“Relaxing stay”

Ranked #3 of 113 Seminyak B&B and Inns
Perth, Australia
“Relaxing stay”
Reviewed March 16, 2012

Highly recommended value for money stay in a good location.

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank Dfly7190

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed February 29, 2012

I had the pleasure of staying at the Colony Hotel over 2011 & 2012 Xmas break. Normally I go to Bali most years and stay over the June & July period. I ususally stay at one of larger 5 star hotels in Seminyak. After staying this time at Colony I have rebooked for this year. As a solo traveller it is great to find a hotel that does not allow anyone under 16. The hotel is small only 20 rooms however it has a great rooms and is located to all the best places. The staff are brilliant and very welcoming. The rooms are a great design with a brilliant lap pool. I could not recommend this hotel enough.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed February 26, 2012

I spent three beautiful weeks in the Colony hotel in Seminiak and was treated in the best possible way. It was a very personal, truly boutique approach.
The location is fantastic too. Quiet but close to everything one can possibly want in the Seminiak area - beaches, restaurants and shopping

Liza (Moscow)

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank LIZA R
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed February 19, 2012

Hi Trip advisor surfers,

My partner and I stayed at the Colony Hotel Christmas and New Year 2011- 2012.
It was incredibly well located, modern, well appointed rooms and terrific staff! The breakfasts were great, the pool is centrally located and kept perfectly cleans. It is beautifully aesthetic, white, white and calm, very grown up and relaxed! It is so well located to al the great dining experiences in Seminyak. Literally around the corner from La Luciola, Potato Head, The W Hotel and hence the beach is across the road. We would stay here again without question.

When we arrived the staff gave us a Christmas present which was actually quite lovely, so we took it home and it now sits in our very modern bathroom. They are gave me a delicious cake for my birthday which was a well received and a thoughtful touch! We can be fussy and both enjoy the god things in life, certainly the Colony Hotel lives up to this.

The restaurant by the pool is soon expanding, however we were certainly happy with the selection and stayed in for breakfast as the choices were great and we enjoyed some of the best nasi goreng ad me goreng in our month stay in Indonesia.

However what makes it stand out is the guests are a little alternative and unpretentious, the staffs are laid back and attentive and to be right in the heart of Seminyak and have all of this is rare indeed.

Room Tip: All rooms are great however the upstairs junior suites are worth the extra dollars.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sharon V
Brasil
Reviewed February 15, 2012

We really loved the hotel!
We stayed at the Junior Suite. The room is confortable, bright and spacious. Love the decor!
If you prefer more privace, I suggest you stay at the Junior Suite, cause they are in the first floor. Not to close to the pool.
The staff is amazing and makes you feel at home.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed February 2, 2012

I just spent six nights at the hotel. It is in a great location (just steps from luxury, 5 star hotels like the Oberoi, Legian, and across the street from the Seminyak). It's also within walking distance to Ku De Ta, Potato Head, La Lucciola, and very close to all the shopping and "restaurant row" (and very close to the path direct to Seminyak Square that avoids the road!). The hotel is beautiful (I will attach pics to this review when I get home), but is definitely not "Balinese" style if that's what you're looking for. The breakfast is fantastic (made to order, both Western and Indonesian options), and served right by the beautiful pool. The rooms are really nice (I stayed in both a deluxe room and junior suite during my stay) with very comfortable beds, large bathroom (no tub, but a rain shower), flat screen TV's with lots of Western channels. The junior suite (room 3) had a covered balcony with a couch and chairs as well which was really nice.

The service is outstanding - all the staff is very attentive and they're constantly maintaining the property. I was there during low season however (at any given point during my stay, there was only a maximum of 4 rooms occupied out of 20), which maybe allowed the staff to be more attentive? On that note, here are the only issues I had related to my stay:

1) I locked in 4 nights ahead of time. Since it was low season, I should have only locked in 1 night and negotiated the rest. My last two nights (in a suite!) were cheaper than what I had locked in previously since I told them I was shopping around because I was extending my stay. Note that all the hotels were at partial occupancy (I looked at a lot) so it's fairly easy to bargain.
2) There's no need to book transportation through the hotel - a taxi will be absolutely cheaper (and they're everywhere). I booked a car from the airport and it was $20 - I later found out a taxi would have only been about $8. Also, if you're headed to Ubud next, you can negotiate with a taxi for about 150,000R (the hotel quoted me 280,000R!).
3) Finally, beware of the exchange rate they use when you check out! Even though the USD/Rupiah rate was about $1USD/8,950R, they used 9,300 per dollar which meant I paid about $30 more than I expected (although the invoice is in USD, they multiply the total by this obnoxious exchange rate and charge that amount to your card). I tried arguing, but they wouldn't have it and said this is the rate when "buying dollars" (even though that has absolutely nothing to do with the transaction!!).

At the end of the day, I do think it's a good value for the location and the quality of the property. Personally, however, the issues I had at check-out left me with a bit of a bad taste in my mouth so I'm not sure I would stay there again if I return.

Room Tip: All the rooms face the pool (except for the superior ones in the back I think). Since it's a sm...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank RioTraveler103
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed February 1, 2012

A friend and I went to stay at the Colony for a few days over her birthday last week and we had the most brilliant time. It's located excellently, very close to good food places and both Potato Head and Ku de Ta, but slightly set back from the road and far enough from the shopping hub of Seminyak to feel like a real retreat. Aesthetically it's gorgeous and last but not least the staff are totally fab. This isn't uncommon praise in Bali, but on this occasion both staff and owners stood out as being genuinely nice, fun, good humoured, happily helpful people. Thanks to them for making our stay a great one and I look forward to coming back!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends