“Back again. Try and keep me away” 5 of 5 bubbles

Taco Beach Grill
Ranked #61 of 501 Restaurants in Seminyak
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Dining on a budget, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Free Wifi, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: Inspired Mexican Cuisine Prepared with Integrity. A small, authentic, roadside-style "taqueria" like in Tijuana or Cabo, we are Seminyak's only American owned, and authentic taco cafe featuring deluxe roadside-style tacos. Renowned for our huge variety of salsas and tortillas made fresh from scratch every few hours, we are the Home of the Original Babi Guling Taco.
Gold Coast
“Back again. Try and keep me away”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2013

Lets be up front.

This is Mexican food. This is NOT Tex Mex. Most people who I talk too in quiet whispers about this place, have only ever eaten Tex Mex, or say, a watered down Aussie equivalent. So when I took 6 mates along, most had no idea what I meant by REAL Mexican.

This is the stuff of food carts in Baja, Guadalajara, Mexico City and even the classier establishments of Cancun and Cozumel.

Bob, a US Expat who has made Bali his home, is one of the nicest guys you will meet in Bali. Full of interesting tales, and a man of passion about his food and his craft.

We had found this place last year on advice of Tripadvisor reviews and were not dissapointed. When I knew we were back in Bali this June, I made sure we set time aside to go visit Bob and sample some Tacos and Burritos.

The menu has changed slightly, and there is more snacky items to try and share. Many of these are unashamedly American in their basis, but with a Bali twist. Bobs keen to ensure local spices are added to US and Mexican dishes to give a unique fusion in tastes. We had the Chilli Poppers, a gooey cheese stuffed chilli coated in crispy Panko and fried. Lovely... with the slightest of chilli kicks. I loved the Nachos too, with its selection of unique Salsas, and the cripsy corn chips and guacamole. Then we had the KFC Chicken, and Buffalo wings. The KFC was crispy, but of course the chickens here in Bali are so small, that a serving is probably only good for one, and not appropriate to share. The Buffalo wings are New York Style with a slightly vinegary hot sauce, and a side of blue cheese dressing is there to compliment the sour taste of the wings. I am very particular about my Blue Cheese sauce for my wings, so my only dissapointment was that... BUT... the others in my group liked it. Everyone has different tastes, and that needs to be taken in account in any review. So far, we had partaken of the US and Tex Mex side of the menu in the starters.... The mains... are all MEXICO ON A PLATE !

This is where I start salivating everytime I think of the place. I am taken back to late night tacos off the carts in side streets of Guadalajara. There are so many different flavours to choose from on Bobs menu. If you want guidance... the Babi Guling and the Shredded Beef are good mainstays, and you will never go wrong. The hand made corn tortillas for the tacos are unique...Get them fried to a crispy hardness if thats what you like...they will do that for you.

My wife, loves the Texas style smokey beef burrito served with rice and black beans. This is a meal in itself. Consider this if tempted by the long list of starters. You need a big appetite for a Burrito and starters.

I had 2 Babi Guling Tacos and 2 Shredded beef. I ate 3 of them. Since last year, I think the servings have increased in size as well.

OK.. I had 6 others with me. 3 loved it, and 3 not so much. As I said, it depends on what your expectations are, and what your tastes are. This is not American Mexican or Aussie Mexican.. Its REAL Mexican, with the added bonus of Bali influneces if you want to add that.

I am heading back this week for lunch to try out some of Bobs yet to be released dishes. I am unashamdely a fan of this place, because I have found this food nowhere else in the World... except Mexico.. and lets be honest, thats a lot further from the Gold Coast than Bali.

Everyone and I mean EVERYONE in the group loved the Margaritas too......... In fact our drinks bill far outweighed the food, I think Bob needs to offer Jugs of the stuff :)

1 Thank Tagnbrag
Bob N, Owner at Taco Beach Grill, responded to this review, June 16, 2013
Thanks a million for your glowing review. I'm not sure what Tex-Mex actually is, since I only went to Texas once, about 30 years ago. But I'm sure this isn't it, since the direction we're heading is very fusion, sort of a psychedelic Rick Bayless approach...yet with the major traditional Mexican favorites unadulterated, like you'd find in a taqueria in LA or Ensenada.

This week we are launching, in limited quantities for test reasons, some original, new fusion items, for example. First is the Sumatran Chicken with Tiger Sauce, an original fusion of rare Sumatran spices of the Batak tribe, Balinese spices, and Mexican spices. Please note that no tigers were actually harmed in the making of this taco (see, we DID learn from experiences with the Spotted Owl Ceviche!)

Also, we've created the Javanese Potato and Peas Curry Potato Burrito, which is bedded in arugula, topped with probiotic sour cream, sliced avocado, and diced fresh pears or apples.

Of course, for those who want truly authentic Mexican representative of the Baja Peninsula, we offer the Baja Fish Taco, Carne Asada Beef Tenderloin, etc. And our Shredded chicken cooked in spicy chocolate Oaxacan mole sauce is rarely seen outside Mexico.

For the faint of heart and for my own personal comfort food, I added the Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich(with a Taco Beach twist) and the BBQ Beef Sandwich with cole slaw.

With regards to the guests who were less the delighted, I would much appreciate to know what they thought and why, so that perhaps we can improve in those areas. If you have specific feedback we could use, please write us at info@tacobeachgrill.com .

Thanks again for your five star review. On behalf of my staff, and myself, I hope you have a five-star visit while you're here in Bali. God bless and safe travels.

Warm regards,
Bob, Director of Taco Technology, Taco Beach Grill - Home of the Babi Guling Taco!

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Denpasar, Indonesia
“Excellent, original Mexican food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

This is (for once) not a Tex Mex restaurant but the Bali take on a genuine Mexican restaurant. The owner, who is from California, has really managed to take real Mexican cuisine (which, unlike its Texan variety, is NOT covered in refried beans and melted cheese!) and make his own twist on it. The Babi Guling (spit roasted pork, a Balinese speciality) soft tacos are to die for, as an example. . Fabulous home cooked tortilla chips with the most amazing homemade salsas as well.Very informal, small place right at the centre of Seminyak. A favorite stop when we are in the area.

Bob N, Owner at Taco Beach Grill, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Thanks a million for your five star review, and especially your appreciation of what we do!

Our goal is to equal or exceed in quality and flavor any Mexican food you've had, anywhere. For the most part, our style is modeled after Northern Mexico immigrant food, which you'd find in Los Angeles or Tijuana, except that we use some French culinary techniques and American hillbilly techniques to enhance the flavors of the locally available produce and meats. We take a lot of pride in making everything in house, we even grind our own corn for tortillas and culture most of our own sour cream.

Keep an eye out for another original item we have in development: Sumatran Chicken Taco with Tiger Sauce. It's shredded chicken marinated in a unique fusion of Mexican, Javanese, and rare Sumatran spices. Note to our vegetarian friends, and members of Peta; no Sumatran tigers were actually harmed in the making of this sauce. (Yes, we DID learn from our experiments with the Spotted Owl Ceviche. :D)

Thanks again. On behalf of myself and my staff, we wish you a five star day in every way!

Bob, Director of Taco Technology
Taco Beach Grill - Boldly going where no taco has gone before. Ever.
Sydney, Australia
“Believe the reviews”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013

Based on the reviews we tried this little gem last night and walked away very happy diners.

Fresh, light, tasty Mexican food just like it is in Mexico itself. Definitely no Tex-Mex here.

For a starter we shared the guacamole and home made tortillas which were served with a selection of dips.

For mains, do yourself a favor and try the Babi Guling tacos or burritos. My wife had the soft tacos and I the burritos.

We'll definitely be back. Please note that the little restaurant only has twenty seats so probably best to book.

Bob N, Owner at Taco Beach Grill, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Thank you for your kind words. I am delighted that we are being recognized for our original efforts, and for not being Tex-Mex. Our forthcoming new menu will have a few new fusion surprises on it, in addition to the Babi Guling Taco, Smoked Duck Taco a L'Orange and other originals.

Have a great day, and thanks for reminding the TripAdvisor community that it's a good idea to book a table, as our premises are most def not large enough some nights to get a seat without a wait, We look forward to seeing you again. Thank you again!

Warm regards,
Bob, Director of Taco Technology
Department of Salsa Sciences - Boldly going where no taco has gone before. Ever.
Broome, Australia
“Very nice”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2013

You have to try this little place food fresh , nachos yummy . I wanted to try last year but didn't get there so this yr was a must. Hubby and I both had burritos I had chicken he had smokey beef . The beef a little too sweet and smokey for me but my chicken was lovely. One tip make sure you are hungry or order less we were soooo full when left. Service was very good and so very cheap for what you get, very good value!

Melbourne, Australia
“Gluten free friendly”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2013

Tiny restaurant but fantastic service, price and food. We came here because my boyfriend is coeliac and they cater for his food allergy here. They make epic gluten free apple pie which he loved. There were 8 of us dining here and everyone had something different it was all fantastic. The staff were friendly and the prices are cheap. How can you go wrong.

Visited June 2013
Bob N, Owner at Taco Beach Grill, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Thanks for your great review, and your appreciation of our attempts to satisfy celiacs (and also, vegetarians.)

Frankly, I had no idea how much demand there was for gluten-free dining, until we came up with the gluten-free Deep Fried Apple Pie. The response was so surprising, and the appreciation so high, that I am now looking into ways to make gluten-free burrito wraps, using various combinations of (hopefully locally sourced) wheat flour alternatives.Our tacos, are all gluten-free, of course, aside from the battered and breaded deep fried fish tacos.

Have a great day and please come visit us again soon.

Best regards,

Bob
Director of Taco Technology, Taco Beach Grill - Home of the Babi Guling Taco!