“Be a smart picker”

The Grey Boutique Inn
Ranked #45 of 116 Seminyak B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 14, 2013

I suggested you to stay in this hotel if you want to rest and spend most of your time in your hotels (better if you're with you're partner) with a minimum budget. Far enough from the beach (walking 15 minutes) and very silent when the nights come. The price is good ($35 - I've stayed in this hotels for one night with my 5 of my friends, and we stayed in 2 rooms), the designs was simple and comfortable. I remember the cute concept of their bathroom, feelin like you're somewhere in a mission of adventure. They has a swimming pool, but..... really it was really small, like they tried to made the small space which left to be usefull.

Room Tip: Better to stayed on the first floor. So you can easily go and call the receptionist if you need a he...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Firdasn
There are newer reviews for The Grey Boutique Inn

Reviewed September 7, 2013

Stayed for 4 nights on arrival. Location... well, not as close to the beach and shops as you would hope. Quite hard to find, in fact the taxi from airport let us down in the wrong hotel next door! I think the name was "Grand Kuta". Rather grand that we'd hope that we've booked that one instead of The Grey. But overall, staff are friendly and helpful. We've managed to book a tour guide and driver through them.

Walking into the room, it's like what most other reviewers have mentioned: straight into the bathroom. Then through another sliding door, you'll get to the bedroom with really basic settings. A king-sized bed, tv set (no dvd players) with minimal channels selections and a tiny fridge. Hairdryer and a kettle is provided for convenience too. Yes, room is quite dark unless you open the curtain to invite the full sunlight in. Night time, unfortunately, have to unplugged some lightings to give way to charging battery and boiling water etc. Bed is quite comfirtable though, and we got extra blanket when asked for it. Air-con worked fine, but there's no water heater in the shower.

Would say you can get better bargain with better attractions elsewhere. Which explains why there weren't many guests seen during our stayed. Was told by staff that you could take a 20 mins stroll down the beach, but we never tried. Swimming pool is quite small I doubt that anyone would be tempted to soak in it.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Memphia77
Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

I spent one night here, intending to spend two. Very cool modern simple design. Free wifi worked in room. TV with several channels. Fridge and pot to boil water, hair dryer, shampoo and body soap. Air con was ok-- not powerful but worked ok throughout the night.

Very Comfy bed!!! Had a room on the 2nd floor with balcony. I had a regular door to enter the room, but after entering, you are immediately in the toilet and shower area! Next there was a sliding wood door to open and then enter the studio style room. I found it a bit dark-- dim lights which look nice but aren't good to read by. In the day, the sliding door to the balcony is the only window light for the room. If the curtains are open, you don't have much privacy as it faces direct to the street below and anyone sitting across or in cars parked or in the house across can look in. Be nice if they added some sheer drapes to be able to open for light and still get some privacy.

I had issues with my shower water not ever getting hot. Not cold, not quite warm either.

Also be nice if more plug outlets, as you must unplug a light in order to use the hot water pot or charge your batteries, etc.

Room was clean enough, but still had some tiny ants in the bathroom and someone's hair around toilet area. Towels were well worn and need replacing. Bedding was clean but had stains/ spots which happen with wear/time. Pool is small but nice to just sit and cool off in, however it is right next to the reception area. Sadly no lounge chairs to relax in by the pool, although no space maybe.

The staff was very welcoming, friendly and hospitable. Seemed to be more Indonesian guests.

For me, I found the location inconvenient since I was walking or having to take a taxi. It was pretty quiet at night. It took me 30-45 min to walk to the beach ( Double 6) along a busy road with too many motorbikes making it impossible to cross the road at times. If you have transport it would be 5-10 min. to the beach. With transport, it's easy to go to Kuta or Seminyak since you are right in the middle but just farther back from the beach areas.

Across from The Grand Kuta which is next door, you can find a Mc Donald's, Starbucks, Cold Stone Creamery, and a Japanese restaurant. There was also a convenience store around that same area.

I would only stay here again if I had my own transport. Otherwise for the same price, or cheaper you can find nice places closer to cafes, shopping/ beach areas.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank ozzykhk
Reviewed August 15, 2013

The hotel has unique design with simple and minimalism. The room is clean with big bed, shower room in front of the toilet is the first part of the room when we enter in, and balcony outside. Wondering this hotel would be perfect if the location is in front of the beach. The location quite far from the beach, so maybe you need a ride to go to the closest beach. But the location is very strategic, right to the city (sunset road, denpasar, dll) and left to the beaches (kuta, seminyak, doublesix). People there are very nice, only the swimming pool is poor and they dont have breakfast or food service.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 18, 2013

Like the title of my review, the room rate is very reasonable. So much so that I booked a room to myself instead of bunking in with the rest of my party.

The hotel was a little hard to hunt down because it's tucked away on a quiet street, our driver was going round and round till we finally found it. Because of it's location, our stay was a tranquil one. There's a food square just across the road some 3 minutes walk away which has an American restaurant, McDonalds, Starbucks, a Japanese restaurant and somemore that I couldn't recall. If you walk down the road, you will come across a nice standalone spa as well.

Sadly, we did not get to experience the spa because we arrived on the eve of Nyepi Day - Bali practically comes to a halt on this festival as the Hindus observe a day of silence. So if you are planning to travel in March, be sure to check if your trip falls on Nyepi day. All restaurants close early to prepare for Nyepi which happens from midnight onwards, the spa was fully booked till 5pm on Nyepi eve and closed thereafter... you get the drift.

Back to the hotel - room was clean, comfortable and tastefully done. I did not have mosquito problems like the rest of the reviewers. My room was on the ground level so I had an open shower. The pool is small and looks slightly murky so we did not risk a dip in it.

If I don't intend to splurge on a villa on my next Bali visit, I probably will stay here again.

Room Tip: I liked my ground floor room with the open shower concept.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank taraonhols
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Good budget choice if you don't mind taking taxis or mototaxis.
Stayed there for 2 nights mostly because of the price but also because we didn't plan to spend much time in the hotel (diving every day) so the amenities didn't matter much. There is a very small pool. The rooms are "designed" but unless you are into this kind of stuff, it doesn't really matter. To enter the room you use a sliding glass door which is also the only window so in this respect your privacy is compromised unless you keep the curtains closed all the time. Perhaps 2nd floor is better (I don't know, didn't check).
Taxis are cheap in Bali but the hotel is located a bit far. The staff is all young guys and they to their best. There is a little corner store on the main road.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 24, 2013

We stayed for 3 days & 2 nights for our honeymoon. The taxi driver found it a little difficult to find the location as it's a new hotel and it's best if you say it's located behind Grand Kuta hotel to give them a brief idea. The room given we stayed was the one right above the reception with the spacious balcony. WE LOVED IT! apart from the lightings, we really liked the room, atmosphere and most importantly their member of staffs who were very friendly and helpful. We also rented a motorbike for Rs50,000/day. Regarding the motorbike, make sure it's new and the helmets are the adult ones with clips. The hotel is approx.. 70m away from Mc D, Starbucks and so on.. so no worries about food :) Swimming pool is small and not deep. It's suitable for kids. What you see on the website is what you get. I would assure you on that :)

This stay was purchased via Groupon.my. Part of the deal states that we should have received welcome drinks and also a 50% off for spa services. Both of these were not mentioned nor provided. So please ensure you get what you've paid for.. Besides that, we truly enjoyed our stay and we are definitely looking forward to stay again in future..

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple