“Second time was not nearly as good”

The Wolas Villas & Spa
Reviewed April 18, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here for a second time on our recent trip to bali. The first time we stayed it was great - no complaints, hence he booked it for a second time for our last visit. The hotel is really nice but the thing that really let me down was the wifi. When i booked the Wolas Villas it clearly stated that all the villas had wifi access, and we were given the codes for the wifi on arrival. But throughout the entire trip we were unable to use the wifi successfully for longer that 2 minutes, if we were able to log on to use it at all. For some, wifi may be a completely unnecessary thing when going to bali for a relaxing holiday. But my work means that I need constant access to the internet. I voiced my concern the the staff on numerous occasions, and whilst they seemed to be trying to help, they didn't do anything to actually fix the problem. The problem was clearly a result of the hotel owner choosing not to get a internet connection that is efficient (i.e. to cut costs) and even though the owner was walking around the hotel, she didn't seem to have been alerted to the issue by staff. I would not stay at the Wolas Villas again purely because i cannot afford such unreliable service, and certainly can't afford to be ignored when the issue is brought to the attention of the staff. In addition I left something at the hotel, and emailed them to ask if they had found it in the room, and I received no response. I am not angry that they didn't find my belongings (I should have thoroughly checked the room before i left - that part was my fault) but to not respond to an email is just rude - it shows a complete lack of customer service and as a result i would not recommend the Wolas Villas to anyone!

Also the breakfast is absolutely terrible - we ended up eating at restaurants every morning. the hotel restaurant is equally awful - when i got home from dinner one night i felt like some dessert so made the mistake of ordering the creme caramel from the room service and it was HORRIBLE - i literally had one spoon of it which i spat out immediately it was that repulsive!
Also the bath had a hair in it when we got there, and there was mould around the plug holes on the bath and sinks which grosses me out - the cleaning department obviously just wipes the bathroom, and doesn't "scrub" it properly. Also there was mould on the bedroom wall.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Made S, Manager at The Wolas Villas & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 19, 2012

Dear Guest,
Greetings from The Wolas Villa and Spa @ Seminyak Bali .

Thank you for your valuable feedback and for taking the time to write a comment of your experience with us on TripAdvisor.com.

Firstly, please accept my sincerest apology for the inconvenience you experienced whilst staying with us second time ..
We have note all comment from you and please rest assured that appropriate action has been taken by our departments concerns, to handle and we will definitively continue to improve our service to make your next stay with us will be at a higher level of satisfaction.

Total customer satisfaction is our utmost priority and it is thanks to your constructive feedback and comments that we are able to maintain and further improve on our service standards.

In closing I would like to thank you for choosing The Wolas Villa and Spa . I hope that I will have the opportunity to welcome you back to our resort on your next visit to Bali and please contact me directly should your travel plans bring you back to Bali and hopefully our Villa. I will personally take care of the arrangement to ensure your next experience with us is a flawless one.

Best personal regards

Reviewed April 18, 2012

We first stayed at Wolas villas in September 2011, my husband (gqhickey) has posted a detailed review dated Jan 22nd 2012 of the hotel facilities. Needless to say it was brilliant, hence this review of our return trip is more about our experience.

After being greated by all the familiar faces that not only remembered us but also the month and villa we occupied on our first trip; our check in was completed in 5mins, during which the general manager Suparta advised us that we had been upgraded to a larger room. Now for those that have stayed at Wolas and know how big the villas are, let me say the upgraded room is just massive. For those that haven't previously stayed, the standard room is large enough to entertain 6-8 people. Although the villa amenities remain unchanged, the shear size of the room more than justifies the phrase "room upgrade".

Suparta also invited us to a cocktail party on our first evening, one is held every month for the guests and is a great platform to meet with the friendly staff and experience some wonderful food and cocktails.

As I don't wish to replicate my husbands review, I will surmise by saying everything we loved about Wolas during our first visit is still present. It is that consistency of quality rooms and service that resulted in us booking a third stay at Wolas before we had even finished our second stay.

The Mosquitos still remain, however the staff do all that they can to minimize their impact by ensuring mosi coils are always burning in your villa, spaying your room during the morning room service and daily evening turndown service, in addition to fogging twice weekly. With that knowledge in mind and the fact mosi's are everywhere in Bali, it didn't really bother us. It is however nice to know they are about so you can be prepared rather than surprised or perhaps disappointed. Hence why It is worth mentioning.

For us though, there is one thing that makes Wolas exceptional, and that is the staff. Any request regardless how big or small is delt with promptly, correctly and with a massive smile on their faces. A classic example of this is during a discussion with Arthana (a duty manager) in which we asked him what one of his favorite meals was. Arthana told what it was and then asked if we would like him to come into our room and cook it for us! To us that was just brilliant, as was the meal he cooked which we will be cooking every Sunday for lunch.

Another example was when Suparta invited us to dinner to taste some dishes for their new menu as a way to thank us for returning to Wolas. I could offer up many more examples of how the staff not only made us feel special throughout our entire stay but also made us feel like Wolas is our second home. If you are thinking about staying at the Wolas just do it and be sure to be nice to Arthana, wida, Arina, muda, mustika, susi, mei, agus, and Surparta so they are still there when we head back in September.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Greetings from The Wolas villa and Spa @ Seminyak Bali..

I am glad to know that you had an amazing stay with us the second time and meet your expectation.The guest satisfactions is our priority,that's way we always do improvement to maintain the quality of services and product to meet high level standard

I have shared your comments to the rest of my team at The Wolas villa and Spa,
and we look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back a third stay on september 2012 to The Wolas Villa and Spa .

Reviewed April 15, 2012

My husband and I had stayed at Wolas Villas in mid March, having bought a secret hotel deal on wotif.com. It was our first time to Bali and we were celbrating our wedding anniversary. On arrival (around midnight) one of the lovely staff members, Ari showed us around our room and we realised they had an anniversary cake already in the fridge for us.The villas are absoltuely amazing with a huge bedroom (VERY comfy bed), lovely balinese style living area and a fantastic pool which is very large and private. We had breakfast in our room every day and found it to be great and the serving size to be suitable.
All staff were extremely polite, friendly and helpful and they made our stay very special. For me the only negative was the distance to eat street. As mentioned by others reviewers, cabs are very cheap at around $2-$5 however we would still prefer to be within walking distance from the action and Wolas is just a little too far for that.
Our overall holiday was fantastic though and our time spent at Wolas was very relaxing an enjoyable, we hardlly left the villa!

1  Thank JeanniesDiary
Made S, General Manager at The Wolas Villas & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2012

Greetings from The Wolas Villa and Spa,

We are very delighted to hear that entire your recent experiences during stay with us were memorable time and meet your expectation. Thank you for your appraised to Ari one of our Front Office staff who served you upon arrival.The guests' satisfactions is our utmost priority, that's way we always do improvement to maintain the quality of services and product to meet high level standard.

I have shared your testimonial to the rest of our associates at The Wolas Villa and Spa.

I and team would like to thank you for choosing The Wolas Villa and Spa and I sincerely hope that you will return in the near future.

Reviewed April 4, 2012

We stayed here late last year and found the staff very attentive and overall the villa was awesome.
Shame the pool was a bit green,I only found out after I had dived in .....in the dark. Ha ha that will teach me to look before I leap.
Wolas is a nice place albeit a little expensive but having said that we both enjoyed the ambiance.

Room Tip: Turn on the pool lights first
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nic M
Made S, Manager at The Wolas Villas & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2012

Greetings from The Wolas Villa and Spa @ Seminyak,

Thank you for your valuable feedback and for taking the time to post a comment of your experience with us at TripAdvisor.com.

I have noted your comment in regards pool was bit green and will follow up in an effort to continuously improve the quality the pool to be always stable at anytime.

I would like to thank your for choosing The Wolas Villa and Spa and I sincerely hope that you will return in the near future.

With my best regards,
Operation manager

Reviewed March 28, 2012

Spending 7 nights at The Wolas was amazing. The accommodation was first class with great bedrooms, bathrooms, lounge and kitchen. The best part was the luxury of the pool, you can not see anyone all day of you want! You can enjoy the villas serenity and then join the mayhem of the real Bali when you are ready.
The staff were very friendly and remembered our names and our conversations. Next time we go to Bali we will be returning to The Wolas.

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank mbrideson
Made S, Manager at The Wolas Villas & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2012

Greetings from The Wolas Villa and Spa@seminyak,

Thank you for your valuable feedback and for taking the time to post a comment of your experience with us on TripAdvisor.com

.I’m happy to know that you have enjoyed our product and services. I will gladly share it with all the team. This will certainly motivated them to keep up the good work

I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to The Wolas Villa and Spa on your next visit to Bali, Paradise of the Island.

Sincerely Yours,
I Made Suparta / Operation Manager

Reviewed March 21, 2012

What a great place this is! My wife and I stayed there for six nights from Feb 26 to Mar 2 this year and from the welcome to the departure, we enjoyed every minute. The staff were always friendly, the management were always there to chat and to ensure things went well. Nothing was any trouble and if ever other hotels need an example of how to provide customer service, they should come and stay here - this was an example of what others should achieve. Friendly, personal yet never intrusive. I could not recommend a place more highly. And our privacy was respected at all times - excellent stay.

2  Thank Peter J
Made S, Manager at The Wolas Villas & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 23, 2012

Greetings from The Wolas Villa and Spa@seminyak,

We are very delighted to hear that entire your recent experiences during stay with us were memorable time and meet your expectation. Total guest satisfaction is our utmost priority and it is thanks to your feedback and comments that we are able to maintain on our product and service standard

Suparta /Operation Manager

Reviewed March 14, 2012

We stayed at the Wolas from 7-14 March and for us it was amazing. The villas are exactly as the photos show, the staff are incredibly attentive but not intrusive and nothing was too much trouble for them.
The rooms are well thought out and comfortable, they were cleaned in the morning and turned down at the end of the day.
We were recommended a great driver, who took us all over in a clean, air conditioned and well driven car. We had our own ideas of what and where we wanted to go, but his knowledge and negoiating skills just made our outings.
The grounds are lush and were always being tended to, they really have created a relaxing oasis.
They have paid attention to the little things, the mozzie coils and spring water in the villa were a godsend.
The pool was a decent size, bigger than a plunge pool and sparkling. The location of the villas meant that you had the right amount of sun and shade.
I did have a massage at the spa and that too was great.
There was a slight hiccup with not being picked up at the airport as requested but was kindly rectified by offering to pay for the taxi fare and allowing us to check in at 9.30am.
We were very happy with the food served and had the chef cook us a BBQ poolside in our villa, so can highly recommend it, the meat was fantastic and cooked to perfection.
However if you prefer going out, Ultimo and Ku De Ta are just a short taxi ride away.
As we prefer a quieter scene, the location was ideal for us, it is about a 15 minute walk into the heart of Seminyak but only 20,000 rupiah by taxi, you just have to remember to tell the taxi driver that the villas are at the Kunti end.
Overall, for us it was perfect, quiet, clean, classy, with fantastic staff and set amongst beautiful grounds and without a doubt we will be back, 7 days were just not enough!
I honestly have nothing bad to say, yeah slight hiccup with pick up but Made organized an early check in and the Internet can be slow, but I wasn't there to surf the net etc.
Again, a huge thanks to Made and his amazing staff who made our holiday very special.
Jeff & Nichola

Room Tip: For a great driver, call Ketut on 0813 3839 5666.
4  Thank Nelsta
Made S, Manager at The Wolas Villas & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2012

Dear Guest
Greetings from The Wolas Villa and Spa @ Seminyak!

Thank you for taking some of your precious time to share your recent experience with us here at The Wolas Villa and Spa.

We are glad to hear that your holiday was lovely and you have enjoyed your stay with us.

Total guest satisfaction is our utmost priority and it is thanks to your constructive feedback and comments that we are able to maintain and further improve on our service standards.

We would like to thank you for giving us the opportunity of being of service to you during your recent visit to Bali and look forward to another opportunity of welcoming you back again to The Wolas Villa and Spa@ Seminyak , Bali in the near future.

With best regards