“Very good hotel in a fantastic location”

Sense Hotel Seminyak
Ranked #68 of 148 Hotels in Seminyak
Reviewed March 27, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for a week in the middle of March 2013.

Overall, I echo what many other have said about the Sense - it's fantastically located and very well priced.

Pros:

- Location, location, location: You take a short walk in any direction and you'll stumble upon any number of restaurants, bars, and lounges. I had very good luck with all my meals - for Bali they're expensive, but very cheap by Dubai (where I live) standards, and very tasty.

-Service: The staff at the hotel are very nice and people. Some of their language skills were lacking, but they more than made up for it with their attentiveness and smiles.

-Their pool: It's a smaller pool, but I love the massive waterfall that feeds into it. Very aesthetically pleasing.

- The bed: It was very comfortable and a pleasure to sleep on.

Cons:

Smell: I sometimes had issues with my bathroom smelling bad. The timing of this seemed somewhat random. The rest of the room smelled fine.

Taxi issue: Someone from the hotel suggest I go by a set taxi price from there to Kuta instead of using the meter and that I should pay 100,000 Indonesian Rupiah (the equivalent of $10 US). I took a meter taxi on the way back and it only cost by 25,000 Indonesian Rupiah. This makes me wonder if the hotel employee and cab driver were running some kind of scam.

Food: The food was very ordinary - I would say it's serviceable.

Ambiance: The hotel kind of had this feel of being quiet and peace, sometimes to too much of a degree. I kind of felt like I had to whisper - it was a strange feeling!

Overall it's a very good deal that's incredibly well located.

Ussama

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Gufr0n, General Manager at Sense Hotel Seminyak, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2013

Dear Ms Ussama T,

Warmest greetings from Sense Hotel Seminyak,

We thank you for your feedback especially on our location, services, and staffs, We will do our utmost to keep it on that level.
We also have taken note for some issues that might be arising inconvenience, we will do some precaution so it will not happen anymore to other customers.

Once again thank you for your feedback and look forward to welcoming you at Sense Hotel Seminyak again.

Reviewed March 24, 2013

As per previous Bali reviews my wife and i have been to Bali some 30+ times over the last 12 years and always Seminyak.Stayed at The Oberoi in our earlier days.Progressed to Santika(Now Samaya)many stays.Tried The Legian next door once(yuk).Progressed to Pradha Villas One Bed Exec Villa(Superb)15 visits.Excellent for privacy.but over that.Thats for the honeymooners.and situated behind Sense Hotel.I now have to confess that the wife and i have just had a 7 night stay at The Sense.Totally Excellent.I am a smoker.had room with a balcony.Spotlessly clean every day.Air Con will part your hair when on high.Daily Fresh Water Bottles.Bathrobes.Crisp White Linen Sheets and towels.Toiletries.Free Wifi in room and in lobby by Restaurant and Fast . The Breakfast was a buffet style,great selection with an Egg station cooked to your liking and it was every day.Having stayed at numerous Marriotts and Sheratons on a world wide basis i was dubious what to expect for such an amazing price how wrong i was.One of the best hotels i have had the pleasure of staying at.
Met the Manager Mr Gufron and was totally delightfull as is all the staff.Every morning at breakfast a young lady comes round and asks guests without intruding if all was o.k.and any problems/requests.Nice Touch.My wife is very fussy=We have booked again for a further two trips this year.Great Location as we know Seminyak like the back of our hand.Dont go past this place.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the ocean.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank pug54

Dear Mr Pug54,

Warmest greetings from Sense Hotel Seminyak.

It was very nice to have met you during your stay with us, thanks for your time to provide this review as well as your compliment of our services which certainly to be forwarded on to our staffs. Being a new hotel, it is such a honor of being compared into other long existing properties. However, we will do our utmost to develop on our own way, to achieve what we call an "Homey Atmosphere" for our clients.

We wish to serve you again on your next visit to Bali so then we can chat again.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

Seminyak as town is really not to recommend, unless you like overpriced, not too well catering restaurants and hassle over prices for products you don't need. There is nothing to see. BUT when you have made your visit around Bali, and are looking for a place with easy access to the airport, this could be it. The service was very good over all, breakfast was nice and everything is clean and well maintained. Also you can leave your luggage in a storage room on the day of your departure, and you can even take a shower before leaving to the airport!
The real minus comes for the small restaurants nearby, which are absolute rip-offs with dirty tables and even dirtier prices. Also, would recommend that you book the taxi to the airport yourself. The hotel staff tried to push me with a taxi, who refused to use the meter and wanted to charge triple the trip's real price!

Room Tip: At least my superior room on the ground floor was very nice, maybe a bit small for two people, but c...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank TiinaJ_2013
Gufr0n, General Manager at Sense Hotel Seminyak, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2013

Dear Ms Tiina_J 2013,

Warmest greetings from Sense Hotel Seminyak,

Thanks for providing your review, and we are glad to read that our services could fulfill your needs.
We have taken note about the taxi so it will not be happening anymore.

We look forward to having your staying with us again

Reviewed March 7, 2013

I stayed at Sense hotel Seminyak for six nights in Feb 2013. I booked and paid for a superior room with a balcony but was given a room with a window which I could see directly into the bedroom next door. The bathroom was very small and smelly - I had the extractor fan in the bathroom turned on all night to get rid of the wafts of sewerage.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Susan W
Gufr0n, General Manager at Sense Hotel Seminyak, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2013

Dear Ms Lucybr0wn,

Warmest greetings from Sense Hotel Seminyak,

Thank you for taking your time to post your comment, we appreciate your feedback. However, please be informed that our room is divided into 3 categories those are Superior without balcony, Deluxe with balcony and Honeymoon Suite. There might be different information featured if Superior Room is with balcony. And yet, we will check and revise it in order to avoid further misunderstanding for our future clients.

With regards to the extractor fan (we assume that it is the exhaust fan placed at the bathroom ceiling) is installed for air circulation and it is integrated with the light switch, so it will always turned on when the light is on. Your feedback of smelly bathroom comes to our attention too, we will take care of it.

Hope that we can have you staying with us again.

Reviewed March 6, 2013

It was my girlfriend's birthday and we decided to stay in Sense for 3 nights. The staffs were very helpful and provide all assistance to us whenever we have any queries. On the 3rd day (my girlfriend birthday), the staffs came to our room as a surprise with a decorated birthday cake and sang birthday song to wish her. The location is quite good as it was near beach and also some other eateries in Seminyak. Room is clean and spacious. Would definitely recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Francis_711

Dear Mr Francis_711

Warmest greetings from Sense Hotel Seminyak,

Thank you for providing your review, we are delighted to read that you enjoy your stay as well as the surprise for your girlfriend.

Appreciate your efforts for recommending us too.

Reviewed February 27, 2013

This hotel is fairly new and in a good location in Seminyak, right near Seminyak Square and a short walk to the nearest Minimart. I booked for my boyfriend and I as well as a room for my mum and sister through Booking.com.
My mum and sister had a deluxe room with balcony and a request for non-smoking room. I booked a superior for myself and boyfriend with a smoking room request, although the superior does not have a balcony. I assumed that you could smoke in the superior room (we prefer windows open though), because when I booked with Booking.com they gave you the option of requesting a smoking room in the superior category.
When we arrived my boyfriend and I were told we couldnt smoke in our room because it didnt have a balcony. I was immediately angered and pointed out our booking.com preference for a smoking superior room. They said that we could pay to upgrade to a deluxe room with balcony so we could smoke in our room, but I refused to pay because there was clearly a mistake made with our booking instructions. After getting me wound up and angry from this argument, the concierge spoke to his manager twice and they eventually moved us to a different, albeit inferior room with a balcony. We had a fifth floor room overlooking the pool to begin with and we ended up in a ground floor room with a balcony and view of a wall. The balconies dont even have chairs! They obviously dont cater for people who smoke or like to sit on their balconies. This initial experience ruined my time there, although the concierge was very obliging and polite and all the hotel staff were friendly and sweet. Im not sure if the mistake was the fault of the hotel or Booking.com, but surely the hotel ought to be aware of booking mistakes with their agents?
The first room we had and the one we moved to were comfortable, but both times the bathroom and shower floors were dirty. There was mold, soapscum and previous occupants' body hair on the floors, so I wore thongs while showering in this supposedly 4 star hotel.
There is no free water provided in the rooms only minibar beverages which you have to pay for.
The breakfast buffet was disappointing only because the pastries served were stale and obviously left over from the previous day's breakfast.
The hotel and pool area lacks any beauty or balinese flair, it feels like a concrete jungle.
I hate to write a bad review but after all what is Tripadvisor for except to warn people about wasting their hard earned money on a much anticipated holiday?
The only thing the Sense Hotel has going for it is the wonderful, friendly staff. I know its not their fault and I hate to think that they might cop the blame for things out of their control.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Janelle B
Gufr0n, General Manager at Sense Hotel Seminyak, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2013

Dear Ms Janelle B,

Warmest greetings from Sense Hotel Seminyak.

Thank you for your feedback where we will discuss internally for improvement.
And yet, there are things that might arise misunderstanding. All our rooms are non smoking rooms, however clients may smoke in the balcony when available. Unfortunately, due to space reasons we do not set up any chairs on the balcony. We will check and revise content on Booking.com to avoid further misunderstanding about this in-room smoking possibilities.
With regards to the complimentary water, we provide 2 bottled water in your room and it will be replenished daily.

We appreciate your positive comments on our staffs, we will try to keep that level.

Once again thank you for your feedback and hopefully we will be able to cater you on your next stay with us.

Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

Only had a night here this stay as we were moving to a villa the next day with some friends.

The hotel organised an airport transfer which was no trouble as we came in on a late flight and took us to our villa the next day after contacting them for directions.

The room was nice and clean and as this is a new hotel still in really good condition and everything works well, my only complaint is the bathroom is a little small but you don't spend your holiday in it so its not such a big issue.

The service is great staff really friendly and most of them remembered us from our last visit which was nice.

The location is fantastic, easy walking distance to seminyak square, grocer and grind, ku de ta and potato head etc etc

Would recommend and stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank Shaun A
Gufr0n, General Manager at Sense Hotel Seminyak, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2013

Dear Mr Anning,

Warmest greetings from Sense Hotel Seminyak,

Thanks a lot for your review and the chance to host you eventhough on your short stay. It was nice to have you again with us.

Once again thank you for recommending us too.
Look forward to seeing you again and again at Sense Hotel Seminyak.