“All-Suite Ocean Hotel”
Review of The Legian Bali

The Legian Bali
Ranked #7 of 148 Hotels in Seminyak
Reviewed November 3, 2012

Rooms are huge and the view from the second floor is excellent. We had our breakfast on our terrace which was a great way to start (I am tired of those busy buffet.) So we loved it this way.
Food is fairly overpriced but you have so many restaurant outside that it is not a problem.
The architecture from outside looks a bit like stone castle and is not very delicate in my opinion but once you get in your room, it is very pleasant. Service is good though we had one bad experience but this was an exception.
I had a shirodara massage. Expensive but nice.
In conclusion, this is a typical luxury hotel, you pay everything twice. You pay the room but then all the services come with a high price tag.

Reviewed November 1, 2012

Wow! Great service, from the welcome, with a refreshing Balinese drink whilst checking in from a sofa, right through to the hotel staff member negotiating us through the minefield that is the airport.

Our suite was bigger than our house, with a stunning bedroom, lounge, bathroom, kitchen area, dining area and guest toilet! The turn down service each day involved us being left a poem about local environmental elements, as well as a dish of treats on our dining table. Sleeping in a four poster surrounded by white muslin was very relaxing, and our luxurious lounger on the balcony was a great place to watch sunset from.

Sleeping with the sound of the waves hitting the shore was just great, and so relaxing.

Plenty of sun beds and very attentive staff making sure you were fed and watered around the pool were great. The three tiered infinity pools were gorgeous and really
made you feel you were swimming alongside the ocean.

We got a complimentary four course meal as we were honeymooners - the food was fabulous, and we felt really bad not to be able to eat all of it! Drinks at the hotel are not cheap, prices a little higher than other similar hotels we stayed in across Asia.

We were slightly surprised at how many young children there were at the hotel - not a problem for us, but unusual for a high end hotel.

The spa was great, to have a Balinese massage in a gorgeously appointed room, again with the sound of the ocean audible alongside the relaxing music is hard to beat.

We'd recommend walking along the beach in the evening to try some of the local beach bars and live music.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher level and you get a better view of the ocean, over the pool/ocean bar.
Reviewed October 27, 2012

We have stayed at The Legian a number of times and it remains a favourite.

The ambience, service and position make The Legian an exceptional place to stay in Bali. Since our last stay in July 2011, half the hotel has been refurbished and many of my old concerns have been remedied. The airconditioning is quiet and the newly refurbished bathrooms are excellent. I understnd the remainder of the renovations will be completed by May 2013.The standard of the rooms and facilities is now very good and the addition of a large beach front lap pool adds significant benefits.

The hotel is also under a new general manager and as a result the whole place looks sharper and the attention to detail within the hotel and in the gardens is noticeable.

The Legian is not a large hotel and this helps to create a warm and friendly atmosphere. The staff seem to remember your name and your individual likes and dislikes in a way that makes it a very relaxing place to stay.

The food is varied and of a very high quality although I still find the evening restaurant a little formal and expensive if you are entertaining a young family as we were.

The Legian continues to get better and we will be returning.

Room Tip: For families the ground floor garden rooms are very convenient for pool and beach access.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank Simon T
Reviewed October 26, 2012

What a great view from the restaurant, wonderful, very special atmosphere with lovely lighting and superb feel. In fact we were there for just one evening meal and it was probably worth paying the overpriced bill and putting up with the staff just to be in this place - especially if your hotel is less well located.

However, and sadly its quite a big BUT, this hotel suffers from the arrogance common to many tropical hotels in that it seems to believe that unless you are entirely satisfied, you must be wrong.

The waitress was overly attentive, coming to ask us if our meal was ok every 3 minutes, as did the wine waiter and the manager - even interrupting me mid sentence on a number of occasions as I was talking to my wife. I found this extremely irritating as I had come to dinner to spend some quality time.

We have eaten at many places around the world including some of the finest including Heston Blumental's 'Fat Duck' in Bray. Although not a professional chef, I enjoy cooking and take great pride in experiencing and preparing food.

I was therefore very surprised when my Braised Wagyu Shank with Traditional Spices and Eggplant turned out to be full of cartilage and gristle. I mentioned this to the waitress who sent the manager over. He explained to me with no apology that Wagyu beef contains fat and that it was slow cooked and that I must be making a mistake because this restaurant was of the highest quality. I'm telling you straight it was not marbling or well rendered fat - it was gristle, and in almost every mouthful.

Very disappointing that the food was so poor and the attitude of the staff was so arrogant and pompous.

On receiving the bill, there was then the unpleasant surprise of the highly over-priced gin and tonics before being asked to come with my credit card to what I can only describe as a dirty back room to enter my pin. I felt like they didn't believe that it was my credit card at all and that I had been brought to a 'secure area'.

Not impressed at all at the way I was treated by the staff.

Such a shame that these people rely on the beautiful location but neglect their ingredients, preparation and customer service. If they want to be considered to be in the top echelons of hospitality, they need to make some changes.

10  Thank firmbutfair100
Ketut S, Manager at The Legian Bali, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review and valuable feedback on your recent experience at our restaurant.
We are glad to hear that you enjoyed the atmosphere, however sincerely apologize and regret that the food and service did not meet your expectation.
Thus, we have shared your comments with our food and beverage team accordingly to address the approach taken in this matter and further emphasized on the privacy of our guests during their dining experience with us.
Be assured that we only use the best available ingredients and the quality of the food served in our outlets is of utmost importance to us.
We hope to welcoming you back in the near future to convince you otherwise.

The Management Team of The Legian

Reviewed October 20, 2012

We dined here for a late lunch, whilst not guests at the hotel we were welcomed and treated like VIPs!

Dining at the Beach Bar where we treated ourself to french champagne, complimentary breads, the most fantastic salad and delicious mixed satay for 2. It was perfect in everyway, the bar & pool manager (who's name unfortunately escapes me) was exceptional engaging us in welcomed conversation and humor, tip top service and the offer of beach towels to enjoy a plunge in their beautiful pool.

All this for less than $80AUD (french champagne $25 a glass included)

Would we do this again?

1  Thank ormiston62
Reviewed October 18, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Legian for 8 nights from Sep 28 to Oct 6th as part of our honeymoon. We had a great experience from start to finish and I can't recommend this hotel enough. Our arrival was painless, we had arranged the hotel pick up. On arrival at the property I found the check in to be efficent. We stayed in a one bedroom deluxe suite, rm 121, the room was well appointed, with a comfortable bed and excellent facilities. We stayed in four high end hotels on our travels including a 5 star in both Dubai and KL and I can safely say the service at the the legian was streets ahead. As nice as the property is, from location to all its facilities, it is the staff that I will remember best. The level of service was very good, and my wife and I could not have hoped for better service. Thanks from us both to the management and staff. Mr and Mrs H.

4  Thank all_I_want4xmas
Reviewed October 16, 2012

We booked the Legian based on great reviews from Trip Advisor and we were not disappointed. We have just had 7 nights in a 1 bed suite, did I say suite, more like an apartment (131 on 3rd floor). The suite has a large living room overlooking the beach, a large dining room and a beautiful bedroom with large bathroom off that. The suite just did not lack for anything and we wished we could of taken the bed and pillows home with us. When you can get away from the room, then you have a whole resort below you. As it only has 69 suites, you never feel like the place is over crowded. Breakfast is included in the room rate and has an extensive range, with a choice of cooked meal as well, all served overlooking their 3 infinity pools that cascade towards the beach. Eddie, the Restaurant Manager was always there to greet you, have a chat and would never forget your name. All staff from the General Manager, Kevin, to the room staff were always keen to help and were all so friendly. We ate at their restaurant a couple of nights, including the Seafood Night, where tables are setup right above the sand, highly recommended.
The resort is very central to a number of good restaurants, within walking distance, along the beach - Ku Da Ta, La Lucciloa and Sea Circus are a few.
My wife and I have stayed in many excellent properties around the world and this is in the top two or three. We will be back !!!!!!

Room Tip: Top level and spend the bit more and get the one bderoom suites.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Seminyak
The Seminyak Beach Resort & Spa
The Oberoi Bali
#11 of 148 in Seminyak
The St. Regis Bali Resort
Double-Six Luxury Hotel Seminyak

Been to The Legian Bali? Share your experiences!