“Ok villa's marred by overbooking problem”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Maca Villas & Spa

Maca Villas & Spa
Ranked #19 of 143 Hotels in Seminyak
Melbourne, Australia
“Ok villa's marred by overbooking problem”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2013

Before leaving Australia for Bali I booked private transfers from the airport in Denpasar to Maca villa as were arriving late at night (directly with Maca). All was confirmed without a hitch. When we arrived in Denpasar we were met by the driver as well as the manager from Maca -at first I thought this was a nice touch (if not a little over the top) until informed there had been a mistake with our booking (which was via Flight Centre and who had reconfirmed the booking the week prior with Maca) and they had no villa for us. They had however arranged another villa 'nearby' for the first night. Given it was late in the evening there wasn't much we could do about it other than to accept it.

We were dropped at villa which was about 25 mins drive from Maca (not my idea of 'close'). The villa was pretty nice until 6.00 am in the morning where we realised it was on a major road way - the motor bike noise started and just didn't let up. It was like being on a grand prix track. There was no way we could sleep so called up Maca who then sent us transport to pick us up.

We arrived at Maca around 8.00 am - It was still early so we ate breakfast by the pool and then waited until 2.00pm until we could check in.

To say we were annoyed by this experience would be an understatement. I can understand mistakes do happen but why wasn't I informed a few days earlier when we booked the transport (I was told this was when they realised they had a problem). If I had been informed we could have booked the first night at hotel of our choosing, not some less than adequate villa that Maca had chosen for us that was miles from nowhere and completely unsuitable.

They were generous in compensation including free massages, coffee, airport transfers and a free day trip to the Rock Bar. However I couldn't help think this might have all been a planned mistake through over booking the resort on purpose. As such I couldn't recommend Maca to anyone. I've been travelling the world over for many years to hotels and villas and not once have I ever had this experience. If I was to rate the villa's alone on this experience it would be lucky to make one star.

If you put aside the major booking problem then here is my view on the villas.

We stayed in a one bedroom villa. I was very private with a nice sized pool, day bed, small deck and indoors there is a lounge/ dining area, bedroom and very large bath room. Overall first impressions are good but after a few days you notice the vila is in need of some maintenance. When I walked on the deck nails kept popping out, one of our outdoor deck chairs broke when sat on, the wooden furniture and deck had not been oiled or maintained - so everything was starting to show its age. Not huge issues but if this property is going to remain popular they need to pay more attention to maintenance.

The service overall was very friendly and helpful - and the breakfast which you can have in your villa was very good.

Overall, when you separate out the booking issue I'd give this villa three stars. Could have been four with better maintenance of the villa.

Can't recommend.

Room Tip: Request a villa towards the middle or back so you avoid the road noise.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank John A
Yoga I, General Manager at Maca Villas & Spa, responded to this review, January 1, 2014
Dear Mr. John A,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments following your recent stay at Maca Villas on October last year. We always strive to deliver the best levels of service to our guests and I am sorry that on this occasion we failed to do so. This is certainly not the experience we want our valued guests to have while booked at our property. However, rest assured relocating guest is a last resource and not a common practice at Maca.
As General Manager, I have met you personally at the Airport, apology extended, explained the cause of the discrepancy and escorted you to our sister property at Umalas, which is 1.5 km away from Maca for one night.
As I explained to you and your travel agent, this error was subsequently not recognized upon making the reservation and just discovered on the day of your arrival. A system error has caused the discrepancy and this issue has been investigated and resolved by our IT Team to ensure such an incident does not reoccur in the future.
Once again, please accept my sincere apologies for this lapse in what should be a fundamental aspect of our service and for any disappointment that this may have caused. Let me assure you that these incidents do not reflect the standards we strive to maintain at Maca.
It is through valuable feedback such as yours that enable us to constantly monitor and improve our operation. I have noted your comments regarding the needs of maintenance of some area and have certainly prompted our team to revisit these areas procedurally to ensure that our practices are as sound as possible.
Thank you for your positive comments regarding Maca Team as well as the In Villa Breakfast service. We receive many positive comments about our Service and I am happy to hear that you felt likewise.
I trust that you will not judge us on this one experience and that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to Maca Villas & Spa Bali in the near future, so that we may have the chance to show you true Maca hospitality.

With very best regards from all the Team at Maca
Yoga Iswara

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2013

Maca Villas & Spa was an amazing place to stay in Seminyak. It's tucked away in a little street but it is still within walking distance to the main roads. Although taxis to and from the villa were inexpensive, the villa also offers a shuttle service within Seminyak which was unbelievably helpful!
Our room looked exactly like it does in the photos - beautiful, tranquil and clean. Service was top notch.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2013

Stayed here in December for 7 nights with 2 other girlfriends in a 2-bedroom deluxe pool villa. Entire experience was fantastic beginning with the seamless reservation process over email. Being a travel agent (my friends are not agents), I had a wide range of properties to choose from but am so thankful we booked Maca for our first trip to Bali.

We organised an airport pickup direct with Maca, and Nyoman the driver was ready and waiting upon our arrival, and had a lovely chat to us on the drive to Seminyak. We were greeted with delicious mocktails upon arrival and were then taken to our villa by one of the butlers.

We were all amazed when we walked into our beautiful villa, it looked exactly like (if not better than) the photos on the website. Beautiful spacious bathrooms with rainfall showers and the living area was great too. Although the weather was overcast during our stay, many a morning was spent sunbaking on the lounges by our private pool, which was just the right size. Massive king-sized beds, we could fit all 3 of us girls onto the one bed and still had heaps of room! The Ipod dock/speakers were a great idea, enabling us to have the tunes "pumping" whilst we were sunbaking or getting ready to head out.

When we arrived we were informed that a shuttle drop-off service operated 3 times a day, however each time (at least twice per day) that we were wanting to go somewhere from the hotel, the front office staff would call the resort car for us and take us to wherever (within Seminyak/Legian) we wanted to go, which was fantastic!

Each time we returned to our villa in the afternoon and after dinner the housekeepers had been in and performed an excellent job cleaning the villa and giving turndown service. All the other staff were so friendly as well, each one we encountered would stop what they were doing and greet us with a warm smile and a hello.

We opted to take our included breakfast in our villa each morning, and this was one of the highlights of the stay. So much to choose from and mid-trip we thought we would ask if they happened to have any vegemite to put on our toast - low and behold the next morning they delivered a brand new, unopened FULL JAR of Vegemite for us!

We had a 10.30pm flight home on our final day, and reception was kind enough to extend our checkout until 1pm (as they had another booking arriving that night), and then when we returned to the villa just before 6pm for our departure transfer,they were kind enough to let us use the spa area to each shower and change into fresh clothes - this really just capped off an absolutely wonderful experience at Maca!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank BreannaRenee
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2013

We loved staying at the Maca Villas. We appreciated being away from the busy central Seminyak area and transport wasn't an issue as we used the villa shuttle and taxis to get around.
We were very impressed by the design of the villas and the beautiful garden areas.

Mase Restaurant and Ippolito were great. You won't regret staying at Maca and don't be concerned that it is not in the 'central' Seminyak area.

Staff were friendly and professional. Special thanks to the Mase staff for the great service.

Room Tip: We liked our room towards the front of the complex. Nice fish pond just outside the front entrance.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank amitche182
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2013

This villa is the perfect place for a romantic getaway for any couple as it is serene and very private. The staff were always helpful and professional in their delivery. Regardless of the time, any staff member of Maca Villa we walked pass will greet us with smiles and look truly happy to have us in their premises! We felt very welcome there! The MASE's dessert and coffee are to die for! The masseuses at the Spa were good as well and we recommend going for the coconut almond scrub.

We would like to thank Yunitha for the seamless reservation procedures and the staff for the awesome and wonderful stay. We really miss our stay in your villa! Keep it up!!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tnana0206
Perth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2013

Good evening Yoga (General Manager)

We would like to thank you and your wonderful staff for a truly magical holiday at MACA Villas. Our entire group was overwhelmed by the service your staff provided. There was no request too big or too small.... Everyone went well beyond the call of duty to take care of us all.

It all started with yourself, followed by Yunitha, who was an incredible help with the group reservations. Everyone was booked in flawlessly! Any queries we had, Yunitha was very helpful.

Your staff are beautiful. What a gorgeous woman Nadia is!! It was so lovely having someone to go to that knew our group so well and also all of our plans! Nadia kept in contact with me daily and arranged, confirmed and organised us so well! I appreciated all of her help, her professional follow up and lovely nature!

My mother has very special memories of her 60th birthday celebration! The surprise of her friends turning up, that you all managed to keep secret (which was wonderful), to the gorgeous evening function celebrating her birthday around the pool. The food was lovely (and so much of it!) and the entertainment was fun!

In all honestly we couldn't have had a more wonderful time if we tried!

The restaurant staff, the gardeners, the room attendants, the reception staff - just everyone! Always greeting us with a smile and conversation - genuinely wanting to know how our day was, telling us about their families and having a laugh with us was just so nice.

Travelling with a very small baby (12 weeks old) was a huge deal for me, and the way your staff helped me was lovely. I especially appreciated the butlers (room attendants) calling in on me when they noticed I didn't join the rest of the group for a dinner elsewhere, and making sure we had everything we needed for the baby and that we were ok. It was like having an extended family that truly cared. Being provided with a lovely cot and mosquito net, bottle steriliser, microwave, baby bath, bottled water and pump (just to name a few of the items you provided) was just wonderful and greatly appreciated!

We really appreciated all the effort of your staff at the MACA Villas, you have employed an incredible team. I have been to Bali 19 times and stayed at many wonderful accommodations, but I can honestly say that MACA Villas is my favourite!

I am currently organising another 'group' holiday again in 2014 and we would love to stay at MACA!

Room Tip: All rooms are similar - all lovely, very clean and extremely comfortable
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank ShannE101
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2013

I stayed here at the Maca Villas and could not fault my stay. The Villas are large and clean, the garden surrounds are peaceful and quiet, and the staff could not do enough to ensure you enjoyed your stayed.There are plenty of good restaurants and bars within walking distance, and this is the perfect romantic getaway.

Room Tip: Pools can be a little cool, see if you can get ones that do have sun on them. I stayed in 23 and it...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple