“The Legian lives up to its reputation - and exceeds it” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Suite 20
Ranked #4 of 135 Hotels in Seminyak
Adelaide, Australia
“The Legian lives up to its reputation - and exceeds it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

We spent a too-brief time at the Legian right at the end of August. From the moment of arrival, when we were greeted by Kevin, the GM, to the sad moment of departure, we were treated with the greatest of care and attention by everyone. To be greeted by name by all the wait staff in the restaurants and around the pools is very impressive. This little touch makes one feel very special and pampered. Check-in was prompt, easy and pleasant, as was checkout. Nothing is too much trouble for the staff at the Legian...

We had a studio suite on the ground floor facing the beach, with its own little verandah as well as another spot with two sunbeds. This direct access to the lawn, the pools and the beach makes these rooms very well worth the money. There's no need to go through any of the more public areas to get to the water, and this makes for a genuine sense of privacy.

The room was spacious, impeccably clean and quite luxurious. The bathroom was gorgeous and enormous and the bed was very comfortable. My only (tiny) quibble is that there weren't any bedside tables and so one must put the glass of water, the Kindle and the reading glasses on the floor before sleeping - no big deal, just a very minor thing.

We ate tapas in the Pool Bar the first night, and the food was delicious. On the second night the GM hosted a cocktails and canapes evening by the pool, and we had a splendid time. On the Friday, it was my partner's birthday and in what is turning out to be something of a tradition in hotels when we travel in August, we were greeted at breakfast with glasses of champagne, a beautiful little spongecake with a candle, and the staff singing 'Happy birthday'. It's going to be so hard to spend birthdays at home from now on!!! This is such a lovely thoughtful gesture on the part of hotel management, and I'm sure always appreciated.

We had decided to do almost nothing during our brief stay, except a little burst of shopping, and so we spent many hours on sunbeds, watching the rather fierce surf pounding into the beach and intrepid tourists dealing with big unruly waves. We were plied with beers and snacks by an assiduous group of wait staff, who were all charming, helpful and quick!

On our last night (getting ready for the brutal 1.00 am flight from Denpasar to Adelaide), we ate at the hotel restaurant, and we were agreeably surprised by the prices, given that this is a 5 star hotel. Our meal was delicious and served poolside, with braziers illuminating the three infinity pools, with the surf breaking just beyond. Truly a magical and delightful experience!
This is a seriously lovely hotel, with outstanding management and staff, and they all rightly deserve the positive reviews seen here on TA. I wish I could award 6 stars! I will recommend this hotel without reservation, and hope to return one day.

Room Tip: Some of the ground floor studio suites have their own direct access to the pools and the beach - mak...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
TheLegian B, General Manager at The Legian Bali, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Dear balhannah,

Thank you for staying with us and celebrating your partner's birthday here at The Legian. We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to write such a comprehensive review about your stay. It gives the team and I great pleasure to read that you both liked all the little touches around the property, along with its facilities and services and we were able to create a memorable holiday for your partner and you. In addition, we have made note of your constructive feedback and will make any effort to address this and thank you for recommending us to others.

We look forward to welcoming you both back very soon in order to celebrate the next special occasion.

Kevin J. Abramowicz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (271)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

I stayed at the Legian Bali with my parents, brother and girlfriend. After being unhappy with another 5* hotel, we decided to move to the Legian, they were absolutely great to accommodate us at short notice. The welcome at the hotel was very warm and the receptionists were very professional and speedy with the checkin. Waiting in the lobby we had our welcome drink and we really liked the big photography on the walls (thinking of buying one of the portraits from the artist).

The rooms were extremely clean and spacious. The beds were very comfortable, I had great night sleep in the bed even though I was in pain after having broken my foot a couple days before.

The gym is a good size with a couple of running machines (I don’t understand people going for runs inside when you have the amazing beach at your doorstep), a selection of free weights and machines & finally a sauna.

The most amazing feature of the hotel is its location and beachfront sunbeds/pools. The beach and sea right in front of the Legian is to die for. Anybody who enjoys a good wave can take some of the hotels bodyboards and venture into the sea, or just swim in one of the pools and enjoy the breathtaking views from the pool. The hotel is far enough away from Kuta, so its less crowded and you can thoroughly relax. But if you want to go for a walk on the beach, you can go for mils until you get to Kuta.

The only negative point for the hotel is that there is a lack variety for dinner at the hotel and prices are expensive. The food quality is great and service is very professional, but a lot of guests opt to dine in the town outside of the hotel, the concierge is happy to give some recommendations. The special barbecue by the beach where the food is served as a buffet was a good option as well.

Overall I can not rate the Legian high enough, it is one of my favorite hotels I stayed at and would recommend it to anybody visiting Bali. One of my favourite memories from my trip is to wake up after a good night sleep and get the great breakfast while enjoying the view of the sea....

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Yann G
Dear Yann G,

Thank you very much for staying with us and taking the time to write a review. I am happy to learn that you unexpectedly decided to experience The Legian and thoroughly enjoyed every bit of its hospitality. I am glad that you were able to soak in the sun and surf, relax at the beach front beds, indulge in the food and look forward to a great breakfast every morning after a good night’s sleep.

Thank you in advance for recommending it to others and we look forward to welcoming you all back in the future.

Pecatu, Indonesia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

From the moment of arrival, we were given an excellent service. All we had to do was hand in our ID and credit card and they took care of the rest while we enjoyed the welcome drink and the beautiful lobby. I am not sure whether it was because we paid debit, but we got our room upgraded from Studio to Deluxe room with two bedrooms - which we didnt even need! It was a huge, spacious room complete with its own pantry, dining room, beautiful bathroom and amazing beach-facing balcony. The bed was super comfortable - our only minor irritation was the smell of the linen which was rather damp. Other than that, it was great.

The service of the waiters was impeccable - everyone was friendly and attentive and they made us feel very comfortable but non-intrusive. We arrived on Friday and there was a Friday barbecue by the beach - which was highly recommended. You get to eat outdoor by the beach and the food is served buffet style. Try everything - seriously, the food is just out of this world!

The Pool boys did excellent jobs catering everything we needed - from magazines, cold drinks to adjusting the towels to make us feel more comfortable.

Facilities are excellent - the restaurant served really delicious food - kudos to the chef and his staff - the pool was special because it was three-tiered from the shallowest for children to the deepest (1.8 m) for adults.

The hotel was having some renovation works during our stay, and it looked a bit different from the website. It should be updated to reflect what the rooms look like now.

Extra personal touch was shown as an effort by the management, through welcome letter, which we appreciated. At the end of our stay, the manager also had a small chat with us and ask about our stay and when we would return.

Room Tip: Because we stayed in the Deluxe room, it seemed ideal for family as the other room has a huge bed an...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
1 Thank whufwhuf
TheLegian B, General Manager at The Legian Bali, responded to this review, August 11, 2013
Dear whufwhuf,

Thank you for choosing to stay at The Legian and celebrate your wedding anniversary. My team and I are very glad to hear that you enjoyed your time spent on the resort whether it be in the suite, by the pools, at the Seafood Indulgence and last but not least the services rendered around the hotel. I sincerely appreciate your feedback and be assured that we will make any effort to address it.

We all look forward to welcoming you both back in order to celebrate your next wedding anniversary and make it as special as the previous one.

Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

I need to share my disappointment with the reservation and booking process for this hotel. Firstly unlike 90% of the hotels in the immediate area they refused to quote my room rate in Australian dollars only US dollars. Secondly they did not devulge the taxes when quoting the room rate. Thirdly it was only a matter of 2 hours approximately that my circumstances changed and I notified reservations immediately to change my booking from a 2 person room to a 3 person room. This more than doubled my original room rate, it in actual fact made the whole stay out of our reach price wise. The original room amount had already been taken from my credit card and reservations would not accept my upgrade until I paid the balance now outstanding in full. Once I complained they reduced the additional person room rate by $ 20 per night and have agreed for me to pay the balance on arrival which is very generous, but unfortunately even with these concessions it still becomes a very expensive stay at this hotel. I have asked for a full refund so we can stay at another cheaper hotel, and the hotel have refused to return my money stating their no cancellation policy, which again I have search a number of hotels in the area and they do not have such a policy. PLEASE BE CAREFUL WHEN BOOKING THIS HOTEL!!! They seem to be inflexible with their bookings, I wonder what their service will be like now I have been forced into staying there.........

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank Leagh R
Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

Met up with my family who had been travelling around Europe in Bali for a weeks getaway from Adelaide and were staying in Seminyak at the Legian Hotel on the beach front.

The hotel is incredible... we were staying in a two bedroom suite, and I was amazed by the size of the room in its entirety, especially the main bathroom and open living area. The rooms had everything we could have wanted, bottled water available (as tap water in bali is not drinkable) and a free minibar, replenished twice daily. The housekeeping staff are impeccable, and the evening turn down service with evening snacks... a lovely added touch.

The Pools are incredible, and the lounges overlooking the pools and the beach are great for relaxing. The restaurant, whilst pricy, is worth every cent, and the service is incredible, especially at breakfast time.

The staff are amazing, so friendly and polite, and do anything they can to make your stay spectacular... even little things like saying hello and smiling when you pass them in various areas of the hotel.

Highly recommend for anyone travelling to Bali and wanting to stay in Seminyak, away from the hustle and bustle of Kuta and Nusa Dua.
The only downside of the hotel is now, when I stay at another hotel elsewhere in the world, nothing will compare, the service and attention to detail of the Legian was so incredible, I fear I will not find anything like it again!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Matthew S
Dear Matthew S,

Thank you very much for writing a very positive review on your stay at The Legian. I am very happy to learn that the level of service provided by our staff as well as the attention to details all around the property put together were able to create an amazing experience for you. I have shared your comments with the rest of the team and they were very pleased to hear the same.

We all look forward to welcoming you back very soon to experience more.

hong kong
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013 via mobile

Our two bed roon suite is not available during check in and we are upgraded to a 3 bedroom beach house and a free lunch as apology . so I do appreciate their service and the manager , Kelvin 's hospitality . the beach house is excellent with direct access to the beach and private pool but beware of the mosquito around you.During our stay , the seminyak beach is too wavery to swim and its a big pity as we cant swim in the sea . I have tried both lunch and dinner in the hotel which has good western food .the hotel takes 10 min walking to the main seminyak square which is the closest shoppingrea . perhaps next time , I may try the hotel near the bali bay with better calm beach or the ubud area with more feature shopping . another thing to mention is the jamaran bay seafood is too pricey to try and the quality is not worth the price though the taste is not bad.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank michaelchoy
Dear michaelchoy,

Thank you very much for staying with us and it was a pleasure meeting you all. I am glad to hear that you liked The Beach House, enjoyed your time at The Legian as well as the food at The Restaurant.

We look forward to welcoming your family and you back in the future.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

We stayed here for six nights on the recommendation of two sets of friends (one couple and one family with 2 small children, so with quite different expectations and perspectives). Their recommendations were spot on. The manager, Kevin Abramowicz, is running a seriously high level operation in every respect and is to be congratulated for the standards he has set and is maintaining at The Legian.

The Legian is big enough to ensure that it doesn't feel as though you are staying at an empty hotel, but not so large enough that it becomes overwhelming in terms of size and number of people. The feeling is relaxing and not overly formal - the vibe is a gentle energy which we felt was perfect.

The rooms are huge and well-appointed, with understated Balinese decoration (we had a deluxe suite, which had a separate dining and lounge area and guest powder room, and could be completely closed off from the master bedroom and master bathroom). The grounds are well-maintained and the three pools brilliant. All the staff offer the highest level of kind and smiling but unobtrusive service. The breakfast is a real highlight!

There is a spa (the treatments we had were very high quality) and small but well-equipped gym.

There are less costly accommodation options in Bali, but when all of the benefits of The Legian are added up, we thought it was great value for money. We are already looking forward to when we can next return to The Legian.

Room Tip: All of the rooms in the hotel part (there are also villas across the road but these are not beachfro...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Peter3801
TheLegian B, General Manager at The Legian Bali, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Dear Peter3801,

A sincere thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed and extremely positive review about The Legian. I am very happy to hear that you found the facilities and other elements of The Legian to be of a very high standard as well as the services rendered by the staff to be unobtrusive and consistent.

I have relayed your positive comments to the entire team which they found very encouraging.

We all look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Kevin J. Abramowicz
Also consider these accommodations in or near Seminyak
The Seminyak Beach Resort & Spa
Dusun Villas Bali
Dusun Villas Bali
#3 of 135 in Seminyak
5.0 of 5 stars 432 reviews

Been to The Legian Bali? Share your experiences!