“heaven”

The Villas Bali Hotel & Spa
Ranked #31 of 148 Hotels in Seminyak
Reviewed January 5, 2009

we arrived to our hotel only to find tha it wasnt ready, but we were taken to the 2 bed room villa ( the origional location) which was tiny and smelt. but before we did that we were taken to the resteraunt for our welcome drinks. At around 2.30 we were taken to villa in the sencond lot (which was a 3bed) and it was heaven. we immediatly jumped into the pool which was loverly and spacious. we were then greated by the staff for some more drinks and a basket full of fresh fruit.
We choose to have our breakfast made in the villa each morning which was always great tasting.
I recomend taking tours with the hotel as they are personal and you can choose were bouse you want to go and for how long. also you do not share with anyone else.
on christams eve we found little pressies on our table which we opened on chrissy day. Then on chrissy day santa came into our villa with ice-creams for us all (how odd i thought cause doesnt santa not appear again, but however it was nice though)
Over all this is one stunning villa. you get treated with royalty- room service, tidy up for you, clean, make your bed, new towles twice a day, wash the dishes, its a great life.

• Stayed: December 2008
1  Thank chocolate222

Reviewed November 30, 2008

Our group of ten stayed at The Villas for a week. We had two villas, a 2 bedroom and a 3 bedroom and both were exceptional. My villa was huge and spotless. It had a massive garden and swimming pool. The villa was very open which made it feel comfortable even with all 10 of us in it at the same time. One night, we had a "Balinese Barbeque" cooked and served in the villa for all of us...really nice. Every morning, a chef would come in and cook breakfast for us...that's what I need here at home!

I was pleasantly surprised with how close the villas were to the pictures on the website. Our kitchen was well stocked with everything you need for cooking (dishes, pots, pans, etc.) and the refrigerator comes fully stocked (they take inventory every day and bill you for what's used) but there is a nice supermarket called Bintang within walking distance.

Housekeeping came in twice a day to change towels, make the beds, turn down beds, take out trash, etc. One thing you should know about Bali...there are geckos everywhere but don't worry...they're harmless and kind of cute!

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with friends
3  Thank str0be
Reviewed November 24, 2008

We arrived at The Villas Bali after spending a week in Ubud at the Komaneka. Maybe this has something to do with our shock at how over rated the reviews for this hotel are, since the Komaneka Tanggayuda is so amazing.

Upon arrival to The Villas we were brought into the check in lobby area and waited to be helped. We were surprised to find that they wanted us to pay in full for our package at that moment, where all other hotels we stayed in only secured your stay with a credit card and it was charged upon departure. We reluctantly handed over our Visa Debit card (we did not bring credit cards to Bali because of prevalent fraud) which we where then told they could not accept, only "credit" cards. The woman was extremely rude and told us "go walk down the street and find ATM and bring us the $1200 US dollars". Really, that is how she said it. Obviously using an ATM in a foreign country will not distribute more than $250 in 24 hours for security reasons. This is the ONLY hotel that did not accept debit cards out of the 5 we stayed at. We paid for one nights stay, canceled the over priced package and decided to see if the villa was worth any more of our time spent there.

It was not. We were so happy we did not pay for any additional nights.

Upon first sight the pool looked nice enough but compared to our other villas in Bali, it was mediocre. The entire villa looked as if maybe it was nice in the 90's but now it's just plain tired. Very tacky decorating and a little dirty. We stayed in the section that is connected to the Spa and Restaurant. I'm guessing that the newer section is better, since everyone mentions "The Sunset" section.

Bathroom is hideous! It was entirely open to the outside and SO HOT, smelled of sewage (which we could even smell when in our bed) and ridden with mosquitoes.

Bedroom was also swarming with mosquitoes since none of the doors or windows sealed tightly and had about inch and a half gaps on the bottom and in between where they came together.

Outdoor stereo systems seems like a nice touch but our neighbors decided to play Avril Levine so loud from 4pm until 1am and this doesn't make for a romantic honeymoon. We informed them we would like a room change and they said they would try and to check in after dinner but of course "nothing was available". Avril Levine it was.

I could go on but I'm sure you are getting the picture. We ended up waking up the next morning, booking at the Maya Sayang (which was less expensive and a huge improvement), eating breakfast (this was the only thing we enjoyed here) and then left as quickly as we could.

Another note: we went back to Chill Spa a few days later for reflexology which was also mediocre compared to other places we visited. It's overpriced, again, which seems to be the mantra of the Villas Bali!

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
4  Thank laurapoi
Reviewed November 22, 2008

We arrived in Bali and got the hotel private transfer car. It takes about 20 minutes from the Airport to The Villas Bali. We where taken to the main reception to sign in and give the usual card details over, this only took about 15 minutes, we were then taken to our 1 Bed Villa which was in the Sunset Section, we opened the big brown wooden doors to enter our villa, words can not describe how I felt when I saw it. It was amazing, you walk in and its like a mini jungle with all the tropical plants and trees, walking up the path on your left hand side behind the trees is the private pool. I thought it would be a fairly small pool, but no it was massive! Then as you keep on walking up the path you come to your Villa. The Kitchen, & seating area is outside, which is a really nice touch, then you open a set of doors and you are in the bedroom, there are two doors at the back of the bedroom, one is a closet and one is the half open air bathroom, even this was big, id say bigger then a 3 bed house kitchen back in England! It was pure bliss. The staff there are amazing, unfortunately I had a bit of a reaction to the spices out there and I was very ill, we were supposed to go on a Dolphin Trip but my husband rang the reception up to tell them I couldn't go and explained why, next thing there was a doctor at the door checking me out, and giving me tablets! The food out there is just amazing, every morning you can have your breakfast delivered to your villa and the staff cook in front of you. We went on so many trips, and I am so glad that we had the chance to come and visit this amazing country. The people are so so friendly, they would do anything for you, the views are out of this world, its just a shame we live so far away, otherwise I would be there every weekend!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank louiseHornchurch
Reviewed November 9, 2008

After more trips to Bali than I can count we decided to stay at The Villas Bali. The staff could not have been more warm, friendly and helpful with everyone from the security guards, reception staff and cooks to the cleaners and gardeners giving a beaming smile every time they saw us. You expect great service from a quality hotel but I really appreciated the extra little touches - like the cook who fixed my mobile phone after making breakfast in our villa. We stayed in a stunning 3 bedroom villa with our own pool and gorgeous open lounge room and kitchen. Each bedroom was quite separate with its own bathroom. We all had a great time choosing our breakfast each night from the impressive selection. We posted our choices in the 'door mail' and the next morning cooks would come to our villa and whip up a feast for us. The hotel is right in the middle of excellent shopping and just across the road from the fabulous Bali Deli. The girls had a spa treatment - massage and facial and came back glowing with dreamy expressions on their faces. We will definitely be staying here next time we come back to Bali, in fact I wish I could go back tomorrow!

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank gladescpl
Reviewed November 4, 2008

Absolutely loved this resort and cannot wait to stay there again! It was a magical getaway for my husband and I who were there to celebrate a milestone anniversary. We have stayed in a variety of hotels in Bali and this has definitely been the most luxurious.

I would very much recommend this hotel to others like ourselves: those looking for private luxury in a traditional Balinese setting. The hotel is somewhat paradoxical: the emphasis is on privacy and quiet, yet it is situated a stone's throw from the (upscale) hustle and bustle of Seminyak's main thoroughfares and 15 minutes from the beach. There are 3 estates (The Villas Bali Original, The Villas Estate and The Villas Bali Sunset) situated amongst what is basically a suburb of Seminyak. Each seems to contain approximately 12 - 27 villas, ranging from one-roomers to 3 bedroom villas. All have their own pool (ranging in size according to price), kitchen and landscaped grounds with koi ponds and carved stone statues. The bathrooms are large and lovely: semi open-air (but still, utterly private) with full deep baths, stone and marble accents and bath products from The Villas' own spa.

The bedrooms and living areas are furnished with dark teak furniture in Asian-Colonial style with lots of Balinese details throughout, e.g., statues of Hindu deities, stone carvings, woven Balinese ikat cloth bedding, carved headboard showing scenes of Balinese life. All bedrooms have flat screen TVs, the villa had wi-fi. Rooms are very spacious, bright and well-cooled; the decor is inspiring.

The kitchen is fully equipped, which makes it very economical for long stays as well. We used only the fridge to stock up on drinks which are available at the supermarket (Bintang Supermarket) on the main street, Jalan Raya Seminyak. We do recommend trying the locally crafted liquors which are actually quite good and priced much more reasonably than the imported stuff. Also, Bintang beer which is excellent is priced at well under USD2 while a can of Heineken will set you back 6 dollars.

The lounge, which is open air and faces the pool, is wonderfully breezy and many an evening was spent there enjoying a full (6 course) meal catered by the hotel kitchen, listening to CDs on the CD player (provided) and sipping some amazing cocktails (also whipped up by their staff). Contact the hotel at the time of booking to request a private BBQ: we thought the Balinese dinner was tremendous although they have Western style dinners too.

Breakfast at the Prana restaurant was included and of quite good quality (a la carte, not buffet) - the fresh fruits, French toast and local orange juice were very nice. To get to the restaurant, one has to call the front desk for a little courtesy van which will drive you to estate #1 where the main office, restaurant, gift shop and spa are located. Once the shops open, at about 10 a.m., it is worth a walk instead as you can incorporate some people watching and shopping as well. I recommend the Spa very highly : very beautifully (if somewhat theatrically) decorated with highly trained and discreet staff and top quality imported products.

On a side note, while there, I also tried a more moderately priced salon & spa as well as one of the "streetside" spas. I was quite impressed with the cleanliness and professionalism of the former: while not as sophisticated perhaps as the Villas' spa, it was in a more Balinese setting and very pretty but it didn't have the extra touches e.g., the complimentary brush and comb set, the private locker with a key on a lovely bracelet, the warm towels or the imported beauty products. The "streetside" spa? If you like looking at geckos skittering across the ceiling as you're lying there, or feeling slightly superfluous as your attendant is carrying on a loud conversation with her friends as she's pummeling you, then you'll be OK. If you prefer that your money go to the local economy, avoid the spas that look too trendy and have signage in Japanese: they are usually owned by foreign residents. If, however, you have no such preferences, they are very effiecient too if somewhat lacking in character...

One of the most interesting experiences was our morning walk: the walk took us through the winding lanes of Seminyak and we drank in the sights of the Balinese households and small businesses that line the streets. Women putting out the offerings at the altars, young men and women going off to work often with their children in school uniforms, clinging tightly to their parents, as their motorcycles manouevered the narrow alleyways. Pampered Balinese dogs being let out of the front doors, stretching and yawning in the sun; toothless old ladies doing the laundry or sweeping the front stoop.

This is a resort suitable for those who enjoy taking things slowly and especially for those who appreciate the traditional architecture of the island and who are looking for something a little quieter and more upscale than in other parts of Bali. For example, there are not as many dance places/ nightclubs in this area, the beach is never packed or noisy and you won't find the ubiquitous sarongs/ beach towels hanging for sale outside the resort. You will however, find some excellent restaurants in the area and some really high quality clothing boutiques. In my experience, it is worth asking when the proprietor will be in, as the sales people may not always have the authority to bargain with you.

While we did not take our young son with us, I DID feel a little remorse while enjoying my solitude: the Balinese absolutely adore children and cater to their every whim and fancy. I could tell that, had we brought him, we would have had no problem ordering his favourite meals from the restaurant or having the staff play with him and indulge him, as I saw them do with the few other children at this hotel. The staff of the Villas is wonderful: quiet, efficient and respectful and they are delighted when they meet tourists who want to get to know their island and their culture. They are able to arrange full day or half day tours to anywhere on the island and are quite knowledgeable about when and where the dance theatreswill be held. They can also arrange diving and sailing tours on the northern shores of the island where the coral is phenomenal. They were good to let us know about the powerful riptides at the beach at Seminyak and to be careful - they weren't kidding. Note: move quickly to the shoreline when the lifeguard starts blowing madly on his whistle...

The rooms were visited twice daily by staff, cleaned and restocked with flowers, soft drinks,water, fresh towels and toiletries. In the evening, the staff came in to let down the netting around the beds and to spray for mosquitoes. We found that lighting the mosquito coils provided (in the little terracotta frogs by the pillars) was enough to keep us absolutely bug free in the evenings. Do, however, take bug spray with you when going out to eat in open air restaurants or when visiting open air theatres. A very good open air restaurant is Warung Made about a 15 minute walk up the main drag. The staff will arrange for your transportation to the shops, restaurants in the area and to the beach for free on their shuttle buses. Pick up and drop off at the airport or to your next destination within Bali can be pre-arranged at the time of your hotel booking.

This hotel also has a reflexology centre, yoga classes and a health clinic on site.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank pluckycanuck
Reviewed November 1, 2008

My partner and I just came back from The Villas yesterday after staying 5 days. This was my 5th visit to Bali - first time staying in Seminyak. We booked a one bedroom villa, but when we arrived were given a 2 bed villa - the pool was huge! Breakfast was really nice, loved the lime & sugar crepes. Everything was very clean and service was great. We only left our villa twice to go shopping in Kuta - which wasnt too far, approx 20 mins drive away. We asked for a dvd player which was free to use and was set up in our villa within 10 minutes of requesting. I visited the Prana Spa only once, as the prices were a little high for me. I got the morning special which is a 1 hour massage and free 30 minute facial - cost me approx $130 AUD but it was worth it. Wish i was still there - 5 days is definately not enough!

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple