“This is one of the best hotels in the world!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Legian Bali

The Legian Bali
Ranked #9 of 142 Hotels in Seminyak
Adelaide, Australia
“This is one of the best hotels in the world!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2014

My friend and I stayed at The Legian (for me it was my fourth stay and for my friend it was the second stay!). We enjoyed everything so very much! On our flight back to australia we couldn't quite work out which are the best aspects because everything was perfect. I would like to start on the property and facilities - the rooms are gorgeous! The pool is magnificant! The gynasium has been upgraded and is fantastic! The food and beverage is exceptional but the best part of all is the people! Starting with Kevin (Hotel Manager) who is a wonderful host, working through the concierge desk, the front desk staff, the staff in room service, the cleaning staff in the room, and the wonderful, helpful and courteous pool men (Cendana, Edi, Buri, etc.) - everyone knew us by name! I have travelled extensively throughout Asia and the only other hotel that comes close to The Legian is the Metropole in Hanoi. We will stay again and again at The Legian. Thank you to everyone for a lovely five days!

Room Tip: We needed a twin room - room 313 is fantastic!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Jan T
TheLegian B, General Manager at The Legian Bali, responded to this review, May 15, 2014
Dear Jan T,

It was a pleasure welcoming you both back to The Legian Bali. We are very happy to read that you enjoyed every aspect of your stay be it the personalized service delivered by the team along with the recognition, your suite, food and the infinity pools as well as the newly renovated gym. The entire team, especially Cendana, Edi and Budi were very happy to learn that they were able to contribute towards making your stay ever so enjoyable.

Looking forward to welcoming you back to The Legian Bali soon.

Kevin J. Abramowicz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (307)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2014

Our three night stay at the Legian at the end of April, 2014 was the BEST hotel stay we have ever had. Period!! We did not want to leave to go to Ubud and would have stayed at the Legian if we could have. This hotel has done everything right!! The hotel itself is stunning, the location is perfect, the food is impeccable, and the entire staff, including the management is incredibly attentive. You can see how beautiful the hotel is from all of the pictures on the web but what you don't see, and what I feel TripAdvisor reviews are so important, is the description of the ambiance, attitude and service you experience.
All of the small details, from the cold towels and water while relaxing on the beach, to the beautifully written welcome note, to the management taking the time to come to you to get to know you, are all well thought out and perfectly executed. It is not possible for the service to be any better.
From the moment we arrived and were welcomed by the Assistant GM, to the moment we left when the GM, Kevin, came out to see us off, the thoughtfulness of the staff never stopped. It was always attentive without being intrusive. All of the staff; the food servers especially Yoga, pool staff, the Chef, and even the room service runner; were always polite, considerate and genuinely concerned for your comfort.
I could go on and on about this hotel but instead I will leave it with "if you are looking for a first class hotel in Bali, stay at the Legian..I am 100% positive that you will love it and you won't want to leave!".
Thank you Legian for the best memories of our SE Asia trip!!

Room Tip: Upgrade to the one bedroom suite if you can. The corner rooms are stunning.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JoeSoFla
Dear JoeSoFla,

Thank you very much for staying with us at The Legian Bali and sharing such positive comments on your experience on TripAdvisor. It is very encouraging for us to read that every interaction be it with any member of our staff especially Yoga and the Chef, the food, central location, ambience and the small details around the property helped create a fantastic experience for the two of you. We are very happy to learn that The Legian will remain as the best part of your South East Asian holiday and would also like to thank you for recommending us to others.

We look forward to welcoming you both back to The Legian Bali for a longer vacation in the future.

Hooke, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2014

First off, it's only fair to say that overall this hotel is simply stunning. The location; the staff (special mentions to Eddy, the Food & Beverages manager, and head chef Luke MacCleod); the ambience, the rooms (huge!); the best hotel pool I've ever seen - 3 tiers, all infinity pools; their flexibility in allowing me a 4:30 pm checkout to match my flight time; almost, almost everything.

....but not quite.

The hotel security staff also control the traffic entering and leaving the hotel. With whistles. Which they start to use - virtually continuously - from 7:30 am. Don't plan on a late lie-in after a night on the tiles!
Being a musician, the out of tune piano in the restaurant was particularly uncomfortable, almost unbearable. I understand that high levels of humidity can cause pianos to go out of tune very easily, but with all the other things The Legian gets right, a piano tuner once or twice a week would be a good investment. And a better pianist.
My bed attacked me! On my first night while I was getting into bed the pole on the side of the bed holding up the mosquito net decided to fall out of it's socket, cutting my head. It was only a glancing blow, but there was blood everywhere (I have photos if anyone's interested). I decided not to report this to the management, just to see how long to would take for the incident to be reported to them by the cleaning staff, and for them to mention it to me. Nothing! Not even when I checked out and the manager and his under manager came and saw me off. I can anticipate the management's response to this review, saying "if you'd reported it we'd have done.....something (what?)". Well maybe you should train your cleaning staff to report matters like this, rather than put the onus on the guest. Enough said.
The 'mood' lighting in the bathroom was OK (just) for me, but then I don't wear makeup. For a woman (sorry, don't mean to be sexist) it must be a nightmare. Standing in front of the washbasin looking into the mirror, the downlight from the ceiling - the only light in that part of the bathroom - missed me by about a foot. Even shaving was done by memory.

Two more issues that were not the hotel's fault but which I mention as a guide to the area: 1) out of five of the days I stayed there, swimming in the sea was prohibited on four of them because of the strong waves and currents, and 2) the street hawkers in Seminyak were the most aggressive I've come across (I'd previously visited Singapore, Thailand, Vietnam and Hong Kong). If, as you generally tend to do, you say a firm "no thanks" they get aggressively vocal and a couple almost physically assaulted me, although I know who would have come off worse if they had!

So overall a fabulous hotel which, if it takes any notice of my review and resolves the issues I've raised, would be up there with the best in the world.

Room Tip: The one bedroom deluxe suites are extremely good value and spacious - a much better deal than the st...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Geoff G
TheLegian B, General Manager at The Legian Bali, responded to this review, May 10, 2014
Dear Geoff G,

On behalf of the entire team, I would like to thank you for choosing to stay with us and taking the time to write a review about your stay. I am very happy to read that the team, especially Chef Luke and Edi were very accommodating, you enjoyed the facilities and location as well the ambience of our hotel. I am particularly disappointed to learn that there were a few downsides to your stay and herewith sincerely apologize for any inconveniences experienced.

In spite of having various measurements in place to ensure proper communication within the hotel, it is with sincere regret to hear about this incident through your review. I do acknowledge that in this instance, the communication was below our standards and certainly agree that the matter should have most definitely and immediately been brought to the attention of the management given its significance. Ever since, we have laid additional emphasis on the importance of communication with all departments in order to avoid any reoccurrences.

Your constructive criticism towards the entertainment at The Restaurant, lighting in the bathroom as well as our security is much appreciated and extremely valuable to us. Thus, I am happy to inform that various efforts have already been made to address the above mentioned.

All of us at The Legian Bali very much look forward to welcoming you back very soon and please do not hesitate to contact me anytime directly.

Hong Kong
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2014

Having spent a fantastic 3 nights in Ubud, we were looking forward to getting to Seminyak. I had heard very good things about The Legian. I am fortunate enough to have stayed at some amazing hotels in Asia, the Middle East, Europe and the Americas but I have to say, I have never experienced service like at The Legian. From senior management, to front of house staff to the gardeners and drivers - I could not find fault. It was perfectly balanced between being friendly but professional, attentive but not overly so. I'm not a fan of the kind of service which is suffocating, butlers etc - all strikes me as a bit grotesque. Other hotels and staff - take note - The Legian understands service to perfection.

The pool area and surrounding gardens are beautifully maintained. The beach is just steps in front of you (literally). For those that don't know Bali, the sea around Seminyak is not crystal clear (this is not an atoll) and the waves can be quite big, but there were plenty of families with small children playing in the surf so no problem at all. Plus The Legian has it's own dedicated lifeguard on duty.

Their rooms are gorgeous, wonderfully appointed and the food was excellent.

I am normally extremely picky and rarely go back to hotels, as I prefer to keep exploring and finding new places. But I will definitely be back here. My only complaint is that The Legian is a 5 hour flight from Hong Kong (just a tad too long for 2-3 day weekend) but there is not much management can do about that!!

We ate out at Bambu and Sardine, both of which are fabulous, particularly Bambu! Ku De Ta is pretty average and fairly commercial to be honest, as is potato head - but try them out for sundowners. Although if you're staying at The Legian - you're miles better off there! Unless you really want DJ atmosphere.

Thanks for such a memorable stay. Will be back...and cannot wait!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank hkchris31
TheLegian B, General Manager at The Legian Bali, responded to this review, May 9, 2014
Dear hkchris31,

Thank you very much for staying with us at The Legian Bali and sharing your experience with others on TripAdvisor. It gives us great pleasure to read that you thoroughly enjoyed the personalized yet unobtrusive service delivered by our staff and every other moment of your stay, be it in the suite, relaxing by the pools and or dining at the outlets.

We are all looking forward to welcoming you both back to The Legian Bali for another memorable stay.

Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2014

My wife and I and our four kids stayed at the Legian Bali for a week recently.

Overall, it was excellent. The room was spacious and very nicely appointed. The food was very good - though we did notice some inconsistencies on the nights we dined there - perhaps the head chef was off on one of those nights. The staff were fantastic, and couldn't do enough for us. Overall the standard was very high.

The hotel manager, Kevin, is excellent and is out and about making sure everything is running smoothly.

The only improvements we could suggest would be to improve the activities available for kids - there is no kids club but the hotel offers activities for kids which, while good in themselves, could be a lot better - more varied and interesting. I don't think it would be difficult for the hotel to do this - other hotels in Bali do - and I am sure guests with kids wouldn't mind paying extra for this service if it was done really well. It would improve the experience for kids and the families at the hotel immensely.

The second thing that could be done better was the way one of the guests influenced staff to reserve the prime poolside cabana every day we were there.

This annoyed many of the guests who frequently commented on how this woman and her husband always had a book from the hotel library on the cabana first thing every morning - despite never reading it, and despite arriving relatively late every morning themselves (well after the book had mysteriously appeared on the cabana).

A hotel of this calibre should not facilitate such a practice - it annoys its other guests.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Michael H
Dear Michael H,

It was lovely to meet you all and a pleasure to have your family and you staying with us at The Legian Bali. We are very happy to learn that you all had a wonderful stay with us, the service delivered by the team was fantastic and the overall experience was of a very high standard.

We truly appreciate your feedback with regards to our services offered as well as the inconsistency in The Restaurant both of which have been addressed with the respective departments concerned. In spite of having policies in place for the usage of sun loungers and pool side cabanas, we regret to learn that we failed to adhere to our standards. Please be assured that we will make any effort to further enhance the level of our services offered in order to allow equal opportunities to all guests alike.

We all at The Legian Bali, very much look forward to welcoming your family and you back on your next holiday.

Perth, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2014

Great Hotel to spend a few days, looking at that fantastic view!!!!!!

Spacious suites, great service and amazing food.

The location is right in the middle of everything, shopping, nightlife and fun.

The Spa is well worth a visit too.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Dear DaisyO2014,

Thank you for staying with us and reviewing your stay at The Legian Bali. We are glad to read that you enjoyed your time spent at the resort and found it to be ideally located.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Legian Bali.

London UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2014

Went here for our honeymoon, definite highlight of the trip! We will certainly be returning, just simply the best place to stay in Bali hands down. First class rooms, pool, and food. Topped off with the most incredible customer service ever.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
TheLegian B, General Manager at The Legian Bali, responded to this review, May 2, 2014
Dear Bapking,

Thank you very much for choosing to spend your Honeymoon with us and we are very happy to learn that The Legian Bali was the highlight of your trip.

We very much look forward to welcoming you both back to The Legian Bali to celebrate your first anniversary.