“Hidden Gem” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #28 of 141 Hotels in Seminyak
Bunbury, Australia
“Hidden Gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2014

My wife and I decided on breaking up this family trip with a few days just by ourselves in Seminyak before joining the family back in Legian for the remainder of our two weeks in Bali.

After much deliberation we decided on Ginger Suites and thought for the price quoted and location it looked ideal. We booked through Agoda and started ticking days off the calendar.

A few weeks before we headed over I thought I would drop them a message on Facebook just tp make sure they had our booking etc I had a response the same day confirming all my questions and even offering a very reasonably priced Airport Transfer if we required one. Over a couple of days several of the staff had been envolved in the Facebook chat and I was gaining confidence that I had made a good choice.

On arrival in Bali we made our way to Seminyak with a copy of the mud map the staff had sent me in hand (a good idea given it is a little difficult to find). We arrived at Ginger Suites and my very first thought was... "This is exactly what I imagined". The pictures on Trip Advisor and Agoda are 100% spot on and accurate. If you like the look of what you see... you will not be disappointed in what you get!!!

This is a very clean, very comfortable and very welcoming place to stay. It is nice and quiet and secluded and the staff are very friendly (We even met Lou and Graeme the owners on one of their frequent visits). Over all I couldn't fault it... it checked all the boxes for what we were looking for this trip and I wouldn't hesitate to go back there. If you like big hotels with hundreds of staff and six pools and four restaurants... look elsewhere for sure. But if you want to relax and undwind at your own pace, do yourself a favour.

Room Tip: Pool side suites are the go.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Neil M
Lou W, Owner at Bali Ginger Suites & Villa, responded to this review, February 20, 2014
I loved how much information you were able to include in your review. We really love how on the internet it is possible to find out so much about places before you book them. And we also believe that marketing should be accurate. Sure we wait for a beautiful sunny day, but our photos are not doctored or photoshopped, our maps are accurate and the online information reflects exactly what we say we will provide, and are pleased that you found us to be like that.

We do get bookings from Agoda but unfortunately their system does not let us contact guests directly. This means that we cannot suggest booking an airport pick-up directly with us, which is the best way to go. We are not that difficult to find, but we are just a small place so taxis usually will not know us. And our pick-up service is well priced.

Anyway thank you for choosing to stay with us and for the wonderful review. It was our pleasure to have you here, and I look forward to your next stay.

Best wishes, Lou

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2014

Since the moment we arrived, we had exceptional service from both Lou and all the staff working at the Villa. The villa itself was beautiful, very clean and had amazing bedrooms and bathrooms. The shared pool area with sun lounging chairs was an excellent place to just relax and unwind! The bedding had to be the absolute highlight for me, it was fantastic bamboo sheets and quilt coverings! I've never slept better! The staff were very helpful whenever we wanted to do something and would always point us in the right direction! Thank you so much!

Room Tip: We stayed in the 2 bedroom villa which had our own private kitchen and dining area, however, from wh...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Hayley G
Thankyou for choosing to stay with us and it was wonderful to meet you and your friends.

Glad to read that you slept well and enjoyed our linen. The bamboo linen is quite special.

I look forward to seeing you again next time. Best wishes, Lou
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2014

I stayed here for 13 nights in Jan/Feb 2014, in a poolside suite. Overall, a very good place to relax and unwind. The poolside suites have a great semi-outdoor bathroom, and the kitchen lounge area was comfortable, and the décor was modern. Having drinking water provided and a good priced mini-bar is very convenient. The pool is small but good to cool off in and relax around. The staff are very friendly and helpful in making arrangements for sightseeing and transportation. Close to the main areas of Seminyak, and an easy walk to the beach.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank CWYYC
Your wonderful review is appreciated, especially as I see you have are a "Senior Reviewer" who has written several reviews before and can give a good comparison with other options. It is a very useful tool for fellow travelers and one that we also use when we travel.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2014

Our stay at bali ginger suites was pleasant.
A little cramped for my style only being that I'm used to private villas.
Thank god we were upgraded to pool side room as balcony was like being in a backpackers lodge. Very cramped and extremely high stairs to climb with luggage.
Great location

• Stayed January 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Mimidean
Thanks for taking the time to write a review for us and for highlighting our staff and service.

We do of course offer The Shikumen Villa as a private villa option. It is a 2 bedroom villa with courtyard and plunge pool, as well as kitchen/dining/living room. It is part of Bali Ginger Suites and guests may still use the BGS pool and cafe whenever they like.

Perth West Aus
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2014

The BGS can boast what is probably the best appointed room I have stayed in in Bali. Swimming pool a metre from the door ( only 7 rooms here, and I never had to share the pool), a private courtyard/living room with kitchenette, day bed, fridge with cold beer at local shop prices etc. outside my bedroom, and a big, airy bedroom with a big, airy bed with Bamboo covers ( my first time in Bamboo sheets- very, very nice ) and connected indoor/outdoor bathroom. Air-con and other amenities all work well. There is one of those huge springwater dispensers in the kitchenette for filling drink bottles and the kettle, tea and Bali coffee supplied. The room guide is clear and helpful, and suggests a variety of local cafes and bars. Internet doesn't reach the rooms ( possibly does the pool), but is strong in the reception/bar area which has purpose built tables with electric sockets. AND, this is the first place I've ever stayed in Bali ( maybe 10 visits in the last 8 years) where my Bigpond email programme could both receive AND send. Most convenient.
The owners Graeme and Lou ( Australian, from Perth, living off-site but much in evidence), have chosen and trained their staff carefully. Everything was done well, with professional aplomb and in clear English. Bed was turned down in the evening.The front desk girl easily did a simultaneous translation for me when I had to phone my Balinese tailor ( suggested by Lou) to clarify something to do with some pieces I had ordered.
The pictures on their Tripadvisor page or their website really tell the rest of the story- it's a stylish place and very well designed with privacy and easy communication in mind.
Nearby are stylish and quirky bars and excellent restaurants serving drinks and food at about half Australian prices. You can, of course, eat much cheaper in the local Warungs.
Apart from eating and drinking well and in very good company over the four nights I stayed ,one particularly nice thing I did while in Seminyak was go to the beach before Sunset, pull up at quaint little place facing the ocean, drink beer and eat Squid, barter with a kite seller and discuss the world with the Swiss expat at the next table, one of many people from many countries who've chosen to make Bali home. Seminyak defines Cosmopolitan.
The cons? Only one. BGS is situated in a quiet lane off a quiet street, but Seminyak is a busy place, and perfect if your idea of fun is shopping, having clothes made, eating well, getting massaged, going out for drinks and dancing - there are bars and clubs to suit every age and interest within walking distance. It's also a noisy place after dark, and I doubt there's anywhere you can stay in Seminyak where you won't hear the sounds of a Disco in the distance.

Room Tip: I really liked the layout and amenity of the poolside room, but for light sleepers, I heard tell tha...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank Sebastian68
It is always difficult to know what to write after receiving such a wonderful review. It is very much appreciated, especially coming from an experienced traveler who is a regular to Bali.

We realise that Bali Ginger Suites may not be perfect for everyone, but we do think it is a great option for people wanting to stay in the heart of Seminyak and enjoy the beaches, nightlife, restaurants etc, as well as to enjoy the property itself.

Again, thanks, and we look forward to seeing you next time.

Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2014

Recently stayed at the villas for a quick shoot over to Bali for 4 days. It was a great place to stay with airy and spacious room. We stayed in poolside suite 3 which was at the end of the complex and very private. Enjoyed a lovely pool area ,open air bathroom , comfortable bedding and most importantly cheep drinks from the fridge. No point in going down to the shops and buying Bintang when the fridge is stocked and you only get charged 20k for one.Well located , small walk down a laneway and onto the main street to the beach and go the other way to heaps of shops , massages etc. Santai massage was very good , just onto the main street turn left and 10 metres. Great restaurants to the left on Drupadi . We had a bike which made it easy to cruise into Eat Street ( 2 mins ). Staff were great and assisted us with many restaurant bookings and other directional queries. See you soon Graeme and Lou ... Steve and Jo ...

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Steve A
It is great to read that you enjoyed your holiday here. Bali is of course a Perth favourite being so close and we have a number of guests who manage to get an extra day or two off and grab a cheap flight just for the weekend.

Your comments regarding our staff are most welcome. They are a great team and we know how important it is when you are on holidays to get some friendly and useful advice about where to go and what to do while you are here.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2014

After searching for accommodation for the second part of my trip I stumbled across this place and what a find it was. The staff were fantastic and showed me through one of the 1br poolside apartments. I was so impressed I left my existing accommodation 2 days early to move here. A small complex of 10 rooms, it is much more than a hotel and it felt like a villa. A large room with a a semi open plan shower and stone bath and separate kitchen, table and day bed with a small garden separating here and the bedroom. Free, filtered water was a bonus as was the extremely reasonably priced and well stocked mini bar where the prices were pretty much the same as Circle K. The staff were incredibly friendly without being intrusive and 24hr reception provided a secure environment. Good wi-fi reception was found in the public area and in the kitchen area of my room but not so much the bedroom area. This was not an issue though. Location wise, it is only a 15min walk to Eat Street, 10min walk to Seminyak beach or a 1min walk to the bars and restaurants of Dyana Pura. Some noise from the bars can be heard from parts of the hotel though the owners have done a great job of minimising this and was not an issue. A great nights sleep could still be had. The hotel is only about 18mths old and the owners seem to be looking to improve even further on what is already a high standard. I highly recommend this hotel for singles, couples and would be an ideal location for a group of friends. I will be back again!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Darren B
That is a really nice review and we appreciate you coming and staying with us and taking the time to post a response. It rally is a terrific tool for other people when booking accommodation, and for us it is a great way to get some feedback from our guests.

As you say in the review, as the owners we are looking to improve our place when we can. We are having the wi-fi looked at to see if we can get a stronger signal in the bedrooms (It will be our 3rd revamp of the wi-fi).

Again, thanks for the review, and we look forward to seeing you next time you are in Bali.