“Old school glamour in the heart of seminyak”
Review of The Oberoi Bali

The Oberoi Bali
Ranked #10 of 144 Hotels in Seminyak
Bristol UK
“Old school glamour in the heart of seminyak”
Reviewed February 12, 2011

I stayed here with my husband in January and having been told by my brother how dreadful the weather had been for him a week earlier the most pressing thing was...would it rain for two weeks??

In the end, the weather was great.

This is an established hotel in a chain which has a very good reputation. It seems to have a very colonial feel, which I thought was pitched right for the sophisticated, mostly european clientele.

The rooms were wonderful. We had a garden room (standard) but the suites looked amazing. You do get used to the bed being high, on one night we slept for 12 hours so there must be something right about them! Air con is very efficient. Room turn around and service was impeccable.

The turn down boys were so lovely as were the boys at the pool. In fact all the staff were first class, without exception. If a hotel is judges by its people the oberoi is up with the best.

We both had a spa treatment (I had Maunday Luluar) and it was the highlight of the holiday for this stressed out lawyer. My skin was so soft and it lasted for a week like that. Gorgeous.

The hotel had what I would call subtle, cultured local entertainment which was not in your face and early in the evening. It provided a small insight into the arts of Bali. Seminyak is on your doorstep so if you want to go out and get crazy, it's all there. Ku De Ta is next door. Just go..and see what the fuss is about.

We were on room only as we wanted to sample local cuisine. We did not eat in the hotel restaurant. Not on account of the prices but because it was so quiet!! It didnt have the buzz which was next door at Ku De Ta. This is a completely personal thing, as the food looked delicious and the plat du jours menu was very reasonable for the ambiance and the skills and service.

Drawbacks..the beach. Not great to be honest, not all that clean but not the hotel's fault. It was wonderful to look at from the hotel pool/bar. Trip to Kuta..we hated it and it was the only time I felt unsafe. Get a driver from the hotel taxi service to take you round the island.

As for the hotel- we loved it and will return, if not to Bali then ceratinly to another Oberoi.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (322)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Melbourne
Reviewed February 2, 2011

First impressions - older hotel, gracious, beautiful gardens.
Impressions by end of stay - impeccable service, beautiful details in the gardens, lovely setting, did I mention wonderful service???? I was sad to leave it was such a comfortable, homely (in a luxurious way) place to stay with a nice older crowd mostly. A dignified hotel. Spa was lovely too.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Springstreet77
Oberoi_Bali, General Manager at The Oberoi Bali, responded to this review, February 24, 2011
Dear Guest,

We are pleased to note that you have enjoyed your stay and that you were satisfied with the services rendered.

Thank you for having stayed with us and we look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to The Oberoi, Bali.

New York City, New York
Reviewed January 25, 2011

Lovely hotel, lovely location, lovely beach, lovely pool. But everyone recommending it made it seem like it was the most amazing place they'd ever seen. While the beach was gorgeous, there was nothing particularly spectacular about the hotel itself.

Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Oberoi_Bali, General Manager at The Oberoi Bali, responded to this review, February 1, 2011

Sydney
Reviewed January 23, 2011

I stayed at the Oberoi over Christmas with my fiancee. I found the resort quite intimate. It is not big compared to some of the other big name resorts on the island.
The service was impeccable. I was greeted with smiles every morning and the general up keep of the property was nice.

However, there were some strange details that I think they should think about. First and most importantly, the beds are ridiculous. I am by no means a short person but these beds were so high up, it was so uncomfortable getting into bed. Another thing about these ridiculous beds are that they have this hardwood edged frame that goes all around the bed and sticks out, its impossible not to bang your leg on it at least once (especially when the bed is made up and you are not aware of this hardwood ledge).

Another thing I really didnt like about the room was that although they had a beautiful bathroom and a beautiful area to take a cath, right next to it was a toilet bowl (bidet)...ewwwww! That did NOT offer me any incentive to use the bathtub.
I'm curious to know why anyone would want to place that there! who wants to bathe next to a toilet bowl!!!

All in all, the stay was more positive than negative and I especially appreciated the friendly staff who provided excellent service but would not stay here again because of the detail they lack.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Missyjkitten
Dear Guest,

We also thank you for your comment that you found the bed in your room to be too high and uncomfortable. Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience. Our bed design is based on typical Balinese beds, which are higher than usual beds. Foot stools are provided on request to meet all guests’ needs.

The sunken marble bath in Lanai room is set against the private walled bathroom garden for guests to enjoy daylight and the outdoor views. We will certainly look into your suggestion to reposition of bidet in relation to the sunken bath.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 20, 2011

You read reviews and are not sure what to make of them as they often contradict one another, went here for honeymoon and loved it! Service was impeccable rom start to end...was made to feel like royalty...would highly recommend to anyone! Just dont tell taxi drivers the name of the hotel upon return (say the street instead) otherwise they will charge you extra!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

We are pleased to note that you have enjoyed your honeymoon stay with us and that you were satisfied with the services rendered.

I have shared your compliments with my entire team in the hotel. It will encourage them to keep working with the genuine and warm Balinese spirit of hospitality.

Denpasar, Indonesia
Reviewed January 11, 2011

Room was great but we were told breakfast was complimentary and then got a bill for around $40 for each when we checked out, we were in a hurry so didn't argue it....some misunderstanding I think by us or the waiter who told us it was.

As a lot of reviews have commented, the restaurant is central London prices for Michelin starred joints. Maybe they should point out on the menu it includes the taxes rather than replying to every review. I am fairly well off and I found the prices too much for me but what I really noticed was that I never saw more than 3 tables being used and kept thinking "no wonder" at these prices and also if they lowered the price a bit how much more they could profit, I makes me wonder who did all the research mentioned in their replies to these reviews as I run businesses and having 30 odd tables and all those staff, with say 10% used is strange economics, to me anyway..

Small point, I am now sick back in UK after swimming for 3 hours a couple of days ago in the surf, I left the water after I noticed it was not all water...I will spare you the details. But Bali is in danger of over development without proper infrastructure, the smelly stuff seemed to come from the trendy Ku De Ta next door.

But still, after a murderous few days on a Gili Island washing in salt and escaping to the Oberoi saved my holiday, they were great.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking your valuable time to post your comments on Trip Advisor regarding your recent visit to The Oberoi, Bali. Your feedback is very useful as we carefully analyze all of our guest comments in order to assess the performance of each department.

We also thank you for your comment regarding the menu prices, which you had found to be expensive. As suggested by you, on each menu page, it is already stated that all our menu prices include 11% Government Tax and 10% Service Charge.

As you would have observed, the neighboring Seminyak area offers a choice of popular independent restaurants, which add to the wide dining options available to our guests. Therefore, at the Kura-Kura restaurant for dinner, we aim to meet the need of our guests looking for a fine-dining experience instead of a casual restaurant, with extensive selection of three different cuisines : Continental, Indonesian and Indian.

We share your concern about the impact of tourism development on Bali’s environment. All over the island of Bali natural waterways carry exess rainfall and irrigation water from paddy fields to the ocean. On Seminyak beach there are three such natural waterways, one of which flows just outside the northern boundary of The Oberoi, Bali past a neighboring restaurant. Before reaching the ocean, this waterway flows along the Jalan Kayu Aya, also known as the ‘Eat Street’ with many popular restaurants and shops. The local Government is already laying sewage collection pipe work in south Bali, which has just started at the north end of Jalan Kayu Aya. Once completed, all sewage is planned to be brought to a central public Sewage Treatment Plant facility in south Bali.

Email : kamal.kaul@oberoihotels.com
Vashon, Washington
Reviewed January 2, 2011

“May I clean your sunglasses, madam?
When I walked toward the sunloungers surrounding the Oberoi’s main pool, an attendant sprang toward the nearest vacant chair, covered it with a fresh white towel and placed a box of complimentary sunscreen, bottled water and a mister on the stand next to the umbrella. I fished my novel out of the string beach bag supplied in our room, read for a few minutes and promptly dozed off in the luxuriant sauna-like heat to the sound of the surf beating on Seminyak Beach. However the evident sorry state of my eyewear was cause for concern by the Oberoi’s highly attentive staff. No sooner were my Ray Bans returned to pristine condition than another attendant came around with grilled vegetables on skewers for all of us poolside layabouts, in case the exertion of turning over and applying sunscreen had rendered us famished a whole two hours after a sumptuous breakfast in the hotel restaurant.
My husband and I arrived at the Oberoi at around 10:00 AM. Knowing we were too early to check in, we were hoping to simply leave our bags at the counter and take a stroll through the boutiques of Seminyak. The front office staff were so horrified at their “mistake,” however, that they insisted on plying us with delicious nonalcoholic mojitos in the entrance hall until our room was put together, even though we kept protesting that it was no problem and we were well aware we were early.
After we were escorted through the beautiful parklike grounds to our room, the staff member showed us around the Lanai room. We had an immense marble bathroom with a sunken tub, a large armoire a king-sized bed, television, sitting area, and a private patio surrounded by stone walls and flowering hibiscus and heliconia. Best of all was the small courtyard garden off the bathroom – a lush tropical jungle surrounding a mossy stone carving we nicknamed “Stitch” for his resemblance to the Disney character.
In addition to the beach bag, the hotel supplied slippers, thick robes, insect repellent (which we didn’t need) complimentary bottles of water and bath salts and scented candles that were replaced at the slightest use. Plates of fresh fruit were brought in every morning, along with the International Herald Tribune.
As we settled in to the room I discovered next to the “no tipping” sign a lovely handwritten note from the manager apologizing profusely for the “delay” in our room availability. I’ve saved it and have it pinned to my bulletin board at home so I can look wistfully at it every time I’m put on hold or treated rudely by a business.
My fiftieth birthday fell during our stay. I had studied my guidebook and the Internet (the hotel offers complimentary wi-fi on the grounds and fee-based wi-fi inside the rooms), but couldn’t find a restaurant that seemed as attractive as the Oberoi’s, so we booked there for my birthday dinner. As we were sipping cocktails in the open-air bar prior to the meal, I suddenly realized that because we were on the opposite side of the International Date Line from my birthplace in the United States, I was technically not yet fifty. After the second giant coconut-shell drink, however, I decided that the Oberoi made aging one day faster well worth it.
My birthday dinner, as well as several others we ate at the hotel, was sublime. They have marvelous Japanese as well as Indonesian cuisine, and the sashimi was absolutely first-rate. I’m not easy to satisfy in that regard as my Seattle home is blessed with some of the world’s best seafood, but the Oberoi more than exceeded my exacting standards. I would have liked to have had more wine with the dinners, but it is breathtakingly expensive on Bali (everywhere we looked, not the Oberoi’s doing) so we settled for an “interesting” Balinese chardonnay one night and then stuck to the excellent Bintang beer.
When we returned to the room after my birthday dinner we discovered that the hotel had sent a cake and an immense bouquet of flowers with a card wishing my happy birthday. The cake, made of a sort of passionfruit crème, was delicious, by the way.
The Oberoi is conveniently located for exploring the Seminyak area on foot, and we enjoyed poking around the nearby shops. We also walked next door to the Ku de Ta nightclub for drinks and music and to watch the sunset and the people. No noise from the nightclub or any of the activities on nearby Kuta Beach filtered back to the Oberoi, however, which remained a hushed haven day and night.
One day we had the concierge book a car and driver to take us to the Pura Tanah Lot temple about 45 minutes away. We had a great morning there, and the driver was helpful and knowledgeable. Being fairly quiet types we were especially appreciative that he did not try to take us on detours to shops, as we were put off by this sort of pressure at other times on Bali. He was happy to answer our questions about things we saw along the way and volunteered to stop whenever we wanted for photo opportunities.
At the end of our stay the hotel put on a performance of the traditional Ramayana dance. Originally set to take place in the Oberoi’s small outdoor amphitheatre, it was moved to the restaurant due to rain. This change turned out to make an even better experience, as the twenty or so guests watching the show were seated only a few feet from the performers. While the gamelan orchestra tinkled away behind the maitre-d’s stand, I thought back to a scene we’d noticed in the lobby when we arrived: A British couple was chatting with the hostess, who told them how happy the hotel was that the couple were returning to their “real home” after 30 years. As the gold-encrusted dancers turned and swayed gracefully to the music, I vowed that we, too, would return to this “real home” for the next special occasion in our lives. Even if it does wind up being a day early.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank schippk
Oberoi_Bali, General Manager at The Oberoi Bali, responded to this review, January 17, 2011
Dear Guest,

We are delighted to note that you have enjoyed your stay and that all services and facilities offered by the hotel were to your entire satisfaction. I have shared with my team your observations of our detailed services as an encouragement for them to keep trying to exceed our guests’ expectations.

Myself and my entire team would like to thank you for giving us the opportunity of being of service to you during your recent visit to Bali.

Email : kamal.kaul@oberoihotels.com