“Perfect Paradise”
other travelers have booked this property
Does this look relaxing? Enjoy your time in Bali
Bathroom (Second Bedroom)
Bathroom (Second Bedroom)
Entrance
Pathways
Welcome to your own private villa
Swim in your own private pool whenever you want
Pool at night
Sun yourself on the pool loungers
Some of our wonderful staff - Juwini, Adi & Putu
Lounge at night
Lounge area
Looks good, doesn't it.
Dining / kitchen
Who's ready for dinner prepared by their own private chef?
Picture yourself here with a good book...
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Tiffany S
Sydney, Australia
“Perfect Paradise”
Reviewed August 17, 2014 for a stay in July 2014

Were do you begin to describe perfection. This was our first trip to Bali, my sister was getting married over there and we were pleased to be getting a holiday as well as a wedding. Kay told me I would love Bali and love it I did. We were initially going to stay at Umalas Retreat for 4 nights but after I mucked up our booking on Gili Island we extended our stay to 8 nights and I am so pleased that we did.

This villa is divine. Kay has such a knack for styling and adding all those little touches. My husband and I were travelling with our 14 year old daughter and 18 year old son, and the layout was perfect for us, everyone had the space they needed.

The staff are just fantastic and cannot do enough for you. Juwini is a real treasure and a great cook, satay yum, nasi goring yum, green pancakes yum, Babi guling (suckling pig) just to die for. Juwini also has a talent for knowing that you want a Bintang before you know it, and brings it to which ever lazy spot you are relaxing in.

Putu was great and ran us around until we felt we had our bearings. The security staff were always accommodating and would see us safely in and out of cabs and always available to help carry my endless shopping. It was an easy walk up to the end of the road for what every we needed or else it was never too much trouble for Juwini to pick up supplies for us. The location was perfect, it was quiet, but also just an Australian $2.50 taxi trip to Seminyak, (we always gave the driver 50000rp, $5) as they are so friendly.

What was my favorite part, the pool, the gazebo, endless massages on the sun lounges, the attention to detail, the huge bed or staff I now consider friends… all of the above. Cant wait to do it all again.

Date of stay: July 2014
Liked best: I loved everything about Umalas Retreat
Liked least: I actually cried when I hugged Juwini goodbye, I did not want to leave.
Traveling group: Extended Family
Your age range 35-49
Older travelers Families with young children
Large groups
Hi Tiffany,
Thank you so much for leaving a review. We love hearing that people have enjoyed themselves.
Just reading about how much you loved Juwini's cooking is making me drool! She's the best, isn't she?
Please visit us again soon.

stods10
Nelson, Canada
“Incredible Private Paradise with spectacular prestige service!”
Reviewed August 17, 2014 for a stay in April 2014

After travelling through South East Asia with a few of my friends from Canada we landed our last few weeks together in Bali. At first we tried out hotels, but then had the realization that renting a villa is not only prestigious but very affordable! Especially if you are travelling with a group of people or a family. Personally we were 2 guys and 2 girls (all 21 years old) and it was absolutely everything we wanted and so much more. The management (putu) is very friendly and always available for anything! We asked lots of questions about places to see and activities to do and they always had a great idea! They we're very helpful with directions and organization as well.
The personal house keeper/chef (Juwini) is every persons dream. The house is always very clean and smells amazing. Every night she lights bug repellent candles just for extra comfort. Juwini's cooking ability should be put into a chef competition because the food she cooks seriously tastes like heaven. Make sure you try her famous morning omelettes, they are the only thing that would actually get me out of the king size bed's in the morning. Not to mention they are like sleeping on a cloud.
The entertainment centre is awesome to. They have many different movies for all types. Comedy, action, children etc. The speakers are great for playing music throughout the day. The pool is kept very clean by the pool boy who comes around weekly if I remember correctly. The sun beds are very comfortable and professionally made, with Umalas Retreat stitched in. Overall the general maintenance of the villa is perfect. You can tell the owners and everybody that takes care of it passionately care about it. That is a big part in why we enjoyed it so much. As soon as we walked in we were greeted with fresh fruit smoothies, right then I knew we were in for an experience I will not forget.
One day I would love to meet the owners (Kay and Anthony), I can tell they are amazing people by the way they run their business.
I would recommend this place to anybody looking to go on a vacation. I want to go back, I want to live there. It is paradise.

Dallon

Date of stay: April 2014
Liked best: The personal chef
Liked least: Nothing
Traveling group: Friends
Older travelers Families with young children
Large groups
Sep 9, 2014
Thanks so much for taking the time to review us Dallon.
We're very glad you had a good time - I know our staff enjoyed having you there.
Come back and see us soon.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed August 10, 2014 for a stay in August 2014
person found this review helpful

Date of stay: August 2014
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The decor of the villa
Liked least: We didn't stay long enough
Traveling group: Young Children
Older travelers Large groups
Awww, shucks.
Thanks so much for your kind words.
It makes us feel great that others love the villa as much as we do.

You and you're beautiful family are welcome back anytime.

Tash603
Byron Bay, Australia
“villa that has lots of little extras, bit out of the way but quiet”
Reviewed July 8, 2014 for a stay in July 2014

Umalas retreat is a lovely villa , with a quirky country décor. It has great pool area that we enjoyed and is well equipped with toys, games, book and videos which was handy with young kids. Juwini the chef is a great cook and very honest and sweet. The few issues we had were the sewerage smell in two of the rooms coming from drain work outside which meant I had to sleep in the room that was not next to my childs., that was annoying but out of the owners control. And also we felt a bit isolated being too far too walk anywhere near Seminyak, and a resort would suit us better next time being only two of us. Also the manager, driver was not that friendly on the pick up and drop off. Otherwise we enjoyed and relaxed there. Having different security outside was a bit strange especially when they came in the morning at 6am to put out the coils, so I asked for them not too. Kay the owner was very generous and let us check out late for free and was very helpful in her emails.

Date of stay: July 2014
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: the pool and the vidoes and books
Liked least: the smell in the rooms form outside and the location
Traveling group: Young Children
Families with young children Large groups
People with pets
Jul 25, 2014
Hi Tash,
Thanks so much for your review.
We cannot apologise enough for the stale water smell that you experienced during your stay. It occurred due to the sewers on the road being upgraded (by the local council), which unfortunately disrupted our plumbing and redirected the airflow from the shower pipes back into the villa, rather than out to the road. We had a plumber attend on the day you notified us of the odour, however his solution involved pulling up the shower bases; not ideal when the property was occupied. We subsequently located some parts in Australia that would address the issue, and flew them over to Bali. We’re very happy to say that the problem has now been resolved.
I’m sorry that you felt that the property was too far from Seminyak. We love that the villa is in a quiet area, yet is close enough (5-10 minutes) from Seminyak to easily get to the good stuff.
I’m a little confused about your comment regarding different security staff. We have a team of three security that attend the villa full time, and they do work on a rotating roster, however you should have met each of them during your stay. I am glad however that you asked them not to come into the villa in the mornings to collect the mosquito coils, as they really are there for you, and can be as flexible with their tasks as you would like them to be.
We are very glad that you enjoyed your time with Juwini. We think she’s wonderful, and I’m glad that others share that feeling.
Thank you for staying at Umalas Retreat I, and for taking the time to provide your feedback. It is this feedback that allows us to continuously improve our product and service so that we can meet our goal of providing our guests with an amazing Bali experience.
Best regards,
Hervey Bay, Australia
Reviewed June 2, 2014 for a stay in May 2014

Date of stay: May 2014
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: From my point of view the pool was great, but I really love the way the Balinese people go out of their way to make sure your stay is satisfactory
Traveling group: Spouse/Partner
Families with young children Large groups
Jul 25, 2014
Hello Mumpma,
Thanks for taking the time to write and let us know how much you enjoyed your stay at Umalas Retreat I.
We’re especially glad that you loved our staff – we think that we have a great team and am glad that others do too. I know what you mean about Juwini’s cooking; I hope you packed loose pants!
We look forward to welcoming you again soon.
Anthony and Kay Shearn
PKSChandr...
Chennai (Madras), India
“A GREAT VILLA TO HAVE LEISURE AND JOY”
Reviewed May 7, 2014 for a stay in April 2014

This Villa is best for those who want to spend their relaxing time by eating good food and splashing in the pools

We are 5 friends and wanted to have a great time in Bali. We had booked Umalas Retreat through Tripdvisor.com and initially, we were very apprehensive about staying in a Villa. Our fears were proven wrong as soon as we met Mr.Putu- the villa manager- who was at the airport to receive us.

We were welcomed in the Villa by Mrs. Juwini- the chef - with refreshing welcome drinks. The Villa looked more beautiful than in the photographs, so excellent, that when we entered inside for the first time, we were stunned. Some of us were gaping at the Balinese art in the walls. We felt as though we were in a paradise. The Villa was brand new. The swimming pool was very clean. The beds were neatly decorated. We wish that Mrs.Kay.S- the Villa Owner- must upload some more good photographs of the swimming pool, because the real pool looked so beautiful in night, that it took most of our time in the Villa. The Villa is completely enclosed with reliable security. The bed rooms were gorgeous- ideal for honeymoon couple and families with children. Two of the three bedrooms were overlooking the pools and the third one was facing the dining hall. The bedrooms had nice screens and can completely shut down natural light, if required. Every room had a locker, a great shower, free toiletries and towels. Everything- the air-conditioners, fans, lockers, TVs, Wi-Fis, water heaters, etc. - worked perfectly. There was not even a single hiccup and minor issues were attended immediately

The Villa is a bit away from Seminyak. That is a great choice, really. Umalas is full of Villas, but has got fewer vehicles in streets. The location of the Villa will make you feel safe and at the same time, families will enjoy good silence and peace, broken only by the splashing of water by guests at the swimming pool.

We discovered that Mr.Putu had fantastic experience in the hospitality field. Our main objective in Bali was to have adventure. We did white water rafting, diving, cycling, ocean sports and many other adventures. We were very apprehensive about falling into traps and getting misled by touts. But Mr.Putu and other staff made sure that we chose the right agents for adventure. He guided us to the safest money exchangers and he took us by car wherever we wanted to go. He had excellent knowledge of the restaurants and temples of Bali.

Mrs. Juwini is a good chef. Some of us were vegetarians and we relished the dishes prepared by her. You need not worry about the ingredients. She will purchase it for you and make you feel safe like at home. Kay was very responsive. We paid the rent though tripadvisor.com and that's it – there were no hidden costs. No other villa owner will offer so much of extras at such a low price. Most of us believe that Kay loves Bali and makes great efforts, so her guests would love the place too. We were sad when it was time for us to leave the Villa and its staff and take the flight back to Singapore. Some of us regretted that we had spent too much of a time on adventure sport in Bali that we didn't spend much time on the pool, the Villa, the books it offered and the idyllic beds it provided.

Thank you Mr.Putu and Mrs. Juwini for taking good care of the five noisy guys.

Date of stay: April 2014
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The pool, the cleanliness and the staff
Liked least: When it was time to leave
Traveling group: Friends
Your age range 25-34
Families with young children
May 12, 2014
Hi Sharath,

Thanks so much for your wonderful review. I shared it to our staff last night and they were so thrilled.
We're very glad that you enjoyed all that we have to offer at Umalas Retreat. We're passionate about Bali, and love to share that passion with others.

Please come back and visit us again soon.

Anthony and Kay Shearn.
Alison F
Maroochydore, Australia
“Umalas Retreat is a great place to relax and unwind”
Reviewed April 27, 2014 for a stay in March 2014
person found this review helpful

Away from the hustle and bustle, Umalas Retreat is a great place to relax and unwind. Nothing has been overlooked. Everything you could possibly want is there. It made our first trip to Bali a stress free and relaxing holiday. The beds are so comfy and the villa is well set out to accommodate 2 or 3 couples to enjoy time together or allow your own personal space. The compendium has been well put together and has lots of useful tips. All the staff are awesome, nothing is too much trouble. Juwini is the best cook. Her green pancakes are heavenly. Thanks again Putu, Juwini, Morris and Adi for the friendly service and always being there to help make our holiday one to remember. Well done Umalas Retreat. We have no hesitation in recommending it as the place to stay in Bali.

Date of stay: March 2014
May 12, 2014
Thanks for your feedback Alison. So glad we were able to assist you with your first visit to the 'Island of the Gods'. You're all welcome back anytime.
Anthony and Kay Shearn
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travelers
Set up your free listing