“Great Budget Hotel Convienently Located”

Grandmas Plus Hotel Seminyak
Ranked #75 of 146 Hotels in Seminyak
Balikpapan, Indonesia
“Great Budget Hotel Convienently Located”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I arrived one night early for a conference I was attending in Bali and stayed here for one night. Check in was fast and efficient. The room was basic but clean and comfortable. Staff was polite and helpful. I'm not sure I would stay with the family but if I was traveling alone or even with just my wife I think this place would be more than sufficient. There are plenty of restaurants etc within walking distance so there is no need for a taxi. This is nice as traffic can be a bit of a pain during high season. Some may find the hotel a bit loud since the halls are open air. I didn't have a problem sleeping though. I felt the place was good value for the price. I would stay again if I needed a place for a night or two.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Perth
Reviewed April 4, 2013

I spent one night at Grandmas Hotel in February. I booked as I ended up flying in to Bali a day earlier, due to the flights being considerably cheaper. I had already booked 5 nights at a Villa in Seminyak, so just wanted somewhere cheaper to spend the first night.

On the plus side to Grandmas Hotel, the staff were very nice and helpful. There was a small pool at the front, which was very refrshing to go for a dip in. There is a cafe attached, and the breakfast I chose (maple pancake) was nice and great value.

On the negative side, the room was tiny, but this was expected. However, I didn't find it to be very clean, particularly the bathroom. A lot of the silicone and grout in the bathroom had blackened, leaving it looking grotty. I didn't end up using the shower, deciding to wait until I checked in to my next hotel, because it was really dark and the grout looked mouldy.

Also, the bathroom had only a tinted sliding door, not offering a lot of privacy.

It seems at the front of the hotel there is a taxi racket going on. We went to get a taxi as a metered blue bird taxi had just pulled up. As we approached it another man, who had a transport car', opened the taxis door and exchanged heated words. He ended up thumping on the top of the taxi and trying to kick it as it drove away. It was really intimidating. The security at the front asked us where we were going, and loaded our luggage into the aggressive man's car, despite me saying I didn't want to travel with him. In the end, we relented and got in the taxi. The driver was okay, however, I didn't like that I couldn't catch a metered taxi fom Grandma's Hotel (and we didn't want to drag our luggage down the uneven street to try and flag one down).

It's an okay hotel for a short stay, but I wouldn't recommend it as your primary hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank WorksOnly2Travel
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed April 3, 2013

The hotel location is close to the beach, just 5 mins walk. While the beach does not have white sands, it does offer some good drinking spot there.
The hotel rooms are not huge. It just nice for 2. The bed is clean and comfortable. The toilet is functional but a little aged. Still you have hot and cold water.
The Spa service in the hotel's 5th floor is superb and is just great after a day of shopping.
Just 10 mins walk to the left of the hotel toward Jln Legian is full of shops of all kinds. Good for the ladies.

If you are looking for a drinking hole to go to, avoid those on the left of the hotel. They are gays bar. I would go toward gardo gardo restaurant and look for those along the beach.

A normal taxi drive from Kuta beach back to the hotel will cost you 2.6USD on avg.

Room Tip: Book directly at the hotel web site. All Twin room are 33USD per day. This is cheaper then most off...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank sunbeamrn
Jakarta
Reviewed April 2, 2013

I've stayed at Grand Mas Seminyak about four or five times and agree with most other reviewers that, at Rp330,000 net per night, the room rate offers very good value. The hotel has a very strategic location only about five minutes walk from the beach and the same distance away in the other direction from cafes, restaurants and bars on the same road.

The rooms, though small, are bright and clean and well equipped with effective a/c and a wall-mounted LED TV. They should provide more than the three minuscule clothes hangers, though (and perhaps a beaker in the bathroom to place your toothbrush and paste ... ).

My main complaint is that on most of my stays at the hotel the wi-fi was either very slow or not working at all. Judging by their reaction, the staff must receive many complaints about the wi-fi and it's simply inconceivable that the management/owners aren't aware of the problem, It seems that they are reluctant to make the capital investment necessary to improve the bandwidth available at the premises, which would go a long way to solving the current problems.

Come on Grand Mas, in-room wi-fi is one of your selling points so do something about it! You've been operating for more than two years now and had plenty of time to sort this out.

Room Tip: When booking, ask if you can have a room facing the rear of the property as the road along the front...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Jim R
Adelaide
Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

Our stay here was very pleasant. The staff were helpful and friendly at all times. The rooms are modern and very clean. Rooms were serviced daily with clean towels. I agree with other reports that some linen items had stains but were clean so this did not concern us. For the price paid the standard was very good. Hotel is close to beach and many restaurants.
Negatively the rooms were very small but well designed to compensate. The breakfast was great quality but we were still hungry. Only water and no juice or coffee. I suggest you book room without breakfast. Food at the restaurant was well priced so arrange your own breakfast.
Overall very impressed. Also spa on 5th floor great.

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank PatAdelaide
Jakarta, Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
Reviewed March 30, 2013

Small ,brand new hotel and good location....especially clean...
The hotel's location is very closed to Seminyak Beach.
I think the hotel's good for business trip too.
We pay less but we have a clean room...that's the important thing.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Fransiska Xaver... T
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed March 27, 2013 via mobile

Firstly, I am not someone who likes to write bad reviews. But this is the first hotel I have stayed In Bali that makes me go through a horrific experience.I have over 100 bites by both bedbugs and mozzies. It prolly is that the linen is unclean. For our whole six nights, they did not change our bed sheets at all. Merely just tidying it up.

on our last night, me and my friend wanted to order KFC delivery as we have tried to call many times, till our credit in the SIM card is running really low. We seek the reception for help. The reception does not bother to even help us phone, despite we willing to pay for a phonecall. Their excuse was, "the hotel phone broke down.. Use your own phone" (Are you serious!!??) then tried to brush us off.. Then Put on an ignorant look.
We were hungry , all the shops are closed. We had to put up with the noises in our stomach till we checked out at 5am to catch our morning flight.

Lastly, I shall also, mention some good points of the hotel to be fair.
1. Good location and close to 66 beach.
2. Walking distance to Ku de Ta
3. The spa in the hotel is very nice.

Other than that, don't bother wasting your time. But I have to agree, what u pay is what you get. But you can find better ones. Ping hotel, fave hotel, is still a good bargain and just ard the corner. Will not come back to grandmas again. Sorry.

• Stayed March 2013