“Highly Recommend this property”
Review of Downtown Villas

Downtown Villas
Ranked #44 of 431 Specialty Lodging in Seminyak
Reviewed October 16, 2010

I travel to Bali every few months and my occupation involves staying in hotels at least 10 nights a month. My sister and father joined me for this work trip so I needed a one bedroom villa. After searching the internet we decided to stay at Downtown Villas. After booking it I read tripadvisor comments and started to really worry that we chose the wrong hotel. On arrival we were really pleased to see that trip advisor was not accurate at all... here is our summary :
Good Points :
1.The location is AMAZING ... so close to the main rd and yet NO noise AT ALL... not only that but the rooms have a full kitchen so if you are travelling with children/infants you are able to cook if need be.... AND up the road about 2 mins is a major supermarket selling everything from fresh produce to baby formular !
2. The one bedroom villa is small if you have 3 adults ... however very managable. It would however suit 2 adults and a child/infant or just 2 adultson a romantic getaway. The room was very clean and is serviced twice daily ! You have your own pool that was also clean ... very very private too ... big wooden walls so that you feel like you are the only ones there in your little Oasis. I also went and had a look at the 2 bedroom apartment . If you can afford this upgrade I highly reccomend it as it is HUGE ... and would comfortably hold 2 couples as there is so much space .
3. The Breakfast included is extremly generous ... you choose what you would like and time and it is cooked then delivered to your door with very friendly service.
4. The staff are very very very helpful and friendly ... they were very welcoming and caring towards us during our stay . Including 24 hour security staff which really helps you feel safe at night, wonderful reception staff and wait staff.

Negative :
the only negative I would say is that it is not 4 star Australian standards ... maybe a high 3 star ...so perhaps a little expensive but then when you consider the enormous breakfast and the privacy it kind of evens it up. If you shop around the internet deals offer good rates for this hotel.
2. Not right on a beach if this is what you are after.

So all up I say stay here ... whatever problems they may have had in the past certainly do not exist now ... we really enjoyed our stay and considering how worried I was before I arrived at the hotel I was just sooooooo pleased that this gorgeous little boutique villa turned out to be so lovely.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business

Reviewed August 20, 2010

It's been a 9 years from my first visit to Bali already. Almost 10 times I have been visited to Bali, sometimes alone, sometimes with my friends. Usually we preferred to stay in resort Jimabaran (Best one was Conrad till last year). From my freind's recommand, but last year, we choose Down Town Villa in Seminyak. It was excellent choice for my wife Michelle and daughter actually. Because in Jimbaran or nusa dua or Tanjung benoa, we sholuld arrange seperately taxi or rent a car to enjoy more. But in Down Town Villa, it is so easy to go everywhere in Bali. And specially the food which made by themselves are so nice as much as luxury resort. I think all of staff in Kitchen really well trained. And the other staffs alos very kind mind and well educated even this villa is small one. My wife asked me stay again at the end of this year too. Nice Villa with luxury interior, wonderful Food, excellent location. I am sure this one is one of best pool villa in Bali.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 7, 2010

After traveling 32 hours to introduce my friends to my home country--we were robbed within the first 3 hours of our arrival.

I thought I did everything right. I researched for months for a memorable place for my Americans to enjoy Bali, Indonesia. I even speak Bahasa-hoping that this would make things easier. Of course I understand that there are thieves anywhere. My greatest disappointment is how the management handled the incident.

Upon reporting the theft, management arrived 2 hours later. He then proceeded to lie to us and say that this type of situation never happens at his villas. (We then find out that night via trusty tripadvisor that a family two weeks prior had the same exact situation with management and staff.) Then he lined up all the staff and asked to see their books and had them in just stand in front of us. It was incredibly awkward and uncomfortable.

There was no reasonable compensation given. Management refused a refund of our deposit. We were stuck in a place where we were not safe and management was NOT supportive. TRAPPED.

Police assistance was never mentioned by the management. I called another villa that we moved to--Villa Oazia (which I highly recommend) and they gave me information on how to contact the police. We spend the entire next day at the police station with the American consulate trying to make sense of such a confusing legal system (even to someone who speaks Indonesian). If we didn't invest the time and utilize the pressure of the consulate, I truly believe that the suspect would have gotten away with yet another robbery!

The management never followed up with the case. According to the police, when an incident occurs at hotels or villas, the management should be with us to file the report and serve as a translator. We pay almost $400 US dollars a night and intrust them with our safety while in their care. Management at Downtown Villas never contacted us with are refund and never close to an apology.

My friend from California only had two days in her trip for Bali. We spent the first day dealing with the tragedy of all our cash stolen and wasting time waiting around for management. The second day spent trying to figure out a user-unfriendly legal system. Her visit to Bali was a total failure. Then we spent the last two days of our trip trying to get back at least some (30%) of our money from the thief/police station.

BALI + DOWNTOWN VILLAS = RUINED VACATION

I wrote to the Villa Management in order to update them of the situation and requested a response. NO RESPONSE WAS RECEIVED!

Save you money for a more responsible, safe villa. There are many many in Bali :-)

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with friends
pyun4321, General Manager at Downtown Villas, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2010

Dear Value Guest,
First of all, thank you for your comment in regard to your unpleasant experience during your stay at our property and I fully understand your discomfort should be not expected during your vacation in Bali.
We have thoroughly understudied all your comments and we have got the core of the problem that are all not suppose to happen at our property. The serious actions have been taken properly by coordinating with our house security and Indonesian Police to investigate such case and by the high effort, a suspect has been found and now he is in prison and in police oversight. Now, this case is being handled by Indonesian police and then makes the legal process of laws according to the state’s laws of the Indonesia Republic.
As a management, I strongly deplore this incident could happen in our hotel where we have invested all facilities and infrastructure including education to all our employees to realize the best service to all our guests. We have provided the facility of safety box to store valuables things in the room for free. This facility has been tested and could not be opened at random by people who are not interested unless the occupant/guest who is registered in accordance to the rule of hotel management. Our safety box use digital code which is only the guest who is registered and occupying the room know and open it.
By this stage, we remind again that all valuable things must be saved at our safety box which are only those will be the hotel liability in case of lost.
Again, the management and entire staff of Downtown Villa sincerely apology for your unsatisfactory experience during your stay at our property and I will personally make sure that such things will not happen in the years to come. We already have the spirit to tighten our security system to avoid such things in the future.

Reviewed April 26, 2010

Upon entering Downtown Villas, you believe that you are being led into a safe and secure compound......a sanctuary amidst the clamor and the clutter of downtown Seminyak/Bali. However, that feeling is soon replaced by absolute horror and disgust when you discover that the owners and the employees of this resort are nothing more than common thieves.

We arrived at our villa at about 12pm and were greeted by a most amicable staff. At approximately 3pm, we ventured a mere 2 miles / 3 km from the resort. At 5 pm, we returned to discover that the cooking staff and the maid service had entered our villa without our consent or knowledge. I immediately looked around the villa to make certain that our luggage and valuables were still in place. Unfortunately for us, we assumed that no employees would enter the villa during our 2 hour excursion for lunch..........hence, we did not squeeze all of our electronics and currency into the safe. I entered our bedroom and quickly noticed that my briefcase had been moved. Well, well, well.........what do we have here? I immediately looked inside and discovered that a substantial amount of US currency had been stolen (approximately 1 year salary for a Balinese resident). UNBELIEVABLE!

So begins our next adventure.......dealing with the most incompetent staff and general manager on this or any other planet. We contacted the office to voice our disbelief, despair and disgust; only to be shuffled from one incompetent staff member to the next. After approximately 90 minutes, the General Manager enters our villa and begins his detective work: Sherlock Holmes he is not. Not only is this man unprofessional and incompetent; he has neither a firm grasp of the English language nor the Bahasa language........he is from South Korea. Our conversation (or lack thereof) begins and ends with this man blaming us for leaving our valuables out (they were not out, but secured within our luggage) in what is described as a PRIVATE VILLA. After a "police lineup" wherein the staff was invited into our villa by the manager and questioned in front of us (extremely unprofessional and uncomfortable), we were offered nothing other than a voucher for a future stay...........Who in their right mind would choose to stay here again after such an experience?

Ultimately, I hold accountable the employees and the owners of the Downtown Villas for this very unfortunate and disturbing experience. There is absolutely no excuse for such behavior at a private resort which costs nearly $400 US per night. We were violated and you can be certain that you will be too.

PLEASE, PLEASE DO NOT STAY AT THIS RESORT. THIEVES ARE AMONGST US.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
4  Thank BaltimoreZimmy
pyun4321, General Manager at Downtown Villas, responded to this reviewResponded May 18, 2010

Dear valued customers. We would like to thank you for taking the time to write about your experiences at Downtown Villas.
In response to the matters concerning the stolen money and treatment by the staff, we would like to apologise again and emphasise that the situation was taken very seriously. As a result, the perpetrators were caught and fired and intensive staff training in safety, security and service has begun to ensure an enjoyable and carefree stay with us.

Reviewed April 11, 2010

Our annual trip to Bali this year took us to Downtown Villas in Seminyak and without a doubt this was our worst trip to Bali – EVER.

Outrageously, we were very unfortunately robbed of a substantial amount of cash (roughly the equivalent of an average annual Balinese salary) in our private villa during the daytime while we were out.

Upon realizing that our money had been stolen, we immediately reported this terrible incident to the management of the villa complex in search of their advice and assistance.

Shocked, we very soon realized that we were in the hands of an incredibly indifferent and extremely hostile management team, who did not in the least seem concerned that this stealing had happened within their compound.
As the burglary happened in the premises of our own private villa (which we had locked up before leaving) we were inclined to assume it must have been one of the villas’ staff.

The local manager, Mr. R., however insisted that it cannot have been any one of his team and very blatantly accused us of lying. ‘You say A, I say B – you go to police, I don’t care.’ was his literal response.
His general assertive demeanor and aggressive attitude left us thinking that his team including himself were possibly corrupt and in this together.

Going further up and bringing this issue forward to the General Manager, Mr. P., also proved to be pointless.
There was no apology, no sympathy, and no consideration. Just a straightforward: deal with it yourselves; it is none of our business.

I would like to stress that this is the first time in countless visits abroad that we have ever been treated this way by anyone working in the tourist industry, let alone by the usually very friendly Balinese people.

Needless to say, we will never go to Downtown Villas again and I hope that anyone who decides to stay there (despite having read this entry) will be treated as a welcome guest and will not have to ever deal with the rough and rude management team for any reason.

PS: Simple points such as the breakfast being inedible, the staff unhelpful (when trying to book a tour) and the villa’s security at the end of the garden being faulty - all seem too trivial to mention regarding the story above.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Sunbeachwater
Reviewed August 13, 2009

Stayed for our honeymoon in the 1bedroom villa for 5 days... it was great/ok/good... (depends on what days)... they don't advertise the 1 bedroom villa... now we know why...

the down side:

i br villa is ok in size, with tiny.. plunge pool... and by tiny.. I mean.. It's so tiny that I feel that it's just a bath tub replacement... we had no view, and the 2 bedroom villa next door could see us in the plunge pool (basically no privacy)

the room is ok, there was only 1 air conditioning - placed in the bedroom, so if you were to watch tv in the living/kitchen/dining area... it doesnt really help.

sofa is leather... and old... and only fits 2 ppl...

plus points:

however.... i should say that the kitchen is faaabulous... lots of utensils,.. wine glass, champagne glass, glass, big cup, small cups, mugs... you name it...

breakfast is also great.. lots of choices...

and finally LOCATION, LOCATION and LOCATION...
downtown villa is literally in the middle of Seminyak,.. 2 minutes walk to the main street... hidden so it's stil quite... near bintang supermarket, atms, dvd shops (in case you want to watch the latest flick, the villa's dvd library is also available) ... and restaurants is just 5 minutes away...

so anyway, my suggestion is to stay at the BIG and FABULOUS 2 or 3 bedroom villas... this has LARGE living area, Large lap pool, even greater kitchen... and nice nice nice bedrooms....

please stay away from the small tiny 1 bedroom villa...

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 9, 2009

I have been meaning to write a review on this place ever since we returned. We flew into Bali from visiting family in Singapore and it was perfect!! We stayed in the one bed Villa for 2 nights until my partner’s brother and partner joined us and that day we moved to the 2 bed villa. I thought the 1 bed villa was great as it was private, had everything we could need including a plunge pool but then we moved to what we called our "Rock Star Villa" the reason being.....it was of that standard!! It was such an amazing size inside and out, I loved it and did not want to get back on the plane to go back to Singapore. We had a fantastic sized pool, the staff went out of their way to help us and when you came down to your breakfast laid out on the table every day I had to think "this is the life". The location was great we were only a short taxi ride from all the amazing and trendy bars and restaurants and the streets by the villas were lined with beautiful shops (we did come home with quite alot!). We went out on day trips and the staff arranged for a driver for the day who was brilliant and provided us with local knowledge all for about £25 and this was from early morning until the evening stopping at many destinations along the way ensuring we explored Bali as much as possible. We visited the most beautiful beaches with the most amazing sunsets we have ever seen and had lovely cocktails at The Bvlgari Hotel (worth a visit here to see this amazing hotel set in the most amazing mountain and beach location….we could only afford to visit as too expensive to stay here!!). Our holiday in Bali staying in Downtown Villa’s was topped off with all of us having a massage on the large sun bed in the garden by the pool which lasted for an hour it was pure bliss and relaxation. If we ever go back to Bali I would not hesitate in going back here........ In fact I couldn’t think of anywhere else I would rather stay!!

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple