“Good, but not great”

Ranked #19 of 146 Hotels in Seminyak
Brisbane, Australia
“Good, but not great”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

I was really looking foward to staying at this hotel, which, by my standards, is quite expensive. First impressions are good: the pool area is lovely, the gardens are well maintained and the entries to rooms and villas are intriguing - carvings and statues everywhere. And then there's the actual room. Kitchy, uninspired art work, curtains hung on the most basic of wires and old fashioned hooks, a balcony which is so small that to get the door open is nearly impossible because the door whacks into the lounger. The whole brushed/raw cement look is very modern I know, but it doesn't make the place feel warm or inviting. The bathroom was well ventilated and lit though, and that's rare in Bali.
The room cleaning service was a bit hit and miss and you never knew when they were going to do it, and what was going to be forgotten that day. There's an electrical switch which is unmarked and they must have turned it off - it was for the fridge. Didn't they notice the wet spot in front of the fridge and the water inside it? The toiletry items I used on the first day were never replaced and sometimes I had all my towels, other times not. Their English was very poor so it was a bit awkward asking for anything.
Sleep quality was poor. The room was NOISY. Dogs in neighboring yards barked all night, and most of the day. 'Disco' noise and traffic noise was audible every night. I could hear the people next door showering and...
Front of house staff and bar/restaurant staff were friendly and the breakfast and menu were good. It's pleasant by the pool if you can get a lounger. I hate it when people leave their towels on chairs and then go away for hours on end and I think the staff should do something about this when furniture availability is at a premium.
On the whole it would take very little to make this place great. The noise issue too could be solved with some insulation in the rooms. A bit of training for staff would help a lot.
On the whole I enjoyed my stay but I don't think I would go back. There are better value hotels which feel friendlier and more inviting. And are quieter.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank karinaus
fred n, Public Relations Manager at Blue Karma Hotel, responded to this review, July 13, 2013
Thank you for your feedback and we are delighted to read you have enjoyed our team and the service offered. We are very sorry for the discrepancies in our housekeeping department and have shared this information with our team for further developments. It is true that Semyniak is a busy vibrant center also including wonderful local communities around us which also gives the area a great cultural feel. We trust in having the chance of another visit in the future during a quieter period of the year. Warmest regards from our entire team.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Perth
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Was REALLY looking forward to this hotel based on reviews, but felt the overall experience was lacking due to some odd contradictions that come into play with this place.

First is location - you have to really be on the lookout for the small Gang Bemo (side-street) where it is located. Not many taxi drivers have heard of it. IF you know Seminyak then OK you can help direct the driver, but for a first time visitor this may be a problem. The main road and the nearest side-street do have quite large blue signs, so be on the lookout for those.

Upon arrival the hotel is visually stunning. A great reception, leading out to the fabulous pool area. The staff are polite and attentive - in 5 days we never saw any evidence that a couple of other reviews mentioned of problems with staff.

The rooms are very good - although the wall art choice is poor and killed the theme dead (a hobby of the owners apparently?). The overall lighting is really good - probably the best I've seen anywhere in Bali (true of the rest of the resort too - the designer clearly had an LED & lighting fetish, and it works well throughout).

The bathroom is just a plain brushed concrete finish on floors & walls/ceiling that I know others haven't liked. I can see what the designers have gone for with this, but I can also see why some people wouldn't like it! It can be a bit oppressive - especially when its all wet from the wet-room style open shower.

The toiletries were well provided for and re-stocked as needed, and the big mirror with great LED surround-lights was very useful.

Out toilet bowl was not securely fastened to the floor, so having a perch was an unnecessarily exciting experience! The bathroom door also lost the pin to one of its hinges in the middle of one night, which we heard drop heavily onto the floor with some concern (but the door stayed in place thankfully).

For some reason the bathroom window is open to the elements (in the suite rooms at least - I know the villas have fully outdoor shower rooms), so it will be hot/humid in there as the weather dictates. To cool it you need to leave the door open to the bedroom, and that risks mossies getting through into the main bedroom. I'm not sure what they are trying to achieve with this.

Our room had a small balcony that was unusable as the door had a damaged handle, and the crammed-in furniture on the balcony made opening the door near-impossible.

The main bedroom has a high vaulted ceiling of exposed brushwood/thatch. This may be one of the reasons the room is so noisy - this material provides very little sound insulation.

Several others have mentioned the noise issue, and I am VERY thankful I came with a few sets of earplugs, or I think I may have struggled to sleep at all. The nearby screeching of cockerels goes on through most of the night and day, as does the rumble and beeping of traffic. The hotel is also close enough to the bars of Seminyak's Jalan Camplung Tanduk to clearly hear the thumping music and screeching microphone of the post 10-pm lady-boy shows (not every night to be fair, but on occasion). We may have got this a bit worse as we were on one of the upper-level suite rooms. Maybe the lower rooms with a slab ceiling or private villa may be a bit better?

My other BIG negative was the number of kids in the resort. The hotel & pool area is just not big enough to provide any personal space or quiet areas, and one morning there was 7 under 6 yrs kids running/screeching/jumping in the pool. This destroys and sense that you are in a peaceful retreat! Again ear protection - in the form of a very loud MP3 player was the only way I got through it! I would imagine with the number of multi-bedroom villas on the complex the issue of larger families would be an ongoing one. If I were to come back again, I'd go for a villa with a private garden/pool to ensure a bit of daytime peace.

Breakfast was OK but a little basic. just a cooked-for-you egg choice & 2 rashers of salty bacon - and that's it for hot food! On 2 days we were offered crepes - but I couldn't see why that can't be offered every day? The buffet items were pretty drab looking, and I never bothered much with them. I tried the muesli a couple of times, but they load it with very large pieces of dried pear/apple that is difficult to chew, so I gave up. The rest of it is dries cakes and some fresh fruit slices, and a toaster that takes a long time to do any toasting - so my bread-free diet started here!

On the good side the locations is very handy - you can walk to dozens of great shops & restaurants from here, and there is easy access to the new bypass/underpass road to get to the airport or the Bali Galleria Mall, and round to Seminyak square.

The staff were all wonderful and very helpful, and the standard of rooms service great.
The poolside sunbeds are really comfy & sturdy, and the towels provided were large and soft.

Overall an OK experience, but I might look for somewhere a bit quieter next time (but that's a personal choice, and nothing really that is 'wrong' with the hotel - it's just an indication of how hectic Kuta/Seminyak is getting now. Families & youngsters may not mind this so much - I'm just getting old and grumpy!)

Room Tip: Upper floor rooms with the thatched roof may provide less insulation from street noise.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Boff_Traveller
Selamat Siang, Thank you for your review and we are all delighted to hear of your great feedback on our team and the services offered. We do have a different offering in terms of room, facilities and decoration and trust you will give one of our other room a try on a future visit, our private pool villas are indeed wonderful choices. We have shared your observations with our team and trust in hosting you next time. Warmest regards
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed July 2, 2013

My husband and I stayed with our older teenagers in a two-bedroom villa for four nights. Despite its location not far from main roads, BK is a quiet oasis of green, stylish calm. The only “noise” we experienced was the next-door rooster in the morning and gamelan group practicing next door – all lovely Balinese sounds. We enjoyed the bathroom that opened to the sky at the shower end. The villas are well appointed, with comfortable beds and furniture. We had a private courtyard and plunge pool, but access to the larger common pool and garden provides more space in which to relax. Because this is a smaller hotel, you never have to fight for a poolside chair/lounge. As other reviewers have noted the staff are all very friendly and helpful. The breakfast is lovely, with made to order juices, coffee and eggs, as well as a fresh assortment of fruits, toast, pastries etc. We enjoyed a lovely lunch one day overlooking the garden and pool. The location offers easy access to shops, the Bintang supermarket, ATMs etc, and you can walk to the beach in about 10 minutes. It is about a 20 minute walk up to the Seminyak Square area, which has many shops and restaurants. We often walked one way and caught a taxi back. If we return to Seminyak, this is where we would stay.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Selamat Siang and Fabulous Thanks to you both and the children. It was a real pleasure welcoming you and you have very much summarised the essence of Blue Karma, a charming cosy boutique hotel in the middle of vibrant cultural Semyniak. Pleasure having you and we hope you will return soon - Warmest regards
Perth Wa
Reviewed July 1, 2013

We had a fabulous 5night stay at the Blue Karma. From the moment we arrived until we departed, the staff did everything within their power to please.
The room was large and comfortable with modern fixtures and fittings. The en-suite was also roomy with good lighting & was kept immaculately clean and refreshed daily with toiletries and bottled water. There are coffee/tea making facilites in the rooms but we did not use this as there was no creamer or milk provided so the tea or coffee would have to be taken black.
We sampled the hotels restaurant on a couple of occasions and found the restaurant food to be excellent and reasonably priced although the breakfast was quite ordinary and on occasion dissapointing in choices.
The pool area and gardens are beautiful even at night!
Everything about and around the hotel is maintained to a high standard.
If someone could kill the Cockerels that continuously crow then this hotel would be perfect but then again...the Cockerels are not the hotels fault.
I would definately recommend this hotel and wouldn't hesitate to return.
Many thanks to all the staff at the Blue Karma for making our stay a very enjoyable one!

Room Tip: We viewed suites and villas...all good!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
fred n, Public Relations Manager at Blue Karma Hotel, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Selamat Pagi, How fabulous of you to share such feedback, we are delighted you enjoyed the outstanding service we live by at Blue Karma as well as our food offerings at the restaurant. We look forward to having you back for longer even and let you experience our hospitality even more - See you soon
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed June 28, 2013

Location of hotel was great, we spent our first and last night here, while most of our stay was at Alila Villas Uluwatu which was a fantastic hotel!

Our first night, we had a lower level room, next to the pool, mosquitoes were bad here, get the net out and ready provided there aren't any trapped inside. Located close to a local supermarket Bin Tang where you can everything including buzz off!!

The 2nd time we stayed there on our return trip, we had an upper villa on the west side, man the rooster were annoying in the morning! So we couldn't really sleep in!

For a place to stay in transit, it's not to bad, but it all depends on the room you get!

Room Tip: Rooms on the East side are a lot better, away from the roosters and main road!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 28, 2013 via mobile

Absolutely loved our stay the room was fantastic loved the decor and the pool was beautiful. The outdoor bathroom was spacious and a joy to use. The breakfast were fantastic in a lovely garden setting . The staff were helpful and very friendly could not fault the experience. Looking at booking again for Christmas

• Stayed June 2013
Aguiggy, Terima Kasih - Great to read of your positive experience with us and that we will have the chance of hosting you over Christmas - Be quick as limited availability. See you again very soon
Sydney
Reviewed June 27, 2013

This place is in a quiet location of Seminyak so at least you get some sleep at night. It is a small friendly run business, they have hotel buggy to take you to the beach. Make sure you have mosquito coils burning in the out door bathroom as you will be eaten by them. I did not mind the out door bathroom, it was an experience in itself to shower in the rain. The breakfast they give you in the morning is a good start to your day. I personally found the colors of the room to be a bit depressing, and cold. I personally did not enjoy the over all Seminyak as I found it to bee too crazy.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Hello and thank you for your feedback. We are delighted to hear you slept well and that we have created a little quiet heaven in the busy crowded center of Semyniak. The outdoor bathrooms are indeed a great experience in a tropical country. We hope we can let you experience our other villas in the future. Warmest regards