“Number 1 in Bali for fine dining” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Tapping Shoes - CLOSED

Tapping Shoes
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Brunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Tapping Shoes is now closed, thank you for your patronage in the past years
Denpasar, Bali, Indonesia
“Number 1 in Bali for fine dining”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

A big thank you to Chef Take and team for another memorable dining experience.
Chef Take actually had the night off but came in especially to prepare a 6 course plus plus plus dinner for us.
Presentation amazing, flavors tastes and textures perfect.
This accompanied by fabulous wine and the amazing Ayumi.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank Michael4701

Jakarta, Indonesia
“Gourmet and delicious! The best restaurant for fine dinning!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

I visited a lot of places in Bali and Jakarta, all of them are fine dining restaurants. But only 2 of restaurants in Seminyak area are really good! I didn't expect from Potato Head such delicious french cuisine from Japanese chef, but I have to say that the food was amazing! I will definitely come back there and recommend this place for degustation! Also I met there a host manager Tamilka, who was very kind and we had a wonderful conversation. The serves was excellent too. Love this place!

• Visited November 2012
Perth
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Over charged.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

Awesome service and food was to die for!! Very costly but dont mind when its so good. Only problem was we got back to australia to find they charged us twice on our visa and now no one is responding to my emails to get it refunded.

• Visited October 2012
Perth, Australia
“Fantastic food and service in a modern setting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

We went to Tapping Shoes on the back of the fact that it was at Potato Head, and we wanted to see what PH was all about. Now, we would go back to Tapping Shoes, and Potato Head is just the bit extra on the side.

The decor is simple but effective, especially at night with the 20 or so chandeliers lit up. There's some attention to detail here, especially in the bathroom which hides its Balinese building style well with retro-chic details. The tables are beautifully set out, roses and candles and the usual accoutrements. The view is out over the ocean, beautiful at any time of day. Just the usual Balinese scene of people throwing little blue light things up in the air. If you've been to Bali you know what I mean... Other little things like the French windows opening to the beach, pressed tin ceilings and whitewashed walls finish the look.

There was also what appeared to be a private bar set below the restaurant. This was just being used by other diners as a convenient smoking spot, but I could well imagine it becoming a great spot for a pre or post dinner cocktail.

It's the ambience that gets the most input from PH - it is a beach club after all. The music is all Ibiza chill out lounge music. But the volume level isn't nightclub-loud - it sits at a perfect background level, as does the chatter from the generally chilled out crowd of the young and beautiful below. For a French fine dining restaurant it's unusual, but fits the location perfectly. And its immeasurably preferable to the usual Edith Piaf or piano accordion Parisienne elevator music that French restaurants seem to think is required to go with the food.

The service is excellent. Too often the front of house at a new fine dining establishment thinks service is measured by the number of interruptions, questions about 'how is your meal' and so on. I've been to a few places where it feels like you take one sip of water and the waiter rushes to top up the glass. Not so here. Service is efficient and discrete, only stepping up when needed. One of the signs the service is good is when I've been talking to my partner and something has happened on the table and I didn't even notice :-)

Then the food. If the location, ambience, and staff are fantastic, the food is better. I had the small degustation, and my partner went off the a la carte menu. Again, the service stepped up here - I had six courses to my partners three yet they paced the delivery so that it never felt like I was eating alone. My degustation was a series of small morsels all bursting with creativity and flavor. Nothing felt ordinary, event the bread provided with the fois gras was amazing. It managed to be both French and Asian influenced at the same time, and no course was disappointing.

Similarly, my partner's meal was excellent. She managed to be a tricky customer by being both pregnant (which limits food choices) and with a dislike of seafood (and the menu is heavy on the seafood - hey, its in a Balinese beach club, what should we have expected?). However, the menu had enough choices to satisfy, and again each course was special. The chocolate fondant at the end was a standout.

After all that, it was expensive. Rp2.4m for two people, with only one cocktail for me and no wine. So this is not a casual drop-in spot. But if you are after something special in Bali, Tapping Shoes will provide everything you could ask for.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars
1 Thank JDoc12
Ubud, Indonesia
“Quite simply amazing haute cuisine”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

The restaurant is located in potatohead beach club, I would not give it 5 stars for its decor, but the food is simply stunning. Chef Take is producing some truly fine french food right on the beach. I had a tasting menu of 8 courses and all were up to michelin star standards. Will come back to this place a lot!

• Visited May 2012