“Great value, serene atmosphere, wonderful hospitality...”
Review of Puri Madawi

Puri Madawi
Ranked #88 of 148 Hotels in Seminyak
Reviewed May 5, 2011

I stayed here for a week on my own (which was unplanned), and I cannot commend the staff more for being accomodating and expressing a wonderful sense of hospitality. Everyone was helpful and always greeted me with a smile. The rooms are good value for money and this hotel makes a great quiet base to launch into Seminyak from. The pool is beautiful, day and night, and the hotel is drenched in plants and flowers, so although its quite compact and small, it still feels private. The outdoor bathrooms that come with the Bungalow are a real treat too.

My only qualms would be that there is some building work next door to one side of the hotel. They are finishing a villa literally across the road (a few meters from the back of the hotel), and if you are unlucky (as I was on my first night) to be in a room facing the site you will be woken up at the crack of dawn. You can barely hear the works going in once by the pool etc, but there are perhaps 3 or 4 of the suites that back directly onto it, so make sure you ask before you book. In fairness to the Hotel, I mentioned that I couldn't stand the sound and was allocated a room away from the building site and the problem was averted. But do keep it in mind.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo
4  Thank syork

Reviewed April 28, 2011

stayed here for a couple of weeks during my trip to indonesia. really enjoyed my stay, felt like a home away from home. Stayed in one of the suites, which are beautiful and very well maintained. The tropical garden and pool area are a great place to unwind from the sometimes hectic life in Seminyak (even though its just a short cab ride away from all the hustle and bustle you could ask for...). Would certainly come here again.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank mfeitzVienna
Reviewed March 21, 2011

Stayed at Puri Madawi for one night - the dreaded arrival-in-Bali night after 24-hours traveling. Figured better not to splurge on details that I wouldn't be able to comprehend with mind numbing jet lag. Found Puri Madawi and looked hip and affordable. Booked into a bungalow for $75. From arrival, I noticed the attention to detail. Understated entrance off quiet little street about 5-min taxi ride into the heart of Seminyak (or 10 mins walk along the beach), but feels worlds away.

There’s only 16 rooms, which are divided into three classifications – free-standing bungalows, suites and executive suites (both two stories). The feel is intimate and comfortable and…effortless. The gardens are well maintained and offer a host of hidden details – fountains and sculptures where you would least expect them, romantic arbors brimming over with tropical foliage. The pool is good sized, nestled invitingly among the lush landscaping. I think what made grounds so nice for me, is the manageable scale. It felt more like being in a friend’s really great and private backyard than at a hotel. The vibe here is definitely not impersonal.

Best thing - the bungalow bathroom - outdoor yet private - beautifully done with plants growing out of the stone walls and Buddha sculptures. Bungalow itself is round with a big bed, great internet and cold beer in the fridge. Even though it is steps off reception, it is cloaked in plants and trees to give privacy. For $110, you can take one of the Suites – a two-story set-up featuring an open living room filled with original art work and a wooden staircase that leads up to the bath- and bedroom. I would do that next time.
Great little restaurant opens up to garden and pool. A very good choice for Seminyak.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo
4  Thank Battered Orange S
Reviewed August 31, 2010

We stayed at Puri Madawi for 8 nights with a large group that consisted of 3 families so 6 adults and 7 children aged 9.5yrs thru 2yrs.

The location was OK, a little out of the way but to be honest close to the beach (about a 10 minute walk) and a taxi ride to all of the dinner locations that we wanted to visit.

The villas themselves were great, incredibly clean and cosy, I had a villa with two kids on a bed in our room and a cot for the 2year old. It wasn't crowded and worked really well. Each room has a patio type set up which made it great for spending the evening sitting and chatting with friends once you had put the kids to bed.

The pool was small but adequate for our requirements and not overcrowded even with more families coming into the villas.

The food was actually pretty good even if we ate out most evenings, from a breakfast and lunch perspective it was perfect for what we needed.

The staff were without doubt the highlight, incredibly friendly and made a real fuss over all of the kids. Nothing was too much trouble and they made the place even better than we could have expected.

Overall really good value and a lovely oasis of a place to stay. Would definitely recommend it. It is quite cosy so if you are looking for a quiet getaway place then it could be hit and miss as if you have a loud group of kids like we did then it might not be ideal. If you are looking for somewhere that is a family friendly, good value for money and incredibly service orientated then go for it.

The ladies of the group also recommended the spa treatments (or at least the massages) that you could get to come to the Villas.

• Stayed: August 2010
Reviewed June 18, 2010

Hotel: The hotel itself is absolutely beautiful, though very small and you feel like you are encamped within a combat zone. Rather high walls and no real view of the outside world.
Location: Though it is near to one of the nicest beaches in Bali, the walk to the beach actually requires you to navigate through some private property which I wouldn't recommend to do at dusk, dawn or night.
Service: Very good and exceptionally friendly.
Food: Nice little restaurant at the pool where we ate breakfast and very tasty snack meals.
Rooms: Wow, we had a spacious honeymoon suite which is really cozy and beautiful with separate sitting area, fridge, a nice bathroom.

Location aside, choose this hotel for privacy and a secluded getaway. It's a bit problematic to get to downtown without a cab.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 21, 2009

I stayed at Puri Madawi for five days mid October. I was on a a break without my family, so wanted somewhere peaceful but safe.
I have been to Bali probably 20 times, so I am very familiar with what to expect, what services are generally provided and and what to put up with.
Having said that, the staff at Puri Madawi were generally helpful and friendly, but a number of things let the resort down. Firstly, it is accessible only by a rocky dirt road. It takes about 10 minutes to walk from the resort into the main street to the made road. This itself is not too much of a problem, however as a woman on my own, I discovered that many taxi drivers would not take me all the way down the dirt road, and at night I was left stranded in pitch black on a rocky dirt road, with howling dogs all around me. It was very scary!
The rooms themselves are basic, but clean. My safe deposit box didn't work, and the door of my room did not lock. I also had no hot water. Maintenance had to fix both these issues, but the safe and the door never worked properly. The shower drain also backed up but that's pretty common in Bali. Breakfast choice was pretty limited, but food was fine. Pool area was small (only about 6 lounge chairs), but ok. The beach was a five minute walk, but you did have to pass some agressive dogs to get there. Again, pretty scary when you are on your own. Overall, I would not stay there again. For the price (USD $77) per night, you can find better in Seminyak.

Stayed: October 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed September 21, 2009

Spent one week at Puri Madawi. On arrival the room was dirty, safe deposit box did not work, shower leaked, door would not lock, no blankets for bed, TV and DVD would not work, air con control flat batteries.

Got worse, ran the shower and the tap would not shut off, no one to fix problem so tap ran fully for one hour. They fixed the safety deposit box then after puting all our valuables in it came back to room and the box had opened by itself. Took then 3 days to fix it properly. They kept changing the batteries and spraying the whole unit with CRC.

Ended up fixing the TV and DVD myself - corroded cables - bought some new ones and connected myself.

Very long way down totally disgraceful road. Some taxi drivers would not even drive down the road as it damaged their vehicles.

We ended up hiring a motorbike just to get out.

Great place if you like warm beer, cold food and things that are falling apart in your rooms and having to keep asking for things to be fixed.

My wife and I have been going to Bali since the early 80's and have stayed at probably around 50 or so different accomodations all over the island from the Hyatt in Sanur to losmans in Lovina. This is definately one I would not go back to.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple