could lock ourselves away and take medication.

We found the staff pleasant with the exception of the driver who took us to the airport and regaled us with the story of his sick child who they could not feed properly. It did not fit with the Samaya image.

This visit to Bali/ Seminyak confirmed my thoughts that the place has built luxury without any infrustructure to support it. Put in the words of a gentleman we passed in the dusty/potholed streets of downtown Seminyak - " This place is a excreta hole" ( tripadvisor asked me to change what the man said) and while I would term it a little differently the man was spot on.

If you want to have a villa with pool in a private place and not leave the surrrounds. And if you watch what you eat and be careful with the afternoon tea and drink bottled water and want to pay $600US then the Samaya is for you.

Bali is off our list of travel list

Room Tip: Pick a pool villa and dont be "upsold" to the Courtyard villas
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
12  Thank TrumanWA
Reviewed February 10, 2014 via mobile

We stayed 8 nights in a pool villa at Samaya. The beach view, accommodation, service, food and spa were all first class.
The team always greeted us with a smile using our names which is a rare find and a wonderful point of difference for Samaya. Thank you for all your help in going the extra mile to make our stay with you perfect!

• Stayed: February 2014