“Another wonderful stay at Chandra! Great location, beautiful villa and wonderful staff.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Chandra Luxury Villas Bali

Chandra Luxury Villas Bali
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

This was our 2nd stay at Chandra Villas in Seminyak (and our 11th family trip to Bali with our 2 young children in the last 5 years). After staying at Chandra in July 2013, we were so impressed that we had actually booked a return stay before check-out! Chandra used to be managed by Larry at 8Hotels (based in Sydney) who did an absolutely amazing job at ensuring our first stay was perfect, so I was very apprehensive to hear that he had left 8Hotels and that local management had taken over end of last year. Whilst I noted that some aspects of our stay perhaps were a little less "polished" compared to our last visit, the local staff are extremely good and Chandra remains a wonderful place to stay!

As a Bali destination, we love staying in Seminyak primarily because of the fantastic restaurants and the great shopping. Chandra villas are perfectly located - a short 5 min walk along a few laneways to "Eat Street", or take a prettier but longer walk past the Oberoi which takes you closer to the beach. The villa experience in Bali is a great alternative to staying in a hotel - more spacious, more private & more personalised. Shortcomings include lack of a larger resort pool, gym & onsite restaurants (although they do offer room service from local restaurants for a small $3 fee, in-villa private BBQ; and they can arrange in-villa personal training sessions). Seminyak is full of villas, and Chandra offers a great villa experience - something similar along the beach in trendy Seminyak will cost you twice as much, and other similar priced villas are nowhere near as conveniently positioned to the main restaurants & shops as Chandra is.

This year we chose to pay a bit more & stay in a 3 bedroom villa, partly to have more space and to have the option of inviting family to come & stay too. Whilst we really enjoyed our 2 bedroom villa last year, we loved the layout & spaciousness of the 3 bedroom - larger living area, larger pool, larger sun deck, larger master bedroom. Bedrooms 2 & 3 and their respective bathrooms were otherwise very similar to the bedrooms of the 2 BR villa.

THE GREAT THINGS:- lovely spacious villa, nice pool (large & cleaned every morning), luxurious outdoor oval baths & showers, nice aromatherapy amenities, great service, complimentary shuttle to local shopping & restaurants (we would simply ring the front desk 10 mins before leaving), great location in Seminyak as only a 5 min walk to Seminyak Square, shops & Eat St, complex feels very safe & secure, fabulous in-villa spa therapists (bring portable massage tables into the villa), delicious cooked breakfast in your villa at your preferred time every morning, great in-villa dining menu available all day from various local establishments delivered to your villa for a small $3 delivery fee

THE MINOR SHORTCOMINGS:- not beachfront, villas are starting to show the signs of wear & tear, surrounding streetfront not particularly aesthetic compared to resorts on the main streets (however, this is also an advantage because being tucked away behind the main street also means that you have a lovely quiet oasis!), lack of hotel facilities (eg gym, kids club, main pool, 24hr room service – however they do offer in-villa personal trainer sessions for a fee if you feel so inclined, and babysitting services), VIP meet-&-greet service utilised by the hotel was more expensive but not as professional as others we have used (arriving late for family on a different flight after they had already cleared immigration & customs but then not confessing to the hotel so we were still charged until I'd brought it to the hotel's attention), this year the service was not quite as "polished" as last year (in a very small way, but it was so wonderful last year, that the slightly-less-than-perfect minor issues of this year were noticed)

THE VILLA:- We stayed in villa 9 which had 3 large bedrooms each with ensuite bathrooms (all with outdoor showers & oval baths), and a large open plan living, dining and kitchen overlooking the private pool with its large sun deck. The open plan living is an alfresco layout so it isn’t air-conditioned & was prone to mosquitoes (as were the outdoor bathrooms). However, every evening the staff would set up mosquito coils in all the outdoor areas at the turndown service - last year we didn’t seem to have any major issues with insect bites, but this year, a few of our travelling party did which I suspect may have been weather related (unusually mild for this time of year). The bedrooms were very comfortable with effective air conditioning, large flat screen TVs, large dressing/robe room, and lots of natural light and a lovely outlook over the outdoor bathroom & gardens/pool. The villa shows some minor signs of wear & tear, however overall it was extremely well maintained and everything appeared to be in good working order. We did have an issue with the air-conditioning in bedroom 2 turning itself off during the day, but the turndown staff were familiar with its idiosyncratic behaviour & would ensure it was on again in preparation for the evening ahead.

So an excellent stay once again in this lovely villa complex, well-priced and conveniently located to the shops & restaurants of Seminyak, with wonderful staff. We look forward to staying at Chandra again soon!

Room Tip: 2 bedroom villas are lovely, but we loved the extra spaciousness of the 3 bedroom villa
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank CarKri02

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

We had a fantastic stay at Chsndra and would definately recommend. We travelled with 2 teenage girls and the 2 bedroom villa was very spacious and suited us perfectly. The rooms very lovely and the beds and pillows super comfortable. Lots of good night sleep!!! Bathrooms also huge and well equipped.

The location was excellent, just a short stroll to the beach / Ku De Ta in in direction and the centre if town in the other. Very happy with location.

The staff were probably the best part of our stay. Always welcoming, friendly and accommodating. Our breakfast was delicious every morning and there was generally always a mini can and driver available for a lift if we needed to go a little further afield.

Would recommend Chandra to families or groups. Really great and would stay again.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank THEFABULOUSVICTORS
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

This is a difficult review to write as the villa itself is amazing but the issues we had during our check in and during our stay make me question whether I would return here.

CONS -
Upon booking we were requester to pay a 35% deposit and the balance upon check in. I was given bank details to transfer and never received confirmation or receipt until I followed up. I attempted to use Maestro to pay my balance when checking in and was told it was not possible. I was give the option of credit card which attracts a 2% fee or cash. My balance was $1560 AUD but when they used their exchange rate this came out at $1615 AUD (+ 2%). I asked if I could transfer the balance the same way I paid the deposit and was advised they have closed their Australian account so unless I wanted to withdraw over 17,000,000 rp from the bank I had no option but to cop the fee. Had this been made clearer in the initial booking documentation I could have bought cash. I appreciate this is not the staff of Chandra's fault however I asked on several occasions to see the manager who never appeared. On the night before we left the receptionist told me the manager could see me at 10am the next morning but as that the day we were checking out I said not to bother.
My next problem came when I tried to book transportation to our next hotel. With my initial booking I asked for a price which came back at $25 USD. When I tried to arrange it with Chandra's reception they told me it would cost 420,000 rp (including tax). When I showed them my email they responded by saying the person that sent the email no longer works for 8Hotels. After a call to the manager and much negotiation they agreed to the price I was initially quoted as long as I paid the 21% tax on top.
After reading reviews from previous guests of Chandra I emailed prior to arriving requesting a room not to far from reception and with a pool that gets lots of sun. We ended up in villa 3A. Hardly any sun and about as far from reception as you can get.
The air conditioning in the second bedroom hardly worked and after several visits from the maintenance man he said he did the best he can but the unit was old and not powerful enough. I read from other guests that stayed last year in the same villa that they has the same concerns and yet 6 months on nothing has been done to fix it.
Although there are large flat screens in both bedrooms there was no tv in the main living room meaning at night if we wanted to watch a DVD or TV we had to do it in the bedroom separately

PROS -
The villa itself was lovely. We are a family of 3 and had plenty of space but if you had four adults who wanted to lie in the sun you would be fighting over the one double lounge available.
Evi who cooked our breakfast and cleaned our room was lovely. She did an excellent job and was done quite quickly.
The pool man comes in daily to make sure the pool and garden are clean.
At night someone comes in to tidy, put out mosquito coils and turn down the bed.
The massage we had in the villa was amazing! I have had many massages in Bali and this was by far the best ever! Unlike most in room/villa massages she bought a proper table as opposed to doing it in the bed.
Compared to other Seminyak villas, Chandra is quite close to the beach (the map is a bit deceptive as you have to walk down the lane behind Oberoi for a about 10 mins) and about 15-20mins walk to Seminyak Square. The free shuttle is very handy as the lane way is full of bikes and cars and can be daunting!
There is no food available other than breakfast but in the villa there are several menus from great restaurants that will deliver for the equivalent of $3. The menus don't state it but all prices are then plus tax.

Having been to Bali about 20 times I know that there will always be issues along the way and I also know there is an abundance of hotels and villas to choose from. My husband is keen to stay at Chandra again yet I am undecided....

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
2 Thank MrsHand3121
Seeds-HM, Manager at Chandra Luxury Villas Bali, responded to this review, July 25, 2014
Dear MrsHand3121,

First and foremost thank you for giving us your feedback and Please kindly accept our sincere apologies for the unfortunate experience you had to go through.

It was an unfortunate situation that we had the transition period from the former management team of 8hotels with the new one. We understand that it should not be a reason to have our service level down.

The comment that you raised were shared with the villa team, and we are currently fixing our tree trimming programs so we can have the best of sun exposure in that particular villa.

In closing, thank you for taking the time to review us. We are grateful for your feedback as it enables us to continually monitor our guest’s requirements and we do hope that we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Chandra Villas again.

Best wishes,
Fandy Irawan
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

Have just returned from 9 nights at Chandra Villas staying in a 2 bedroom villa and can absolutely recommend them for their location, quality of accommodation and service. In short, they delivered on everything we expected and if there was ever any (small) issues they were dealt with straight away. Nothing was a problem, accommodation was great quality and importantly private, clean and comfortable. We would stay here again for sure.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank MrFrase
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2014

We were blessed to find Chandra Luxury Villas! What a property. We travelled in a family group and organised both a 3 bedroom (Villa 3) and 2 bedroom (Villa 3a). Our package included airport transfers; welcome drink; breakfast daily; and a complimentary massage. The villas themselves are simply amazing. Each room is huge and has its own bathroom. No kidding - each room and bathroom is bigger than my house in Sydney! The staff from security, reception and room attendants were all fantastic and couldn't be faulted whatsoever. The breakfast every morning was delicious, especially the pancakes.

The location is away from the hustle and bustle of Seminyak but only a 5 minute walk away - perfect. The beach is also really close (cut through KuDeTa to access the beach). This was my first trip to Bali and I felt absolutely safe the entire time whilst at Chandra.

I would highly recommend Chandra to anyone looking to go to Bali - you will not be disappointed.

Also the complimentary Balinese massage was fabulous.

Room Tip: I think any villa at Chandra would be fantastic!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014 via mobile

We will be back to this little sanctuary down the lane way! Been to Bali many times but this was the best accommodation so far. Walking distance to shops, restaurants and body works spa. Also a quick walk to KuDeTa!! Immaculate presentation, amazing pool and wonderful staff. Loved it!!

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Ilovesugar
Newcastle, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

We booked a 2 bedroom villa via GroupOn and were wowed by this place. So how was it? Fabulous!

Location: You can walk to the main shopping area (about 10 minutes) but it's so damn hot, it's easier to to get a cab or the resort's mini bus (if available). A cab ride shouldn't be more than 50,000 rupiah (about AU$4.50).
Everything is close - KuDeTa, PotatoHead, restaurants (highly recommend the new restaurant upstairs at KuDeTa - I've eaten at hatted restaurants and the food here is of that standard), shopping, day spas (go to Bodyworks - spent 4 hours there on day 1 and it set me up for the rest of the holiday!).

Staff: Again, wonderful. From the breakfasts to the reception supplying my husband with sunburn cream. Friendly and lovely.

Villa: see the photos :) Absolutely no complaints. It was quiet yet close to everything. The staff even brought us through some pool floaties - a little boat and a froggy! And we have no kids! If I'm going to be super picky, the air con could do with replacing. It wasn't quite cold enough. But that's it. I can't think of a single other thing. It's all very private with high walls around each villa.

The pool was heaven to jump into after a day out in the heat.

We had 5 nights here but wished we'd booked longer!

Room Tip: Peeking through the doors of villas on our way through, they all look amazing. You'd be hard pre...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple