“Very welcoming place!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #12 of 142 Hotels in Seminyak
Chicago
“Very welcoming place!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2014

My husband and I spent 3 nights at the Oberoi while on our honeymoon 2 weeks ago. The General Manager, John, made our stay very memorable and he really went above and beyond to make sure we had a wonderful time! He honestly cares about making sure his guests enjoy their stay to the fullest! A big thank you for the room with the pool and the private dinner on the terrace on our first night - it was just what we needed after a long day of travel.

The service at this hotel is amazing. We weren't big fans of Seminyak in general as the public beaches were very dirty, but the Oberoi did a great job of keeping their beach clean, the service at the pool during the day may be the best we've ever experienced and the food is excellent! Chef Enrico gave us some special courses on our last night and being from Chicago, we are big on food....and it's excellent here. We usually don't eat at the resorts much during our stays, but the food here was too good to pass up. The cocktail hour that John and the staff hosted for all of the guests one night was really special as well. It really brought everyone together and gave us a chance to meet some people and get to know some of the lovely staff.

Seminyak may not be up everyone's alley as it is very crowded and busy, but this resort is a wonderful retreat from that and everyone was so welcoming that we truly hated to leave. We hope to see John and the rest of his staff again some day.

Room Tip: This place is located right on the beach so you can hear the waves rolling in at night, simply wonde...
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Oberoi_Bali, General Manager at The Oberoi Bali, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
6/3/14

Dear Chicago Michelle2,

Thank you very much for posting your review on Trip Advisor after your visit to The Oberoi, Bali.

I am delighted to note that you have enjoyed your visit here and that the gardens, services, quality of accommodation, location and Balinese atmosphere have been enjoyed by you.

It is a shame that bad weather had caused lots of debris from the ocean to wash ashore all along Seminyak beach during the course of your stay. I assure you that Seminyak beach is not always like this. The normally debris-free stretch of Seminyak Beach began to experience rubbish washing ashore during the Christmas New Year period. We have had very heavy rains and stormy seas resulting in lots of unwanted debris washing ashore. All beaches in Indonesia are public property and difficult to control from a single hotel. The pollution of Indonesia's beaches is national concern and we are at the forefront of educating the community and cleaning beaches on this island. I am very sorry that the beach was in such a state during your visit.

Thank you for having stayed with us, and we all look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to The Oberoi, Bali.

Email : john.halpin@oberoihotels.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (315)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Perth Western Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2014

This was our fourth stay at The Oberoi and, as always, it was fabulous!
From the moment we met at the airport we were made to feel like family even being given the same Lanai as on our previous stays!!
The service in all parts of the hotel was exceptional and the attention to detail faultless.
it is amazing how quickly the stresses of everyday life as soon as we arrive at The Oberoi and you feel like you have been on holiday for ever!!

This is due in NO small part to John and his team to whom I say a very big thank you for amking our holiday special once again.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are fantastic.
2 Thank MelGeorge
Oberoi_Bali, General Manager at The Oberoi Bali, responded to this review, March 2, 2014
3/3/2014.

Dear MelGeorge,

Myself and the entire team are delighted to note that you have enjoyed your visit to The Oberoi, Bali and that you have enjoyed the level of service provided by our warm Balinese staff.

Thank you for having stayed with us, and we all look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to The Oberoi, Bali once again.

Norwalk, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2014

Beyond my expectations for five star. I travel throughout Asia regularly staying at top 5 star hotels in China, HK, and S'pore. I've been fortunate to have been going to luxury resorts all my life.

I had thought this level of luxury was gone 20 years ago but the attentiveness, friendliness, and personability of the Oberoi staff reassured me it was still alive. The rooms are traditional, not old or dated, and the grounds are out of a story book. Reminds me of my first trips to Bali 20+ years ago.

The Chefs Favorite breakfast was amazing and the restaurants delivered quality and ambiance at every meal. Go, don't wait.

Room Tip: The "Lanai" Rooms are pretty much half or quarter of a villa, lots of privacy and gorgeous...
2 Thank FriarRTuck
Oberoi_Bali, General Manager at The Oberoi Bali, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
26/2/2014.

Dear FriarRTuck,

Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor after your visit to The Oberoi, Bali.

I am delighted to note that you have enjoyed your visit here and that you have enjoyed your stay at The Oberoi, Bali.

Thank you for having stayed with us, and we all look forward to the opportunity of again welcoming you back to The Oberoi, Bali.

Shanghai, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2014

I reviewed the Oberoi after last year's stay, but am writing up my most recent visit because the hotel somehow managed to be even better this time around. For those unfamiliar with Bali, I'll first provide some background on the island's different beach areas, before getting to the hotel itself.

General Bali information:
Denpasar's new international airport opened late last year, and it still working out the kinks. The long visa-on-arrival lines seem to have carried over from the old airport to the new one. Especially if you're traveling with young children, I highly recommend getting your visa in advance and avoiding what may well be a lengthy wait on arrival. On the plus side, the new toll highway has eased some of the traffic congestion in the southern part of the island, and shaved 15-20 minutes off travel times between the airport and both Seminyak and Ubud. Depending on traffic, plan on about 45 minutes between the airport and Seminyak, and about an hour between the airport and Ubud.

Bali's beaches:
In general, I don't think fantastic beaches figure high on the list of Bali's many charms. The beach areas each have very different characters. Kuta is a fantastic wide sandy beach, but is crowded, overdeveloped, and features hot-and-cold-running tour groups. Depending on the resort, Nusa Dua has reasonable stretches of sandy beach that are good for swimming, but you're in a relatively artificial planned resort neighborhood. Nusa Dua is great if you want to park yourself in a big, integrated resort with activities for children, but isn't ideal if you want to get out and around to feel the texture of the island itself. Sanur is an older resort area with smaller hotels and an offshore reef that helps keep the water calm for swimming, but stretches of the beach are narrow and rocky. Since the 90s, Seminyak/Legian has emerged as the island's most fashionable beach area, but the beach itself is only mediocre at best. The sand is dark and firm, and the beach is quite narrow at high tide. In the winter, at least, the surf makes it hazardous to swim. For whatever reason, the beach also tends to be littered with trash and debris - I believe it depends on currents and the weather. Some of the resorts, and the Oberoi is definitely one of them, clean up their sections of the beach. In other areas, however, you may well be weaving through a fair amount of plastic embedded in the sand. Seiminyak is an attractive spot, but it's not the place to go if you want to feel the sand between your toes and plop down into a beach lounger under a palm tree.

Seminyak is, however, an excellent choice for those interested in some of Bali's best shopping, food, and nightlife. The Oberoi is the dowager of the neighborhood, and as I noted in my last review, has been updated beautifully. In contrast to newer resorts, which try to cram as many rooms as possible into Bali's dwindling beachfront, the Oberoi is all on one level, and blessed with an abundance of garden and open space.

The hotel is designed in traditional Balinese style, and rooms are either individual villas or lanais. We have stayed in Villa 206, which is a small compound with ocean views and a comfortable private pool, and this year, in Villa 201, which does not have sea views or a pool, but like the other villas has a walled-in private patio in the rear, and in the front has a view of open garden. Villas feature a large main room, as well as big bathrooms with a tub, shower, twin sinks, and a small outdoor area. The patios have chaises longues and separate seating areas. 201 is close to the entrance, and there's a slight amount of traffic noise, which wasn't distracting to me.

I've also stayed in the lanais, and you're definitely not slumming if you're in a basic room. - they're just a bit smaller. My lanai had an outdoor seating area, as well as an ocean view. Some of the lanais are closer to the pool, and there's a bit of pedestrian traffic from other guests, so they may not feel quite as private as the villas or more secluded lanais.

This year, we got a rate that included breakfast, and it was outstanding. Weather permitting, breakfast is served at outdoor tables overlooking the beach. Instead of the typical buffet, there's an extensive a la carte selection. I especially liked the daily specials, which often included an Indonesian option. Everything was of uniformly high quality.

Seminyak is littered with good restaurants, and we weren't originally planning to have dinner at the hotel - but are very glad we did. The Kura-Kura dining room is a bit formal, without feeling fusty, and the menu includes a daily three-course special that comes in at under $40 U.S., as well as many other Western and local choices. In addition to being a great value, the quality of the food compares well to what's on offer elsewhere in the neighborhood.

The Oberoi's service is another standout: attentive and detail-oriented without feeling fussy. Staff address guests by name, and really appear to care about their work. As an American, I'm comfortable with tipping, but the hotel does not encourage gratuities - a policy that has no apparent effect on the staff's gracious professionalism. John Halpin, the general manager, pays enormous attention to detail, and his efforts really pay off in the fluid service and seamless arrangements.

The hotel seems to draw guests from all over the world, with no one region or country predominating. Most are middle-aged or older couples, as well as a smattering of families. The Oberoi is not the place to stay if you're interested in a happening lobby or poolside scene - instead of guest DJs, there are Balinese dances and cultural performances. Everything is quiet, discreet, and slightly "retro" in the best possible way.

Seminyak has a clutch of flashier new beach resorts. I've enjoyed stays at a couple of them, but was drawn back to the Oberoi. Some of the newer places are like the alluring young woman with the plunging neckline who first attracts your attention at a party, until you find yourself drawn back to the elegant lady with the thoughtful conversation and an interesting story to tell: she's the Oberoi, and somehow you want to spend more time with her.

20 Thank ShiMoke
Oberoi_Bali, General Manager at The Oberoi Bali, responded to this review, February 23, 2014
24/2/14.

Dear ShiMoke,

Thank you for posting such a thorough review on Trip Advisor after your visit to The Oberoi, Bali.

I am delighted to note that you have enjoyed your visit here and that you have enjoyed the traditional architecture, location, warm Balinese staff, services, and setting here at The Oberoi, Bali. I am happy to note that our location on the beach has also been enjoyed by you.

Bengaluru, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2014

The stunning beachfront location of The Oberoi resort, combined with comfortable rooms in charming Balinese style villas is beautiful! The exceptional service made our stay extra enjoyable and memorable!

• 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Ize88
24/2/14.

Dear Ize88,

We are delighted that you have enjoyed your visit to The Oberoi, Bali.

Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2014

For the second time this year I stayed at the Oberoi Seminyak Bali.
First was in June, last in Dec.
First impression was excellent. Second one confirmed and positively overcame expectations.

From the smooth booking process, kind reconfirmation and final arrangement airport pick up, prep work was perfect.
As usual, on arrival my family and I (we book two rooms for New Year) were warmly welcomed by the extremely cheerful and professional staff. The front office staff even apologized for not being able to upgrade me!
After being escorted to our room we were delighted to discover that we had been given communicating room anticipating our demand.
As usual at Oberoi Seminyak Bali staff is courteous, polite, and extremely delicate when addressing clients. It always does its best to bring you the most of your experience in Bali and accommodate your special needs. I had the pleasure to notice that the breakfast maître d’hôtel recognized me 6 months after my first stay and addressed me a warm “welcome back Sir”.
The main difference between Oberoi Seminyak Bali and most of the finest hotels I staid to is SERVICE. All top range hotels offer fine accommodations, fluffy towels and flowers in the room (actually not all of them) thus I'll not comment in details all these basics. But when it’s time to rate a luxury place, service is key and makes the difference between very good and extreme refinement and service. This is what minded people expect. This is what they reward.
Friendly without being familiar, dedicated but not obsequious, the Oberoi Seminyak Bali staff handles with extreme dexterity finest rules about education and client management. Lots of hotel should get some inspiration from this place!
Thank you to all Oberoi Bali staff and to its General Manager we had the pleasure to be introduced to for keeping this unique place to such high standards.
I could not recommend any other place in Bali to stay.
This is definitely the best service I ever experienced. Well above most other brands, well above stars…

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank RatatouilleFromParis
24/2/2014

Dear Ratatouille,

Myself and the entire team are delighted to note that you have enjoyed your second visit to The Oberoi, Bali and that you have enjoyed the level of service provided by our warm Balinese staff.

miami
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2014

I travel on business to Bali 4 to 5 times a year. Have stayed at Oberoi the past 3 times. Honestly there isn't a better hotel Bali and I'd rate it in the top 5 hotels in a beach setting in Asia. The entire staff goes way out of there way to be sure the smallest detail is attended to. John Halpin , the general manager , is really on top of his game...

Room Tip: No bad rooms...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank bengebrets
Oberoi_Bali, General Manager at The Oberoi Bali, responded to this review, February 11, 2014
12/2/2014

Dear Bengebrets,

I am delighted to note that you have enjoyed your visit here once again.

Thank you for having stayed with us. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Oberoi, Bali.