Umalas Hotel and Residence
  • Pool
The Santai(Kerobokan)
Kiss Bali(Seminyak)
Great 4.5/5
All reviewsrooftop restaurantroom apartmentquiet locationno hot waterstayed here for nightshotel spabig roomswimming poolnice poolcircle kfree shuttlethe main roadlangitkopibalisaunakitchenette
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 18, 2013

My wife has insisted that we book this place instead of a significant more expensive location closer to the street where all the shops are located. Initially, I was skeptical of her decision when I was driven to this location as I have noted that it was in a rather isolated location.

I was pleasantly surprised by how great our 3-day stay at this condo apartments like complex has turned out to be. Service provided at this location is excellent. The stay is quiet and laid back. Food served at its restaurant on the roof desk is excellent, better than the restaurant that caters to the foreign visitors located near the hotel. The restaurant staff tries hard to offer good service and make their guests comfortable.

The room we stayed at is small but clean and comfortable. The bed is likewise comfortable and in great condition. The swimming pool in the yard is large. They offer a basic gym on the 4th Fl that looks serviceable. A tip: in Bali and many south east asian countries, rooms and apartments are equipped with "wet toilets". Unfortunately, the drains in wet toilets can give off a stench. You should therefore keep the door to the toilets closed when not in the use.

It is very easy to get a cab when needed. The hotel provides a shuttle bus to send you one way to the main shopping area and a good size grocery supermarket as the rooms are equipped with kitchens. It is easy to catch a cab back (tip: use cabs operated by a company called "Blue Bird" as these cabs are metered are operated most scrupulously in general in Bali).

There is a mini mart when you exit the hotel and turn left but I would recommend going to the local convenient store by turning left when you exit the hotel to do your shopping. There is also a local shop selling local food such as :"rojak" and "ayam soto" located next to this local convenient store - try it out if you are feeling adventurous or in the mood of some local fare.

If I return to Seminyak again, I would definitely stay at Umalas again. My wife has indeed made the right call in picking a hotel that offer a great value for its price.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Scopix
Reviewed February 17, 2013

very nice hotel, extremely friendly staff, rooms fully equipped with what you need, good location as it is not near any main roads and can have a peaceful night, food is lovely and tastes great and is also very cheap, circle k just up the road so can purchase snacks and drinks, can access kuta very easily by booking taxi through reception

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Anthony M
Reviewed January 22, 2013

We have just returned from an 11 night stay at the Umalas. The apartment was spacious, 2 plasma screen TVs with a good range of English channels and a few channels for children. Bathrobe and slippers were provided. The hotel had low occupancy when we were there and on some days we had the pool area to ourselves. The bathroom had some grouting issues with mould in some areas, the enamel on the bath is worn and tiles above shower rail were a bit grimy. This did not really bother us as it is room without a window in a tropical climate. Some rooms were being refurbished while we were there so this might not be an issue for you. The hotel beds were so comfortable. Also great water pressure no problems with hot water or any noisy plumbing noises when other guests used their bathrooms. (I really like good water pressure)
Shuttle bus: Need to book the day before. No problems (10am, 2pm and 5pm)
Breakfast: Buffet had good selection. For last 3 days due to under-occupancy we were given table service and needed to order what we wanted. No problems, could order as much as we wanted and food was made to order.
Wi-fi: Staff would give you as many log in passwords as you requested so this was not an issue, you could get 3 at a time so could have (if you needed) 9 hours of non stop internet.
Hotel food: Quite a small menu but food was fine, we had lunch and dinner there without any problems.
THE BEST THING...The amazing massages from 'Diah' was works in the hotel spa. The prices are a bit more expensive than outside the hotel BUT totally worth the few extra dollars (massage for one hour was $18) as she is a properly trained masseuse. Well worth a visit, probably the best massage I have ever had which is saying a lot!!
The aim of our holiday was to have a relaxing time by the pool with the children and this hotel suited us. The air-conditioning worked well and the staff were friendly. A taxi ride into Seminyak never cost more than $2.50, Kuta around $5. All taxi drivers knew where the hotel was located.
I would recommend this hotel to someone who wants peace and quiet and does not mind getting a taxi back to the hotel (given the cost, I would pay $2.50 not to have the constant beeping of cars all day and night as in Kuta). The pool temperature was just right, not too cold and very clean. There is a small supermarket just across the road, cheap to buy snacks and ice-creams for the children. I would stay here again if visiting Bali, it is good value overall, the price I paid was far cheaper than anywhere else and keeping that in mind I was very happy with my stay.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank LouisePWestLancs
Reviewed January 19, 2013

I stayed in this hotel with my 3 friends a week back.We took the 2 room superior unit.It was worth the price we paid.The place was nice.We had our own living room and kitchenette(not that we needed one) The whole ambience of the unit was rather good.We had a plasma TV with many channels -both local and international.
The bathroom was not bad for the price we paid.Hot water was always available.It was also kept clean by the room service people.However they forgot to supply enough shower gels and other toiletries that they were supposed to and we had to ask for it.Our beds were good.Had a sound sleep.There is also a couch in the living room which is pretty comfy and good enough to sleep on if the need arises.Breakfast at Kopi Langit was really good but most food were served cold which i disliked.Otherwise its perfect.The Wi-Fi bit got me and my friends really annoyed.We were all having smartphones and when we are back from our daily visit we just wanna kick back and surf the net and stuff like that but Umalas made it so inconvenient for us as the password they provide us expires every 3hours which doesnt really make sense! And then we have to login to their main page using another password which really got us frustrated!I mean i dont get it.Its just a wi-fi connection why cant they just stick to one password rather than making the guests change it every 3 hours.That part really got us very annoyed.We have all stayed in many hotels in many parts of the world but yet to see this happening in any of those hotels we stayed in.

As far the location is concerned it was pretty close to Kuta.About 10-15 mins drive.We had a dedicated driver so we didnt use the cab service much.Even if you use the cabs it would just cost you around 40k to 50k idr.

The hotel is situated in a quiet neighbourhood.No complains here..I dont mind staying here if only they would sort out the Wi-Fi issue.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
6  Thank LizzieBennet1982
Agus S, General Manager at Umalas Hotel and Residence, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2013

Dear Mr. Bennet,
Thank you for your feedback toward Umalas Hotel and Residence Seminyak and we are glad to have it for our future development to a better service. some of your feedback I have listed such as "Breakfast at Kopi Langit was really good but most food were served cold which i disliked", we have had a meeting with our chef and discussed about the food and would need it to be seen as good feedback. Though I've got commented from staff that our food mostly served hot but still we see this as lack of problem that need to be solved in the future.
Regarding shower Gel and other toiletries, we have improved it by providing one additional toiletries and shower gel are based on contents. If empty we will replace it immediately. We have discussed with our housekeeping to make it faster to replace everything with new one when requested.
WIFI is provided now 24 hours on daily basis and no longer every 3 hours.

I thank you for your feedback and look forward to welcoming you to Umalas Hotel and Residence Seminyak, Kuta - Bali.

Best regards, // Ulatun Nyunda (Mr) - General Manager

Reviewed January 15, 2013 via mobile

Nice place but nothing spectacular. Out of the way whixh had some appeal. Tried hard and service was good. The wifi system is plain stupid and the restaurant whilst pretty good was rendered useless in windy or rainy days. Pool was ok too

• Stayed: January 2013