“Extremely rude staff”

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Extremely rude staff”
Reviewed March 13, 2014 via mobile

Guess house hostel

I needed a place to stay for one night, a cheap place as my credit card was stolen and I didn't have a lot of cash on me. I found guess house online and went over to see it.
Getting there I asked to see the room before paying, the receptionist said this was not possible (why?).
I was tired after a long day and didn't want to search for another place so I payed, she charged me an extra security deposit of 200,000 rupia. This made nonsense to me! When I asked about it she was rude, with no explanation what so ever.
I've been traveling for almost 5 months and have never encountered such an unfriendly, unhelpful place.
After checking in I asked if there was a bottom bunk. At this point she swore at me in Balinese, I know this because my Indonesian friend was standing right next to me.

Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank Sophie E
GuessHouse, Manager at Guess House Hostel, responded to this review, March 14, 2014
Dear Guest,

We apologize about your not convenience stay at our hostel my be we want to explain after we check to detail this issue. Maybe our we should have staff not explained in detail the purpose of the existence of the security deposit. at the meaning is That where the security deposit will be refunded when guests check out. Where the Security is just to guarantee the security deposit only. And also it is applicable to all guests and is the discretion of each of the hostels that can not be equated with other hostels in other countries, As far away we know the other guest as we are already know about this policy by other guests and so far no problems. Maybe we do not know the staff just a personal problem that you lose your wallet, and they just run the procedure
.....

I hope this not big issue, and hope u can back and stay with us again with good condition.

Cheers

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Munich, Germany
Reviewed January 31, 2014

At last a nice place to stay in Bali.After a week in Bali at 2 other very bad Hostels this was a nice change.The friendly staff and clean rooms were a refreshing change from my other 2 very disappointing choices.I really enjoyed the atmosphere and being able to meet other travelers.Its a bit isolated from central Kuta but because you can meet other people it was easy to share a taxi so the cost was so small.Everything was as described on the website and the staff were so helpful.A very nice stay in an exceptionally clean hostel and I will come back before I leave Bali.Well recommended.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed January 26, 2014

Good backpackers hostel supported by friendly staff. Well-known internationally for backpackers and received several internet hotel / travel website rewards since its opened. Reasonable price per bed per day, especially considering that there is only a few good quality backpackers hostel in Bali. For a limited space, it is still considered a great place for backpackers. Common area are utilized properly and just by hanging out there for an hour or so, you'll make friends and will easily exchange information.

Room Tip: Just follow the direction from its friendly staff =D
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Osaka, Japan
Reviewed December 31, 2013 via mobile

The rooms are clean as is the common area. No complaints there. It's a short walk to restaurants, warungs, and the beach. The staff were friendly and helpful.
Things that need improvement. No wifi in the rooms. That's unacceptable in this day and age. Also the room fees and everything else seemed to be controlled by the computer or by somebody not on site. We wanted to stay an extra night and they quoted us a price three times higher than we paid for the previous three. We complained a little and the guy at the counter said he has to go by the prices on the computer and it's out of his hands.

• Stayed January 2013
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed December 23, 2013

I booked 4 nights here through hostel bookers, however was struck with a 24 hour bug the night before and was bed bound in kuta so couldn't make it to seminyak. I emailed the hostel straight away, giving over 24 hours
notice to re sell the bed for the night and I would be there the next day. One of my friends was still going there that night and would pay it all upfront for us both. However they still made me pay for the night I couldn't make. I would accept this, as it is in the conditions, however the hostel was not full at all. 4 people showed up the next day and got a bed, so I wasn't robbing them of a bed.I also barely got any replies from my emails, I had to email twice to get a response and when I did, the manager Tina, just copied and pasted the terms and conditions... It's just not very nice..

I've also been travelling for 3 months and stayed in many hostels. Things don't always go to plan and when I've had to cancel before, all other hostels have been much more sympathetic to changes and a bit more 'human'. I've never had to pay for a night I couldn't make in any other hostel I've stayed at.

On top of this, the room was FREEZING. Someone from the dorm went to reception at 4am but no one was downstairs. I had to come down again at 7am to get someone to turn the air con off. My glasses had frosted over, that was how cold it was...

I've also woken to a load of bites on me, as has my friend.

Plus wifi only works in the common area and it's still intermittent there.

Overall, my memories of good hostels are because of the staff working there and that's what makes me want to go back. although some of them are nice, the manager has really let this hostel down for the rest of them.

Won't be staying here again and wouldn't recommend.

• Stayed December 2013
GuessHouse, at Guess House Hostel, responded to this review, January 1, 2014

Andrew.

Travelers are raving about these Seminyak hotels

London
Reviewed October 21, 2013 via mobile

Clean, good location and great staff! The place was perfect and reasonably priced. Mila and Tina are just delightful and their English is very good so anything you need ask them! Situated next to all the restaurants and bars too but not a noisy location. Will be going back there.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Rachel K
GuessHouse, at Guess House Hostel, responded to this review, January 1, 2014
Guest know about all terms and condition booking at web booking, " all cancellation must do it before 3 day before arrival any cancellation do it after past 3 days follow the system and hostel policy". About Air condition freezer, we always set with temperature 24-25•C this normal because we can not provide every bed with remote all room share with other traveller, so can not request every guest must accept by own request. I hope she must be responsibility with all she

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed September 7, 2013

This hostel had character. I always felt like I was in a cozy home. I got to know both the receptionist really well and every morning they both had a sunshine smile. It was definitely comfortable and the common room is great for meeting other travellers!

Close to everything! local restaurant, cafe, convenient store, money exchange, boutique clothing stores and a massage can all be experienced opposite the hostel. Next to Guess house is also another massage place and also a travel agency - speak to 'Wayan' his pretty cool and can arrange anything! Scooters can be hired for $5 a day.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank sethutchinson
GuessHouse, Owner at Guess House Hostel, responded to this review, January 1, 2014
Guest know about all terms and condition booking at web booking," all cancellation must do it before 3 day before arrival any cancellation do it after past 3 days follow the system and hostel policy". And we management already give explain and condition also she booking under she name for 2 people and 4 Night and she not accept with this condition.

About Air condition she comment freezer, we always set with temperature 24-25•C this normal because we can not provide every guest with remote control, We are hostel with rate price start around 10 USD( Dynamic rate) all room share with other traveller not sale private room. I think she know with condition at hostel around the world. So sorry we can not request every guest( depend with request) I hope she must be responsibility with all booking she make it.

Andrew.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Seminyak
Maharani Beach Hotel
Mercure Kuta Bali
#76 of 251 in Kuta
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,320 reviews
Kutabex Beach Front Hotel

Been to Guess House Hostel? Share your experiences!