“Private villa stay in hotel grounds”

The Royal Beach Seminyak Bali - MGallery Collection
Ranked #37 of 148 Hotels in Seminyak
Reviewed March 5, 2013

My husband and I stayed with our 3 older teenagers for 5 nights in a 2 bedroom villa. It was the perfect choice - having our own private villa with its own swimming pool, but still within the hotel grounds with access to all the amenities a big hotel has to offer. You are near the busy shopping areas of Seminyak, Legian and Kuta, but you can totally relax and unwind back in your own villa at the hotel. The poolside bar was great, and the breakfast buffet was the best!!! Location of the hotel is fantastic - right on the beach, where you can laze on your lounger and wave to one of the many waiters when you want a drink or something to eat. My only negative comment would be that we asked for a late checkout (our flight was leaving at 10pm) and were only given 2 hours beyond normal checkout (we would have had to pay 50% of the daily villa rate had we checked out any later). We left our bags in storage at the hotel and went out to do some last minute shopping and on our return we had nowhere to change (from our sodden sweaty clothes) before our overnight flight home. Perhaps a day room could have been offered to us at a cheaper rate than 50% of the villa rate.
On another note, always book your transport through the hotel concierge - they have a fleet of cars and drivers on hand to take you wherever you want to go at the best price.

Room Tip: The villas are well worth the extra money, especially if you are travelling as a family or group.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Cathyg25
theroyalmanager, Marketing Coordinator at The Royal Beach Seminyak Bali - MGallery Collection, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2013

Dear Royal Guest,
Thank you very much for your kind words and taking the time to post such a nice and detailed comment regarding your experience with us on TripAdvisor. We are thrilled to read that you enjoyed your holiday. in one of our exclusive Two Bedrooms Villa.

Memorable experiences are what we strive to provide day after day to our Royal guests; so your compliments are always welcomed.

I have noted your comment regarding the place to change and I am sorry to hear that nobody told you that our Spa bathrooms are available for guests who need to refresh before the flight home. I am really sorry for the inconvenience caused.

I will share your comment with the staff and I am sure that your review will motivate them even more to continuously improving our services.

On behalf of the whole team I would like to thank you again for choosing our resort for your holiday in Bali.

We are looking forward to making your next visit even more pleasant than the previous ones.

The Royal Beach Seminyak Bali

Write a ReviewReviews (2,886)

Reviewed March 3, 2013

We arrived early afternoon, only to be told we would have to wait 6 hours for our room to be ready (the previous occupants were not leaving until later). We could sit in the reception area and wait,however we had to get the manager involved as we were not prepared to sit for that amount of time, we were given a temporary room to use while we waited. To cut a long story short we were compensated, but nothing substantial. The manager's reason for not having a room was that our requirements were difficult to meet and staff wanted to please. We did book it 6 weeks previously so they had time to allocate a suitable room. The room was ok but has taken its toll as has the hotel since being opened and was a little tired. The hotel itself has very nice gardens and are well maintained. Since it opened in 2005 as the Sofitel I can see why the name Sofitel was dropped and renamed in 2009. The weather does have an effect on the condition of a hotel. Would we stay there again - NO.

Room Tip: Choose an upper floor in the middle of the block facing the gardens
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Royal Guest,

I am really sorry to hear that your stay with us didn't meet your expectation. Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

We rarely receive such disappointing remarks and rest assured that we take your comment into high consideration. At MGallery we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore, your comments are important for us.

I have noted all your remarks and will share with the head of departments for their awareness and further actions to avoid any occurrence in the future.

Thank you again for sharing your experience with us and it is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.

Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

I use a complementary night for being Advantage Plus member. didn't have any problem with booking, as some people mentioned in the reviews so booking was good. now, when we arrived at 3pm and tried checking in, the room was not ready. we were given 2 complimentary drink coupons, but when we went up and tried killing the time (the receptionist said it might take up to 1 hr) and redeem the coupons, it took around 20 minutes for us to get the drinks (this is on the third floor right above the reception lobby). so service is lacking. the facility is quite old, the aircon is not cold at all and one of the faucet is not working properly (we are making complain right now to get them fix now). the facility has a private beach but not very clean. so overall it is an okay facility, with so so service.

• Stayed: March 2013

Dear Royal Guest,

I am really sorry to hear that your stay with us didn't meet entirely your expectation. Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

We rarely receive such disappointing remarks but please, rest assured that we take your comment into high consideration. At MGallery we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore, your comments are important for us.

I have noted all your comments and will share with the head of departments for their further actions.

Reviewed March 1, 2013

This was our second stay at Royal Beach Seminyak Hotel. If you read my first review (by clicking underneath this) you can see that we had a fantastic time the first time and were geared up for another great stay.
Although I have given this review 5 stars, I will first explain the (small) things that we don't like about the hotel:
- upon checkin, we were not greeted as follow up visitors - although the booking was in a different first name (my husbands this time), our last name, address and Accor member number are the same.
- the hotel required a 5million rupiah "hold" on your credit card. I find this totally unacceptable for a hotel. Especially as we had already prepaid our accommodation in November. That is $500 to us in Aus and it is a huge amount of money to be essentially taken off your card. If you need a refund of this (because you didn't get anything charged to your room) then it can take upto 5 days to get this money back. I truly think this is not acceptable for a hotel in this day and age. Transactions are instant or at worst overnight...
- we had booked into a deluxe room, and the only bad things I can say about this room is that they have shutters not curtains - so the light streams into the room in morning (my husband hates this and wakes immediately) and the bathroom design is somewhat illogical. The shower opens up onto the toilet with about a foot of space. You also have to contort your arms to reach the toilet paper.
Anyway that is the bad....now the good.
I really love this hotel because of the layout. I love that is had two pools, one garden, which is almost never busy, and an ocean pool that has 'infinity' elements to it. This ocean pool is right beside the bar, with staff always on hand for drinks/food. There are lots of sun lounges around the pool (although we went in low season again, so it wouldn't suffice for high season) and more on the grassed section. We had some lovely days when we stayed at the hotel and so either the morning or afternoon of each day was dedicated to lying by the pool and swimming.
As mentioned above we had booked a deluxe room and unfortunately on the second night my husband had an accident in this room. It was severe enough to get the duty manager to our room and a doctor. Due to the difficulties in translation, I think that staff at the hotel (including the duty manager) didn't at first take the accident seriously, this was until the doctor arrived and advised that my husband needed to go to hospital.
From here on out, the hotel stepped it up and made what was a scary situation better and the rest our our holiday a delight.
My husband had to spend a night in one of the local hospitals, and throughout his 24 hour stay the GM of the hotel, Alessandro, visited twice. This was definitely appreciated and we sincerely thank Alessandro for his caring. He also visited us several times, along with the duty managers, throughout the remainder of our stay at the hotel (another 4 nights). On returning from the hospital, Alessandro had also organised for the most beautiful flowers to be delivered to our room.
We were upgraded to a Grand Deluxe, which is what we stayed in last year. They have black out curtains in these rooms, but I feel that the design and layout of the deluxe room (except the bathroom) is better. The hotel also gave us room credit which looked after us for the remaining days.
We sadly missed the free flow satay night, but tried the Tuesday night free flow tapas night. I thought it was ok, but not fantastic. Some of the tapas was delicious (in particular the Bali tray) but others were mixed yum and not so yum!
We had the buffet breakfast each day at the hotel, and they offer the usual spread. My husband loves the pastries and was very happy with the offerings each day. The hotels main restaurant Husk was just getting a renovation finished so breakfast the first few days was in a room (not sure if this was a restaurant originally?) underneath the reception. I actually preferred this location because it was air-conditioned. When Husk opened half way through our stay and breakfast returned there, we found it too hot. The view is gorgeous though.
We also tried the Namaya Spa at the hotel. On the first visit, my husband had the 1 hour massage (special price for the afternoon of 250,000rp plus taxes) and I had a 2 hour package including massage, body scrub, body milk rub and facial. My husband said this was the best massage of the holiday, and he had already had a few in Ubud. My package was lovely - very relaxing and my skin felt so smooth afterwards. On the second visit (the day of our departure) my husband got another massage - not as good this time, but still very relaxing. I had a maniure. I picked some horrible coloured nail polish so I wasn't upset when it got smudged later that morning... I had to run out into Kuta for some last minute shopping! The prices are expensive, especially when you add the 21% tax on, but that is to be expected in a resort.
Back to the pool area, they have some cosy lounge chairs facing the beach, so you can grab a drink at happy hour (50% off) and watch the sunset. I think we did this on 4 of the nights we were there! On Sunday night they also had a singer on the beach which was very relaxing.
Overall, excluding the accident, we had a wonderful stay and wouldn't hesitate to stay again. The staff are all very friendly including the managers. It did at times feel like we were VIP's but I can't say that this was a bad thing!!
Thanks again Alessandro for your kindness and please congratulate your staff on another great stay.

Room Tip: Choose the deluxe if you can handle light in the morning, or if you like to sleep in go the grand de...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Chazwazza
theroyalmanager, General Manager at The Royal Beach Seminyak Bali - MGallery Collection, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2013

Dear Royal Guest,
thank you very much for your review and for staying with us again.
Very sorry if upon check in you were not welcome as Accor member and actually this feedback gives us some rooms of improvement. Concerning the credit card guarantee this is being systematically asked to all our guests and this is part of our check in procedure, I fully understand your disappointment and I am very sorry for it. Unfortunately not all rooms rooms layout are always as we wish so it is also beyond of our control.
Otherwise i personally thank you for all good comments and appreciation, Hopefully can have the pleasure to welcoming you again in Seminyak. With very warm regard

Reviewed February 27, 2013

What a beautiful place to stay...hotels with huge garden and beachside access..love to stay and want to be there in the next visit..room is big enough with open balcony to have a view. The location is close to seminyak bar and oberoi fine dining street.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank surjawan
theroyalmanager, Marketing Coordinator at The Royal Beach Seminyak Bali - MGallery Collection, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2013

Dear Royal Guest,

First of all, I would like to thank you for your kind words and taking the time to post such a nice comment on TripAdvisor. We are thrilled to read that you enjoyed your valuable holiday in Bali with us.

On behalf of the whole team I would like to thank you again for choosing once more our resort for your holiday in Bali.

We are looking forward to making your next visit even more pleasant than the previous one.

Reviewed February 26, 2013

Stay in this hotel for 5 days in Feb 2013 with our big family from Germany. The hotel is fantastic. The pool with the beach view is absolutely stunning. The breakfast is the winner from any other hotel we have ever stayed. The breakfast has sooo many choices and it tastes very good. Their restaurant Husk,we tried so many foods and the whole family said it was very very delicious. Seminyak beach is direct infront of the hotel and the hotel have private access to the beach. We can sunbathing everyday and can jump direct to the beach and no need a long walk to the beach. Its totally different to kuta where we must cross the roads first to get to the beach. Our hotel gave us more privacy and its very relaxing. They have two pools, one in garden pool and the other is main pool direct with beach view. The hotel fills with a wonderful garden everything looks perfect and green. The staff are so friendly and helpful and their understanding for english is very good. The housekeeping cleans the room very very clean and really well maintained. Our family really really enjoy our trip in Bali. Its really a five star hotel and the price is worthed for what we have got. I have no complaints at all and all of us back home with smile on the face. Thank you The Royal Beach Seminyak.. you made our trip wonderful! :)

Nolle family

Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank fraubiene234

Dear Royal Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. It's always a real pleasure to receive such nice comments. We are delighted to know that all your family enjoyed our facilities, restaurant and services.

Our staff is working day after day to provide you an exclusive service ; therefore I will share your comment with them and I am sure that your review will even more motivate them to continuous improving our services.

On behalf of the whole team I would like to thank you again for your kind comment.

We are looking forward to welcoming your back in the next future.

Reviewed February 26, 2013

One needs to be active and tune ones stay in a hotel in order to get everything going properly.

This was our second hotel in Bali. The plan was to spend four night in a pre-booked hotel and do some hotel hunting. As we are well aware of Sofitel quality and this used to be a Sofitel, we put this hotel on our list. After looking at some other places we took a taxi to Royal Beach. We asked to be shown some superior and deluxe rooms. A very nice lady took us around to see the rooms and we were happy with what we saw. I went to their internet corner and booked the room at a very reasonable price. This was another reason for booking just days before. In the end we saved about 50 euros per day.

Two days later we moved to this hotel and were given our room. It was not one we had been shown, but similar and also a deluxe version. Everything looked good and we were escorted to our room by hotel PR manager. She said that we could contact her whenever we had problems. We did not think that we needed that...

After a fun day at the pool and beach we returned to our room. I opened the fridge and everything was warm. Light was on, so it was working or at least plugged in. I thought that had just been switched on and I would let it have some more hours to cool down.
We went for dinner and later came back to the room. It seemed warm although we came from the hot evening air. We turned the A/C to a lower number and thought that it would actually work. Well, it did not. I had a wrist watch that showed the temperature, which was 26C. A bit too much for a scandinavian... We called the reception and waited for help. After walking to the reception we got a maintenance man to our room to look at the A/C. He could not fix it and after getting a call from a duty manager we were moved to another room. It was about 300m farther away and in the second floor while our original was in the third floor. Well at least it was cool there and we could sleep.

In the morning we went to see our friend and explained the situation to her. We told her the problems we had had and that we wanted our original room or similar. After a while she told that they have one room available to us for our stay. We were upgraded to a deluxe room and she took us to see the room.
We were happy with it after of course checking the fridge and the A/C. Then back to the room to repack our bags to move again.

After that we did not have to move again as we were happy with the room. Everytime we saw our friend she asked, if we were happy. To which we replied "Yes" with a smile.

The hotel itself was very good. You just have to make sure that you get a room that you like. The gardens and pool area are very lovely. The hotel also has a part of the "beach" for itself. This is not very common in Bali. They have sundecks on grass right next to the beach and you can look at the sea,
but still be in peace as the people selling all kinds of things cannot get to you. I would also recommend to watch the sunset at the pool restaurant and enjoy the drinks during the happy hour. The food was excellent here especially the tuna.

Some things in the restaurant could be improved. The service is not the fastest and the waiters do not really keep a lookout for people needing attention. The same behavior was evident the breakfast buffet. In other hotels our used plates were taken away promptly and coffee/tea was served without delay.
Here we had to move the plates aside and also flag a waiter to bring us coffee. Otherwise the buffet was sumptuous with fruit, bread, western and local food.

Other services worth mentioning are the shuttles and the spa. Shuttles are a free option to get to Seminyak square or Kuta Square. Not much to see in Seminyak square, but Kuta and anything in between is worth visiting. You can even get off the shuttle on the way to Kuta (e.g. Legian).
The spa only deserves to be mentioned because of the pricing. We did not visit it, but the pricing was way too high. They did not even have discounts during the low season although customers were few and far between.

All in all the hotel was very good and we will surely stay there, when we visit Bali the next time.

Room Tip: Take a room from the third floor close to the reception. Rooms 341-365 are at least good. We saw 36...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Royal Guest,

First of all, I would like to thank you for sharing your experience with us. We are pleased to see that you enjoyed your holiday.

I have noted your comments regarding the A/C trouble and I have immediately shared your remark with the head of department concerned for his awareness and further action. Please allow to express my sincerest apologies for the inconvenience caused.

On behalf of the whole team I would like to thank you again for choosing our resort for your valuable holiday in Bali.