“Service beyond call”
Review of L Hotel Seminyak

L Hotel Seminyak
Ranked #46 of 148 Hotels in Seminyak
Reviewed October 5, 2012

When I booked L Hotel I knew it was new and a bit quirky. My wife and I returned to Bali for some R and R. We wanted to sit around the pool read swim and generally relax. Unfortunately the pool at L doesn't lend itself to this. I had booked ten nights and paid in advance. After visiting the beach club, casual membership included and seeing the beach area we decided that the hotel just was not what we were looking for. When we mentioned that we would check out earlier the hotel went into overdrive to help out. We were offered a number of alternatives including luxury houses. No other hotel I have stayed in tried so hard to assist. This is some hotel. Not for everyone but the staff are fab the service superb and the kitchen can cook up a storm. Except toasting their great country loaf!
If a pool outside is a must you will be disappointed. If not you can't go past L. Butlers, drivers, waiters room attendants and front staff all go that extra mile to help and make your stay a pleasant one.
Others have written about the rooms,some drawers would be nice. The bathroom is quant with its open plan but everything works.
Just a post script the hotel contacted my booking company. Shortly after a phone call and email confirming a refund for the rest of the stay. Can't ask for better service.
I know some may not see this as a review of the hotel as such but I wanted fellow "Trippers" to know that this hotel is special in a different way

Stayed: October 2012
5  Thank Jobbo23
LHotelSeminyak, Management at L Hotel Seminyak, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2012

Dear Jobbo23,

We would like to thank you for writing such a great review of our service. We wish that you had continued to stay with us but we understand your reasons for shifting. L Hotel is a chic, urban boutique hotel and our hotel is designed to create a new experience of the traveller to Bali, and in fact, to give our guests a look into the modern beauty and creativity in Bali. We do have 2 pools and a beach area with our sunbeds to offer to our guests, however, we do realize that some guests prefer to have a large sunbathing area.

We are glad we were able to work out a solution for you. Our team take great pride in our dining options and our service and are happy that we were able to impress you in that respect.

Best Regards,

Reviewed September 29, 2012

My first trip to Bali was more than amazing. After a long flight (from Moscow) barely stand on my feet, but L Hotel impressed me. Beautiful rooms, comfortable bed,trendy interior, location and of course the attentive staff. In period when I was there the rooftop bar was opened. Amazing view, everyday is different sunset plus best coctels, what else do you need at the end of the day.
I love visiting spa in Moscow and I work in one of the best salons, so I had to try Balinese massage and spa, I heard its unforgettable . L Hotel also have spa and ,I would say, very luxury. I choose "After sun treatment", cause after pretty chilly weather in Moscow, Balinese sun was to hot for my wite skin )))) I spent an hour in spa and I fealt reborn))) jentle hand , nice smell of essence and music makes me so relax and fresh))
So, compear to others , L Hotel not big but defenetly, the Best, it have everithing you need for nice holiday or business trip.
I would love to comeback and stay longer. Thank you.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Elena D

Dear Elena D,

Thank you so much for your kind words and compliments. Moscow is a long way from Bali, but glad to hear you made the trip here and that our services and accommodation made you feel at home 

We are really happy you enjoyed the view at our rooftop Luna Bar & Restaurant, and the great cocktails offered by our F&B team.

Till we meet again!

Reviewed September 19, 2012

My partner and I stayed 10 nights, so I feel like I'm are in a good position to appraise the hotel; I think the hotel represents ok value but it still shows signs reflecting its infancy given it is only new. On the downside first, there were a few things: firstly, we found the basic room rather cramped and ill-thought out with its placement of furnishings (ie. no demarcation between bathroom and bed space with no mirror to easily look into, say, if you need to shave and the toilet space being very claustrophobic). Note: there are works still in progress on the top floor of the hotel and it can make for a noisy environment during the day. Secondly, whilst the butler service is a plus that plain hotels don't generally offer, at times we found it unreliable with arrangements we asked for not being made, so we felt like we needed to double check everything or just organise things ourselves. Thirdly, food in the restaurant is so-so with the eggs especially, at breakfast, never being cooked the right way (I also found it funny, or perhaps odd, that they illustrate how to cook a perfect 63 degree egg on their menu even though they don't offer it). Fourthly, the pool is merely a token pool and not practical to laze at, so if you really want that sort of relaxing time by the pool in the sun, you have to go elsewhere.

All that aside, there are lots of promising things about the hotel. There is real enthusiasm amongst the staff who make you feel extremely welcomed and there is almost an over-abundance of staff (it's a bit like running the gauntlet of 'good morning sir' through the dining room at breakfast!). Rooms are kept immaculate and the pillow menu is a nice touch. The hotel is walking distance to the beach clubs and many of the great restaurants, but if you want to be lazy, the complimentary driver is great. The hotel also has an association with Canggu health club, so you can use their 25m pool and gym for free and you can get ' knuckles in your back, make you squirm' type massages at real cheap prices.

All in all, I think that given the room rate is some US$100-200 cheaper per night compared to some of the big hotels and villas, it still represents reasonable value. I would expect things will improve as time goes along and the hotel becomes more experienced, so it would well be worth the punt for your choice of accommodation in time.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank the_ooi
LHotelSeminyak, Management at L Hotel Seminyak, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2012

Dear Dr. Ooi,

We thank you for choosing us during your last visit to Bali, and also for your feedback and response about the hotel.

We would like to address your comments as you have mentioned.

Firstly, we are looking at solutions to lay out the rooms differently for added space. The bathroom is designed open to create that liberating feel, and we will include beauty mirrors in our rooms to make it easy for guests to shave and apply their make-up as well following your remarks.

We deeply apologize for the noise that you experienced from the rooftop, but it has since ceased with the launch of The Luna, our rooftop bar & restaurant. Regarding the butler service, all of our butlers and staff are undergoing training regularly and we will do our best to ensure that the service is improved, as it is a hallmark of L. We are also concerned that you find our dining selection not complete and we are grateful for your suggestions. For time in the sun, currently, we have two other options for guests to enjoy. The first is a beach area with our sun lounges, and our butler personally escorts you to the beach with the shuttle service, and the second is our rooftop where guests can have sun lounges as well to relax.

We are pleased as always to hear your compliments of our services and details and the staff are pleased to hear that you found them enthusiastic. Kindly note that you might have found that we had many staff due to the fact that they were actually in training for our rooftop food & beverage service.

We appreciate your comment that you find the hotel promising, and we will make it our duty to improve from here.I trust you will still return soon one day or recommend our hotel to your friends. Check out our rooftop Luna, a cool hang out with a multitude of culinary choices.

Reviewed September 18, 2012

L Hotel was a lovely experience, however it did take a bit of getting used to.
We arrived and were upgraded to the Luxe Suite - however this was still a very small room. The Bathroom is attached - open plan style.
Although it is not the traditonal Balinese style Villa the amenities and surroundings of the room were very nice and comfortable.
Staff are very lovely and always willing to do anything for you. Free transport (at anytime) to Seminyak areas was a great advantage too.
Breakfast menu was a little limited but they do serve fantastic coffees.
Overall it was a great stay and after a busy day in the hectic streets of Bali, L Hotel was a great escape to unwind.

Room Tip: Upgrade to the Luxe Suite - the bathroom is bigger and a little bit more seperate.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SarahPerth86

Dear Sarah,

Thank you very much for your feedback about L Hotel Seminyak. L is designed to be a chic and urban boutique hotel in trendy Seminyak, and hence the distinct difference between us and the traditional Balinese villas. We try to make breakfast an encompassing menu of different selections and cuisines, but we will look into the reasons why you felt the breakfast selection was limited. Pleased as always to hear that you enjoyed our service, and the little details such as the complimentary shuttle service, local artisan coffee and found our hotel a relaxing place to unwind in Bali ☺

I look forward to welcoming you back to L soon.

Reviewed September 13, 2012

Reading other reviews, i was quite looking forward to my stay at L Hotel.
But i didnt realised that the room despise their pompous name of "suite" are only a (small) room with a bathroom part of the room! If you like quietness do request a backroom as the rooms facing the street are terribly noisy. So i was quite taken aback by not knowing what to expect.
But once i got used to the minusculism of the space - the decor being nice, the bed very confy with the choice of pillow offered, i could consider of going back.
The junior suite is good for one person: cosyness is nice, but this is tiny!
Staff is very nice and helpful. Maybe a little overpowering. The location very central.
The rating is actually 'good': i wish there would be rating between 'average' and 'very good'. There is a big gap in between

Room Tip: Rooms facing the back!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
LHotelSeminyak, Management at L Hotel Seminyak, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2012

Dear Nashka H,

Thank you for your comments on L Hotel Seminyak. We deeply regret for the noise on the street and are already implementing a sound proofing solution. Bali is getting rather populated especially around Seminyak and Kuta.

L is designed to be a small chic and luxurious boutique hotel in Seminyak with the focus on our unique décor and plush fittings such as our linens and pillows, including the custom Pillow Menu for you to enjoy a comfortable night’s sleep. We pride ourselves on our personalized services and glad to hear that you found the staff helpful.

Due to the vertical landscape on which the property is built, we have created petite suites which incorporate the elements of luxury, giving the guests an intimate and engaging experience.

We would love to welcome you back soon at L, so please leave us a message at the below email address or contact our reservations at reservation@thelhotels.com. Rest assured, we will take note of your concerns and will fine tune your future accommodation arrangement.

Reviewed September 10, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the "L"....a beautiful and centrally located boutique hotel that was the closest thing ever to coming home....We were so taken aback by the truly warm welcome extended to us by the ever smiling and helpful staff and the same relentless pace of hospitality extended to us throughout including a warm send off when the time came to leave. My wife and I would never even consider staying at another property in Bali. In contrast our experience at the Bali Conrad several years ago was a nightmare. Although there are many wonderful things that need to be said about "L", the one that comes immediately to mind ( being a sworn foodie ) is the breakfast buffet menu. It was exactly like I had wished it would be. An ala carte buffet. The room came with a buffet breakfast and you order off the menu rather than the usual food factories that churn out the same breakfast. It's not surprising why other hotels dont follow this concept. The money is in mass production. L however is positioned and I suppose, marketed differently. Need an idea of the other luxuries? The toiletries are Kiehl's. Nuff said !!

Room Tip: Ask for the rooms on the left side ( if you are facing hotel) as this gives you a splendid view of a...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Ashok S
Adeline Q, Management at L Hotel Seminyak, responded to this reviewResponded September 14, 2012

Dear Ashok S,

Thank you for your review and kind comments about L Hotel Seminyak. Yes, L is marketed differently, and our desire is to provide personalized travel and lifestyle experiences in the heart of Bali. A good, hearty breakfast is the start to a beautiful day and that’s exactly what we want our guests to enjoy in Bali!

We look forward to your next visit and will surprise you with even more goodies!

Reviewed September 10, 2012

We stayed at the L Hotel almost 2 weeks in August 2012 and loved it from the first moment.
The Hotel just opened (I think in June 2012) and is one of the first Boutique Hotels in Seminyak.

L Hotel is the perfect place if you want stylish and modern luxury (lobby and rooms).

The location of the Hotel is quite central, but not too central. In my opinion every place in Seminyak (Kudeta, Seminyak square, Potato Head…) is within walking distance, but if you don’t want to walk they offer a complimentary shuttle service in the Seminyak area.

The rooms are spacious (the suites) and some of them have an amazing rice field view.

The staff was extremely friendly and competent (special thanks to Trevor who made our stay perfect!).

The price of the Hotel is medium, if you consider all the extra services they offer complimentary (such as daily pre-dinner snacks and drinks, complimentary minibar replenished daily, 24h butler services, à la carte breakfast and buffet, internet, shuttle service to seminyak, welcome drink and welcome fruit platter in the room etc.).

One pearl of the Hotel is, in my opinion, their Dutch chef. He is a really great cook (either Indonesian than international food)…and especially his pre-dinner snacks were delicious …Just go and try it!

And, last but not least, every night when the staff did the turndown in the room, they put a small box of pralines on the bed that have been the best ones we ever received in a Hotel.

I really recommend L Hotel to everybody who likes small, personalized, luxurious and stylish hotels.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Stefanie P

Dear Stefanie P,

Thank you for your review and glad to hear that you enjoyed L Hotel Seminyak. Trevor and Rutger remember you well and thank you for your compliments. Rutger has indeed honed his flair for Indonesian flavours during his time in Bali, not surprising since his wife is Indonesian.

Our desire is to bring the bespoke small luxury hotel experience to Bali, especially in Seminyak and we are glad that guests like you have enjoyed the personalized services such as the pick-up/drop-off service in Seminyak.

We hope to see you again soon!

Best regards,