This is a difficult review to write as the villa itself is amazing but the issues we had during our check in and during our stay make me question whether I would return here.
Upon booking we were requester to pay a 35% deposit and the balance upon check in. I was given bank details to transfer and never received confirmation or receipt until I followed up. I attempted to use Maestro to pay my balance when checking in and was told it was not possible. I was give the option of credit card which attracts a 2% fee or cash. My balance was $1560 AUD but when they used their exchange rate this came out at $1615 AUD (+ 2%). I asked if I could transfer the balance the same way I paid the deposit and was advised they have closed their Australian account so unless I wanted to withdraw over 17,000,000 rp from the bank I had no option but to cop the fee. Had this been made clearer in the initial booking documentation I could have bought cash. I appreciate this is not the staff of Chandra's fault however I asked on several occasions to see the manager who never appeared. On the night before we left the receptionist told me the manager could see me at 10am the next morning but as that the day we were checking out I said not to bother.
My next problem came when I tried to book transportation to our next hotel. With my initial booking I asked for a price which came back at $25 USD. When I tried to arrange it with Chandra's reception they told me it would cost 420,000 rp (including tax). When I showed them my email they responded by saying the person that sent the email no longer works for 8Hotels. After a call to the manager and much negotiation they agreed to the price I was initially quoted as long as I paid the 21% tax on top.
After reading reviews from previous guests of Chandra I emailed prior to arriving requesting a room not to far from reception and with a pool that gets lots of sun. We ended up in villa 3A. Hardly any sun and about as far from reception as you can get.
The air conditioning in the second bedroom hardly worked and after several visits from the maintenance man he said he did the best he can but the unit was old and not powerful enough. I read from other guests that stayed last year in the same villa that they has the same concerns and yet 6 months on nothing has been done to fix it.
Although there are large flat screens in both bedrooms there was no tv in the main living room meaning at night if we wanted to watch a DVD or TV we had to do it in the bedroom separately
The villa itself was lovely. We are a family of 3 and had plenty of space but if you had four adults who wanted to lie in the sun you would be fighting over the one double lounge available.
Evi who cooked our breakfast and cleaned our room was lovely. She did an excellent job and was done quite quickly.
The pool man comes in daily to make sure the pool and garden are clean.
At night someone comes in to tidy, put out mosquito coils and turn down the bed.
The massage we had in the villa was amazing! I have had many massages in Bali and this was by far the best ever! Unlike most in room/villa massages she bought a proper table as opposed to doing it in the bed.
Compared to other Seminyak villas, Chandra is quite close to the beach (the map is a bit deceptive as you have to walk down the lane behind Oberoi for a about 10 mins) and about 15-20mins walk to Seminyak Square. The free shuttle is very handy as the lane way is full of bikes and cars and can be daunting!
There is no food available other than breakfast but in the villa there are several menus from great restaurants that will deliver for the equivalent of $3. The menus don't state it but all prices are then plus tax.
Having been to Bali about 20 times I know that there will always be issues along the way and I also know there is an abundance of hotels and villas to choose from. My husband is keen to stay at Chandra again yet I am undecided....
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Luxury Villas in Seminyak. Situated in the Oberoi area of Seminyak, north of Legian, our two and three-bedroom villas represent the very best in luxury holiday accommodation. You’ll enjoy the independence of your own exquisitely decorated home and the easy-living convenience of maid service, with chef on demand. Relax by your private pool or stroll to any of the local beaches – Seminyak, Petitenget, Gado-Gado or Kudeta.If you’ve been yearning for a Bali villa holiday, Chandra will bring your dream to life. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotwire, Booking.com, Agoda, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Chandra Luxury Villas Bali reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Chandra Luxury Villas Bali - By 8 Hotel Seminyak
- Chandra Luxury Villas Bali Seminyak