“One of the most distinctive resorts in Bali”
Review of The Oberoi Bali

The Oberoi Bali
Ranked #11 of 148 Hotels in Seminyak
Reviewed February 15, 2014

I reviewed the Oberoi after last year's stay, but am writing up my most recent visit because the hotel somehow managed to be even better this time around. For those unfamiliar with Bali, I'll first provide some background on the island's different beach areas, before getting to the hotel itself.

General Bali information:
Denpasar's new international airport opened late last year, and it still working out the kinks. The long visa-on-arrival lines seem to have carried over from the old airport to the new one. Especially if you're traveling with young children, I highly recommend getting your visa in advance and avoiding what may well be a lengthy wait on arrival. On the plus side, the new toll highway has eased some of the traffic congestion in the southern part of the island, and shaved 15-20 minutes off travel times between the airport and both Seminyak and Ubud. Depending on traffic, plan on about 45 minutes between the airport and Seminyak, and about an hour between the airport and Ubud.

Bali's beaches:
In general, I don't think fantastic beaches figure high on the list of Bali's many charms. The beach areas each have very different characters. Kuta is a fantastic wide sandy beach, but is crowded, overdeveloped, and features hot-and-cold-running tour groups. Depending on the resort, Nusa Dua has reasonable stretches of sandy beach that are good for swimming, but you're in a relatively artificial planned resort neighborhood. Nusa Dua is great if you want to park yourself in a big, integrated resort with activities for children, but isn't ideal if you want to get out and around to feel the texture of the island itself. Sanur is an older resort area with smaller hotels and an offshore reef that helps keep the water calm for swimming, but stretches of the beach are narrow and rocky. Since the 90s, Seminyak/Legian has emerged as the island's most fashionable beach area, but the beach itself is only mediocre at best. The sand is dark and firm, and the beach is quite narrow at high tide. In the winter, at least, the surf makes it hazardous to swim. For whatever reason, the beach also tends to be littered with trash and debris - I believe it depends on currents and the weather. Some of the resorts, and the Oberoi is definitely one of them, clean up their sections of the beach. In other areas, however, you may well be weaving through a fair amount of plastic embedded in the sand. Seiminyak is an attractive spot, but it's not the place to go if you want to feel the sand between your toes and plop down into a beach lounger under a palm tree.

Seminyak is, however, an excellent choice for those interested in some of Bali's best shopping, food, and nightlife. The Oberoi is the dowager of the neighborhood, and as I noted in my last review, has been updated beautifully. In contrast to newer resorts, which try to cram as many rooms as possible into Bali's dwindling beachfront, the Oberoi is all on one level, and blessed with an abundance of garden and open space.

The hotel is designed in traditional Balinese style, and rooms are either individual villas or lanais. We have stayed in Villa 206, which is a small compound with ocean views and a comfortable private pool, and this year, in Villa 201, which does not have sea views or a pool, but like the other villas has a walled-in private patio in the rear, and in the front has a view of open garden. Villas feature a large main room, as well as big bathrooms with a tub, shower, twin sinks, and a small outdoor area. The patios have chaises longues and separate seating areas. 201 is close to the entrance, and there's a slight amount of traffic noise, which wasn't distracting to me.

I've also stayed in the lanais, and you're definitely not slumming if you're in a basic room. - they're just a bit smaller. My lanai had an outdoor seating area, as well as an ocean view. Some of the lanais are closer to the pool, and there's a bit of pedestrian traffic from other guests, so they may not feel quite as private as the villas or more secluded lanais.

This year, we got a rate that included breakfast, and it was outstanding. Weather permitting, breakfast is served at outdoor tables overlooking the beach. Instead of the typical buffet, there's an extensive a la carte selection. I especially liked the daily specials, which often included an Indonesian option. Everything was of uniformly high quality.

Seminyak is littered with good restaurants, and we weren't originally planning to have dinner at the hotel - but are very glad we did. The Kura-Kura dining room is a bit formal, without feeling fusty, and the menu includes a daily three-course special that comes in at under $40 U.S., as well as many other Western and local choices. In addition to being a great value, the quality of the food compares well to what's on offer elsewhere in the neighborhood.

The Oberoi's service is another standout: attentive and detail-oriented without feeling fussy. Staff address guests by name, and really appear to care about their work. As an American, I'm comfortable with tipping, but the hotel does not encourage gratuities - a policy that has no apparent effect on the staff's gracious professionalism. John Halpin, the general manager, pays enormous attention to detail, and his efforts really pay off in the fluid service and seamless arrangements.

The hotel seems to draw guests from all over the world, with no one region or country predominating. Most are middle-aged or older couples, as well as a smattering of families. The Oberoi is not the place to stay if you're interested in a happening lobby or poolside scene - instead of guest DJs, there are Balinese dances and cultural performances. Everything is quiet, discreet, and slightly "retro" in the best possible way.

Seminyak has a clutch of flashier new beach resorts. I've enjoyed stays at a couple of them, but was drawn back to the Oberoi. Some of the newer places are like the alluring young woman with the plunging neckline who first attracts your attention at a party, until you find yourself drawn back to the elegant lady with the thoughtful conversation and an interesting story to tell: she's the Oberoi, and somehow you want to spend more time with her.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
20  Thank ShiMoke
Oberoi_Bali, General Manager at The Oberoi Bali, responded to this reviewResponded February 23, 2014

24/2/14.

Dear ShiMoke,

Thank you for posting such a thorough review on Trip Advisor after your visit to The Oberoi, Bali.

I am delighted to note that you have enjoyed your visit here and that you have enjoyed the traditional architecture, location, warm Balinese staff, services, and setting here at The Oberoi, Bali. I am happy to note that our location on the beach has also been enjoyed by you.

Thank you for having stayed with us, and we all look forward to the opportunity of again welcoming you back to The Oberoi, Bali.

Email : john.halpin@oberoihotels.com

Write a ReviewReviews (1,719)

Reviewed February 12, 2014

The stunning beachfront location of The Oberoi resort, combined with comfortable rooms in charming Balinese style villas is beautiful! The exceptional service made our stay extra enjoyable and memorable!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ize88

24/2/14.

Dear Ize88,

Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor after your visit to The Oberoi, Bali.

We are delighted that you have enjoyed your visit to The Oberoi, Bali.

Reviewed February 9, 2014

For the second time this year I stayed at the Oberoi Seminyak Bali.
First was in June, last in Dec.
First impression was excellent. Second one confirmed and positively overcame expectations.

From the smooth booking process, kind reconfirmation and final arrangement airport pick up, prep work was perfect.
As usual, on arrival my family and I (we book two rooms for New Year) were warmly welcomed by the extremely cheerful and professional staff. The front office staff even apologized for not being able to upgrade me!
After being escorted to our room we were delighted to discover that we had been given communicating room anticipating our demand.
As usual at Oberoi Seminyak Bali staff is courteous, polite, and extremely delicate when addressing clients. It always does its best to bring you the most of your experience in Bali and accommodate your special needs. I had the pleasure to notice that the breakfast maître d’hôtel recognized me 6 months after my first stay and addressed me a warm “welcome back Sir”.
The main difference between Oberoi Seminyak Bali and most of the finest hotels I staid to is SERVICE. All top range hotels offer fine accommodations, fluffy towels and flowers in the room (actually not all of them) thus I'll not comment in details all these basics. But when it’s time to rate a luxury place, service is key and makes the difference between very good and extreme refinement and service. This is what minded people expect. This is what they reward.
Friendly without being familiar, dedicated but not obsequious, the Oberoi Seminyak Bali staff handles with extreme dexterity finest rules about education and client management. Lots of hotel should get some inspiration from this place!
Thank you to all Oberoi Bali staff and to its General Manager we had the pleasure to be introduced to for keeping this unique place to such high standards.
I could not recommend any other place in Bali to stay.
This is definitely the best service I ever experienced. Well above most other brands, well above stars…

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank RatatouilleFromParis

24/2/2014

Dear Ratatouille,

Thank you very much for posting your review on Trip Advisor after your visit to The Oberoi, Bali.

Myself and the entire team are delighted to note that you have enjoyed your second visit to The Oberoi, Bali and that you have enjoyed the level of service provided by our warm Balinese staff.

Thank you for having stayed with us, and we all look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to The Oberoi, Bali once again.

Reviewed February 5, 2014

I travel on business to Bali 4 to 5 times a year. Have stayed at Oberoi the past 3 times. Honestly there isn't a better hotel Bali and I'd rate it in the top 5 hotels in a beach setting in Asia. The entire staff goes way out of there way to be sure the smallest detail is attended to. John Halpin , the general manager , is really on top of his game...

Room Tip: No bad rooms...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank bengebrets
Oberoi_Bali, General Manager at The Oberoi Bali, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2014

12/2/2014

Dear Bengebrets,

I am delighted to note that you have enjoyed your visit here once again.

Thank you for having stayed with us. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Oberoi, Bali.

Reviewed February 4, 2014

We stayed Oberoi in Bali for three nights about 1 year ago, so this is review is a bit dated, but the experience was good and worth sharing.

The Oberoi is located in Seminyak, which is a pretty bustling town on Bali, but its at the corner of a large road, so the property itself is quiet and has a nice stretch of beach. We stayed at a large villa with a nice outdoor dining area, which would be great during dry season (we went during rainy season and didn't get any use out of it).

The rooms are large and well-appointed, though be aware that given the location, it can have many bugs outside - opening doors and windows for any extended period of time come with great risk!

The hotel as a nice pool with a good view of the beach and very helpful staff for any requests in room and around the premise.

Given the nice central location in Seminyak, it is also easy to walk to little street markets, boutique shops and restaurants, all within a nice 10 minute radius.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Oberoi_Bali, General Manager at The Oberoi Bali, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2014

Dear Ken JNY,

I am delighted to note that you were compelled to post a review after visitng one year back. I am very sorry that you did not get to enjoy the outdoor dining area. You must have visited during an unusual stretch of continuous rain. The normal weather pattern in the wet season is, usually sunny mornings, with clouds and rain later in the afternoon usually followed by cooler weather in the early evening. Indeed as you have mentioned our tropical location 8° South of the equator is the perfect environment for holiday makers and tropical Flora and fauna.

Thank you for having stayed with us, and we all look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to The Oberoi, Bali again one day.

Reviewed January 30, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at The Oberoi in Seminyak. We had never bern to Seminyak we usually stay in Sanur and altho we would probably go back to Sanur ...our stay at The Oberoi was magical we had a bit of a drama before we left WA and needed to chill out... this hotel had every thing we needed ..Beautiful room actually more than that really stunning the staff and management were fantastic service great. Such a shame about the rubbish along the beach..not at the Oberoi they clean their beach. But the government need to do something. ..if they want tourists to continue to visit. But I would definately recommend tgw The Oberoi

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank janCarnarvonwa

Dear JanCarnarvonwa,

I am delighted to read that you have enjoyed your visit to The Oberoi, Bali that the services, quality of accommodation, cuisine, and location have been enjoyed by you.

I am sorry to note that the beach was polluted during your visit. Seminyak beach is not always as dirty as you experienced on this visit. The normally debris-free stretch of Seminyak Beach began to experience rubbish washing ashore around the New Year. Heavy rains and stormy seas cause debris from rivers to wash out to the sea and wash onto Bali's beaches. The Oberoi, Bali has employed a full time cleanup crew to clean the debris from the beach every day. I have also required every staff member to join in our weekly Friday morning cleanups in an effort to ensure everyone working at The Oberoi, Bali knows what a crime it is to pollute. We will continue our efforts to lobby the government for change, educate, preserve and protect this beach. We are also very active in a turtle conservation programme. Sea turtles land on Seminyak beach from May to October and lay their eggs. We harvest and protect the eggs and then release them when they hatch. Our efforts increase their chances of survival. All beaches in Indonesia are public property and therefore difficult to control from a single hotel. The pollution of Indonesia's beaches is indeed a problem and we are at the forefront of educating the community and cleaning beaches on this island. I am very sorry that the beach was in such a state during your visit.

Thank you for having stayed with us, and we all look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to The Oberoi, Bali.

Reviewed January 21, 2014

Idyllic beachfront setting of thatched private villas set amongst beautifully laid out gardens with some classic Balinese courtyard settings and water features. Superb individualized service from start to finish. Great facilities, pool and restaurant. So quiet, except the sound of the waves on the long golden beach : -) One of the few places in the south where the word "Paradise" can be justifiably used. And yet, just a few steps from the entrance one is so close to the hustle and bustle of vibrant, up-end Seminyak.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Oberoi_Bali, General Manager at The Oberoi Bali, responded to this reviewResponded January 26, 2014

Dear Peter L,

I am delighted to note that you have enjoyed your visit here and that the gardens, services, quality of accommodation, location and Balinese atmosphere have been enjoyed by you.