“Beautiful Property but the supposedly legendary service --- is not so hot”
Review of The Oberoi Bali

The Oberoi Bali
Ranked #9 of 145 Hotels in Seminyak
KarenandScott
“Beautiful Property but the supposedly legendary service --- is not so hot”
Reviewed September 27, 2012

The property itself is remarkably beautiful. Really, really beautiful. The bed a bit difficult if you are not really tall because it is surrounded by wood so you have to really climb on it. But, there are some really weird things about the hotel .... for example one night we finally had gotten over our jet lag and gone to sleep and nobody had checked the batteries on the fire alarm we were awakened by that buzzing sound which drove us totally crazy. When we told the hotel about the problem nobody seemed concerned at all. On the first day we got to our room and went into the mini bar and we found partially eaten candy bars and told the hotel (I mean really: in a five star hotel?). Or tonight housekeeping never brought back our coffee maker we called for one and got an elaborate coffee service with biscotti etc .... when I saw the bill I said: "wait all we wanted was the coffee maker back" so the guy left and did not leave the coffee maker etc ... but said he would be back later .... Then there is the constant ringing of doorbells by staff "do not disturb" (as in our annual vacation and second honeymoon means just that --- do not disturb)
The pool is only open until 7 PM which is really a drag when you pay to be able to swim etc. .... The room is okay. Not spectacular ... it is okay ... but, it seems silly when there are so many little things that are wrong. We debated staying here or at the four seasons we ought to have stayed at the Four Seasons

Room Tip: The rooms are all lanai rooms and the same from what I can see ....
4 Thank KarenandScott
Oberoi_Bali, General Manager at The Oberoi Bali, responded to this review, September 30, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review on Trip Advisor after your recent visit at The Oberoi, Bali.

I was sorry to read you felt our team was not apologetic enough about the battery needing replacing in your room smoke alarm. As soon as you were out of your room the next day, the engineers went to your room to replace the alarm with a fresh battery. I not sure how someone could 'check' the batteries in advance. I am sure that you can appreciate Bali's fragile eco system would not allow for wasteful disposal of batteries. I am sorry that this woke you up one evening.

I was very sorry to read that you found partially eaten candy bars in your minibar. This is unacceptable and I will take necessary remedial action with the team. Our swimming pool does close after 7PM for safety reasons. Your coffee maker was not replaced as you had indicated "Do Not Disturb" on your room. I apologise that the staff member you spoke with did fully understand what you wanted. I hope that you enjoyed your coffee with biscotti and that it was removed from your bill.

Please accept my sincere thanks for your frank feedback and identifying areas where improvements can be made. Thankfully, the majority of the feedback we receive is extremely positive. I was sorry to read that your experience was contrary to most of the reviews and guest feedback we receive. I assure you we will always take guest comments extremely seriously and ensure concerned team members are retrained to improve our overall guests experience. I do apologize for the inconveniences which have occurred during your stay.

Email : john.halpin@oberoihotels.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (329)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Oklahoma City
Reviewed September 24, 2012

My 14 year old son and I stayed at the Oberoi for two nights as part of a 3 week trip through the natural and cultural highlights of the Indonesian archipelago, from Sumatra through Sulawesi. We covered a lot of territory, and the Oberoi was the loveliest of the hotels where we stayed. On arrival, we received an immediate upgrade to a garden villa for no special reason. The service was professional, attentive, and very gracious. The suite was stunning, from the beautiful traditional carvings in the bedroom to the luxurious spa-like bathroom and from the outdoor eating area to our own private plunge pool. We made use of the business center with all Apple equipment, pool, water sports, and the lighted tennis courts with complimentary Babolat racquets, and all the facilities were top notch. Wish we could have stayed longer.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank alexikeguchi
Oberoi_Bali, General Manager at The Oberoi Bali, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review on Trip Advisor after your recent visit to the Indonesian archipelago and here at to The Oberoi, Bali.

I am delighted to note that you and your son have enjoyed your stay with us. I am pleased to know that you found the warm and friendly Balinese staff, setting and style of the resort has met with your expectations.

Thank you for staying with us, and look forward to the opportunity of again welcoming you back to The Oberoi, Bali. Next time we hope you can stay longer as well!

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed September 19, 2012

My wife and I recently celebrated our 1 year anniversary at the Oberoi and stayed for 4 nights. We booked a garden view Lanai Room but were upgraded to a sea view room which was great.

The room itself was nice, the king sized bed and quality of bedding was superb and we slept very well each night. The bathroom was luxurious and well appointed.

We spent every day watching the surf and generally relaxing. The quality of service at the hotel was second to none. As soon as you approach a sun lounger, a friendly face will prepare it with towels and bring out mineral water and sun cream. Despite having stayed at a number of 5 star resorts in Bali, this was one of the first that provided unlimited free mineral water.

The Oberoi obviously work very hard on their image and the training of their staff, nothing was too much to ask for, and every single member of staff we met greeted us and smiled, a simply but extremely effective touch. On the final day, we had a late flight, so checked out and lazed by the pool. I enquired where we could get a shower prior to leaving for the airports, and we were giving a new room to shower and get ready in. Again a really nice touch. Similarly on the day of our wedding anniversary we came back to our room and were greeted by flowers, a cake and a card from the GM, again small details that have a big impact.

No doubt the hotel is expensive, but the level of service is far above that of a traditional 5 star resort such as Hyatt/Hilton etc where you can feel like you are simply one of hundreds of guests. I would certainly recommend the hotel and we will no doubt be back at some stage.

Lastly with regards to location, the Oberoi is perfectly situated. The beach is clean and the surf isn’t too rough (allowing beginners to surf and body board without too much risk). The restaurants of Seminyak (I would recommend Ultimo) are 10 minutes walk or a 5000 rupiah taxi ride (less than a USD). We also had some treatments at Prana a nearby massage/yoga retreat which was excellent.Finally the beach bar Ku De Ta is next door, and is a great place to eat and watch the sunset.

All in all highly recommended. Thanks for making our wedding anniversary special!

M. Roe

Room Tip: The hotel is set on slightly higher ground than the beach. As all rooms are single storey, sea view...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Oberoi_Bali, General Manager at The Oberoi Bali, responded to this review, September 20, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review on Trip Advisor after your recent visit to The Oberoi, Bali.

I am delighted to note that you enjoyed your wedding anniversary stay with us, and that our cuisine and charming Balinese staff treated you well.

I am especially pleased to note that you enjoyed your room, meals, as well as the style and level of service.

Thank you for staying with us, and we look forward to the opportunity of again welcoming you back to The Oberoi, Bali.

Boston, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed September 15, 2012

Your breath will be taken away when you first arrive at this hotel. So glam in an old fashioned kind of way. The longer you're there the more you fall in love with the staff, food, elegance and high-end Indonesian charm that embodies this 5-star resort. The hotel is on a massive piece of beachfront property which is within minutes of all of the best of Seminyak. We ate very well here since the US dollar goes very far. All of the places we ate, including at the hotel, would have held their own against the best restaurants we've eaten in here in our hometown of Boston. We upgraded to the villa which is definitely worthwhile. The standard rooms are a little bit smaller than we were hoping for and the views aren't as nice. The beach is pristine and it's hard to take your eyes off it. You'll realize you've found a very special place once you take your spot at the pool in the afternoon, enjoy the beautiful and formal afternoon tea complete with delicious snacks made in front of your eyes and generally some kind of local entertainment or artist to show off traditional cultural arts, and then enjoy a world class sunset. The staff will do anything to make sure you're having a great trip. They don't have very many rooms but they operate like a huge resort in terms of the staffing and amenities - as a result you get a lot of attention that is of higher quality than anything I've ever experienced. They take great care of the rooms. Very clean and always full of fresh local fruit. You can even request your favorites from their fruit menu! It's not cheap but there's a reason this place is always booked up. It's very special and classic and fit for the kind of person who likes to stay at very special resorts that will stay with you for a long time...

1 Thank Rachel S
Oberoi_Bali, General Manager at The Oberoi Bali, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your glowing review on Trip Advisor after your recent visit to The Oberoi, Bali.

I am delighted to note that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you enjoyed the locale, architecture, beachfront location, and style of service provided.

Thank you for staying with us, and we look forward to the opportunity of again welcoming you back to The Oberoi, Bali and the island of the gods.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed September 14, 2012 via mobile

We spent around 5 nights at the Oberoi, as part of our Bali honeymoon in September 2011. We have nothing but good things to say about this hotel: location, food, views, pool area were all great. But what really set the Oberoi apart were the staff, who were absolutely wonderful.

The hotel is also a couple of minutes away from Ku De Ta, a must-see bar/lounge/restaurant.

We will definitely be back someday.

Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review on Trip Advisor from your visit to The Oberoi, Bali in October 2011.

I am delighted to note that you enjoyed your stay with us. I am pleased to know that you found the warm and friendly Balinese staff, setting and style of the resort has left you with a will to one day return.

Thank you for staying with us, and look forward to the opportunity of again welcoming you back to The Oberoi, Bali and the island of the gods.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed September 9, 2012

apparently this is the hotel the "rich and famous" stay at... it is lovely but a bit dated. the location is great, we stayed there so we were walking distance to Ku de ta (a few mins stumble up the beach). Not sure it was worth the $500 odd for the night though

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank finediner78
Oberoi_Bali, General Manager at The Oberoi Bali, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking your valuable time to post your review on Trip Advisor after your visit in August 2012 to The Oberoi, Bali.

I am delighted to note that you found the location of The Oberoi. Bali convenient to Seminyak’s wonderful shopping and vibrant nightlife.

The Oberoi, Bali has been purposely preserved, and is hailed by many as the most classically Balinese property on the island. Our range of accommodations include Lanai’s, Villas, and Villas with Private Swimming pools. The different room categories allow a price range from $375 up to $1000 per night, depending on the accommodation type chosen and available at time of booking.

We continually do upgrade various services and features to the property, whilst remaining sympathetic to the culture and history of Bali and of this landmark property.

Thank you for staying with us. We look forward to your continued visits, and hope we have rooms in your desired price range for your next visit to the island of the gods.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed September 5, 2012

Just let me start by saying thank you. I am a seasoned traveller. On a one month visit in south east asia this was the highlight. The Oberoi delivered excellence in comfort, style and warmth that exceeded all expectations. I have left some hotels in my lifetime saying, that it cant get any better than this. I was very wrong. This hotel offers a dimension of hospitality and simplistic style and class, that is rare indeed. The Oberoi Bali now becomes the benchmark. As one reviewer noted, there is no individual perfection here. What there is in this haven of tranquility and relaxation, is an abundance of talent, generosity and courtesy, that is natural and genuine. The guests experience is satisfying and whole from start to finish.

I had a partial sea view Lanai which was ideal and gave the best of both worlds. My room was surrounded by beautiful flowers and magnificent tress, stretching to the beachfront. I had the friendship of squirrals, birds and all forms of wildlife, for 8 wonderful days. There was nothing to do here except relax and continue to relax. They took great care of me. The restaurants delighted the palate. The pool was wonderful. The breakfast served at my room every morning was a fantastic start to a new day. You get the drift.

Finally, housekeeping is exceptional. My room was always comfortable, beautifully kept and attention to the smallest detail in cleanliness maintained at all times. The spa is reasonably priced for this quality and its setting is unique. The gardeners who maintain the grounds are a credit to the hotel. The care of the property, love of the plants, flowers and protection of this environment, contributes in no small way to making this hotel what it is. It is a home from home,It is in a class apart. It is out on its own. If you are reading this you may be thinking of going. Have no hesitation whatsoever in pressing BOOK NOW

Room Tip: In my opinion the partial sea view Lanai's are worth the premium
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank paul026
Oberoi_Bali, General Manager at The Oberoi Bali, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
Dear paul026,

Thank you for your complimentary review of your visit with us here at The Oberoi, Bali. I am so pleased to know that you the many facets of your visit over 8 days left you with such good memories.

It is indeed a privilege for me to work with such a wonderful team of people and I truly appreciate your recognition of the various aspects of your holiday here.

Thank you for staying with us, and we all very much look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back to The Oberoi, Bali.