“Pure paradise & perfectly located for exploring”
Review of The Oberoi Bali

The Oberoi Bali
Ranked #10 of 144 Hotels in Seminyak
Brisbane, Australia
“Pure paradise & perfectly located for exploring”
Reviewed October 5, 2012

After escaping from our previous hotel, these guys were just wonderful and as we'd previously stayed at the Oberoi Lombok, they pulled out all stops to get us out of a major quandary. We stayed in a garden villa, which was a little away from everything, which we loved - there is only 70 odd rooms here so it is the epitome of understated luxury - could of stayed there forever.

The location of the hotel is perfect as it only about 10 minutes walk to the shops/cafes/restaurants of Seminyak so you can pick the best of both worlds and is right on Seminyak beach. Far enough away not be noisy and busy but close enough to get there.

You cannot fault the food, service, location, staff - I'd lost my 'everyday' watch and the staff tracked it down to our previous hotel (The Oberoi, Lombok) and within 24 hours had my watch back - nothing was ever too much trouble and I would not hestitate to go back there in heartbeat.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Annie T
Oberoi_Bali, General Manager at The Oberoi Bali, responded to this review, October 7, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor after your recent visit to The Oberoi, Bali.

I am delighted to note that you enjoyed your stay with us and the warm and friendly Balinese staff, environment, style and setting of The Oberoi, Bali and the quality of food met your expectations. I was also pleased that we were able to find and return your watch to you .

Email : john.halpin@oberoihotels.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (322)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 4, 2012

My husband and i booked to stay here for 12 nights of our honeymoon based on a reccomendation from our travel agents. I looked through the reviews on here and felt confident we'd like it...

From the airport arrival (we booked airport pickup) which provided ice cold water for the journey, immaculate service of the staff, the location, afternoon tea, breakfast delivered to your room (if you ask), complimentary water...just everything was more than we could've asked for. Every single memeber of their staff works hard and is a true reflection of the quality of this hotel.

We stayed in a Lanai with garden view which was a great room and had everything you could need (plug adaptors, insect repellent, beach bag...). I do wish we'd had a ocean view or, as honeymooners, maybe been upgraded rooms, but our room was really amazing. It felt like we were staying in Bali, rather than feeling like a generic hotel that could've been anywhere in the world.

The downside is the price of everything in the hotel. Wine in particular is much more expensive than in the bars/restaurants within walking distance. We were told Bali is really cheap and I think at the Oberoi you pay for the quality of service you get. The wine might be more expensive, but when you don't have to move from the sunlounger to order a glass...we didn't mind.

Overall, i would reccomend this hotel to anyone visiting Bali. If it wasn't so far away from home (London), i'd go back every year.

2 Thank Chloe O
Oberoi_Bali, General Manager at The Oberoi Bali, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review on Trip Advisor after your recent visit to the island of the gods, and The Oberoi, Bali.

We appreciate you taking your valuable time to post your review on Trip Advisor.

We were delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We agree with you that wine prices here are outrageously priced compared to prices in Europe. The Indonesian government subjects imported Wines to extremely high taxes and import duties. Our prices look higher than you may see outside, but in comparison, we include the 21% tax and service charge in our price. Most businesses add 21% tax and service charge on top of published prices.

Once again thank you for sharing your valuable TripAdvisor comment. Thank you for staying with us, and look forward to the opportunity of one day again welcoming you back to The Oberoi, Bali.

KarenandScott
Reviewed September 27, 2012

The property itself is remarkably beautiful. Really, really beautiful. The bed a bit difficult if you are not really tall because it is surrounded by wood so you have to really climb on it. But, there are some really weird things about the hotel .... for example one night we finally had gotten over our jet lag and gone to sleep and nobody had checked the batteries on the fire alarm we were awakened by that buzzing sound which drove us totally crazy. When we told the hotel about the problem nobody seemed concerned at all. On the first day we got to our room and went into the mini bar and we found partially eaten candy bars and told the hotel (I mean really: in a five star hotel?). Or tonight housekeeping never brought back our coffee maker we called for one and got an elaborate coffee service with biscotti etc .... when I saw the bill I said: "wait all we wanted was the coffee maker back" so the guy left and did not leave the coffee maker etc ... but said he would be back later .... Then there is the constant ringing of doorbells by staff "do not disturb" (as in our annual vacation and second honeymoon means just that --- do not disturb)
The pool is only open until 7 PM which is really a drag when you pay to be able to swim etc. .... The room is okay. Not spectacular ... it is okay ... but, it seems silly when there are so many little things that are wrong. We debated staying here or at the four seasons we ought to have stayed at the Four Seasons

Room Tip: The rooms are all lanai rooms and the same from what I can see ....
4 Thank KarenandScott
Oberoi_Bali, General Manager at The Oberoi Bali, responded to this review, September 30, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review on Trip Advisor after your recent visit at The Oberoi, Bali.

I was sorry to read you felt our team was not apologetic enough about the battery needing replacing in your room smoke alarm. As soon as you were out of your room the next day, the engineers went to your room to replace the alarm with a fresh battery. I not sure how someone could 'check' the batteries in advance. I am sure that you can appreciate Bali's fragile eco system would not allow for wasteful disposal of batteries. I am sorry that this woke you up one evening.

I was very sorry to read that you found partially eaten candy bars in your minibar. This is unacceptable and I will take necessary remedial action with the team. Our swimming pool does close after 7PM for safety reasons. Your coffee maker was not replaced as you had indicated "Do Not Disturb" on your room. I apologise that the staff member you spoke with did fully understand what you wanted. I hope that you enjoyed your coffee with biscotti and that it was removed from your bill.

Please accept my sincere thanks for your frank feedback and identifying areas where improvements can be made. Thankfully, the majority of the feedback we receive is extremely positive. I was sorry to read that your experience was contrary to most of the reviews and guest feedback we receive. I assure you we will always take guest comments extremely seriously and ensure concerned team members are retrained to improve our overall guests experience. I do apologize for the inconveniences which have occurred during your stay.

Oklahoma City
Reviewed September 24, 2012

My 14 year old son and I stayed at the Oberoi for two nights as part of a 3 week trip through the natural and cultural highlights of the Indonesian archipelago, from Sumatra through Sulawesi. We covered a lot of territory, and the Oberoi was the loveliest of the hotels where we stayed. On arrival, we received an immediate upgrade to a garden villa for no special reason. The service was professional, attentive, and very gracious. The suite was stunning, from the beautiful traditional carvings in the bedroom to the luxurious spa-like bathroom and from the outdoor eating area to our own private plunge pool. We made use of the business center with all Apple equipment, pool, water sports, and the lighted tennis courts with complimentary Babolat racquets, and all the facilities were top notch. Wish we could have stayed longer.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank alexikeguchi
Oberoi_Bali, General Manager at The Oberoi Bali, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review on Trip Advisor after your recent visit to the Indonesian archipelago and here at to The Oberoi, Bali.

I am delighted to note that you and your son have enjoyed your stay with us. I am pleased to know that you found the warm and friendly Balinese staff, setting and style of the resort has met with your expectations.

Thank you for staying with us, and look forward to the opportunity of again welcoming you back to The Oberoi, Bali. Next time we hope you can stay longer as well!

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed September 19, 2012

My wife and I recently celebrated our 1 year anniversary at the Oberoi and stayed for 4 nights. We booked a garden view Lanai Room but were upgraded to a sea view room which was great.

The room itself was nice, the king sized bed and quality of bedding was superb and we slept very well each night. The bathroom was luxurious and well appointed.

We spent every day watching the surf and generally relaxing. The quality of service at the hotel was second to none. As soon as you approach a sun lounger, a friendly face will prepare it with towels and bring out mineral water and sun cream. Despite having stayed at a number of 5 star resorts in Bali, this was one of the first that provided unlimited free mineral water.

The Oberoi obviously work very hard on their image and the training of their staff, nothing was too much to ask for, and every single member of staff we met greeted us and smiled, a simply but extremely effective touch. On the final day, we had a late flight, so checked out and lazed by the pool. I enquired where we could get a shower prior to leaving for the airports, and we were giving a new room to shower and get ready in. Again a really nice touch. Similarly on the day of our wedding anniversary we came back to our room and were greeted by flowers, a cake and a card from the GM, again small details that have a big impact.

No doubt the hotel is expensive, but the level of service is far above that of a traditional 5 star resort such as Hyatt/Hilton etc where you can feel like you are simply one of hundreds of guests. I would certainly recommend the hotel and we will no doubt be back at some stage.

Lastly with regards to location, the Oberoi is perfectly situated. The beach is clean and the surf isn’t too rough (allowing beginners to surf and body board without too much risk). The restaurants of Seminyak (I would recommend Ultimo) are 10 minutes walk or a 5000 rupiah taxi ride (less than a USD). We also had some treatments at Prana a nearby massage/yoga retreat which was excellent.Finally the beach bar Ku De Ta is next door, and is a great place to eat and watch the sunset.

All in all highly recommended. Thanks for making our wedding anniversary special!

M. Roe

Room Tip: The hotel is set on slightly higher ground than the beach. As all rooms are single storey, sea view...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Oberoi_Bali, General Manager at The Oberoi Bali, responded to this review, September 20, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review on Trip Advisor after your recent visit to The Oberoi, Bali.

I am delighted to note that you enjoyed your wedding anniversary stay with us, and that our cuisine and charming Balinese staff treated you well.

I am especially pleased to note that you enjoyed your room, meals, as well as the style and level of service.

Thank you for staying with us, and we look forward to the opportunity of again welcoming you back to The Oberoi, Bali.

Boston, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed September 15, 2012

Your breath will be taken away when you first arrive at this hotel. So glam in an old fashioned kind of way. The longer you're there the more you fall in love with the staff, food, elegance and high-end Indonesian charm that embodies this 5-star resort. The hotel is on a massive piece of beachfront property which is within minutes of all of the best of Seminyak. We ate very well here since the US dollar goes very far. All of the places we ate, including at the hotel, would have held their own against the best restaurants we've eaten in here in our hometown of Boston. We upgraded to the villa which is definitely worthwhile. The standard rooms are a little bit smaller than we were hoping for and the views aren't as nice. The beach is pristine and it's hard to take your eyes off it. You'll realize you've found a very special place once you take your spot at the pool in the afternoon, enjoy the beautiful and formal afternoon tea complete with delicious snacks made in front of your eyes and generally some kind of local entertainment or artist to show off traditional cultural arts, and then enjoy a world class sunset. The staff will do anything to make sure you're having a great trip. They don't have very many rooms but they operate like a huge resort in terms of the staffing and amenities - as a result you get a lot of attention that is of higher quality than anything I've ever experienced. They take great care of the rooms. Very clean and always full of fresh local fruit. You can even request your favorites from their fruit menu! It's not cheap but there's a reason this place is always booked up. It's very special and classic and fit for the kind of person who likes to stay at very special resorts that will stay with you for a long time...

1 Thank Rachel S
Oberoi_Bali, General Manager at The Oberoi Bali, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your glowing review on Trip Advisor after your recent visit to The Oberoi, Bali.

I am delighted to note that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you enjoyed the locale, architecture, beachfront location, and style of service provided.

Thank you for staying with us, and we look forward to the opportunity of again welcoming you back to The Oberoi, Bali and the island of the gods.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed September 14, 2012 via mobile

We spent around 5 nights at the Oberoi, as part of our Bali honeymoon in September 2011. We have nothing but good things to say about this hotel: location, food, views, pool area were all great. But what really set the Oberoi apart were the staff, who were absolutely wonderful.

The hotel is also a couple of minutes away from Ku De Ta, a must-see bar/lounge/restaurant.

We will definitely be back someday.

Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review on Trip Advisor from your visit to The Oberoi, Bali in October 2011.

I am delighted to note that you enjoyed your stay with us. I am pleased to know that you found the warm and friendly Balinese staff, setting and style of the resort has left you with a will to one day return.

Thank you for staying with us, and look forward to the opportunity of again welcoming you back to The Oberoi, Bali and the island of the gods.