“Thank you for our lovely stay”

Umalas Hotel and Residence
Ranked #124 of 417 Specialty Lodging in Seminyak
Creswick
“Thank you for our lovely stay”
Reviewed September 30, 2013

We stayed in a two bedroom apartment and this is the second time I have stayed at this hotel. I have always found the staff to be very nice and helpful. I had a broken hip at the time and all the staff could not help me enough. We are older people and enjoy the peace and quiet this hotel offers. I do think sometimes there is a language barrier but these people speak English as a second language and I think that they do a wonderful job as I certainly could not speak their language. I saw many people at breakfast treating the staff like they were their personal slaves, and speaking to them like they were dirt.
I guess we all have a bad experience sometimes but I think that we make our own enjoyment, if we are happy then the staff react with being happy also.
I would stay again at this hotel and would recommend it to other people our age.
The pool is great and we enjoyed our swim of an evening, the room service was good and the meals lovely.
Thank you again Umalas for a lovely peaceful holiday and we hope to return again.

Room Tip: We chose a two bedroom room which gave us plenty of room. We were on the ground floor but did not ha...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Susan H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Indonesian first
Perth, Australia
Reviewed September 25, 2013 via mobile

Following on from previous review the pump started again in the morning so I insisted they call the GM which they did, well this G M has a lot to learn his response was basically "this how it us if you are not happy you can leave the hotel and I will call security"
Stunned to say the kleast valid complaints and admitted issues bring this threat.
Had subsequent meeting and again told "this is how it is" but now not a denial that he threatened to evict a client over valid and known issues just an ignoring of that threat.
When I ask to speak with his manager he advised he has none, I then ask if he is the owner and the response is yes, well my mant travels in Bali tell me the owner does not actually work in the hotel with a uniform
of course he blamed everybody else admitting that the room we and by reading other reviews other guests were given has known issues and is earmarked for staff sleep only.
He had apparently issued warnings to staff and when basked who addressed his threats he told me he would reprimand himself, well that I have little faith in
I advised him his business was not just providing a room but it is creating lasting happy memories which he certainly does not

Stayed September 2013
4 Thank Susie V
Agus S, General Manager at Umalas Hotel and Residence, responded to this review, September 28, 2013
I would like to say thank you for your stay at Umalas Hotel and Residence Seminyak and writing your comments on Trip advisor about what you had experienced during your stay.

At the beginning you came to our hotel, you 've complaint as you do not feel appreciated by our reception staff who were giving extension stay to the guests that their room supposed to be yours after 1 pm, which is at One Bedroom Suite.
Our receptionist has admitted that they have given you alternative to stay at Two Bedroom Deluxe, which is an upgraded choice, after Guests who stay at the One Bedroom Suite’s that supposed to yours after they depart, were wrongly given extension until 3 pm.
After you have stayed in Two Bedroom Deluxe, you found that the pump was sounding every 15 seconds but you had informed us after 11.00 pm. Our Manager on duty came to your room after and was giving alternative to you for moving to another room available, where then you angrily told the manager on duty to turn off the pump immediatly. He followed what you instructed Him and the pumps were off that night.
The reason you were declined to move as your wife had already slept and our manager on duty then informed you that you can move by tomorrow morning since we had prepared the room for you.
I remember you told me that the Manager on duty was not relevant to his information, where you were told to move but your luggage must left behind in Two bedroom Deluxe. We had asked this to the manager on duty, He spoke on the contrary with your words by telling that you could move to new room and your luggage can be delivered by our staff. I assumed there was misunderstanding on this issue but then you deny it hardly by saying that was not true.
At 5 am, you go down to the lobby and you complaint that we did not follow you as the pump was resumed. Receptionist had apologized on that and explained that the they had to be turned on at 5 am because we need a water flow in the restaurant kitchen.
You didn't want to accept the reception explanation.
Then you forced to contact me as General Manager in the morning at 5 am and talk how disappointed you with our hotel services. I then asked you to calm down and offer room to move and apologize to you (which in this case you say I never apologize when I've said that).

I have offered you a question of what can we do to make you feel comfortable, ever since we gave you the alternative to move to a new room you didn’t answer it and continue talks about your disappointments and threatened to talk to all the guests in the lobby about how bad our hotel that was then forcing us to calmed you down by asking our security to talk to you. It was at 5.40 in the morning and I believe most of our guests were sleeping that morning.

Then you were calmed down and willing to move to a new room that we provided you. During face to face discussion with you in the morning, I had apologized for that and you still were trying to find the mistake for what we did by saying you will call for police and consulate for that. Even though I have again told you what we can do to make you feel comfort to stay at our hotel. You didn’t answer that, you talk round and round about your disappointments. I then gave you choice that you may talk to someone in Absolute company, who is partner of our company, and you may complaint directly to them so that this matter can be solved.
Surprisingly after you have discussed with person from Absolute, you remain staying at our hotel for another 6 days and I can say we really appreciated for that.
Owner's family who act as general manager in every hotel in Bali is normal to use uniform as part of togetherness with their staffs and it was not a mistake. You can surprisingly seeing the owner’s family, who are working as directors or managers at other hotels in Bali are using uniform and hand in hand with their staff to handle their bussineses either that at 4 or 5 star hotel in Bali.
We also thank you for your wife who is a very nice lady that talked nicely to our staff during the stay and even say thanks to all of us after departed from our hotel.
I would like to say sorry for the bad experience that you had during the stay and promise you to review our ways to handling the problem in rooms in the near future.
Regards, Ulatun Nyunda – General Manager

Travelers are raving about these Seminyak hotels

Perth, Australia
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Having read the previous review and the managers feel good response, I can tell you the previous reviewer was spot on.

We arrived and were given the 1 bedroom suite that was booked, our view of bali/ umalas and all things promised in the hotel website was actually the side wall of another building and 3 windows of bedrooms in the adjoining building, so that was the end of sitting on the balcony enjoying the view, then again a suite for 2 people but only one chair so that is difficult

We mentioned all this and were told that we would be moved the next day which was fine.

We checked that morning and were told we would be moved to 2003 and that room would be vacated at 12 noon.

We packed and left the hotel for the day returning at 4 pm and to be told that we were in 3117 as this was much better with 2 bedrooms penthouse and full view of the pool.

2 bed yes, view of pool much the same as the vertical drop from a Bungee Jump, if that is the view you want.

Then off course the part they do not tell you the Pump noise Whirr Bang every 15 seconds, after many promises that noise would go off eventually enough is enough and the manager comes only to tell us that they know of the issue, obviously all rooms xx17 have this issue and he can't understand why they would put somebody in that room.

11.25pm they want us to sleep in another room and then move again tomorrow, after insisting they call the manager at home, which they do not, magic happens and the pump can be turned off.

These are supposed to be self catering suites, no pots pans tea towels washing liquid. lift does not work, sauna / spa does not work, end of stair rails missing.

Overall a very average build and if paying their normal rates there are much better places to stay.

If it were not for absolute packages I doubt they would have anywhere near the occupancy.

Staff overall are very pleasant, but sadly that does not make up for the hotel

Room Tip: check the view check the noise before moving in
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank DavidvPerth
Reviewed September 22, 2013

We booked a one bedroom apartment and on arrival were advised that we had been upgraded to one of the 2 bedroom penthouse suites with it's own roof top lounge area. A beautiful way to start our stay. The room was very clean and well set out with everything you need in self contained accommodation.

The pool was great and the gardens were very tranquil. Breakfast was included and although not plentiful was good quality and a great place to have breakfast being on the roof. Service by all the staff was fantastic and first rate. They were always enthusiastic to provide for any need.

The only downside to our room was that the hotel's water processing area (Water Farm as they called it) was situated next door and had a constant cutting in/out of its timer which was very very often. The noise was terrible when trying to go to sleep.

Apart from that, we couldn't fault the hotel however it really is suited to couples without kids.

Getting a taxi to Kuta or the bus shuttle to Seminyak was easy but the hotel is situated in a quiet area, nothing for kids close by.

Room Tip: Request a room away from the Water Farm and/or kitchen
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Paul G
Mount Evelyn, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed September 5, 2013

We were very unhappy with the rooms first one ground floor, dark, small and bathroom that smelt and water in shower didn't drain properly still there the next morning. Moved to 2nd floor room 2017, much bigger 2 bedrooms thank god as the main room was up against pumps that went all night could not sleep with it. The hotel is in need of painting and up keep. Beds pretty good the only plus. Pool ok but not where you would hang around all day long and breakfast average needs to be fresher and more variety. Also too far to walk anywhere need to get taxis all the time. Chose this hotel through Absolute Holidays a time share which was very cheap as a trial just had to go to a meeting one morning. Staff are friendly but not the best english with most of them. My suggestion if gping to Balistay in top resort on beachwith nice pool and easy walk to restaurants. Seminyak is more expensive.

Room Tip: There is no good rooms everyone I spoke to complained.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Kerry F
Agus S, General Manager at Umalas Hotel and Residence, responded to this review, September 8, 2013
Dear Ms. Kerry,

As the manager of Umalas Hotel and Residence Seminyak, I am always very sorry when a guest is not able to fully experience the wonders of our hotel as we try our best to ensure the highest satisfaction reached by our guests during their stay in Bali.

I got noticed that you have been removed from your first room in One Bedroom Suite that has been reserved by Absolute company, our partner, into 2 bedroom Superior by our staff, since you didn't get your WIFI connected perfectly in your room, and due to the flexible action given by our staff that wanted to help you to get a better connection of WIFI in 2 bedroom Superior, its an upgraded without charge but none of your complaint were mentioned that the first room was dark, smelt or water didn't drained well, since I confidence to tell this that we always had to pass 3 times checked before our guests staying in the room starting from drain check, smell check and facilities /amenities check every day by our housekeeping supervisor, front office manager and manager on duty.

We are always very interested in customers criticism and feedback. It is always treated seriously and we constantly look for ways to improve our product and service.

You have been staying here for 7 days and as you may aware that the breakfast were changed quite often 3 times in a week that is also happened to almost all hotels in the world. regarding to hotel far to get to other place, you may also aware that we have provided shuttle services to Seminyak shopping center, which is only 3 minutes away from our hotel by transport and our hotel is located in an outskirt of Seminyak that promote serenity and comfort for family, honeymooner and group of friends who are looking for a peaceful resort but not too far from bussy street of Seminyak and beach of Seminyak, Bali.

I thank you for your comment regarding our staff's English that need to be improved and will do the best to make it better day over the day.

It is always uncomfortable to be criticized harshly but I believe that the other recent reviews can speak for itself. We will continue to improve ourselves each day to be better service providers to the future guest. I thank you for giving us the opportunity to grow and improve.

Ulatun Nyunda // General Manager
Hamburg, Germany
Reviewed August 24, 2013

with a group staying here, service was good, staff were helpful, breakfast on the roof top, with sunrise and all that, food variety can be improved, room cleanliness is pretty good, room can be better in size but oh well.. for sleeping its excellent enough. thank you for having us

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank BubbleTruffleSG
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
Reviewed August 16, 2013

We were delighted with everything about this hotel. There was 8 of us (incl 4 young daughters and my senior parents). We had 2 adjoining 2bedroom suites. They only cost AU$84/suite/night. Bedrooms had kingsize beds in, plus air con in each room. TV in main bedroom and lounge. Kitchen & Dining very good sized. Lounge very good sized and huge comfy couches. Rooms and hotel were all very, very clean. Pool was a definite hit. Breakfast buffet included was amazing, served on roof top with lovely view of mountains. All the staff were all so kind and helpful. Day spa in hotel or huge day spa/hairdressers across the road which was incredibly cheap. 24hr cheap convenience shop a very short walk up the road, also a great gelati shop short walk too. Awesome family restaurant "Warung Umalas" short walk up the road also - which also does free delivery to Umalas hotel. (eg. BIG plate of bbq ribs for 6000Rp which just melted in your mouth!!!) Taxi cost into Seminyak was 2200Rp (approx. AU$2.50) and taxi cost into Kuta was 6300Rp (approx. AU$7). Hotel has free shuttle bus into Seminyak.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Vicki M
Agus S, General Manager at Umalas Hotel and Residence, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Dear Ms Vicky,

Greetings from Umalas Hotel and Residence Seminyak, Kuta - Bali, and thank you for providing such a great review on Tripadvisor. The hotel team and I have been encouraged by your response and we continue to strive for service and hospitality excellence in order to meet the needs of all of our guests. I am glad to read your experiences with our Hotel service and hopefully we could provide better experience in the past for you and your family.

Thank you once again for your comments and best regards,

Ulatun Nyunda
Also consider these accommodations in or near Seminyak
Pandawa All Suite Hotel
#26 of 113 in Seminyak
Umahku BnB Seminyak
Umahku BnB Seminyak
#98 of 417 in Seminyak

Been to Umalas Hotel and Residence? Share your experiences!