“You can`t beat the service”
Review of Villa Blubambu

Villa Blubambu
Ranked #1 of 116 Seminyak B&B and Inns
Port Vila, Vanuatu
“You can`t beat the service”
Reviewed August 18, 2012

As being in the travel industry myself, I know how hard it can be to please everybody. Staff and owner Mathieu doing an excellent job in this regards. Cleanliness, friendliness and service are spotless.

We will stay again when coming back to Seminyak

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Jörg S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Seraya, Bali
Reviewed August 15, 2012

We live in Bali and often come over for a weekend to Seminyak. Villa Blubambu is your best choice in Seminyak by far, and we have really tried many! It has a very good price-quality ratio, especially if you compare it to any other places in Seminyak. The owners are very friendly and willing to help you with everything from booking a restaurant to tips for planning the rest of your trip in Bali. The breakfast is excellent and the pool is perfect for a good work-out. The garden is very big and it is a heaven of piece in the hectic Seminyak. Strongly recommended!!!!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Inge v
Newcastle
Reviewed August 15, 2012

Amazing. Mathieu and his staff made us incredibly welcome and were easy to approach about any aspect of our stay we need help with: laundry, restaurants, taxis, drivers, tours... The list is endless. The villa was lovely and set in the most beautiful gardens, we had what I can only describe as a private pool in front of our villa and we had a delicious and very filling breakfast each morning underneath the pagoda. The waiting and housekeeping staff were delightful and were so accommodating, I was so excited by the array of tropical fruits that I had never come across before as we come from a much colder climate, and the staff made sure I had more of my favourite fruits each day. My husband and I had such a fabulous time and when we were ready to leave Mathieu gave us a really helpful map of Ubud with some suggestions of what to do there... Is there no end to the good service? No!

We had the most fabulous honeymoon and as our first stop in Bali we couldn't have been happier. Thanks to Mathieu, Brenda, Gede and the rest of the staff at Blubambu.

Room Tip: By fitness centre, I mean pool! Don't be scared of the dark alley that leads to the Main Stree...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JNNNewcastle
Armidale, Australia
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Villa Blubambu is a heavenly place to stay. Mathieu and staff are wonderful people to spend time with. My two children and I absolutely loved everything about our stay. I look forward to spending more time at Villa Blubambu.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank RinaLuvsHols
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed May 28, 2012

I had a chance to spend 5 nights at Villa Blubambu with my family. I chose the property entirely based on other reviewers recommendations. I can honestly say that the property was everything I was hoping it would be - quiet, comfortable, and convenient. Mathieu and his staff took exceptionally good care of us - helping with restaurant recommendations and local transportation. Take advantage of getting a massage while you're there - a steal at $10 US for a one hour full body massage. Breakfast was great every morning, and there are many, many options for lunch and dinner in close proximity. As others have mentioned, the Villa is situated down a lane that isn't easy to find - especially for a taxi driver that doesn't know the area. What we found that worked was to say that the lane was across from Puri Saron, which is a Seminyak temple landmark that most taxi drivers knew. A tip here about taxi service - there are metered and unmetered taxis. Only use the metered taxis.
We only went to the beach once during our stay. Great for surfing, and many options for lunch or a drink to watch the sunset, but I got tired of being solicited by vendors walking up and down the beach trying to sell everything from kites to beads to single cigarettes. We found ourselves being much more comfortable staying by the pool at our villa.
Overall, I give Villa Blubambu high marks and would not hesitate to return.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank SAfan2009
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed May 14, 2012

We booked Villa Blubambu based on it's perfect ratings, and we can't help but add to it's acclaim. From the moment you tip-toe over the carp pond entrance, you become spellbound by the beauty of this hidden garden.

With only 3 villas, each with it's own pool accessed directly from the deck, the staff can't help but be attentive, yet they only only seem to appear when you need them.

The Dutch owner lives in the main house above reception. He is so generous and welcoming that you feel like a guest in his home, far beyond mere paying client. We would stay here a million times over, especially considering the value for money and the feeling of coming home.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Penwax
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed May 1, 2012

To enable you to put my thoughts into context - My wife and I have travelled reasonably extensively but this was our first (of many to come) visit to Bali. This is also the first time that we have felt compelled to write a TripAdvisor review.

Of course, having read the many other reviews, you will already know that Villa Blubambu is something special. As so many reviewers have already accurately described the Villa, my review will be more about "the experience".

We arrived around 9pm directly from the airport via the car and Driver pre-arranged by Mathieu (the owner of the villa) at a cost of $15. Unless you are very knowledgeable about Bali and/or have your own Driver already arranged, you should take advantage of this service - I don't have to tell you that after a flight you need to be painlessly and smoothly swept into the care of Mathieu and his staff.

We had already been advised (by TripAdvisor) to not be disturbed by the apperance the neighbourhood as we approached the Villa via a network of small lanes. As promised, arrival through the gate of the Villa brought us into our own little piece of Paradise. Mathieu was at the gate to greet us and assist us to bring in our bags. We were immediately sat down in the main Villa and offered a cool towel and drink. "Check in" formalities were conducted in such a discrete and painless manner while we sipped our drinks that we could have just been arriving at a friend's home for a few days. Our final task before being shown to our own private Villa was to select our choice of breakfast for the following morning.

The Villa was, of course, delightful, clean and included all required amenities.

The beauty of the grounds and the physical amenities are one thing but it is Mathieu and his staff that make Villa Blubambu something special. Simply, nothing is too much trouble for them. My wife asked if it was at all possible to have some no-fat yoghurt for breakfast (even though we had not been able to spot any in a late night ramble though the shops). Sure enough, on that and every morning we were presented with tubs of no-fat youghurt - no fuss, no bother.

Mathieu has obviously paid a lot of attention to ensuring that he can answer any request. He can arrange a Driver, arrange the best tours, advise where to eat, shop etc etc. All this done without the tiniest hint of tedium from, no doubt, repeating the same requests over and over.

One of our favorite times was breakfast in the garden. We enormously enjoyed this time spent chatting with our fellow guests (Hi Mark and Nat). We were able to dawdle over breakfast while we chatted, with Mathieu joining us for a chat on some mornings. Of course, I am sure that you would be able to have a "private" breakfast if that is your thing but for us one of the joys of travel is meeting fellow travellers.

If you need a Driver, can I suggest that you ask Mathieu to try to get Ketut (known as Kadek because his brother's name is also Ketut!). We used him for our entire stay in Bali (even after we had relocated to Ubud) and he is a very safe Driver who can show you anything that you want to see.

I also suggest that you consider the Happy Bike Tour operated by a Made (pronounced Marday). If, like us, you enjoy getting really close to the real Bali then this 25Km, mostly downhill, bike ride is a must.

Despite those arrival appearances of the neighbourhood mentioned above, the surrounding area is actually very nice. All amenities (beach, shops, food etc etc) are within an easy 5 or 10 minute walk. We felt safe at all times and were very confident about striding out at any time of the day or night.

Unfortunately, we were only able to book 3 nights with Mathieu but, as first time travellers to Bali, this was the ideal way for us to be nurtured into the Bali way. Without Mathieu I am sure our Balinese holiday would not have been as enjoyable as it was.

I must also mention the staff at Villa Blubambu. It is obvious that they really enjoy their work and are appreciated both by Mathieu and the guests. Being an early riser, I was there to see the day staff arrive each day. Without exception they all arrived with big smiles and a cheery greeting for me as I sat at the front of my Villa. Again, nothing was too much trouble for them.

Now, if you are looking for a "Resort and Spa" type experience then it just may be that Villa Blubambu is not for you. We stayed at such a place in Ubud and whilst it was perfectly lovely in its own way, nothing could match up to the experience that we had at Villa Blubambu.

Look, I could go on and on. Just take my word for it - Villa Blubambu is special.

I did tell Mathieu that I was going to write a bad review to ensure that he didn't become so busy that I couldn't get a booking for next year. Of course I couldn't do that. We will be making our booking for next year in the next few weeks.

Vic and Jill

Room Tip: We stayed in the Villa nearest the main building. It and its neighbour Villa share a large swimming...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple