“serving cold food”

Taco Beach Grill
Ranked #62 of 536 Restaurants in Seminyak
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Inspired Mexican Cuisine Prepared with Integrity. A small, authentic, roadside-style "taqueria" like in Tijuana or Cabo, we are Seminyak's only American owned, and authentic taco cafe featuring deluxe roadside-style tacos. Renowned for our huge variety of salsas and tortillas made fresh from scratch every few hours, we are the Home of the Original Babi Guling Taco.
Utrecht, Utrecht, Netherlands
“serving cold food”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

dont know how they did so well in 2012, but last week the food served was cold and the portions way too small. Very dissapointed

Bob N, Owner at Taco Beach Grill, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Sorry to disappoint you. It is possible you're food wasn't as warm or hot as you like, That could happen. Mistakes are made on occasion.

But I am literally shocked to hear you say our portions are too small. We are well known for the size of our serve, so you leave me.....wondering? Out other reviews indicate that our serves are rather too large for many, if you read down.

I'd be interested to know what you ordered, and whether you spoke about it to the server, or the manager. I was also likely on site. As our policy is to do whatever it takes to satisfy the customer it appears, for whatever reason, you said nothing to your server or manager, or the owner. Is that correct? We ALWAYS replace a complainer's food, or just take it off the bill, though it's extremely rare to receive a complaint. If you don't like it, you don't pay. Period.

I would be interested if you could email me and give me more details of your experience. For a customer to have a complaint go unsatisfied is as rare as a three dollar bill, and merits a more careful look, so that we can improve in whatever areas need attention. Thanks for you kind attention. I can be emailed at info@tacobeachgrill.com . I look forward to receiving your specifics, please.

Thanks. Bob.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Rockingham, Western Australia, Australia
“Great place to stuff your face”
Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

We visited here on our recent trip to bali, almost immediately after alighting the plane and throwing our bags into the hotel.
We were quite hungry so we may have over ordered a little. I think the staff were a bit weirded out by the two slim(ish) Australians inhaling dishes.
We had the following;

Jalapeño Popper, Chicken Caesar Quesadilla, Babi Guiling Tacos, Prawn Tacos, Magharitas, Salsa Quattro and two tequila shots.

The popper was very good, not oily or soggy and mild enough that most people could enjoy it. Partner really liked the quesadilla, with good reason. The cheese was nice and stringy and the tortillas were good quality.
Both tacos was very tasty and the pork in the Babi Guiling tacos was extremely tender. However the rice in these is quite strongly flavoured with clove or something similar and may not be for everyone. All of the salsas were excellent, particularly the pico di gallo and there was plenty to go round. Magharitas were delicious and a lovely complement to the meal.

The hut itself is slightly shabby looking but that's part of the charm, and nobody expects marble floors and chandeliers at a roadside Mexican in Bali. The staff were all nice enough, and the knick knacks and slogans about the place were very entertaining.

Prices were all reasonable from what I remember.

If you like a good Mexican meal, taco beach is definitely worth a visit.

1 Thank Samantha M
Bob N, Owner at Taco Beach Grill, responded to this review, July 7, 2013
Thanks, I enjoyed reading your review. My staff were probably not weirded out by you two, I give them a hefty dose of Hunter S. Thompson weirdness daily. Plus, I think it's possible they are naturally slightly weird. They probably think I'm weird too. It's a cultural thing.

Loved your descriptions of the food, and about the rice, well, Mexican rice is (or should be) a highly seasoned rice. Although we use about 11 ingredients in our rice, clove isn't one of the spices. Our theory is that each component of a Mexican meal should have a distinct personality and character, either of texture, or flavor, or mouth feel. My design approach is to attempt to create a whole which is greater than the sum of its parts, by using harmonious but contrasting taco or burrito components to create a well-rounded taste experience. Ideally, as you work your way through one of our tacos or burritos, we hope you discover little surprises that make you say wow.

And yes, our taqueria is pretty accurate and true to Mexico's Baja style, complete down to the garish hand painted tiles, the saltillo terra cotta floors, and generally ghetto-chic Tijuana brothel decor. Really, this is a highly sanitized version of what you'd acrtually find in Mexico. Except much cleaner, more hygienic, and better kept, I hope.

In any event, thanks for the nice review and a great read.

Warm regards,
Bob Nicksic, Director of Taco Technology, Dept. of Salsa Sciences
Taco Beach Grill - Home of the Babi Guling Taco!
Perth, Australia
“Nice Nachos”
Reviewed July 2, 2013

nice nachos and babi guling taco. Will be coming here again. Pickles, side dishes were better than other places around the area. My last beer was too warm to drink, which I only noticed after an extra-large gulp, which was a shame, otherwise I would have given the place 5 stars.

• Visited July 2013
Bob N, Owner at Taco Beach Grill, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Thanks for a proper review. I agree we deserve to lose a star due to warm beer, which I take very seriously. In this climate warm beer should be a criminal offense, or at least a misdemeanor, and I will see to it that the bounder who served you such is soundly boxed about the ears. Or rehabilitated for his or her carelessness. Many thanks for this helpful comment. Next time you come please introduce yourself so I can make this right.

By the way Taco Beach Policy is : If you don't like it, for any reason, we will not accept your money. Period. Therefore, dear future guests, please let your server and mgmnt know if you find anything whatsoever not to you liking. BTW, fyi, all our salsas (fresh-made 3 or 4 times throughout the day) are free and unlimited. If you find a salsa you love - and you will - feel free to ask for a free refill.

Warm regards,

Bob Nicksic, Director of Taco Technology, Dept. of Salsa Sciences
Taco Beach Grill - Boldly going where no taco has gone before. Ever.
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Yummy food at good prices”
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Went to Taco Beach for dinner. Was very busy but service was excellent and the food was very nice. The Caramel Vanilla Latte smoothie is particularly nice and helps to keep you cool on hot Bali nights.

1 Thank midwifejo
Townsville, Australia
“Very good food, not great.”
Reviewed June 28, 2013

Went here specifically to try the Babi Guling tacos that are so highly spoken of by other reviewers. While I enjoyed my meal, I would certainly not say it was fantastic. The price was very reasonable and the service was great (like almost everywhere in Bali). Having not tried any other Mexican restaurants in Bali I cannot make any other recommendations, but felt just a little disappointed after reading so many positive reviews before going. Perhaps I was expecting too much. As the title says, very good food but not great although certainly did not feel ripped off.

Bob N, Manager at Taco Beach Grill, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
I appreciate your review. It was thoughtful and well said. I am not surprised you're a bit disappointed that it is not as fantastic as you hoped. TA reviews are simply a gauge of customer satisfaction, not style points, or location. People often come in with exceedingly high expectations, giving our TA rating.

We aren't trying to be the Four Seasons or La Lucciola; we are, as I point out in the description, just a taqueria, and in the Baja tradition which we use as our baseline, with a decor best described as something between "Tijuana brothel and Mexican ghetto-chic. "

Please allow me, however, to clarify for you, and any other reviewers of the TA community, that TA is for many of us restaurateurs a critical component of our success. Therefore, accuracy in your star designation is vitally important, both for the restaurant and it's staff, and to other members of the TA community.

To this end, please note that a 3 star designation first of all means "average.' A 4 star designation means "very good." As I understand it, a 3 star designation also means " average AND not recommended". It injures or lowers the overall rating of a restaurant such as ours, which was recently awarded TripAdvisor's certificate of Excellence 2013.

In fact, they recently wrote us congratulating us on being in the top 10% of all restaurant's worldwide in customer satisfaction.

Glad you enjoyed your meal and service, please come again - with lower expectations please!

Rgds,