Before leaving Australia for Bali I booked private transfers from the airport in Denpasar to Maca villa as were arriving late at night (directly with Maca). All was confirmed without a hitch. When we arrived in Denpasar we were met by the driver as well as the manager from Maca -at first I thought this was a nice touch (if not a little over the top) until informed there had been a mistake with our booking (which was via Flight Centre and who had reconfirmed the booking the week prior with Maca) and they had no villa for us. They had however arranged another villa 'nearby' for the first night. Given it was late in the evening there wasn't much we could do about it other than to accept it.
We were dropped at villa which was about 25 mins drive from Maca (not my idea of 'close'). The villa was pretty nice until 6.00 am in the morning where we realised it was on a major road way - the motor bike noise started and just didn't let up. It was like being on a grand prix track. There was no way we could sleep so called up Maca who then sent us transport to pick us up.
We arrived at Maca around 8.00 am - It was still early so we ate breakfast by the pool and then waited until 2.00pm until we could check in.
To say we were annoyed by this experience would be an understatement. I can understand mistakes do happen but why wasn't I informed a few days earlier when we booked the transport (I was told this was when they realised they had a problem). If I had been informed we could have booked the first night at hotel of our choosing, not some less than adequate villa that Maca had chosen for us that was miles from nowhere and completely unsuitable.
They were generous in compensation including free massages, coffee, airport transfers and a free day trip to the Rock Bar. However I couldn't help think this might have all been a planned mistake through over booking the resort on purpose. As such I couldn't recommend Maca to anyone. I've been travelling the world over for many years to hotels and villas and not once have I ever had this experience. If I was to rate the villa's alone on this experience it would be lucky to make one star.
If you put aside the major booking problem then here is my view on the villas.
We stayed in a one bedroom villa. I was very private with a nice sized pool, day bed, small deck and indoors there is a lounge/ dining area, bedroom and very large bath room. Overall first impressions are good but after a few days you notice the vila is in need of some maintenance. When I walked on the deck nails kept popping out, one of our outdoor deck chairs broke when sat on, the wooden furniture and deck had not been oiled or maintained - so everything was starting to show its age. Not huge issues but if this property is going to remain popular they need to pay more attention to maintenance.
The service overall was very friendly and helpful - and the breakfast which you can have in your villa was very good.
Overall, when you separate out the booking issue I'd give this villa three stars. Could have been four with better maintenance of the villa.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A tropical sanctuary for the sense’s featuring true luxury facilities and first-class guest services. Offering 23 One-bedrooms villas and 2 two-bedrooms villas designed for travelers who desire the utmost in privacy whilst also being just minutes away from the beach and the myriad of fine dining restaurants and nightlife venues that has made Seminyak world famous ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Expedia, Agoda, Priceline, Travelocity, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Maca Villas & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Maca Villas Hotel Seminyak
- Maca Villas And Spa
- Maca Villas & Spa Bali/Seminyak