“I loved this hotel so much "BUT"”

The Royal Beach Seminyak Bali - MGallery Collection
Ranked #36 of 144 Hotels in Seminyak
Gold Coast, Australia
“I loved this hotel so much "BUT"”
Reviewed May 13, 2013

When we booked I wanted a five star hotel that was friendly and most of all felt like Bali and not a sterile western hotel, well we got that in spades, I fell in love with this hotel and had the holiday of a lifetime. The gardens, architecture, decor & staff are pure Bali and so easy to fall in love with.

"BUT" the hotel food was very disappointing and no one seemed to care. The first night we had Teppanyaki and it was fresh and nice, no complaints. The breakfasts where comprehensive and good value but compared to most of the food available in Bali it was a bit average in quality. I had six hours of vomiting on one day and after talking to over a dozen people who had talked to several guests each we blamed the pork sausages at breakfast (This can happen anywhere in Bali so I don't blame the hotel but it did add to other problems). Room service was the biggest disappointment, three times we complained and four times it was not edible, for all our trouble we got one free ice-cream. So in summary I would recommend this hotel in a heartbeat as despite the food I loved the hotel "But" the breakfast is average and NEVER order room service. Oh and one other thing the mattresses where slumping in the middle and may need replacing for a hotel at this price point.

Room Tip: If your not happy with the room ask to be moved as other quests advised me that the rooms & vill...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank TheLegendaryMrYeo
theroyalmanager, Marketing Coordinator at The Royal Beach Seminyak Bali - MGallery Collection, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Dear Royal Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I am deeply sorry to know that your experience did not entirely meet your expectation. Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

At MGallery, we strive to provide a superior service from the check-in to the check-out therefore your comment is important for us. Our dining offer is always recommended so again I feel sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Please rest assured that I have reported your concerned to the Chef and management team for their high consideration and awareness.
On behalf of the whole team I would like to thank you again for your constructive comment and it is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.

The Royal Beach Seminyak Bali

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (471)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Bogor, Indonesia
Reviewed May 12, 2013

The location of the The Royal Beach Seminyak is very good, with the beach behind the hotel. The beach is very beautiful. And the environment of the hotel give us a very restful environment.
The room environment, cleanliness and amneties also very good.
Only one thing that we disappointed, that we forget one folder of my wife business kit. But there's no one notification or message from the hotel for us, till we call them on Sunday, May 12, to ask for if they found any of our lost folder in the room.
in my opinion, for such a big hotel or resort like Royal Beach, it should be has an immediate respon if they found any belongings of the guest that has forgotten in the room. It's a pity that the beauty of the hotel, the other service and environment is be spotted by a non-responsive action from the hotel staff.
I think you have to redefine your definition of service again.
But overall, the quality of the hotel is great.

1 Thank Gunawanbai
Dear Royal Guest,

First of all, I would like to apologize for the inconvenience caused regarding your wife folder. I have personally investigate on your case and couldn't find anything. I have immediately reported your comment to the head of department concerned for his awareness to prevent any future occurrence.

Besides this matter, we are happy to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and it's our hope that you will give us an other chance to serve you even better in the future.

On behalf of the whole team I would like to thank you again for choosing once more our resort for your holiday in Bali.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed May 11, 2013

We (my wife and I) spent 7 nights at the Royal Beach early May, our first time in Bali. Check in was smooth and we were quickly ushered to our deluxe gardenview room. Included in our package were two free cocktails, a picnic basket and a high tea, probably overall worth another AUD$50. The décor is traditional Balinese and the room was large enough, with a small balcony overlooking the garden pool. The gardens are beautiful, an oasis in the middle of crowded Seminyak. The Royal is a genuine beachfront hotel, with direct access to the beach from the front of the resort. It is far enough out of Seminyak to be nice and quiet, and I’m sure you’d be able to hear the pounding of the surf if you had your air conditioning off. The king size bed was very comfortable and said air con worked a treat, which was a nice to come home to after a day in the heat and humidity. We only used room service to have our ice bucket filled, but they were always prompt and smiling.
The buffet breakfast was substantial with a decent choice of hot and cold food, and the piano man kept us entertained every morning. Service throughout the hotel was spot on and the staff were always quick with a smile. Drink service around the pool at times was a little slow, but there were a lot of guests to be looked after. Drinks/snack prices were about average for a resort hotel and there was a good variety of choice.
As with many resort style hotels with pools, the reserving of the sun lounges was a shemozzle. People would get up early in the morning, plonk their towels down and would turn up three or four hours later. I suppose you couldn’t blame them as there was no policing of this by pool attendants, not that there appeared to be any rules/etiquette anyway. To our shame we ended up adopting the “if you can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em” adage, out of necessity as much as anything else. There are two pools at the Royal, the larger of the two closest to the beach and favoured by families. The garden pool is a bit more private and is more of an adults pool, as evidenced by the occasional topless bather. The water temp in both pools is about the same, probably in the mid 20s.
The surf was quite large and rough the whole time we were there, so we didn’t get in too often which was a shame. Not that the beach is that flash with black sand and hawkers constantly trying to sell you a selection of fake watches, sunglasses, kites, hats, clothes, wood carvings and massages - the sanctity of the hotel is very welcoming. The beachfront lounges offer a great view of the sunset, and we took full advantage of the two for one happy hour each night whilst being entertained by local acts on the lawn.
The hotel provides a free return shuttle to and from Kuta and Seminyak each day, although we were left stranded one day in Kuta when our return shuttle never showed. Not that it’s a big deal as cab fares are never more than AUD $2 - $3 to go just about anywhere. And there are cabs everywhere driving around honking for business. The hotel is just about walking distance to Seminyak’s shopping district, if you can manage a 30 minute trek in the heat and humidity – but for $2.00 you may as well get a cab. All the nice restaurants in the area are only 15-20 minute from the hotel, and never more than a couple of bucks in a blue taksi.
I can’t compare the Royal Beach hotel with others in the area as we’ve only stayed there, but I’d have no hesitation recommending it to anyone looking for a beachfront resort at around AUD$210 a night. We had looked at staying at similar hotels in the area but some were charging double that, and I can’t imagine they’d be twice as good. If we ever return to Bali we’d have no hesitation in again staying at the Royal.

Room Tip: Garden view rooms are the least expensive but are close to everything
1 Thank TheBr0wnster
theroyalmanager, Marketing Coordinator at The Royal Beach Seminyak Bali - MGallery Collection, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Dear Royal Guest,
First of all, I would like to thank you for your kind words and taking the time to share your experience with us on Tripadvisor. It's always a pleasure to receive constructive comments.

I will share your comment with the staff and I am sure that your review will motivate them even more to continuously improving our services.

I would like to apologize for the inconvenience caused regarding the shuttle bus on the way back, i have reported the issue to the head of department concerned to avoid any occurrence in the future.

Again we would like to thank you for choosing the Royal Beach Seminyak Bali for your valuable holiday in Bali.

We are looking forward to making your next visit even more pleasant than the previous ones.

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed May 9, 2013

A great hotel in a great position right on beach and grounds/gardens are beautiful. The pool makes it. Amazing buffet breakfast. Has a good free shuttel service to Seminyak square and Kuta too. The rooms were a good size - could use a bit of a freshen up to get up to 5 star though. Staff were really friendly and if you have kids the nanny's seemed really nice and caring - the kids all seemed to like them.

1 Thank BrownyAsia
Dear Royal Guest,
First of all, I would like to thank you for your kind words and taking the time to share your comment on Tripadvisor. It's always a pleasure to receive nice comments.

We are delighted to know that you really enjoyed your stay with us.

Bandung
Reviewed May 9, 2013

Arrived at 11am, too early to check in, the room was not ready yet. as Accor adv. plus gold member, my room was upgraded to suite garden room. The reception staff was kindly assist my check in process but be informed that the room will be refreshed after 12pm as fast as possible. Welcome drink and freshener towel was also provided.

Back again to the hotel at 2pm, the room was not ready. Wait for a couple minute for this matter, and the reception staff gave me compliment to stay in grand deluxe until my suite room was ready. During on my way to the room, The bellboy was very friendly, gave information about the hotel in details.

At 4.30 pm my suite room was ready, the room was clean and have a good ambience with classic touch and also well maintained though it was not a new hotel. Amenities provided met my expectations

Little disruption happened. Ask for having late check-out (priviledge for accor adv. plus gold & platinum member only) and reception staff allowed me until 2pm. Not satisfied with reception staff, i spoke with hotel villa manager about this matter. After having long discussion, hotel allowed me to check out until 2.30 pm

Ordered some meals in room service, the portion of soto ayam was very stingy but the taste of fried banana with sauce was delicious.

breakfast at the husk restaurant leave me a positive value, menu selection were great (bacon, sushi, crepes, pastry, etc), taste and quality of all dishes served were in a good control.

Location of the hotel was great, easy to get convenience store, souvenir shop, etc, and of course access directly to the beach from the hotel.

Some notes that i dont like about the hotel:
1. Internet connection did not work well at my room.
2. Check in process need to be faster
3. felt the reception staff were put more attention to foreign guest.
4. Based on discussions with villa manager, i conclude that hotel has bad reservation system ( hotel said suite room fully booked for the next day, but i checked into reservations system of accorhotels.com, suite room still available. It had never been happened in others accor hotels brand before.

However I really appreciate and thank you to Villa Manager Mr.Arif for your explanation and effort to clarify the condition happened.

Last, I really impressed with the service given by Mr. Kadek as a reception staff. Though i felt disappointed with the check in process and the room which was late, he was able to handle my mood with his outstanding services given

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

1 Thank Adhiegunadharma
Dear Royal Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. Nothing better than knowing you had a memorable time with us.

I have noted your constructive comments and I have immediately shared with the head of department concerned for their consideration and follow up.

Our staff is working day after day to provide you an exclusive service ; therefore I will share your comment with them and I am sure that your review will even more motivate them to continuous improving our services.

On behalf of the whole team I would like to thank you again for your kind comment.

We are looking forward to welcoming your again.

Manama, Bahrain
Reviewed May 8, 2013

tThis was our second visit to the hotel the first being 2.5 years ago. we really enjoyed the first trip even though it was a high season. this time round we enjoyed the same excellent service from the staff. i cant stress enough the location was just perfect 20 minute walk from the beach to Kuta and 20 minute street walk to hip Seminyak.

The only downside is the hotel food and cocktails. even their famous breakfast has changed in quality some how it is just that it used to be such a high standard that we expected it to be the same but in all if they were 8/10 now food is 6/10.

all in all its a good hotel for family and couples i would always go back if it kept the same standard of service. tnx for a great memory

1 Thank TravelJunkii
theroyalmanager, Marketing Coordinator at The Royal Beach Seminyak Bali - MGallery Collection, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Dear Royal Guest,
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience with us. Nothing better than knowing our Royal guests enjoyed their holiday in our resort.

I have noted your comment regarding our food and cocktail and i am really sorry to know that your experience did not meet your expectation. I will share your comment with the Chef and his team for their awareness and further action.

Again thank you for sharing your experience on tripadvior.
Looking forward to making your next stay even more pleasant.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed May 6, 2013

The Royal Beach Seminyak's absolute beachfront location on sprawling Seminyak Beach is amazing! Nothing beats sitting on one of the comfy recliners in the shade, watching the surfers, listening to the roar of the waves, sipping on an island coconut and getting cooled by the trade winds.

In addition, the resort has lovely manicured grounds with many fragrant flowering trees and water features.

Clientele mostly Australians/Europeans.

Airport pickup was seamless. We were given an upgraded room on arrival (thank you Eni). Our room was as requested - non-smoking and in a quiet location. Loved the huge bed (bigger than California King), spacious room, lots of storage, robes, bedroom slippers and the many complimentary toiletries. A rug in the room would have been perfect!

We added on the option of the Breakfast Buffet at check-in. Highly recommend if you want a no-hassles start to the morning.

Must-do’s include the complimentary Water Aerobics Class with Made & Wayan.
Wayan also arranged for my husband to have a great Surf Class with one of the Beach Boys whose kiosk was just left of the beach entry.

Overall, we had a very restful stay. Lovely attentive staff, beautifully maintained grounds. Will certainly revisit this resort after it's upcoming 'refresh'.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank happy2bealive
theroyalmanager, Marketing Coordinator at The Royal Beach Seminyak Bali - MGallery Collection, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Dear Royal Guest,

We are delighted to know that you really enjoyed your stay with us.